Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:59:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 [1931] 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:11:14 PM

1) a single account has 91% of all NXT in its balance
2) a single account balance + all the effectiveBalances leased to that single account where the sum is 91% of all NXT

The suggestion I was making (and it is only a suggestion) would be that both the single account and one owning "leased addresses" are limited to a max. amount of forging power (say 1% for convenience).

So any additional forging power by the way of extra NXT or extra leased accounts would be "useless" and therefore most likely to be allocated elsewhere (*manually* with my suggestion rather than somehow *automatically* via the *penalty* concept).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:14:06 PM

If so, I might have a solution, just a matter of cost. Is is fair to assume that we can estimate a block generation time being limited by 200 times the worst ping times of nodes?

That would require some "study" of *actual* network latency (versus a few ad hoc examples) to determine for sure - but I think you can see we are going to struggle to get anything close to *instant* confirmations "in the real world".

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

NxtMinnow

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:15:02 PM

Good morning from the West Coast NXT community,

First, great work on the tri-fold marketing brochure with special thanks to rickyjames, bitcoinpaul, w4llace, LiQio, EvilDave and especially mvag to create this great looking marketing material.

With regards to Auroracoin, the fact remains it is STILL a Proof of Work Clone and still suffers from the same geometrically increasing energy rate required to secure the network. The NXT Asset Exchange development has critical momentum; it is imperative this momentum is maintained.

The NXT cryptocurrency ecosystem is LIGHT YEARS ahead of ethereum.  I read through the ethereum forum last night and reviewed all of their problems attempting to implement their first basic clients, problems and delays and bad publicity at attempting to issue a $30 million "ether" IPO, and potentially running afoul of US SEC securities laws related to IPO issuance.

When I explain cryptocurrencies to my friends, one of the first questions is: will cryptocurrencies replace dollars, euros, etc?  My answer to them is always a resounding NO; all assets including cryptocurrencies, fiat, precious metals, land, etc will all continue to exist and be traded in parallel with the new cryptocurrencies through the NXT Asset Exchange.

HOWEVER, NXT is not just a cryptocurrency asset; but rather a powerful tool to enable transactions between all classes of assets and all groups of people.

So many people globally are locked out of the ability to conduct basic economic transactions, let alone complex transactions due to the expense resulting from the greed of the global banking cartel. The NXT ecosystem has the ability to free these underbanked and underserved people to finally join the world economic system free from the constraints of fractional reserve banking, capital controls, central banker greed, and computing arms races.

NXT is reaching critical mass.  It is true we need to organize, coordinate, keep calm and code on.  It is my vision that with the full implementation of the NXT Asset Exchange System, eventually all other energy unsustainable cryptocurrencies (All BTC and LTC clones) will be built on top of the NXT ecosystem as Proof of Work/Proof of Stake Coins.  The Proof of Stake NXT ecosystem provides the leanest, cheapest method to conduct secure cryptographic transactions and DATA GOES WHERE IT IS CHEAPEST!

bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:15:56 PM

If Joe has no friends, it is not possible Grin

1) If Joe wanted to steal a coke he could simple walk out of the store without paying.

Don't get confused. The soda-can situation is only an example for the underlying problem.
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

HOWEVER, NXT is not just a cryptocurrency asset; but rather a powerful tool to enable transactions between all classes of assets and all groups of people.

So many people globally are locked out of the ability to conduct basic economic transactions, let alone complex transactions due to the expense resulting from the greed of the global banking cartel. The NXT ecosystem has the ability to free these underbanked and underserved people to finally join the world economic system free from the constraints of fractional reserve banking, capital controls, central banker greed, and computing arms races.

+100
Uniqueorn

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

NXT.org

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:17:59 PM

Good morning from the West Coast NXT community,

First, great work on the tri-fold marketing brochure with special thanks to rickyjames, bitcoinpaul, w4llace, LiQio, EvilDave and especially mvag to create this great looking marketing material.

With regards to Auroracoin, the fact remains it is STILL a Proof of Work Clone and still suffers from the same geometrically increasing energy rate required to secure the network. The NXT Asset Exchange development has critical momentum; it is imperative this momentum is maintained.

The NXT cryptocurrency ecosystem is LIGHT YEARS ahead of ethereum.  I read through the ethereum forum last night and reviewed all of their problems attempting to implement their first basic clients, problems and delays and bad publicity at attempting to issue a $30 million "ether" IPO, and potentially running afoul of US SEC securities laws related to IPO issuance.

When I explain cryptocurrencies to my friends, one of the first questions is: will cryptocurrencies replace dollars, euros, etc?  My answer to them is always a resounding NO; all assets including cryptocurrencies, fiat, precious metals, land, etc will all continue to exist and be traded in parallel with the new cryptocurrencies through the NXT Asset Exchange.

NXT is reaching critical mass.  It is true we need to organize, coordinate, keep calm and code on.  It is my vision that with the full implementation of the NXT Asset Exchange System, eventually all other energy unsustainable cryptocurrencies (All BTC and LTC clones) will be built on top of the NXT ecosystem as Proof of Work/Proof of Stake Coins.  The Proof of Stake NXT ecosystem provides the leanest, cheapest method to conduct secure cryptographic transactions and DATA GOES WHERE IT IS CHEAPEST!

Exactly!
I have even more "sensitive" info about Ethereum and I can confirm they are stumbling, but we must not underestimate them. They got powerful investors behind them.
Their biggest problems is legal issues though
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:18:19 PM

1) a single account has 91% of all NXT in its balance
2) a single account balance + all the effectiveBalances leased to that single account where the sum is 91% of all NXT

The suggestion I was making (and it is only a suggestion) would be that both the single account and one owning "leased addresses" are limited to a max. amount of forging power (say 1% for convenience).

So any additional forging power by the way of extra NXT or extra leased accounts would be "useless" and therefore most likely to be allocated elsewhere (*manually* with my suggestion rather than somehow *automatically* via the *penalty* concept).

I made an identical suggestion a few days ago, but no one seemed to see it.  I forgot what values I suggested, I think it was 5M or 10M or something like that.  Assuming no penalty exists as our current situation, is there any difference between the 2 scenarios I presented?  They are the same, right?  no?

IMO this forging thing is the most important thing we have to consider for the future.  How to encourage forging, and prevent centralization in a trustless manner.  BTC cannot solve this - pools must choose to do the right thing.  But if we limit the amount of forging power then IMO we run the risk of making it even easier to mount 90% attack, if very little NXT is actively forging.

Hard stuff..  Do we make forging profitable as a means to protect the network?  Or can we depend on the circumstances that BCNexts' plan targets?

Hard stuff
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:18:58 PM

Not sure why 60 seconds should be the fastest practical time. Simple transactions as buying a can of soda do not require 1440 blocks. As long as the "supermarket" caches its precious not-confirmed transactions until they are, nobody's in trouble.

@CfB
Could you elaborate?

Imagine that we have 10 min between blocks. We could move to 5 min and get 2x faster transactions without losing reliability (this doesn't work in Bitcoin). But we have 1 min between blocks and this is already very close to the limit where we have a high rate of forks. We can move to 10 sec and get 6x faster transactions but reliability will be 6x lower (network needs 1 minute to converge). If at some point in the future we get a "better" Internet, then we can move to 10 sec without losing reliability (doesn't work for PoW coins as I said).

Right now we could try to find the optimal time between blocks, but unfortunatelly this will be an optimum only for the current topology. 5 minutes later - and we will get another topology with another optimal interval.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:19:45 PM

1) If Joe wanted to steal a coke he could simple walk out of the store without paying.

Don't get confused. The soda-can situation is only an example for the underlying problem.

It is though a very *correct* way of looking at it - as a retailer you always have to "take a risk" about your shop security vs. convenience and "atmosphere" (no-one would be very comfortable with a shop that demanded to "strip search you" before leaving).

Remember even *cash* can be fake (something I know well about here as I have unfortunately ended up receiving a couple of fake notes over the years despite the fact I do normally check them).

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:23:52 PM

[Nxt] Instant transactions with guaranteed confirmation
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316104.0

A merchant (or a vending machine) can accept payments from special accounts without waiting for confirmations.

Note the "special" here - I am guessing this is probably something like the "green addresses" of Mt. Gox.

Basically you are once again trading "decentralisation" for "convenience" (I don't doubt the appeal though).

BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:26:20 PM

Revealed yet?

No, but 2nd part of the plan contains a hint. Read about transparency.

Can we get rid of the hints, please?
If it is not possible, then BCNext should take his coins, convert it to FIAT and pay for a project manager to manage Nxt till there are no more "unknown issues" and the community can take over.

+1440

Enough with the wax on, wax off bullshit.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:26:31 PM

Very strange. On 0.8.xe versions after several hours my node always forks. That was not the case on 0.7.x. I usually forged >1 block a day but on 0.8 i got nothing  Cry
Downgrading.
Well, 0.7.6 working without any trouble >24 hours. Forging is ok.
Can not understand what was wrong with 0.8.x Roll Eyes
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:28:05 PM

Just a reminder: BCNext don't want NXT to be a currency. Coins on top of Nxt should be. Does this change anything?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:28:28 PM

"Special" as in tagged with Account Control.  CfB has stated that AC will be functional by April, and I have assumed this is part of it.

I have not heard anything about this but basically I think such "special" addresses would have to be under the control of a 3rd party (that the vendor will have to decide to "trust" not to attempt anything nefarious).

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:30:10 PM

If so, I might have a solution, just a matter of cost. Is is fair to assume that we can estimate a block generation time being limited by 200 times the worst ping times of nodes?

That would require some "study" of *actual* network latency (versus a few ad hoc examples) to determine for sure - but I think you can see we are going to struggle to get anything close to *instant* confirmations "in the real world".

I never expected it to be easy or inexpensive. Doing the "impossible" is usually difficult or expensive or both.

You said yourself that unless I was talking about an in-country solution I am just fantasizing. So, I went with that assumption, that networks incountry are fast pretty much worldwide. That makes sense.

This directly leads to a connected hub and spoke topology. Each country has its own hub and spoke topology and we connect all the country's hubs with a fast backbone.

If we can reduce the problem to creating a hub to hub fast backbone, I am sure out networking experts here can chime in with solutions, especially if we have some budget for it. I think it is more productive to identify the actual bottlenecks we are faced with, rather than glossing it over as fantasy due to network latency. Going from that dismissal to "we need a way to connect hubs across all the countries" seems like we have reduced the problem from the "impossible" category to "very difficult and probably expensive". Of course I was hoping we would get TF in April that will magically do the impossible without expensive and complicated solution.

In any case, we are actively talking about client side signing and submitting to public servers, so we are already headed to this sort of topology.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
wesleyh

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:30:45 PM

Not sure why 60 seconds should be the fastest practical time. Simple transactions as buying a can of soda do not require 1440 blocks. As long as the "supermarket" caches its precious not-confirmed transactions until they are, nobody's in trouble.

@CfB
Could you elaborate?

Imagine that we have 10 min between blocks. We could move to 5 min and get 2x faster transactions without losing reliability (this doesn't work in Bitcoin). But we have 1 min between blocks and this is already very close to the limit where we have a high rate of forks. We can move to 10 sec and get 6x faster transactions but reliability will be 6x lower (network needs 1 minute to converge). If at some point in the future we get a "better" Internet, then we can move to 10 sec without losing reliability (doesn't work for PoW coins as I said).

Right now we could try to find the optimal time between blocks, but unfortunatelly this will be an optimum only for the current topology. 5 minutes later - and we will get another topology with another optimal interval.

So 1000 tps is not possible? Even if 1000 tps is possible, they wouldn't be confirmed, you would need to wait at least 1 minute to get the first confirmation?
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:31:29 PM

I think CfB mentioned regional block chains or something similar some day. Can't recall it correctly now.
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:32:30 PM

My point is human nature will not change....two facts...1) Humans are not perfect 2) "Evil" will always exist.

So even though we might think that whatever system we come up with is perfect against human nature we are surely deluding ourselves.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 04:32:48 PM

This directly leads to a connected hub and spoke topology. Each country has its own hub and spoke topology and we connect all the country's hubs with a fast backbone.

Sure - I know where you are headed with the idea - but *still* we can end up with "forks in different countries" as I don't believe you can be sure to achieve what I have put in bold.

ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:33:35 PM

@CfB
Could you elaborate?

Alright.

So, as I understand it the 1000 TPS is just like the bandwidth of my Ethernet cable. And the 60 seconds for a block addresses the network latency.
Pages: « 1 ... 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 [1931] 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: