Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:54:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: I would purchase mining time with...
BTC - 231 (57.5%)
MTGOXUSD Codes - 32 (8%)
Credit Card - 112 (27.9%)
Other e-currency (ie. Dwolla, Paxum) - 27 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 400

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 130 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GPUMAX | The Bitcoin Mining Marketplace  (Read 215503 times)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:59:35 PM

According to BTCGuild, the current PPS rate is 0.0000363.
On gpumax, the current price to buy per share is 0.0000572.
Using 20,000 shares, that would cost me  1.144BTC. In return, I would only get 0.726BTC from BTCGuild.
Why would anyone wants to do that?
I can see a reason to buy if the price to buy is quoted in USD. But if I am paying in BTC, and receiving in BTC, what am I to gain from this?

I am not going to go into detail about what most people don't seem to understand but I will tell you that it can become very profitable very quickly.

I am resurrecting this old post because I would like to understand this. It isn't the first time a question similar to @chungenhung's was brought up, but each time (as in @pirateat40's response above) the 'answer' was vague at best. I have read this entire thread, twice, and it still hasn't clicked with me. Perhaps I am naive; perhaps my mindset is in the wrong place.

My the basic question: why would someone buy shares at a rate greater than the current PPS rate? Why pay 1.2BTC for a service that returns 1.0BTC to the buyer? I can visualize some uses (testing a pool, for example), but I find it hard to believe this is what the bulk of the purchases are being used for. How does a buyer profit?

Obviously this is popular with the miners because they get paid more; I understand that. But how does it profit the buyers?

Would someone care to explain this with some concrete examples of what most people actually do with the purchased shares? Something more informative than 'I won't go into detail', or 'if you do not get it do not use the service'. Thanks in advance.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 05:04:05 PM

Using 20,000 shares, that would cost me  1.144BTC. In return, I would only get 0.726BTC from BTCGuild.
I can see a reason to buy if the price to buy is quoted in USD. But if I am paying in BTC, and receiving in BTC, what am I to gain from this?

I am not going to go into detail about what most people don't seem to understand but I will tell you that it can become very profitable very quickly.

I am resurrecting this old post because I would like to understand this. It isn't the first time a question similar to @chungenhung's was brought up, but each time (as in @pirateat40's response above) the 'answer' was vague at best. I have read this entire thread, twice, and it still hasn't clicked with me. Perhaps I am naive; perhaps my mindset is in the wrong place.

My the basic question: why would someone buy shares at a rate greater than the current PPS rate? Why pay 1.2BTC for a service that returns 1.0BTC to the buyer? I can visualize some uses (testing a pool, for example), but I find it hard to believe this is what the bulk of the purchases are being used for. How does a buyer profit?

Obviously this is popular with the miners because they get paid more; I understand that. But how does it profit the buyers?

Would someone care to explain this with some concrete examples of what most people actually do with the purchased shares? Something more informative than 'I won't go into detail', or 'if you do not get it do not use the service'. Thanks in advance.

I'm not going to be the one to spill the beans as it's a closely guarded secret.  I think if you spent enough time thinking about it you could figure it out. Smiley

Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 06:07:30 PM

I'm not going to be the one to spill the beans as it's a closely guarded secret.  I think if you spent enough time thinking about it you could figure it out. Smiley
well, someone on this thread already explained why, subtly.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 06:10:44 PM

I'm just having fun playing god and pissing hashes all over various pools! Grin

BTW pirateat40, why is the hash rate jumping up and down so much? It slowly creeps up from 55ghash or so to about 70, and then suddenly resets back to 55 or so, and starts over.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 06:12:11 PM

I'm just having fun playing god and pissing hashes all over various pools! Grin

BTW pirateat40, why is the hash rate jumping up and down so much? It slowly creeps up from 55ghash or so to about 70, and then suddenly resets back to 55 or so, and starts over.

We have lots of purchases running, ending and new ones starting.  So its bounces around a lot.

michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 06:43:12 PM

What I'm wondering is if there's an element of gambling involved with sending those shares to a pool like Slush.  Suppose one doesn't buy 20k, but rather 500k, and this costs 10BTC.  If you rush those shares onto Slush all at once AND a block is found, would your reward of huge very recent shares be profitable?  Can you crowd out everyone else?
siggy

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 06:54:22 PM

As a miner.. I've been wondering this myself.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that I was gonna pull my miners on moral grounds that "they gotta be hopping" .. Luckily just around that time, Pirate made the anti-hop post.  I was back to "Hrrmmmm....  what the heck"

About an hour ago, I just had an epiphany that it really IS possible there is a 1) completely legal, 2) completely moral, 3) non-hopping (for those of you who don't have a moral issue with hopping) reason for one to purchase hashing power at above market rate.  I'm not going to spill the beans on my idea just yet.  Suffice it to say that very soon, I'll be going from a net-seller to a net-buyer of hashies.

My apologies for this being the complete oposite of "concrete example" .. I just wanted to get out there that there is at least one person who has thought of a non-hopping reason to buy shares.

Sigg
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 07:19:55 PM

I'm not going to be the one to spill the beans as it's a closely guarded secret.  I think if you spent enough time thinking about it you could figure it out. Smiley
pool hopping? but is it really that profitable to pay 120%+ pps?

As a miner.. I've been wondering this myself.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that I was gonna pull my miners on moral grounds that "they gotta be hopping" .. Luckily just around that time, Pirate made the anti-hop post.  I was back to "Hrrmmmm....  what the heck"

About an hour ago, I just had an epiphany that it really IS possible there is a 1) completely legal, 2) completely moral, 3) non-hopping (for those of you who don't have a moral issue with hopping) reason for one to purchase hashing power at above market rate.  I'm not going to spill the beans on my idea just yet.  Suffice it to say that very soon, I'll be going from a net-seller to a net-buyer of hashies.

My apologies for this being the complete oposite of "concrete example" .. I just wanted to get out there that there is at least one person who has thought of a non-hopping reason to buy shares.

Sigg
ok what's the secret? laundering dirty coins? attacking alt-coins?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 07:38:21 PM

I'm not going to be the one to spill the beans as it's a closely guarded secret.  I think if you spent enough time thinking about it you could figure it out. Smiley
pool hopping? but is it really that profitable to pay 120%+ pps?

As a miner.. I've been wondering this myself.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that I was gonna pull my miners on moral grounds that "they gotta be hopping" .. Luckily just around that time, Pirate made the anti-hop post.  I was back to "Hrrmmmm....  what the heck"

About an hour ago, I just had an epiphany that it really IS possible there is a 1) completely legal, 2) completely moral, 3) non-hopping (for those of you who don't have a moral issue with hopping) reason for one to purchase hashing power at above market rate.  I'm not going to spill the beans on my idea just yet.  Suffice it to say that very soon, I'll be going from a net-seller to a net-buyer of hashies.

Sigg
ok what's the secret? laundering dirty coins? attacking alt-coins?

grue,

We have made is extremely clear that our system can not be used for attacking alt-coins.  I also don't know where this thought of laundering dirty coins came from but it sounds like FUD to me.  I will say it again and again and again.  If you don't understand it, don't buy it.  I find it really hard to believe that someone like you can't see the benefits of a service like this.  It seem that anyone that doesn't understand jumps to the conclusion that it has to be illegal or harmful.

I am a huge supporter of Bitcoin and the community and can't understand why people would think I of all people would create something to destroy not only my reputation but the very reason we're all here.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 08:36:02 PM

grue,

We have made is extremely clear that our system can not be used for attacking alt-coins.  I also don't know where this thought of laundering dirty coins came from but it sounds like FUD to me.  I will say it again and again and again.  If you don't understand it, don't buy it.  I find it really hard to believe that someone like you can't see the benefits of a service like this.  It seem that anyone that doesn't understand jumps to the conclusion that it has to be illegal or harmful.

I am a huge supporter of Bitcoin and the community and can't understand why people would think I of all people would create something to destroy not only my reputation but the very reason we're all here.

I'm just curious why people would want to pay 150% pps. if it's indeed that profitable and risk free, i want to get in on it Cheesy

but this is free market so i probably won't know the secret Sad

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 08:58:53 PM

Update:

We are running about a 2 hour delay on purchases.  I know a lot of your have messaged me asking if everything is ok and just wanted to let everyone know that everything is fine, we're just backed up.

fulepp

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 09:28:55 PM

Pirate40,

I am wondering when are you planing to implement the transaction history and manual payout? It seems my account is not processed every day and i can't really follow what payment arrived from your site or from an other site.

BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:22:53 AM

One of the possible reasons (though unlikely the one being discussed, I certainly wouldn't describe it as an epiphany) is pool start up. Especially for proportional pools, a pool looking to gain inroads in a crowded market needs a significant hashrate. Pool operators could buy at above PPS now to (theoretically) make money later.

However, I do not think this is the reason being discussed, and I would appreciate an explanation. Free market, yes, but I think most of us here believe in information sharing. I certainly would like to learn, and I hope someone would be willing to help. Brooding on it for a while brought me naught but the above.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
siggy

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:19:42 AM

Pirate40,

I am wondering when are you planing to implement the transaction history and manual payout? It seems my account is not processed every day and i can't really follow what payment arrived from your site or from an other site.

double-plus-one on the transaction history for payouts... this currently tops my wish list by an order of magnitude.

Sigg
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:13:01 AM

I certainly would like to learn, and I hope someone would be willing to help. Brooding on it for a while brought me naught but the above.

Who cares it is what it is we are getting paid for our hashing power as long as it is not used for malicious purposes I'm fine with it..

You may be; I'm curious, and I'd like to be my own judge of what are and are not malicious purposes.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 02:31:19 AM

I certainly would like to learn, and I hope someone would be willing to help. Brooding on it for a while brought me naught but the above.

Who cares it is what it is we are getting paid for our hashing power as long as it is not used for malicious purposes I'm fine with it..

You may be; I'm curious, and I'd like to be my own judge of what are and are not malicious purposes.

If we were using our hashing power to be destructive... you would know by now. Smiley

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:34:23 AM

If we were using our hashing power to be destructive... you would know by now. Smiley

+ you are dealing with one of the most honest pirates you will ever know.
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 02:35:21 AM

+ you are dealing with one of the most honest pirates you will ever know.

Don't listen to him.... I'll steal all your money!

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:36:15 AM

What is the total hash power of GPUMAX right now anyway? There isn't really any way to tell.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 02:37:43 AM

What is the total hash power of GPUMAX right now anyway? There isn't really any way to tell.

Ah, yes...  and we will keep it that way. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 130 »
  Print  

Jump to: