Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:45:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage  (Read 389681 times)
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:00:15 PM

Is there a wallet to store StorJ Coins locally? Do they need to be kept on Counterwallet?
You can just keep them in your bitcoin address without loading the privet key in counterwallet and then you can store it locally.

Seems like you can't get the priv key out of the Counterwallet anyway. Why is that? You can backup the wallet but that's about it.
How would you send StorjX with a BTC address on a local client?

You can of course get the private key out of counterWallet ...

All it takes is 3 clicks after logging in  Cheesy

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
truckythin

Activity: 781
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:11:30 PM

if i participate today, when will i can mine with driveminer?
ervalvola

Activity: 669
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 01:53:11 PM

Hey guys,
sorry but, even if interested in the project, I hadn't the time to read all this thread and I dont find very exhaustive the informations I found in the website.
Besides others question the two points which I would like to be clarified are:

- there is a plan to issue other kind of coins (I remember I've read this somewhere)? If it is the case, what would be the purpose of a new coin (example very much appreciated) and what will be its relation with SCJX.

- What if the 10,000BTC isn't reached? I don't find satisfactory the asnwer that super3 gave in the topic of the official forum or in reddit. To be specific:

So we don't intent to fully raise 10,000 BTC. This is actually completely fine. What we have is a large pool of funds that we can distribute via early mining, and future crowdsales.

So lets take an example so lets say we raise 1,000 BTC. We set a multiplier of 2x. So We have 1,000 BTC worth of SJCX set aside. So that would be if you donated 1 BTC, you would be able to mine an additional 1 BTC worth of Storjcoin X in the early network(very easy mining).

So as we onload more developers our app pool gets bigger. We are looking at developing decentralized youtube/decentralized imgur among a few other options. These will have the own specific rewards attached to them.

So the percentage of funds to be allocated to "farming/mining bonus" is completely arbitrary? In your example 8000 BTC worth of storjcoin still are missing...
what means "future crowdsales"?!?

Thx in advance 

Byter88

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:10:22 PM

So basically, once the IPO is over, those who participated can start selling their HD space? I can basically buy a few external HDs and allocate the space to the Storj network?
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 03:30:32 PM

Hey guys,
sorry but, even if interested in the project, I hadn't the time to read all this thread and I dont find very exhaustive the informations I found in the website.

- there is a plan to issue other kind of coins (I remember I've read this somewhere)? If it is the case, what would be the purpose of a new coin (example very much appreciated) and what will be its relation with SCJX.

- What if the 10,000BTC isn't reached? I don't find satisfactory the asnwer that super3 gave in the topic of the official forum or in reddit. To be specific:

So we don't intent to fully raise 10,000 BTC. This is actually completely fine. What we have is a large pool of funds that we can distribute via early mining, and future crowdsales.

So lets take an example so lets say we raise 1,000 BTC. We set a multiplier of 2x. So We have 1,000 BTC worth of SJCX set aside. So that would be if you donated 1 BTC, you would be able to mine an additional 1 BTC worth of Storjcoin X in the early network(very easy mining).

So as we onload more developers our app pool gets bigger. We are looking at developing decentralized youtube/decentralized imgur among a few other options. These will have the own specific rewards attached to them.

So the percentage of funds to be allocated to "farming/mining bonus" is completely arbitrary? In your example 8000 BTC worth of storjcoin still are missing...

Thx in advance 

So we had to get a baseline on the crowdsale to figure out what the multiplier will be. Now things have cooled down we can start to figure out what the multiplier is, and how much we want to devote to crowdsales. If you want to be a part of the conversation make sure you join http://storjtalk.org. We will put out an email about the details soon. My priority is to get the prototype miner out right now.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Robin37s

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:54:53 AM

Hey guys,

Thx in advance 

So we had to get a baseline on the crowdsale to figure out what the multiplier will be. Now things have cooled down we can start to figure out what the multiplier is, and how much we want to devote to crowdsales. If you want to be a part of the conversation make sure you join http://storjtalk.org. We will put out an email about the details soon. My priority is to get the prototype miner out right now.

so the blockchain(maybe the concept?) of the dtc was introduced into the storj?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:30:47 AM

So you guys sent your Bitcoins to an unknown guy and are waiting for the signal to buy new HDs and put then online 24/7 ?

Is anyone have more money to through out-the-window ? I need to buy a need car.
I'm also an unknown dude and I'll give you the signal to buy HDs if you like.
mangodream

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:24:16 PM

OP now be like :

hill

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:32:46 PM

So you guys sent your Bitcoins to an unknown guy and are waiting for the signal to buy new HDs and put then online 24/7 ?

Try to be a adult, dude!

Good Luck For Everyone!
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:44:52 PM

Try to be a adult, dude!

It's called irony.
I would like to cry for investors but I've got this big smile on my face that cannot take off.
Dunno why.
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:53:58 PM

Try to be a adult, dude!

It's called irony.
I would like to cry for investors but I've got this big smile on my face that cannot take off.
Dunno why.

Because you're a fucking idiot maybe?

People are donating to a project they believe in, you know, something silly about the right to privacy and all that jazz.

But hey, lets never take any fucking chances in life and just be happy and content with the NSA and friends sodomizing the whole fucking lot of us. Super3 has been pretty fucking awesome all throughout this project so far, he is a keen listener and is addressing all the constructive criticism the best he can. Can we all be 100% sure that he will not run away with the money? No, but I'll take the chance that he will not ruin his own good name and do his absolute best to run this awesome project to the fucking moon.
ejinte

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:01:41 PM

Could anyone answer what is the advantage of Storj compared to maidsafe?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
ejinte

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:16:00 PM

http://storjtalk.org/index.php?topic=1266.msg1523#new

Yeah that didn't give me much.... I've been looking into it and it seems that Storj doesn't have any real advantages?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:24:30 PM

http://storjtalk.org/index.php?topic=1266.msg1523#new

Yeah that didn't give me much.... I've been looking into it and it seems that Storj doesn't have any real advantages?

Storj seems to be moving forward. Maidsafe wants to be everything from day one, whereas Storj takes the development in stages. The first application is a dropbox-clone, and when that is ready they will let the community decide what then to focus on.

In any case, competition is good.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:23:59 PM

People are donating to a project they believe in, you know, something silly about the right to privacy and all that jazz.
But hey, lets never take any fucking chances in life and just be happy and content with the NSA and friends sodomizing the whole fucking lot of us. Super3 has been pretty fucking awesome all throughout this project so far, he is a keen listener and is addressing all the constructive criticism the best he can. Can we all be 100% sure that he will not run away with the money? No, but I'll take the chance that he will not ruin his own good name and do his absolute best to run this awesome project to the fucking moon.

Hey calm down dude.

I know Storj is an awesome project but your are wrong about the IPO : most people this as a get-rich-quick-scheme, not like a crowdfunding project.
I'll take as an example the MaidSafe where most noobs lost a lot of money because they didn't know what was going on and are still complaining like hell.

Moreover, as awesome as this project can be, it doesn't need THAT much money. It's just disproportionate.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:33:27 PM

Hey calm down dude.

I know Storj is an awesome project but your are wrong about the IPO : most people this as a get-rich-quick-scheme, not like a crowdfunding project.
I'll take as an example the MaidSafe where most noobs lost a lot of money because they didn't know what was going on and are still complaining like hell.

Moreover, as awesome as this project can be, it doesn't need THAT much money. It's just disproportionate.

yea, im not even going to read about storj. Its a SCAM. Grin Cheesy
Poltroon

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:16:56 AM

Sorry for the newb question... I don't understand how Storj or others will "decentralize" things.  If you get paid for having a hard drive online and it's profitable than someone is just going to get a warehouse full of cheap hard drives and people doing it with just one or two hard drives won't make enough to bother.  Same reason nobody mines bitcoin with their PC anymore.  If people are using their home computers they would be super unreliable, it's just a matter of time before data is lost even with some redundancy.  Am I missing something?
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:26:08 AM

Sorry for the newb question... I don't understand how Storj or others will "decentralize" things.  If you get paid for having a hard drive online and it's profitable than someone is just going to get a warehouse full of cheap hard drives and people doing it with just one or two hard drives won't make enough to bother.  Same reason nobody mines bitcoin with their PC anymore.  If people are using their home computers they would be super unreliable, it's just a matter of time before data is lost even with some redundancy.  Am I missing something?
Its the economic concept of user space. See page 7 on the crowdsale deck:

You already paid for your hard drive and computer. In essence that is a sunk cost, vs Amazon which must buy severs, cool them, maintain them, have investor profits etc. Extra user space is so large that traditional cloud companies don't even fit on the scale. The Bitcoin network is more powerful than the top 500 super computers combined, by order of magnitude. We apply that same thing to our network.

"data is lost even with some redundancy" tl;dr periodic hash challenge verification of file integrity also serves as a trigger for file recovery from other nodes. all files are at least 3x redundant on the network, but you could set your file redundancy to 500 if you wanted to protect it from Armageddon.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:26:33 AM

I cover a decent bit of Storj in this presentation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-fZgsovgI

Poltroon

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:04:23 AM

"data is lost even with some redundancy" tl;dr periodic hash challenge verification of file integrity also serves as a trigger for file recovery from other nodes. all files are at least 3x redundant on the network, but you could set your file redundancy to 500 if you wanted to protect it from Armageddon.
but Storj doesn't know what is real redundancy and what isn't.  You might think the file is backed up in 500 places but all those places end up being the same guy and maybe even same location.  Locations can be disguised right?  "sybil attack"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: