Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:35:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 [655] 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722497 times)
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:26:21 AM

Finally, I will like to set up several master nodes, I lack the technical capability and time to do it myself but will be hiring somebody to do it for me. In that sense I would really appreciate a comprehensive guide on how to set up the master nodes, I think that would be a way better use of the time of the more technically inclined in this forum. Thanks

I'll bet someone will come up with a basic guide and I know the developers are going to try to build safety  into this, but do be sure, especially with that much invested, that you cover all security issues possible.  Just saying Cheesy

The only real security issue I can think of is that somebody uses the same password as he uses *everywhere* or doesn't even encrypt the wallet.dat and somebody steals it.
Otherwise, you might get a DDoS attack, but that's just painful, not permanently harmful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:26:38 AM

Hello, Community,  I almost do not post in this thread but have been following DRK since late January. I am an adult, an investor and have so far invested around 30K USD into DRK. I love the product and if it is to be succesfull it will be based on its merits of offering value to its users, being Darksend and anonymity the most attractive feature and I hope there are more added in the future.

I am investing in the integrity of the DEV team, in the added value proposition of Darksend and in future additions like messaging, etc. The value of the coin is not in giving it away to miners as they see fit, the value is in offering benefits that bitcoin does not already offer to the intended end users, people like me, who don't mine.  This is in my opinion the only altcoin that is offering something BTC does not to regular users.  Other coins like Vert offer something to miners but it does nothing for me as an end user that BTC doesnt already do. So please DEV team, forget about complaining teenagers, show some respect for the people backing up this project and lets focus on adding features and benefits.

Finally, I will like to set up several master nodes, I lack the technical capability and time to do it myself but will be hiring somebody to do it for me. In that sense I would really appreciate a comprehensive guide on how to set up the master nodes, I think that would be a way better use of the time of the more technically inclined in this forum. Thanks

+1 000 000 !
Yes! Whole heartedly agree

+ my $20,000 invested into DRK. I am in the same boat as the above poster, this airdrop stuff is hard to watch. Focus is the key to success, without it we will dwindle into the ether of existence. Focus on what makes this project worth your time Evan, it will only produce results that compliment the effort.

LOL, I've gotten myself up to 2000 coins and felt so good, like I had all the coins in the world!  Now I feel so puny, LOL

You two guys can definitely afford to buy my mother-in-law. Now only 19,500 DRK.  With some night school, she can cook and run a few master nodes.

Another LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:33:01 AM

The correct thing to do would have been to abort the launch and try again unless the point was to get a bunch of coins out in a day or two - this will always remain an issue, don't see a good way to fix it. That being said, I've bought a bit of drk as a curiosity but do know some people that simply passed on this coin because of the day 1 stuff.

Except nobody realized what was happening until over a day later.  By then, Evan thought he fixed it, but still had no idea what the damage was until a block explorer was made.  By then, Evan had people who had invested a lot of time into the coin, he would have lost all the interest from those people, and they wouldn't have come back were he to re-launch.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:47:20 AM

Ah yes.  But you are very young and I don't think you comprehend what that would do to the coin.  Please consider this:

1.  many people have paid a lot of money for coin, with the statistics laid out before them.  They knew of the history of the coin, yet they decided to buy anyway.  So they took into consideration the history of the coin and the future total number of coins that will be mined.   You want them to accept a short term increase of 33% of the total number of coins mined this year, decreasing the value a minimum of 30%, but likely to crash the market and kill the coin.  Look at what the "airdrop" for Auroracoin did.  People collected the coins and cashed them out right away, not caring that the price was crashing, they were getting something for nothing.  It is human nature, and I'm sorry, but at 17 you will still be idealistic, blindly so if you don't see this coming.

2.  Doing this would remove all trust in this coin.  People would feel the developer is untrustworthy, changing the game at the drop of a hat.  I argued against changing the number of coins to be mined, not just because I thought a larger number of coins was good for the usefulness of the coin, but because I didn't want things mucked with.  I think stability is important.   But since it actually  increased the future value of the coin due to making it more scarce, it was overwhelmingly supported.  But remember, people will always vote themselves more money, it's human nature.  It's why a democracy can never work and why the United States is a Republic.  Until they understand the consequences.  Unfortunately, the masses have other things on their minds than to dig in deep enough to make a wise decision.  That's why we're always in financial trouble Cheesy

I'm very glad you've become interested in cryptocurrency.  In a few years, you will have a good understanding of economics if you keep up with it.

I thought it odd that an airdrop was even briefly considered. It would kill the price of the coin and really not rectify the original issue. New people would take their free coin, then dump... and kill the price, like you said.

I did mention one idea in cryptohunter's moderated thread (unless he deleted it, like most of my other posts) --

The only way I could see something like a mini-airdrop working is if a small amount of coin was given out to early miners/adopters, sort of like a token to partially rectify the early instamine thing. I have no idea how early miners/adopters would even be identified (blockchain/mining address)? But pretend if it could be confirmed, it would get around a couple of problems of a big airdrop, mainly new people gobbling up coins to dump and killing the price of the coin. Those receiving it would be much less likely to dump, were about mining or buying coin early on, so logically they'd be more likely to hold. People would probably still complain, but it's the only way I can see anything like that working.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:48:01 AM

99% of the current holders haven't been anywhere near the first days, so all these people are trying to do is to rob us.

I didn't find DarkCoin before mid-March and didn't start actively mining or buying it before early April (tried to do so in late-March but I got driver issues and the price jumped up right then...).

There were way too many coin launches between December and February and I didn't have the whole day (every day) to really check them all out.
I wish I found this coin earlier and spend less time by hesitating if it's really as good as it seems for the first look.

But now I am here. I mine it since a few days and I bought ~800 DRK today, so I can reach the 1k mark until the official DarkSend launch.

Does this make me a robber?

Oh no, he was talking about people who think we should spread the wealth by doing an "airdrop" of 2 million more coins into the system, giving it out to people who have posted here.  This isn't going to happen, no worries Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:52:22 AM

Can someone explain to me what is going on in this block/transaction?  Block 17543 (000000000542628747303786cb09be1456998508cc3d70ede07b16c20fe75514), the only transaction (1b4c93a3bf49ad4855f74121aea68517b1073fd3a75943e19f956ae553cd2207), specifically the third output

And to make things easier, here is the transaction:

It's easier to see in the explorer:
http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/tx.dws?1b4c93a3bf49ad4855f74121aea68517b1073fd3a75943e19f956ae553cd2207.htm

It looks like some coin was sent but it was broken up in a payment and a fee?  But not sure?

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
janos666

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:55:37 AM

Another DarkSend masternode question:

Won't darkcoind periodically ask for the wallet password (in case the wallet.dat is encrypted) when it runs out of the pre-generated keys in the key pool?

Let's assume I create a wallet.dat by starting darkcoind with -keypool=0 as a masternode.
What happens?
I will need to input my password over and over again whenever it wants to send coins and expect some "change" and DarkSend will create numerous transactions, right?

What if I pre-generate 100000 keys? It will still run out at some point.

Or do I miss something which makes this a non-issue?
fearcoka
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:59:23 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 01:19:07 AM by fearcoka

Just Nao Tomori and Bitcoin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:10:10 AM

Dark Wallet getting ready to for live testing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/227lne/darkwallet_update/

Interesting Q&A:

Q. Will it be possible to connect the wallet to other cryptocurrencies? Litecoin, Peercoin, Primecoin, etc.

A. caedesv

The first version is going to be bitcoin only (well and testnet coin but maybe not at the same time). This way we avoid some complexity and also can deliver on the initial promises.

For next stage we're totally considering make it multi-currency (and other goals). Should be easy and at least with some coins looks like we can even use the same bip32 tree, one key, many currencies.

Could someone who knows their sh*t explain to me to difference between Darkcoin and Darkwallet? Is it likely to make DRK redundant? I certainly hope not as a fan/holder of DRK!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:17:48 AM

Litecoin developer, Mr Lee, asks if DogeCoin and Litecoin can be merged mined to reduce the impact of ASICs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/22dzwq/censorship_on_rdogecoin_mods_why_do_you_keep/cgm2ytt

What a great way to kill Litecoin. Expect even more miners to DRK.

Or the opposite (less miners / less network safety). I'm not entirely sure how merged mining operates, but if its simply one mining client doing the same hashing and applying it to multiple coins/pools, then DRK could benefit from merged mining with other X11 coins.

DRK can secure its network far better in this way because the inverse rewards with the increased diff create an artificial barrier for network hashrate that will probably not exceed the 20ghash rate for quite a while. But merged mining with other X11 will bypass this issue and secure DRK well.

DRK miners would probably love to increase their profitability by mining DRK + getting all the extra revenue from DRK clones. If several scrypt coins go the merged mining route, profitability for X11 could come under threat without a merged miner of our own that can be provided as an alternative. I mean if someone can mine, say, 15 scrypt coins with one miner, why would he mine DRK? It wouldn't make sense unless he has a CPU.

What I'm saying should be valid unless there is some kind of technical obstacle that I am unaware off. Perhaps those with Bitcoin merged-mining experience can shed some light.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:21:26 AM

But now I am here. I mine it since a few days and I bought ~800 DRK today, so I can reach the 1k mark until the official DarkSend launch.

Does this make me a robber?

800 DRK at today's prices? That was a steal. So, technically, yes....you did rob someone.

They were a willing participant, it was between (hopefully) consensual adults.  Nothing illegal happened, lol

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:33:35 AM

I have setup a Masternode.
- Ubuntu 64bit
- wallet encrypted
- with p2pool

Code:
./darkcoind --help
DarkCoin version v0.10.3.0-4-gb091e63-beta

2014-04-07 23:09:00 RegisterAsMasterNode
2014-04-07 23:09:00 Found unspent output equal to nValue
2014-04-07 23:09:00 Is capable master node!

Awesome, it looks like it was setup correctly, it's registered on the network!

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:34:23 AM

Evan,
Darksend is a much bigger feature than what it seems to be in the windows wallet (just a checkbox in 'send' tab currently).

Instead of having this checkbox inside the 'Send' tab, I propose the following:
1) remove 'Use DarkSend' checkbox
2) add a 'DarkSend' tab between the 'Send' and 'Receive' tabs*
3) this new tab looks and functions exactly the same as the send tab but it uses darksend technology when submitting.

This will be much better UX to differentiate this technology from standard technology.

* You can also consider putting darksend tab before the send tab.

I don't like redundancy. What about this? -> The QT client immediately switches to a darker GUI skin (basically a dark gray [current coin logo color] bakcground) whenever DarkSend is checked. (And may be the checkbox gets a little bit more notabale on the Send tab.)

Just remember, newbies already find wallets confusing. They are simple and easy to navigate if you use them regularly.

True, but I like coinzcoinzcoinz suggestion, because as he later said, you can explain how darksend works, warn of disconnection fee, etc... make a nice big progress bar or some such to show how things are progressing, and have room for that information, making it less complex to use in the end (along with a warning that you're not using privacy features in the send tab)

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
naxin

Activity: 170

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:35:51 AM

I'll bet someone will come up with a basic guide and I know the developers are going to try to build safety  into this, but do be sure, especially with that much invested, that you cover all security issues possible.  Just saying Cheesy

The only real security issue I can think of is that somebody uses the same password as he uses *everywhere* or doesn't even encrypt the wallet.dat and somebody steals it.
Otherwise, you might get a DDoS attack, but that's just painful, not permanently harmful.
And with that attitude you can say goodbye to your coins quickly.

What people aren't realizing is that by having a master node, you are essentially waving a bright flag saying "Hey, at ip address: xx.xx.xxx.xxx there is $700 (and hopefully a lot more!) just waiting for you to take if you can find it."

And you're thinking, but even if they could hack my server, I still encrypted my wallet with a 32 character password! Well guess what? If you have a master node, it means you're most likely active in the cryptocurrency community, so I can find you. And I can almost guarantee if I could break into your server, that I would be able to link you to both your online persona and your real identity.

And now with all of that, my social engineering attack would begin, you wouldn't even know I hacked your server until maybe even as long as 6 months later, when I crack the password guarding it.

My point is thus, having a master node out there is not something to take lightly unless losing the balance of the wallet is no big deal to you.

I think it is a fantastic idea, I am just warning people who don't have the right skills that having a master node is not for them. And if you have to a.) ask how to set one up or b.) have to ask if you have the right skills, 99.9% chance you should not be setting one up.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:41:08 AM

Roll Eyes

LOL, is that for me and my "catch up" posting? LOL  Sorry!  I get so I want to put my two cents in, LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:43:33 AM

I'll bet someone will come up with a basic guide and I know the developers are going to try to build safety  into this, but do be sure, especially with that much invested, that you cover all security issues possible.  Just saying Cheesy

What people aren't realizing is that by having a master node, you are essentially waving a bright flag saying "Hey, at ip address: xx.xx.xxx.xxx there is $700 (and hopefully a lot more!) just waiting for you to take if you can find it."

And you're thinking, but even if they could hack my server, I still encrypted my wallet with a 32 character password! Well guess what? If you have a master node, it means you're most likely active in the cryptocurrency community, so I can find you. And I can almost guarantee if I could break into your server, that I would be able to link you to both your online persona and your real identity.

And now with all of that, my social engineering attack would begin, you wouldn't even know I hacked your server until maybe even as long as 6 months later, when I crack the password guarding it.

My point is thus, having a master node out there is not something to take lightly unless losing the balance of the wallet is no big deal to you.

I think it is a fantastic idea, I am just warning people who don't have the right skills that having a master node is not for them. And if you have to a.) ask how to set one up or b.) have to ask if you have the right skills, 99.9% chance you should not be setting one up.

This is a very good point. Is there anyway to obscure the Master Nodes real IP address?

Edit: Scratch that. A master node operator could just run it through a proxy or tor.
janos666

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:53:15 AM

I'll bet someone will come up with a basic guide and I know the developers are going to try to build safety  into this, but do be sure, especially with that much invested, that you cover all security issues possible.  Just saying Cheesy

I still can't see how you might get my long random password which I never exposed to an online computer (just generated while running offline in a Live environment and printed out to a paper with a non-smart printer) by following me on Facebook. Roll Eyes
Good luck with that. I rarely post anything meaningful. Tongue

This is why I am concerned if I need to periodically refill the keypool manually.
It would look like shutting down the node, copying the wallet.dat, booting up an offline PC, refilling the keypool after scanning a QR code with a webcam, copying the wallet.dat back, restarting the daemon...
naxin

Activity: 170

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:20:08 AM

I still can't see how you might get my long random password which I never exposed to an online computer (just generated while running offline in a Live environment and printed out to a paper with a non-smart printer) by following me on Facebook. Roll Eyes
Good luck with that. I rarely post anything meaningful. Tongue

This is why I am concerned if I need to periodically refill the keypool manually.
It would look like shutting down the node, copying the wallet.dat, booting up an offline PC, refilling the keypool after scanning a QR code with a webcam, copying the wallet.dat back, restarting the daemon...

I personally am not much of a hacker (black hat at least), but I know/talk to people who are, and you are their favorite type of victim. So confident they are secure that it makes it so easy to get an attack in right under their nose because they are absolutely convinced they are invincible.

I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it even would work on you, that is up to a million factors, a non-negligible one of which is pure chance, but if a good, determined hacker wants to RAT your computer and they know a fair amount about you, it is going to happen. If I have access to a server you own, assuming the hosting company has your real contact information, I am going to have your address within a few days from *most* companies, if I wasn't able to already have it through other means. And if I have your address, and as I said, determined enough, most consumer routers have vulnerabilities in them, especially if you don't have the latest firmware. So once I've compromised your router, it is a matter of time watching your traffic until I find something I can exploit, and boom, RAT'ed.

But even more so, as you said, you printed it off. Maybe I'll just break into your house and look around when you're at work.

(By I in the above I mean a nefarious hacker, which I personally am not.)

1.) For $700, most of what I said is not realistic, but for $2000, $5000, $10,000? You bet your ass it is to some people.
2.) You might think everything I just said is ludacris, but I can assure you, it happens, a lot more often than you would think if you didn't have knowledge of it.

About the keypool, if the node is already running, why would you need to refill the keypool offline, all you would have to do is login to the node and run "./darkcoind keypoolrefill" and then backup the latest wallet. Realistically you could setup a cron script to do it that would be just as secure as doing it manually. (if someone got access to the server, they have the wallet, them finding out you encrypted it with a key and then pushed it into a S3 bucket named "wedding_photos.zip" (bonus points if you made the archive actually contain wedding photos which would fool *most* hackers if they got their hands on it) wouldn't matter, they would be able to download it straight from the server)
janos666

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:34:06 AM

But even more so, as you said, you printed it off. Maybe I'll just break into your house and look around when you're at work.

1.) For $700, most of what I said is not realistic, but for $2000, $5000, $10,000? You bet your ass it is to some people.

Of course, and you can steal even more than 1000 DRK by breaking into my house. What does that have to do with running a DRK node? I can think of a lot of easier ways to pick a house for breaking into.

May be, if 1 DRK will worth >=10$. Oh well, I will be paranoid about my DRK (assuming I am still holding that much)! But I guess the masternode requirement will be lowered by then and I can keep most if it somewhere safer.

About the keypool, if the node is already running, why would you need to refill the keypool offline, all you would have to do is login to the node and run "./darkcoind keypoolrefill" and then backup the latest wallet. Realistically you could setup a cron script to do it that would be just as secure as doing it manually. (if someone got access to the server, they have the wallet, them finding out you encrypted it with a key and then pushed it into a S3 bucket named "wedding_photos.zip" (bonus points if you made the archive actually contain wedding photos which would fool *most* hackers if they got their hands on it) wouldn't matter, they would be able to download it straight from the server)

That's the problem...
I never want to expose my password to an online machine until I absolutely have to (which is when I want to spend the coins from that wallet).
Having to periodically refill the keypool makes this complicated.
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:43:30 AM

Dark Wallet getting ready to for live testing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/227lne/darkwallet_update/

Interesting Q&A:

Q. Will it be possible to connect the wallet to other cryptocurrencies? Litecoin, Peercoin, Primecoin, etc.

A. caedesv

The first version is going to be bitcoin only (well and testnet coin but maybe not at the same time). This way we avoid some complexity and also can deliver on the initial promises.

For next stage we're totally considering make it multi-currency (and other goals). Should be easy and at least with some coins looks like we can even use the same bip32 tree, one key, many currencies.

Could someone who knows their sh*t explain to me to difference between Darkcoin and Darkwallet? Is it likely to make DRK redundant? I certainly hope not as a fan/holder of DRK!

Anyone? A little help  Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 [655] 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: