Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:02:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:54:26 PM

This is such a blatantly, offensively SEXIST thing you have posted.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:23:42 PM

Are we talking high heels here?
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:29:01 PM

Good.

I think climate deniers should be dumped into the ocean with the rest of the toxic waste.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:04:39 AM

Good.

I think climate deniers should be dumped into the ocean with the rest of the toxic waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-hb2xzvZI

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:23:20 AM

Flashback: Meteorologist Anthony Watts on ‘adjusted’ U.S. temperature data: ‘In the business and trading world, people go to jail for such manipulations of data’

Flashback: Climatologist Dr. Pat Michaels: ‘The raw temperature data is continually adjusted to show more warming’ - PATRICK J. MICHAELS and PAUL C. “CHIP” KNAPPENBERGER: U.S. temperature ‘history has been repeatedly “revised” to either make temperatures colder in the earlier years or warmer at the end’ -‘A major and ongoing federal effort has been to try and cram these numbers into the box imposed by the theory that gives the government the most power—i.e., strong global warming.’ - ‘Please be advised that this history has been repeatedly “revised” to either make temperatures colder in the earlier years or warmer at the end.  Not one “adjustment” has the opposite effect, a clear contravention of logic and probability.  While the US has gotten slightly warmer in recent decades, compared to the early 20th century, so have the data themselves.  It’s a fact that if you just take all the thousands of fairly evenly-spaced “official” weather stations around the country and average them up since 1895, that you won’t get much of a warming trend at all.   Consequently a major and ongoing federal effort has been to try and cram these numbers into the box imposed by the theory that gives the government the most power—i.e., strong global warming.’

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/01/10/meteorologist-anthony-watts-on-adjusted-us-temperature-data-in-the-business-and-trading-world-people-go-to-jail-for-such-manipulations-of-data/

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:36:22 AM

Good.

apparently i'm not very smart because im not seeing the connection. can you explain to me what this video has to do with his comment?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:46:38 AM

Good.

apparently i'm not very smart because im not seeing the connection. can you explain to me what this video has to do with his comment?

I read it as a very subtle way of saying Beliathon is a special snowflake...
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 05:26:49 PM

Good.

You understand, don't you, that it doesn't matter if you don't see the connection, because some very smart people have studied this, and the science is settled?  The consensus shows it to be accurate, and all the many lines of evidence synergistically collaborate with one another to support the central hypothesis and reaffirm the consensus.

<<joking of course>>
galdur

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 05:39:57 PM

THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED

WARMER:
“Why are winters warming up so much faster over Northern Hemisphere continents than over the rest of the globe? A new study by NASA researchers in the June 3 issue of the journal Nature is the first to link the well-documented large degree of North America and Eurasia winter warming and the associated wind changes to rising greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere.”
–1999, NASA GISS

“Global warming will cause major changes to the climate of the U.S. Northeast if greenhouse gas emissions are not reduced, scientists said today. Warmer annual temperatures, less snow, more frequent droughts and more extreme rainstorms are expected if current warming trends continue, the scientists said in a new study, and time is running out for action to avoid such changes to the climate.”
— 2006 Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment, a collaboration between the Union of Concerned Scientists, a left-leaning environmental group, and various university-based scientists.

“New research from UNH’s Climate Change Research Center’s Cameron Wake and his former graduate student Elizabeth Burakowski confirms what anyone enjoying today’s balmy temperatures might suspect: In the northeast, winters are indeed getting warmer. The duo conducted the most rigorous analysis to date of wintertime climate data in the northeastern U.S. from 1965 to 2005 and published their work recently in the Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres.”
“Winter is warming faster than any other season and what we’re seeing over time is an intensification of this warming trend,” says Burakowski.
–2008, Discovering Sustainability, Dec. 10

COLDER:
“A warmer Arctic climate is influencing the air pressure at the North Pole and shifting wind patterns on our planet. We can expect more cold and snowy winters in Europe, eastern Asia and eastern North America.
” ‘Cold and snowy winters will be the rule, rather than the exception,’ says Dr James Overland of the NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in the United States. Dr Overland is at the International Polar Year Oslo Science Conference (IPY-OSC) to chair a session on polar climate feedbacks, amplification and teleconnections, including impacts on mid-latitudes.”
– 2010, Science Daily, June 15

“That is why the Eastern United States, Northern Europe and East Asia have experienced extraordinarily snowy and cold winters since the turn of this century. Most forecasts have failed to predict these colder winters, however, because the primary drivers in their models are the oceans, which have been warming even as winters have grown chillier. They have ignored the snow in Siberia . . . The reality is, we’re freezing not in spite of climate change but because of it.“
– 2010, Judah Cohen, director of seasonal forecasting at Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER), writing in the Dec. 25 New York Times.

“The overall warming of Earth’s northern half could result in cold winters, new research shows. The shrinking of sea-ice in the eastern Arctic causes some regional heating of the lower levels of air — which may lead to strong anomalies in atmospheric airstreams, triggering an overall cooling of the northern continents, according to a study recently published in the Journal of Geophysical Research.”
2010, Science Daily, Dec. 17

“Europe’s cold winters and the warmth of the planet as a whole might even be linked. There is some evidence that the summer heat stored in the newly ice-free seas north of Siberia may induce shifts in the atmosphere’s circulation, when the heat is given up to the air in subsequent autumns and winters. Those shifts might in turn encourage seasonal patterns in which the Arctic is warm and the continents below it cold, as in early 2010. Since the sea-ice area looks likely to go on shrinking, such a link, if indeed it exists, would probably mean more cold winters in Britain and much of Europe.”
– 2010, The Economist, Dec. 2.

“But while piles of snow blocking your driveway hardly conjure images of a dangerously warming world, it doesn’t mean that climate change is a myth. The World Meteorological Organization recently reported that 2010 is almost certainly going to be one of the three warmest years on record, while 2001 to 2010 is already the hottest decade in recorded history. Indeed, according to some scientists, all of these events may actually be connected.
“One theory is that a warmer Arctic may actually lead to colder and snowier winters in the northern mid-latitudes. Even as countries like Britain — suffering through the coldest December on record — deal with low temperatures and unusual snow, the Arctic has kept on warming, with Greenland and Arctic Canada experiencing the hottest year on record.“
– 2010 Bryan Walsh, Time magazine

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 06:37:39 PM

Global Warming Sparks Fears Of Another Food Crisis In Marxist Hellhole North Korea

As North Korea heads toward the “barley hump” – the lean season before the rice and corn harvest in the summer – aid agencies are warning that an unusually dry winter is compounding chronic food shortages in the impoverished country.

And while North Korea may no longer be in a state of famine, malnutrition remains such a widespread problem that even slight changes in weather can have an outsized impact on ordinary people’s food supply.

“We’re concerned about seed scarcity and the low level rain and snowfall,” John Aylieff, deputy Asia director at the U.N.’s World Food Program, said from Pyongyang. “All of these things are raising concerns about the winter harvest this year.”

Winter crops – including wheat and barley – should be growing now, but after an exceptionally dry year in 2014, rainfall around the country has been markedly lower than usual so far this year, particularly in the “cereal bowl” provinces of Pyongan in the west and Hwanghae in the south.

Although the winter harvest makes up only 5 percent of North Korea’s domestic food supply, it is a critical time because the crops see the country through the lean season known locally as the barley hump – the period between May and August before rice and corn crops are harvested.

“If there is a big gap, this could prolong the lean season and it could prove a ’flash point’ for malnutrition,” Aylieff said.[…]

Allowing more freedom in the rural areas could increase people’s standard of living there – and potentially make the regime more stable.

Randall Ireson, a former agricultural adviser who worked for a nonprofit agency in North Korea for almost a decade, said the reforms did appear to be making a difference.

“We should be able to see more diverse crops at a local farm level,” he said, adding that North Korea was beginning to move away from its emphasis on rice and maize, and growing more soybeans.

But the changes do not yet constitute Chinese- or Vietnamese-style economic reform because North Koreans have no certainty about the officially state-owned land.

“If farmers believe that they can have these fields and farm them for at least the medium term future, they will be more likely to invest in improving the soil, but they need some assurance that the efforts they put in won’t go to waste,” Ireson said, noting that it could easily take three years to return the depleted soil to good health.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/dry-winter-sparks-fears-of-another-food-crisis-in-north-korea-1.328496

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... adding that North Korea was beginning to move away from its emphasis on rice and maize, and growing more soybeans... And cannibalism.

Roll Eyes

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 03:51:43 AM

THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED

WARMER:
“Why are winters warming up so much...
“Global warming will cause major changes to the climate of the U.S. Northeast if greenhouse gas emissions are not reduced, scientists said today. Warmer annual temperatures, less snow, ....

“New research from UNH’s Climate Change Research Center’s Cameron Wake and his former graduate student Elizabeth Burakowski confirms what anyone enjoying today’s balmy temperatures might suspect: In the northeast, winters are indeed getting warmer.....

COLDER:
“A warmer Arctic climate is influencing the air pressure at the North Pole and shifting wind patterns on our planet. We can expect more cold and snowy ....

“That is why the Eastern United States, Northern Europe and East Asia have experienced extraordinarily snowy and cold winters since the turn of this century. Most forecasts have failed to predict these colder winters, however, because the primary drivers in their models are the oceans, which have been warming even as winters have grown chillier. ....

“The overall warming of Earth’s northern half could result in cold winters,....

“Europe’s cold winters and the warmth of the planet as a whole might even be linked. There is some evidence that the summer heat stored ...

“But while piles of snow blocking your driveway hardly conjure images of a dangerously warming world, it doesn’t mean that climate change is a myth....

Pretty good collection of lies there.   Tar and feathers....
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 03:55:47 AM

Global Warming Sparks Fears Of Another Food Crisis In Marxist Hellhole North Korea
Wait, so the problems of North Korea aren't based on stupid marxist centralized planning and ridiculous military spending, but instead on global warming caused of course, by the guilty as charged Western nations?

That's good.  For a laugh.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:41:12 PM

What the massive snowfall in Boston tells us about global warming

The snowfall in Boston lately is simply insane. The local bureau of the National Weather Service has tallied up the data and here’s how it looks — with all time records for snow within a 14-, 20-, and 30-day period.

You could treat this as ordinary weather, or, you could think about it in a climate context. Counter-intuitive though it may sound, the fact remains that — as I have noted previously — some kinds of winter precipitation could indeed be more intense because we’re in a warming world.

Consider, for instance, that sea surface temperatures off the coast of New England are flashing red, showing an extreme warm anomaly. That’s highly relevant — because warmer oceans have atmospheric consequences.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/02/10/what-the-massive-snowfall-in-boston-tells-us-about-global-warming/?tid=sm_tw

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Could fudging data for years be a cause for more snow in boston? The facts are clear...

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:16:53 AM

Man-made climate change:

Don't be a climate denier!
sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:26:24 AM

Probably a good idea to ban deniers of evidence from any forum aimed at scientific discussion of evidence.
notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:01:43 AM

After all flights were grounded the temperature in the US increased by 2° in the 3 days following 9/11.

ABitNut

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:05:43 AM

After all flights were grounded the temperature in the US increased by 2° in the 3 days following 9/11.

After I turned off the air conditioning last night the temperature outside dropped over 7 degrees in the following 3 hours.

What's your point!?
notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:13:12 AM

After I turned off the air conditioning last night the temperature outside dropped over 7 degrees in the following 3 hours.

What's your point!?

My point is that people are denying man-made climate change. I offer proof that they're wrong.

What's your problem?

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:23:26 AM

Globalwarming is clearly bullshit however, that doesn't stop "them" from spraying a layer of aluminum among other things to reflect incoming sunlight and perform other functions.
ABitNut

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:28:33 AM

What's your point!?

My point is that people are denying man-made climate change. I offer proof that they're wrong.

What's your problem?

My problem is that I don't see how your single line about two events (airplanes grounded and temperature increase) proofs man made climate change. So maybe you could / should elaborate if you're actually trying to convince anyone.

Globalwarming is clearly bullshit however, that doesn't stop "them" from spraying a layer of aluminum among other things to reflect incoming sunlight and perform other functions.
Who is them? Where are they spraying aluminium (I need it to produce hats!)? Sources?
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: