Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:31:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 2556 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
wesleyh

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:52:50 PM

My 40,000 NXT bounty still hold. (When wallet.dat is integrated in official client AND is the default option )

There is wallet.dat with offspring.

The built-in client (which as has been said many times was supposed to be temp) can't have wallet.dat as it runs from a browser with restricted access to hardrive.  

I will be providing :

- Open source browser extensions that will be able to read and write a wallet.dat.
- Windows, mac and linux standalone apps that will be able to read and write a wallet.dat.

Now for a browser only, the best that can be done is to save the wallet in the localStorage or indexedDb/WebSQL. Is that a good option? The user should be forced to backup the wallet on creation. Or allow logging in via drag and drop of a wallet.dat like file.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:56:28 PM

My 40,000 NXT bounty still hold. (When wallet.dat is integrated in official client AND is the default option )

The built-in client (which as has been said many times was supposed to be temp) can't have wallet.dat as it runs from a browser with restricted access to hardrive.  

I will be providing :

- Open source browser extensions that will be able to read and write a wallet.dat.
- Windows, mac and linux standalone apps that will be able to read and write a wallet.dat.

Now for a browser only, the best that can be done is to save the wallet in the localStorage or indexedDb/WebSQL. Is that a good option? The user should be forced to backup the wallet on creation.

Don't include wallet.dat with browser version. It's more dangerous than forcing user to save the password. The user will clear his cache and lose his account, then come back here telling us why nxt sucks.

If someone wants wallet.dat, they should download the desktop version.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
wesleyh

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:57:12 PM

I will be providing :

Now for a browser only, the best that can be done is to save the wallet in the localStorage or indexedDb/WebSQL. Is that a good option? The user should be forced to backup the wallet on creation.

Don't include wallet.dat with browser version. It's more dangerous than forcing user to save the password. The user will clear his cache and lose his account, then come back here telling us why nxt sucks.

That's why I said the user should be FORCED to back it up.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 06:59:16 PM

<sigh>

The level of arrogance here is repulsive.

Change this:

I just snapped that btw so don't tell me noobs aren't being led to a sh1t client.

yes but you said that the OP doesn't say anything about alternative clients, and there is a link with a full collection of all.

We will obviously not remove the link the core server client?!?

I didn't actually. Can you provide a quote of me saying that? I won't hold my breath.

If I'd known the client I was downloading was so poorly written it'd display someone else's account number so readily I'd have been more careful or downloaded a superior client.

n/m pretty sure I'm wasting my time with this mess of a coin. I'll move on to the next 100% premine.

I am sorry this wonderful coin isn't fit for you.

You will surely find a coin that suits you.

Take care buddy

Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:03:05 PM

I will be providing :

That's why I said the user should be FORCED to back it up.

How safe is indexedDb/WebSQ ? Can malicious websites sites access it?

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
wesleyh

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:12:32 PM

No, only the domain that created it.
mcjavar

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

Why is it so hard to eliminate? Just changing the OP would take 5 seconds of someone's time. I wouldn't have chosen that download if it wasn't on the first page of this thread.

You don't build the reputation of a new coin by letting poorly crafted software screw newbies out of their new coins.

He is right here. The download should be changed on the first page, I already asked for this months ago, when the first opensource clients were released. There is no point in putting the download link of the SERVER on the top of the first page.
mcjavar

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:19:26 PM

Calling everyone who criticise Nxt a troll is not a good idea, I think.

Solarion raised a valid (and recurring point) here, as well as BrianNowhere did. Yes, the way how he communicates is not nice, but I can understand this, as he lost his money. (even if it was his fault) If we want Average Joe to use Nxt (no, not the Joe from bitcointalk, but the Joe from Facebook), we need to make it foolproof. This takes some time, but instead of arguing, the developers should keep improving the clients to make it more user friendly as they are doing it ny by releasing new versions again and again.

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 07:21:29 PM

Solarion raised a valid (and recurring point) here, as well as BrianNowhere did. Yes, the way how he communicates is not nice, but I can understand this, as he lost his money. (even if it was his fault) If we want Average Joe to use Nxt (no, not the Joe from bitcointalk, but the Joe from Facebook), we need to make it foolproof. This takes some time, but instead of arguing, the developers should keep improving the clients to make it more user friendly as they are doing it ny by releasing new versions again and again.

That is a valid point, but this is a decentralised community, someone must take command to do something? Why don't you write OP and tell him to rephrase the OP? I am 100% sure he will do this, as he has done many times before on request Smiley

NxtMinnow

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:23:58 PM

Hi solarion and msin and Nxt community,

solarion, I hope you stick around and try another client after you set up a new Nxt account and verify that you have access with a few small NXT transfers. msin offered to reimburse solarion for his mistake in account creation. What other coin developers offer to replace lost money (coins) when end-users make mistakes?

Nxt is 5 months old. solarion lost $40 and was offered reimbursement from a Nxt community member. That is awesome! Keep up the good dev, testing, and new user education Nxt community!
Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

I sent Jean Luk PM almost two weeks to make it a priority to replace the client.  If  nothing else, just remove the client from the server software, as was the original plan. No one would then be mistakenly confusing NRS server with clients.

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:30:28 PM

That is a valid point, but this is a decentralised community, someone must take command to do something? Why don't you write OP and tell him to rephrase the OP? I am 100% sure he will do this, as he has done many times before on request Smiley

NRS is NXT Smiley So it's understandable why it's the main link everywhere. Clients are just GUI interfaces that interact with NRS server. NRS server comes with default "client" that user can use at 27.0.0.1:7875 .. If it didn't include that default client, no one would be confused.

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:32:45 PM

NRS is NXT Smiley So it's understandable why it's the main link everywhere. Clients are just GUI interfaces that interact with NRS server. NRS server comes with default "client" that user can use at 27.0.0.1:7875 .. If it didn't include that default client, no one would be confused.

https://127.0.0.1:7875

NRS is only the Nxt server ....
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 07:39:58 PM

Meh, it is more like bitcoinD and bitcoin QT. You download both but they are independent. The forgers will know or atleast will try to find out what they need to do, but for newbs the serve+its interface is redundant. We have the java server , that is our bitcoinD, but we are missing a bitcoin QT, our NRS interface is only a quick and dirty fix, imo.

Eadeqa

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:42:06 PM

No, only the domain that created it.

Can you save it as encrypted? The user picks a password (his choice, could be weak, doesn't matter)?

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
mcjavar

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:00:00 PM

I did. The current structure was made when I asked him to reorganize it. But it seems, that is still not ok like this.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 08:30:33 PM

I did. The current structure was made when I asked him to reorganize it. But it seems, that is still not ok like this.

Ok. Thank you for taking the lead! We need abunch more guys like you!

salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:44:48 PM

It is little sad, but actually http://www.nxtclient.org/ is not a good place for beginners - there is still no rating so newbies are lost and don't know which client to choose

Let's use only this link: http://nxtra.org/nxt-wallet/ in our forums OP and on our sites, like wiki, nxtcrypto, mynxt or any local lites
- wesley could maybe add some red warning about brainwallet
+ we can offer using client with wallet.dat: https://github.com/incentivetoken/offspring/wiki/Getting-Started

Who agrees?
mcjavar

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:48:44 PM

Ok. Thank you for taking the lead! We need abunch more guys like you!

I am not a leader at all, due to lack of time because of my IRL job, I´m just trying to help where I can. I was hoping to dedicate my time 100% to Nxt by now, but unfortunatelly the price didn´t go to the moon Smiley
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:31:47 PM

So 10 confirm is the minimum needed for Nxt block chain irreversibly ,right?

No. Right now 10 Nxt confirms ~ 1 Bitcoin confirm.
Pages: « 1 ... 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 2501 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 2552 2553 2554 2555 2556 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: