Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:25:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:00:55 AM

Going around telling people to accept the fact that Nxt won't be worth much just because you have a vision for it that you desire, is disingenious and and really is just counter productive.

I am doing no such thing - I am simply pointing out that the "market will decide" what the value of NXT will be and what the "parameters" are.

You said "The value of NXT *can never be very high".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eightspaces

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:02:02 AM

Going around telling people to accept the fact that Nxt won't be worth much just because you have a vision for it that you desire, is disingenious and and really is just counter productive.

I am doing no such thing - I am simply pointing out that the "market will decide" what the value of NXT will be and what the "parameters" are.

Why waste ur time guys?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:03:25 AM

Yes - but what is *very* - hardly a "specific" number right?

Logically if 1 NXT is 1 USD right now then no-one would use the Nxt platform as it would cost you 1 USD to send 1 USD.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:04:48 AM

Why waste ur time guys?

Indeed it can get a little tedious in this topic.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:09:49 AM

Logically if 1 NXT is 1 USD right now then no-one would use the Nxt platform as it would cost you 1 USD to send 1 USD.

Right. But you assume that the cost to make a transaction would always be 1 Nxt. Unless this is an ultimatum that cannot ever change, then I am not sure why this matters.

Also, I am not sure why Nxt would be best served to be a platform for micro transactions. Seems very limiting.

2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:12:23 AM

This is the reason why NXT's tx fee should be reduced.  Low tx fees encourages NXT to be used as a platform and will help support its price.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:12:31 AM

The value of NXT *can never be very high* as it is basically just *fuel* to run the engine. There seem to be a lot of people in this forum who just "don't get this" (perhaps because "greed" is blinding them to reality).

I'm just going to let this reverberate here for a while. I don't even know what to say to this...yet

Good - let it "sink in" and hopefully a few others will too.

If you have powers to predict markets so well you could make a lot of money on Wall St. Crypto-currency is kind of a new thing by the way and everything about it is unprecedented. The halls of history are lined with the skins of those who thought they could predict the market and I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to say you can predict with certainty what Nxt will be worth.  Market forces are unpredictable, based on emotions, crowd mentality and many other factors including economic, financial and political. If math and market caps could predict everything about markets there's be no Stock market.  

NXt just like XRP is the only trust-less currency that exists in the system, therefore there is a potential for value, depending on the value of the entire ecosystem. All other assets issued are worth only what you can trust the issuer for.

I think I'm starting to see the deep distaste that some in the Nxt development community have for speculators: ie: NXt investors. I find it very concerning and I'm hoping others might pipe in here.

I think the issue is more that both investors and developers when they argue, both have good points.

But as I do not think investors should run around complaining about or celebrating prices, I also don't think developers should condescendingly dismiss investors concerns.

Investors are the marketers, the mouth pieces for innovation. Bitcoin, had there been no promise of value, no speculators, would not exists as it does today if at all.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:13:30 AM

Right. But you assume that the cost to make a transaction would always be 1 Nxt. Unless this is an ultimatum that cannot ever change, then I am not sure why this matters.

At the moment it does - and soon it will likely change to being 0.1 (from memory that was what was most popular) - so as I said some smart math guy could probably come up with some sort of formula that involves the "available supply" of Nxt and the number of transactions and predict the likely value of it (not me though as I am not so good with math).

Micro transactions are really not something that any blockchain is going to handle perfectly although with Nxt the idea of being able to regularly *shrink* the blockchain will certainly make it a better option than say Bitcoin.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:13:43 AM

This is part of the reason why the NXT tx fee should be reduced.  Low tx fees encourages NXT to be used as a platform and will help support its price.

Agreed. This idea that Nxt cannot be a currency AND a platform is so very odd to me. Bitcoin is both. Albiet a different platform.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:15:21 AM

But as I do not think investors should run around complaining about or celebrating prices, I also don't think developers should condescendingly dismiss investors concerns.

Investors are the marketers, the mouth pieces for innovation. Bitcoin, had there been no promise of value, no speculators, would not exists as it does today if at all.

In no way am I trying to "be condescending" - just pointing out that NXT is not like LTC or other Bitcoin clones (so investors should be aware of this and what being a "platform" implies).

If people have invested in NXT thinking it is just like LTC then they have "not done their due diligence".

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:15:44 AM

Why waste ur time guys?

Your condescension only reflects on you. If you dismiss my points out of hand, you are too narrow minded to be a leader in the Nxt movement. Not that you can't serve other purposes.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:16:55 AM

In no way am I trying to "be condescending" - just pointing out that NXT is not like LTC or other Bitcoin clones (so investors should be aware of this and what being a "platform" implies).

But, again, you seem to dismiss Nxt as a currency (and it should be pointed out that those "clones" are not good currency options).  Makes no sense. It can exist as both, despite the original developers initial intentions, if we even know what those were/are.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:18:02 AM

This is part of the reason why the NXT tx fee should be reduced.  Low tx fees encourages NXT to be used as a platform and will help support its price.

Agreed. This idea that Nxt cannot be a currency AND a platform is so very odd to me. Bitcoin is both. Albiet a different platform.

I don't think Ian dismissed the fact that NXT is both a currency and a platform.  You can't have one without the other.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
BrianNowhere

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:18:09 AM

If you have powers to predict markets so well you could make a lot of money on Wall St.

I don't have such powers although I did make quite a bit of money from a few well chosen stocks (such as Sun Microsystems back in the early 90's).

I am "no hippie" but I do *get* what Nxt actually *is*. It is *not* another "pump and dump copy coin" but instead a *platform*.

Right from the start Nxt was presented without the word "coin" and this among other things was *deliberate*.

You could unzip your pants and stick your wang in the Nasdaq in the 90's and make money. I don't think Mr. Buffet or Soros has to worry about being dethroned anytime soon.

Well I'm glad we've had this discussion and I understand more now what I've suspected for a while now about both Nxt and Ripple, which is that both believe they can exist in a vacuum somehow unencumbered by market forces.

At least Ripple has made their system scalable. If the price of XRp went up the fees would still be infinitesimal.  You seem to not be worried at all about contingency in case you are wrong,  which is something I would think any good programmer should always be thinking about and why I say it's very concerning to me.

You seem to be sending a strong SELL message. Not sure if you care, but that's what I'm getting. I can just wait for the new assets to come out, no reason to stick around, is pretty much what you are saying.

NXT: 4957831430947123625
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:20:04 AM

But, again, you seem to dismiss Nxt as a currency.  Makes no sense. It can exist as both, despite the original developers initial intentions, if we even know what those were/are.

And *again* you are "putting words in my mouth" (I wish you wouldn't do that as I am not doing that to you).

Firstly Nxt =/= NXT they are two different things.

Nxt is the platform and NXT is the "fuel" that it runs on - these are just the plain facts that I am stating.

So NXT *is* a crypto-currency but *it is not equivalent to LTC and other Bitcoin clones*. You can only compare "apples to apples".

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:20:58 AM

If you have powers to predict markets so well you could make a lot of money on Wall St.

I don't have such powers although I did make quite a bit of money from a few well chosen stocks (such as Sun Microsystems back in the early 90's).

I am "no hippie" but I do *get* what Nxt actually *is*. It is *not* another "pump and dump copy coin" but instead a *platform*.

Right from the start Nxt was presented without the word "coin" and this among other things was *deliberate*.

You could unzip your pants and stick your wang in the Nasdaq in the 90's and make money. I don't think Mr. Buffet or Soros has to worry about being dethroned anytime soon.

Well I'm glad we've had this discussion and I understand more now what I've suspected for a while now about both Nxt and Ripple, which is that both believe they can exist in a vacuum somehow unencumbered by market forces.

At least Ripple has made their system scalable. If the price of XRp went up the fees would still be infinitesimal.  You seem to not be worried at all about contingency in case you are wrong,  which is something I would think any good programmer should always be thinking about and why I say it's very concerning to me.

You seem to be sending a strong SELL message. Not sure if you care, but that's what I'm getting. I can just wait for the new assets to come out, no reason to stick around, is pretty much what you are saying.

I don't think Ian even realizes the message he is actually sending.  But you should spend more time looking at what everyone else in the community is working on before forming an opinion on the state of things.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:21:30 AM

That I guess is how you have decided to interpret my posts.

Buy or sell is up to you and others - it's a free market!

(personally "I am holding")

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:24:25 AM

But, again, you seem to dismiss Nxt as a currency.  Makes no sense. It can exist as both, despite the original developers initial intentions, if we even know what those were/are.

And *again* you are "putting words in my mouth" (I wish you wouldn't do that as I am not doing that to you).

Firstly Nxt =/= NXT they are two different things.

Nxt is the platform and NXT is the "fuel" that it runs on - these are just the plain facts that I am stating.

So NXT *is* a crypto-currency but *it is not equivalent to LTC and other Bitcoin clones*. You can only compare "apples to apples".

Actually as a currency Nxt can and should be compared to other alts. Absolutely. POS vs. POW.

Green apples to red apples.

As an exchange it should be compared to MC, Emunie, and others.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:25:36 AM

(personally "I am hodling")

FIFY

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:26:47 AM

Actually as a currency Nxt can and should be compared to other alts. Absolutely. POS vs. POW.

It is a poor comparison - if you want to compare NXT to something then I think XRP is a much closer one.

Pages: « 1 ... 2218 2219 2220 2221 2222 2223 2224 2225 2226 2227 2228 2229 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2237 2238 2239 2240 2241 2242 2243 2244 2245 2246 2247 2248 2249 2250 2251 2252 2253 2254 2255 2256 2257 2258 2259 2260 2261 2262 2263 2264 2265 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 2271 2272 2273 2274 2275 2276 2277 2278 2279 2280 2281 2282 2283 2284 2285 2286 2287 2288 2289 2290 2291 2292 2293 2294 2295 2296 2297 2298 2299 2300 2301 2302 2303 2304 2305 2306 2307 2308 2309 2310 2311 2312 2313 2314 2315 2316 2317 2318 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: