Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:16:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:59:48 AM

I think devcoin needs something else added to it... it should be used for something else, bitcoin has gambling sites, black markets, and is widely accepted as a currency both online and not online. Devcoin is really not all that much though. We should get more online things to accept devcoin if we want the value to rise. I think (if I am allowed) more bounties should go out to people that want to make more devcoin accepted businesses. Lets say I am just some random person that thinks the ethical idea is cool, why would I buy a ton of them if they really can not be spent on a ton of things? I know this message may have a bad sound to it but I really think that more bounties must be offered for more businesses if we want the value to rise and if we want more people to accept this coin. I love devcoin and I think this would be in its best interests for growth.
Thanks,
-AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:18:30 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 08:37:45 AM by sidhujag

Doesn't static waste a huge amount of RAM? At least if lots of coins all are static doesn't that stop them sharing code pages for all the libs they all have in common?

We still haven't gotten the RAM hogging fix into all the merged mined coins and already people want to start making them hog more for libs they all use?

Or is there some smarts in the sharing that will notice the static libs are the same and share them?

-MarkM-

My issue with sharing code is that software changes and breaks compatibility so since coins have their own repos and developers things change amd invalidate commonalities.. I would rather not be involved in debugging a problem that ends up being because the other executablr used a different version of libcurl that doesnt have multithreading enabled. Each of thr dependant libs can be built with different options and changes the code so sharing across coins is probably asking for trouble.

Only ram it takes is loading it on execution versus demand.. I dont see it as a problem its 40 megs on startup looks ok to me.

The original memory problem you refer to should be fixed because I included the changed rsnel made to serealize auxpow blocks to disk in cdiskblockheader instead of memory only.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:32:57 AM

The Android wallet is showing strange behaviour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KO2UBsDEs

It does not seem to update the block chain properly. Can you look into this before I try to pay some coins into this wallet?

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:44:25 AM

The Android wallet is showing strange behaviour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KO2UBsDEs

It does not seem to update the block chain properly. Can you look into this before I try to pay some coins into this wallet?
Hi Weckel,

Nothing strange I see? Its doing version check with devcoin nodes 32500 and 32400 and severing connection?

You need to point to your new wallet node. Run new wallet 1.0.12 on your computer and set your internet ip address in your android wallet settings and say in there to skip normal peer activity select the checkbox.

You should connect to it and stay connected.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 08:47:04 AM

Doesn't static waste a huge amount of RAM? At least if lots of coins all are static doesn't that stop them sharing code pages for all the libs they all have in common?

We still haven't gotten the RAM hogging fix into all the merged mined coins and already people want to start making them hog more for libs they all use?

Or is there some smarts in the sharing that will notice the static libs are the same and share them?

-MarkM-

no, not any magic that will detect libs static linked into other binarys. the only advantage is redistributing easily and professionally.

Yes Mark you're right, no need to distributed devcoind static, because all those people using devcoind will be sys admins, that they are not likely to use directly binarys and will prefer to build themselves. I think sidhujag may refer to devcoin-qt linux version, instead of devcoind.

I hope so. It gets tiresome having to meddle with the makefiles of all the coin daemons to make sure they all use dynamic linking.

Especially for merged mined coins it makes sense to assume people will run many of the daemons.

-MarkM-

EDIT: P.S. dll ? Ouch. I don't care what crap windows people use just don't make the makefile.unix for the daemon force everything to static.

dlls for windows have always been a shocking horror story. Linux type distros though tend to do dynamic libs rather well.

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:51:03 AM

-MarkM-

no, not any magic that will detect libs static linked into other binarys. the only advantage is redistributing easily and professionally.

Yes Mark you're right, no need to distributed devcoind static, because all those people using devcoind will be sys admins, that they are not likely to use directly binarys and will prefer to build themselves. I think sidhujag may refer to devcoin-qt linux version, instead of devcoind.

I hope so. It gets tiresome having to meddle with the makefiles of all the coin daemons to make sure they all use dynamic linking.

Especially for merged mined coins it makes sense to assume people will run many of the daemons.

-MarkM-

Ok I will change it to link dynamically. But the libs them selves will be statically built to avoid putting in runtime libs sound fair?

I left other makefiles alone expect a dev to fix and give me the updated file for each os.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 08:53:58 AM

What do you mean runtime libs?

To build a coin you need all the -devel packages from your distro for all the libs it depends on, if you want static libs for some distro things you also need maybe not jsut the -devel package but also a package containing specifically static libs, not all -devel packages even contain the static libs maybe. (Not sure if that applies specifically to the current set of dependencies bitcoin-derived coins have or not though, just in general some packages have a -static separate from the -dev or -devel package.)

Mind you there are security reasons for insisting on static libs when distributing binaries.

I am concerned with when the users are going to do their own compiling, because in that case the static libs that came from their distro system are as easily caused to be corrupt as the dynamic libs that came from their distro system so no security advantage to making them use the static ones.

I think bitcoin's makefile.unix makes some things static moostly because the creators of the makefile planned to use it themselves to make binaries for distribution.

Maybe it should have a make distro separate from a make bitcoind or something like that so the special case of making binaries to distribute doesn't spoil the dynamicness of when you make binaries for your own use. Or just not default to assuming everyone is normally making binaries to distribute but rather that they are normally making binaries to execute.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:56:16 AM

c++ gcc runtimes although i prob need them anyways for the base src. I will build it and create a new version to test.

Yea I guess but running multiple daemons at once prob makes sense to have dynamic linking.. even for qt better to just do the same since its in the same dir.
Wekkel
Legendary

yes

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:11:21 AM

Hi Weckel,

Nothing strange I see? Its doing version check with devcoin nodes 32500 and 32400 and severing connection?

You need to point to your new wallet node. Run new wallet 1.0.12 on your computer and set your internet ip address in your android wallet settings and say in there to skip normal peer activity select the checkbox.

This is a bit too technical for me. I think I can manage if you elaborate on this.

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:23:34 AM

Hi Weckel,

This is a bit too technical for me. I think I can manage if you elaborate on this.

you can use my node, just change settings-> trusted peer to "d.evco.in", and restart the wallet.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:29:46 AM

Where is 1.0.12 available from anyways? Is that the one that's on Devcoin.org now (under wallet -> Windows -> Windows Installer)?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Wekkel
Legendary

yes

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:49:14 AM

you can use my node, just change settings-> trusted peer to "d.evco.in", and restart the wallet.

Got it. Test plan below for this evening. Please add if you think I missed something.

1FPEkkq8giG2biXhzstPDJseqMypVHaoEL (Android wallet)

silvercardbank

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:41:49 PM

It is interesting that ebay is going to allow digital currency on their U.K. site in February but not on the U.S. one.... that is a step in the right direction but still very annoying. If anyone on the forum is from the U.K. and planning on selling Devcoins, maybe something can be worked out to get more listings up and going for Devcoin in Feb.

I had all of my Devcoin listings canceled on ebay on the U.S. site a few days ago.

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-uk-virtual-currency-february/

This has been a common problem for me in the uk . i have been selling loads of devcoin over the past few months and that is all i sell on ebay.

this is ebays uk response to digital currency.

Please know that per our recent policy update, Virtual currency (i.e. Bitcoin and Litecoin), whether digitally or physically delivered cannot be listed in Auction-style and Buy-It-Now listing formats. eBay is opening a Virtual Currency category to allow the sale of virtual currency in Classified Ads format on February 10, 2014. We request that you do not list these items until that date. Alternatively, you may list your item on the eBay.com site in the Coins & Paper Money>Virtual Currency Category in Classified Ad format.

i am up for doing all i can for devcoin on the uk site once i am allowed to list on the 10th feb.
all my adds have been removed now but i still have one remaining on the US site that seems to have been overlooked and has been ticking along steadyly introducing people at 500 dvc and fetching $1.99

i have also been doing some creative marketing on ebay to get out of the coin section to avoid detection and still introduce people to devcoin by advertizing mobile phone top up vouchers , explaining i can also email the code to them if they need it faster than a bitcoin transaction.
 i also include a free offer of 500 devcoin and free digital wallet to sample in the advert.

Top up voucher cades are are a form of digital currency that can be exchanged for any other currency, and i am very interested in creating a website for the uk pay as you go phone top up market as i mentioned in this thead a few days ago when i made contact with melodie who acceps bitcoin and devcoin as payment for website building and coding.

I have asked kissmyweb to put this project on the back burner while i research and  see what interest i can drum up to raise funds to pay for such a trading platform working on BTCC/top up codes.

I want to somehow incorporate devcoin. 

As devcoin is the developers coin it could and should be used to develop anything.

devcoin is now a writercoin because of the assciation with the devtome wiki
It could also be a phonecoin if associated with a new website dedicated to trading airtime on the uk telecomunications network.
none of the uk networks accept cryptocurrencys yet .
Most of there customers use pay as you go phones because they do not have a bank account.
I see a masive gap in the market and an oppertunity that needs to be filled .
like a virtual atm  people can obtain bitcoin/devcoin by simply purchasing a top up code from any store and forward it to the website for exchange.

i am not sure how the bountys work really and thats not my motivation , i have been in touch with the large distributors of airtime to enquire about buying airtime at wholesale prices and the door is slamed tight as the whole network is owned by one company and is monoplised to protect all the payment processers and retailers commisions down the chain .

the end users themselves will sell a top up voucher cheaper than the producers that create them !

many distributors have their own sim card produced,they make huge commisions from the network providor every time the sim card it toped up with airtime . i propose devcoin somehow develops its own simcard to a real income can be generated and all its members get to share in the discounts as well undercutting the man thats ripping us all off. 

Been looking at cryptostocks and bitcoinstarter but not sure how succefull these sites are at attracting investors.
Whoisthelorax

Activity: 370
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:44:59 PM

To the extent that we have changed from rewarding people who naturally as a lifestyle create free open source stuff to trying to bribe people who have no interest in creating free open source stuff and no desire nor intent to make such stuff into begrudgingly making it anyway despite preferring not to then I guess we have lost our way...

We were not supposed to be rewarding artists for making art, authors for writing, programmers for programming.

We were supposed to be rewarding activists who pro-actively create free open source stuff for their pro-active, out of their own pocket creative activism / activistic creativity.

-MarkM-

I agree. The simplest way to change that, imo, would be to lower the lowest ranking of writing from .5 to even less. That way the quality becomes even more important and those clearly writing for the coin and the coin only will realize it just isn't worth it.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 03:58:48 PM

I have heard that some musicians offer at least some of their music free on the net.

Do any of them do so in actual free open source form?

If so maybe we could somehow find out whether any of them spends at least ten hours per week producing free open source music and if we find such a person offer to put them on the receivers list?

Hopefully it would be someone famous, isn't it the famous ones that find piracy and freebies increase their sales rather than lowering them, due to so much of their work not being free yet available all over the place, so that people who learn from the free material that they like the artist's work then see all kinds of similar work in all the stores and now know they will probably like it?

Famous would mean newsworthy so it would be win-win.

But I am not really confident that any of the famous musicians who give away freebies actually license those freebies as free open source...

(So they are not really free afterall, except in the "as in beer not as in real freedom" sense... Gratis rather than actual freedom...)

-MarkM-

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:38:03 PM

Got it. Test plan below for this evening. Please add if you think I missed something.

1FPEkkq8giG2biXhzstPDJseqMypVHaoEL (Android wallet)

Great but i think there is 5dvc fee on every send from wallet so balance may be off. I havent used it on a real device.. how does it feel?
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:42:34 PM

Where is 1.0.12 available from anyways? Is that the one that's on Devcoin.org now (under wallet -> Windows -> Windows Installer)?

Not yet..http://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 04:43:19 PM

It is interesting that ebay is going to allow digital currency on their U.K. site in February but not on the U.S. one.... that is a step in the right direction but still very annoying. If anyone on the forum is from the U.K. and planning on selling Devcoins, maybe something can be worked out to get more listings up and going for Devcoin in Feb.

I had all of my Devcoin listings canceled on ebay on the U.S. site a few days ago.

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-uk-virtual-currency-february/

This has been a common problem for me in the uk . i have been selling loads of devcoin over the past few months and that is all i sell on ebay.

this is ebays uk response to digital currency.

Please know that per our recent policy update, Virtual currency (i.e. Bitcoin and Litecoin), whether digitally or physically delivered cannot be listed in Auction-style and Buy-It-Now listing formats. eBay is opening a Virtual Currency category to allow the sale of virtual currency in Classified Ads format on February 10, 2014. We request that you do not list these items until that date. Alternatively, you may list your item on the eBay.com site in the Coins & Paper Money>Virtual Currency Category in Classified Ad format.

i am up for doing all i can for devcoin on the uk site once i am allowed to list on the 10th feb.
all my adds have been removed now but i still have one remaining on the US site that seems to have been overlooked and has been ticking along steadyly introducing people at 500 dvc and fetching $1.99

i have also been doing some creative marketing on ebay to get out of the coin section to avoid detection and still introduce people to devcoin by advertizing mobile phone top up vouchers , explaining i can also email the code to them if they need it faster than a bitcoin transaction.
 i also include a free offer of 500 devcoin and free digital wallet to sample in the advert.

Top up voucher cades are are a form of digital currency that can be exchanged for any other currency, and i am very interested in creating a website for the uk pay as you go phone top up market as i mentioned in this thead a few days ago when i made contact with melodie who acceps bitcoin and devcoin as payment for website building and coding.

I have asked kissmyweb to put this project on the back burner while i research and  see what interest i can drum up to raise funds to pay for such a trading platform working on BTCC/top up codes.

I want to somehow incorporate devcoin.  

As devcoin is the developers coin it could and should be used to develop anything.

devcoin is now a writercoin because of the assciation with the devtome wiki
It could also be a phonecoin if associated with a new website dedicated to trading airtime on the uk telecomunications network.
none of the uk networks accept cryptocurrencys yet .
Most of there customers use pay as you go phones because they do not have a bank account.
I see a masive gap in the market and an oppertunity that needs to be filled .
like a virtual atm  people can obtain bitcoin/devcoin by simply purchasing a top up code from any store and forward it to the website for exchange.

i am not sure how the bountys work really and thats not my motivation , i have been in touch with the large distributors of airtime to enquire about buying airtime at wholesale prices and the door is slamed tight as the whole network is owned by one company and is monoplised to protect all the payment processers and retailers commisions down the chain .

the end users themselves will sell a top up voucher cheaper than the producers that create them !

many distributors have their own sim card produced,they make huge commisions from the network providor every time the sim card it toped up with airtime . i propose devcoin somehow develops its own simcard to a real income can be generated and all its members get to share in the discounts as well undercutting the man thats ripping us all off.  

Been looking at cryptostocks and bitcoinstarter but not sure how succefull these sites are at attracting investors.

I have a feeling there will probably be an explosion of crypto listings on Feb 10th in the U.K. because this update to their policy is making the rounds. One easy way to sell them would be to require customers to make an account on Vircurex and send them a coupon code for the amount of Devcoins. It is a bit crude but it does show the coupon code number (you can't make up the number yourself) and whether or not it has been redeemed. I did a test coupon generation and transfer and it worked instantly.

You could track this by putting the coupon code number in the notes below the buyers link on All Selling > Sold.

I take it this is your listing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-Devcoin-Digital-Cryptocurrency-cheaper-than-Bitcoin-Litecoin-Peercoin-ect-/191036400314?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2c7aa822ba

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:19:13 PM

I'd like to propose a bounty for a devcoin auction site.

How many shares would be appropriate, based on difficulty?

I'd propose 45 shares, because the animation was around that as well.

Any objections or changes?

I think an auction site would be cool..and to add we can use our share system to have the admin purchase some cool stuff for like a sponsered auction deal of the week that people will like and put them up along with everyone elses things.. this would help fund growth like we are funding devtome right now. Call it the training wheels stage. We can market it by giving some credits to bid so ppl will register.

If we make it a qubids style site then people can buy credits via devcoins or btc which will bid up the market price.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 05:35:52 PM

I'd like to propose a bounty for a devcoin auction site.
I'd propose 45 shares, because the animation was around that as well.
Any objections or changes?
An auction site is simply clicking install on an off the shelf auctions system and maybe entering some categories and maybe plugging in some kind of plugin or module that enables cryptocurrencies instead of fiat to be used.

Have to agree with MarkM on this one.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Pages: « 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 [201] 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: