Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:26:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 294 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com  (Read 465522 times)
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 12:31:47 AM

The aspect of all these cryptocoins that we have been mining that most amuses me is the "halvening" ratio of decreasing number of coins rewarded per block at predetermined block height intervals.  That is, for the first x number of blocks, the number of coins in each of those blocks is y, and then for the next x number of blocks, the number of coins in each of those blocks is y/2, and so on to y/4 and y/8, etc.

If we were to build an actual physical structure for which the length of each of its four outer walls followed the same formula -- where the width of the each new level built upwards in height were half the width of the level below it, what would this structure ultimately look like?!

You seem to be deluded that expressing the dumbest ideas in the most convoluted way somehow displays your intellectual superiority, but I doubt that it looks like that to others.

To answer your question, it would look like a turd. Did I win a prize?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JHammer

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:34:28 AM

The aspect of all these cryptocoins that we have been mining that most amuses me is the "halvening" ratio of decreasing number of coins rewarded per block at predetermined block height intervals.  That is, for the first x number of blocks, the number of coins in each of those blocks is y, and then for the next x number of blocks, the number of coins in each of those blocks is y/2, and so on to y/4 and y/8, etc.

If we were to build an actual physical structure for which the length of each of its four outer walls followed the same formula -- where the width of the each new level built upwards in height were half the width of the level below it, what would this structure ultimately look like?!

You seem to be deluded that expressing the dumbest ideas in the most convoluted way somehow displays your intellectual superiority, but I doubt that it looks like that to others.

LMFAO
comeonalready

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:34:43 AM

What is strange with my Hosted GridSpeed connected to Waffle East is my hash rate shows 0 but my Earned and unconverted keeps growing???  What the heck??
why dont you ask gridseed manages? 98.8% of people in here do not like your kind as much as thier first hangover.

I have.. But if its a Pool issue its not their issue..

And yea I could see how people would not like me considering I am getting Free hosting including free electricity and Internet..

I dont care what people like or dont like..

Is this some sort of gridseed deal or are you just able to stick them into a works server room? Smiley
Thanks
Miles

I dont work for them and dont want to get flamed by all the silly noobs on this site.

But it is GAWMiners     Look them up if you want. They have been offering free hosting..   I got a 20 pack yesterday during the day, and was up and hashing last night

Why would anyone spend $2000 on 3000-3400MH/s of scrypt mining power when it will take over 200 days to recoup the hardware cost at today's script coin values -- even with free electricity thrown in on the deal?  The writing is on the wall.  The profitability of scrypt mining is on the decline.  It will take much longer than 200 days to pay for that hardware, if you ever do.  At some point gaw will just decide to ship that equipment to you for free in order to remain profitable themselves.  Miners using GPUs will be able to switch to another algorithm to keep going for a little longer. but those gridseeds only become nice decorations.

The many mining booms in history (gold, silver, uranium, whatever) have shown that it is the suppliers to miners that earn the most profits from the boom.  And in the case of cryptocoin mining, the electricity companies too!

Yes..  I was told this same thing when I got into GPU mining in Mid 2013..  Go figure..   Kiss

I believe at the worst case, I will recoup..   But things change, pools evolve and I do believe some folks have been saying GPU mining has been dead since.. Oh lets see, early 2013???

So the ghost of profits past are coercing you invest more heavily in mining even as scrypt cryptocoin values are steadily decreasing?  Obviously I cannot know the future, but neither can you.  And if any of the profits you earned were from mining and holding, then those profits were actually from market speculation, and you might possibly have earned the same or more by simply buying cryptocoins instead of mining them and waiting for them to rise in value.  
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:36:31 AM

Exactly!  A pyramid shaped turd.  That the block chain index is actually referred to as "height" is the biggest clue.

In the 1600's, Galileo was persecuted for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.  But ultimately the masses came around to his way of thinking.  Unless you wish to claim otherwise.
JHammer

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:41:28 AM

What is strange with my Hosted GridSpeed connected to Waffle East is my hash rate shows 0 but my Earned and unconverted keeps growing???  What the heck??
why dont you ask gridseed manages? 98.8% of people in here do not like your kind as much as thier first hangover.

And yea I could see how people would not like me considering I am getting Free hosting including free electricity and Internet..

Is this some sort of gridseed deal or are you just able to stick them into a works server room? Smiley
Thanks
Miles

I dont work for them and dont want to get flamed by all the silly noobs on this site.

But it is GAWMiners     Look them up if you want. They have been offering free hosting..   I got a 20 pack yesterday during the day, and was up and hashing last night

Why would anyone spend $2000 on 3000-3400MH/s of scrypt mining power when it will take over 200 days to recoup the hardware cost at today's script coin values -- even with free electricity thrown in on the deal?  The writing is on the wall.  The profitability of scrypt mining is on the decline.  It will take much longer than 200 days to pay for that hardware, if you ever do.  At some point gaw will just decide to ship that equipment to you for free in order to remain profitable themselves.  Miners using GPUs will be able to switch to another algorithm to keep going for a little longer. but those gridseeds only become nice decorations.

The many mining booms in history (gold, silver, uranium, whatever) have shown that it is the suppliers to miners that earn the most profits from the boom.  And in the case of cryptocoin mining, the electricity companies too!

Yes..  I was told this same thing when I got into GPU mining in Mid 2013..  Go figure..   Kiss

I believe at the worst case, I will recoup..   But things change, pools evolve and I do believe some folks have been saying GPU mining has been dead since.. Oh lets see, early 2013???

So the ghost of profits past are coercing you invest more heavily in mining even as scrypt cryptocoin values are steadily decreasing?  Obviously I cannot know the future, but neither can you.  And if any of the profits you earned were from mining and holding, then those profits were actually from market speculation, and you might possibly have earned the same or more by simply buying cryptocoins instead of mining them and waiting for them to rise in value.  

I never buy and hold.. IMO, that is one of the dumbest strategies..  But LOTS of people seem to believe in it..  Most of my profits have been made using a trading bot.. Buy low sell High.. Over and Over and Over again and while I sleep..   I know a lot of people still holding, when my bot sold at $1200  Wink  But I will admit I hit the timing just right when BTC went to $1400 last Nov..   But still  I am WAY ahead of the game with the profits I have made so far..
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:46:32 AM

Thanks
Miles

I never buy and hold.. IMO, that is one of the dumbest strategies..  But LOTS of people seem to believe in it..  Most of my profits have been made using a trading bot.. Buy low sell High.. Over and Over and Over again and while I sleep..   I know a lot of people still holding, when my bot sold at $1200  Wink  But I will admit I hit the timing just right when BTC went to $1400 last Nov..   But still  I am WAY ahead of the game with the profits I have made so far..

Then admittedly, most of your profits originate from successful trading strategies, so any investment in mining hardware is a more akin to buying a lottery ticket, as you will almost certainly lose, but you might just hit it big.  Given your past successes, you should likely concentrate your efforts in trading, and not dilute your focus with mining.
JHammer

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:49:46 AM

Thanks
Miles

I never buy and hold.. IMO, that is one of the dumbest strategies..  But LOTS of people seem to believe in it..  Most of my profits have been made using a trading bot.. Buy low sell High.. Over and Over and Over again and while I sleep..   I know a lot of people still holding, when my bot sold at $1200  Wink  But I will admit I hit the timing just right when BTC went to $1400 last Nov..   But still  I am WAY ahead of the game with the profits I have made so far..

So admittedly, most of your profits originate from successful trading strategies, so any investment in mining hardware is a more akin to buying a lottery ticket, as you will almost certainly lose, but you might just hit it big.  Given your past successes, you should likely concentrate your efforts in trading, and not dilute your focus with mining.

My Mining Feeds my Trading Balance..   I have been doing just fine but thanks for your insight..   As my Grandma use it say.. Opinions are like ass holes..  Everyone has one...
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 12:55:40 AM

In the 1600's, Galileo was persecuted for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.  But ultimately the masses came around to his way of thinking.  Unless you wish to claim otherwise.

Oh, so you're the Galileo of forum trolls? That's not weird at all. I'm Spartacus by the way. Nice meeting you.
miless2111s

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:56:30 AM

Thanks
Miles

But it is GAWMiners     Look them up if you want. They have been offering free hosting..   I got a 20 pack yesterday during the day, and was up and hashing last night
hey, you'll get no hate off me; we're all in this for different reasons and if someone can buy ASIC rather than GPU who am I to say no.  If I had 10K kicking around I might do the same if only they would deliver rather than take the P and mine on my cash.  BUt I don't have 10K so that's never going to be an issue.  I just hope I recover the 5K I've spent on GPU mining ) and make some cash too so that I can look my wife and father in the eye and say the risk was worth it Smiley Smiley  I also hope that crypto survives but I don't have any illusions that any given coin is going to make it!

I'll look up GAW and see what they do - thanks for the info.

Miles
lagster

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:00:36 AM

For those of you affected by the problem with detailed cgminer logs, (from cgminer/sgminer, not cgwatcher as it does not log such messages), may I suggest that you search for "reconnect requested" messages for any possible evidence of this method being used.

is it too late to scan open ports of whole interwebs to send switch command yet?
miless2111s

Activity: 55

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:01:26 AM

Oh, so you're the Galileo of forum trolls? That's not weird at all. I'm Spartacus by the way. Nice meeting you.
No I'm Spartacus....

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Should go to bed now.  Mumble, gibber Smiley
lagster

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:05:11 AM

ffs you could never met.
lagster

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:09:56 AM

is there any clear info about what happened with dns of east waffle server? ip to where all hashes went or anything? did they actually go anywhere?
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:11:59 AM

Thanks
Miles

So admittedly, most of your profits originate from successful trading strategies, so any investment in mining hardware is a more akin to buying a lottery ticket, as you will almost certainly lose, but you might just hit it big.  Given your past successes, you should likely concentrate your efforts in trading, and not dilute your focus with mining.

My Mining Feeds my Trading Balance..   I have been doing just fine but thanks for your insight..   As my Grandma use it say.. Opinions are like ass holes..  Everyone has one...

2000USD converted into cryptocoins would also have fed your trading balance quite well.  My only point is this.  With 3000-3400KH/s of gridseed hardware, you are guaranteed a 0% rate of return on your investment until you recoup hardware costs, perhaps in 200+ days, give or take.  And then you will be in pure profit territory, if gaw continues to pay for your 72KWh consumed every month.  But with a profitable trading strategy, you are losing out on immediate returns on $2000 otherwise allocated to gridseed hardware, and while each individual trading profit might be small, the cumulative effects of compounding might make that gridseed investment a losing proposition.  It is your money and your risk and certainly entitled to choose any route you wish.  I am just trying to collect as much information as I can and analyze all possibilities.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:17:37 AM

Galileo was a thinker and observer of the world and how it functions.  Spartacus was a warrior.  The only reason you know his name is because he was good at fighting.  I suppose if the two had lived during the same time period, Spartacus might have killed Galileo for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.
JHammer

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:30:58 AM

Thanks
Miles

2000USD converted into cryptocoins would also have fed your trading balance quite well.  My only point is this.  With 3000-3400KH/s of gridseed hardware, you are guaranteed a 0% rate of return on your investment until you recoup hardware costs, perhaps in 200+ days, give or take.  And then you will be in pure profit territory, if gaw continues to pay for your 72KWh consumed every month.  But with a profitable trading strategy, you are losing out on immediate returns on $2000 otherwise allocated to gridseed hardware, and while each individual trading profit might be small, the cumulative effects of compounding might make that gridseed investment a losing proposition.  It is your money and your risk and certainly entitled to choose any route you wish.  I am just trying to collect as much information as I can and analyze all possibilities.

No Problem.. You make some good points.. All of which I already considered..   I just get a kick out of every time I see a post of "Doom and Gloom GPU and Alt Coins is dead".  If I had a nickle each time I heard this, I would have made more from my nickles then my BTC profits..  I work in IT,since 1988,  They were saying in 1988 Mainframes are dead and Programmers are dead and will no longer be needed..   2014 and I am still waiting..   Wink
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:32:34 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2014, 01:53:25 AM by comeonalready

For those of you affected by the problem with detailed cgminer logs, (from cgminer/sgminer, not cgwatcher as it does not log such messages), may I suggest that you search for "reconnect requested" messages for any possible evidence of this method being used.

is it too late to scan open ports of whole interwebs to send switch command yet?

The client.reconnect command must originate from the pool stratum server itself or a tcp packet must be spoofed in order to make it look like it originated from the pool stratum server.  In addition, the tcp packet sequence number must be within the proper expected range, and there is an additional stratum sequence counter that would need to be within the proper expected range as well.  And as a successfully issued client.reconnect command would cause your miner to immediately disconnect from the active stratum server and initiate a stratum connection to another server specified within the message, wafflepool servers might only see a client disconnecting for no apparent reason.

In any case, even if a wafflepool server were infiltrated only so far as to obtain the list of active network connections containing ip addresses and source ports of miners, then such an attack would be possible.  And barring infiltration of any wafflepool server itself, this information could potentially be collected upstream of wafflepool servers if another different piece of network hardware is compromised instead.

That affected miners were showing the unexpected ip address on their status screens suggests an attack other than dns hijack, as mining software (such as cgminer) that usually displays a server name instead of its resolved address, would continue showing a server name, but the underlying network transport would resolve that server name to a different ip address.
lagster

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:05:25 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2014, 02:22:59 AM by lagster

That affected miners were showing the unexpected ip address on their status screens suggests an attack other than dns hijack, as mining software (such as cgminer) that usually displays a server name instead of its resolved address, would continue showing a server name, but the underlying network transport would resolve that server name to a different ip address.
sgminer and cgminer-37.3 (k) display pool names from their config files even when you set url to hard ://ip did someone changed configs during the "thing" to point miners to ://ip instead of name of the server? or may be to other pool and it went ok? what platform did miners who suffered used? bamt(what version and miner) or win cg or sg or cg-k? and what does edumacate mean?
and, considering scrypt asic situation right now, i would invest some $ in this kind of uberswitcherfacetoassbassin (the one, switching dns servers instead of coins)
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 02:08:05 AM

Galileo was a thinker and observer of the world and how it functions.  Spartacus was a warrior.  The only reason you know his name is because he was good at fighting.  I suppose if the two had lived during the same time period, Spartacus might have killed Galileo for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

Thank you, I'll consider that. So what's the deal, do you get a kick out of this, or are you just bored since you have no friends to edumacate? What's next, are you gonna tell me Earth is more than 6000 years old? Imagine what a scientific breakthrough that would be.
comeonalready

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:17:48 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2014, 08:26:26 AM by comeonalready

In the 1600's, Galileo was persecuted for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.  But ultimately the masses came around to his way of thinking.  Unless you wish to claim otherwise.

Galileo was a thinker and observer of the world and how it functions.  Spartacus was a warrior.  The only reason you know his name is because he was good at fighting.  I suppose if the two had lived during the same time period, Spartacus might have killed Galileo for suggesting that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

Thank you, I'll consider that. So what's the deal, do you get a kick out of this, or are you just bored since you have no friends to edumacate? What's next, are you gonna tell me Earth is more than 6000 years old? Imagine what a scientific breakthrough that would be.

I am a student of human nature.  And as such, I notice that you have no relevant point to make, and thus attack in order to maintain an illusion of knowledge and air of superiority.  If you do not share the opinions of others, you seem to dismiss them, rather than consider their merit.  Time will eventually tell all.
Pages: « 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 294 »
  Print  

Jump to: