Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:46:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 160 »
  Print  
Author Topic: New Official AMT Thread  (Read 149437 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:19:16 PM

/rant mode on

It's kinda aggravating that we have no communication from AMT or even feedback on the engineering work we are doing. We are essentially doing the job for them that they should be doing. The support, firmware work and all that is something we should not have to do outside of a hobby status. Its one thing to do this because we might not like the firmware we got. BUT when we are actually repairing and basically pointing out the engineering flaws without ANY feedback from them its a pretty aggravating situation. We paid for these things and on top of that having to barley get them working. trying to make the best out of a really bad situation but the LEAST they could do is actually respond to emails.

/rant mode off.

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sabre

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:25:26 PM

/rant mode on

It's kinda aggravating that we have no communication from AMT or even feedback on the engineering work we are doing. We are essentially doing the job for them that they should be doing. The support, firmware work and all that is something we should not have to do outside of a hobby status. Its one thing to do this because we might not like the firmware we got. BUT when we are actually repairing and basically pointing out the engineering flaws without ANY feedback from them its a pretty aggravating situation. We paid for these things and on top of that having to barley get them working. trying to make the best out of a really bad situation but the LEAST they could do is actually respond to emails.

/rant mode off.

Agreed, as I've mentioned several times before, if AMT does not want to communicate via the forums, they should be talking to their customers directly via phone or email. And also provide "technical" support for products that have been purchased.
opieum2

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:39:43 PM

/rant mode on

/rant mode off.

Agreed, as I've mentioned several times before, if AMT does not want to communicate via the forums, they should be talking to their customers directly via phone or email. And also provide "technical" support for products that have been purchased.

Thats not even happening either. That is whats pissing me off more now. No wonder everyone is coming down at them. Hell I have had suggestions to start other investigations since they are not responding to anything any more. Its aggravating. They are making enemies of people who supported them. There is a certain amount of leeway one can give a company when they mess up but damn this is retarded. They need to start at least trying to get something to us. I am guessing though the lawsuit locked them down though. Who knows we have nothing from either side to tell us anything.

opieum2

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:02:55 PM

Hmm I just got an email from AMT....I got an invoice...balance paid in full and all that. Looks like they might be restructuring their records keeping process.....least to cover things. Wonder if the company has changed hands or something.

I would hope the next step is to get us all the working hardware we ordered for the invoiced amounts. OR if they are being forced into honoring the MPP that would be good too. At this point tho I am doubtful of any refund option or RMA. I just want working hardware I can hash with. I am stuck with what is a 500Ghs miner when I should have been hashing at 2.4Ths with my two miners. Quite a gap. Well hopefully the next email is that I am getting a product shipped for me if I got an invoice. (even though I got one already from them once before)

opieum2

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:06:23 PM

/rant mode on

/rant mode off.

Thats not even happening either. That is whats pissing me off more now. No wonder everyone is coming down at them. Hell I have had suggestions to start other investigations since they are not responding to anything any more. Its aggravating. They are making enemies of people who supported them. There is a certain amount of leeway one can give a company when they mess up but damn this is retarded. They need to start at least trying to get something to us. I am guessing though the lawsuit locked them down though. Who knows we have nothing from either side to tell us anything.

Josh is more concerned with going back and deleting every single one of my posts. Not sure why is he is intimidated by my postings, specifically - perhaps I've said a few things about him and his business practices that ring true.

This will probably be one of my last posts regarding anything AMT. There is simply nothing more to be said. Hopefully the lawyers will tear him a new asshole, and he will have a criminal record moving forward. I'd like to see him forced out of the bitcoin industry, though I'm sure he'll just reinvent himself and a new "start-up" like he has done many times in the past. At that time, he'll take some other poor suckers for a ride. This is unfortunate, but the reality of the situation.

You guys got a really bad deal and I feel for you. You ARE doing AMT's job, but it's really just to make the best of this bad hand you were dealt. I wouldn't freely share what you've learned with AMT, as they will just try to use it to profit off of future "buyers". You are basically reverse engineering their shitty design for them, and should keep those cards close to your chest. Afterall, what has AMT done for YOU lately?

Good luck everyone!

You aren't wrong. we are doing AMT's job. I'm not getting compensated for this. As it is I am considering doing a closed distribution of this to a few people. Maybe down the road when I have refined the software I will make a more general distribution of it. But for now I am content with a closed one to a few people on here who want something working (if the software fixes it)

ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:03:38 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 08:22:32 PM by ISAWHIM

Can always just solder a length of twisted-pair out to somewhere convenient outside the shroud from the chip cap.
A shot in the dark - is the flakely board one of the ones with the 10k resistors in place of caps? If so could be that the remaining caps are starting to fail from excessive ripple currents.

Buck inductor temps are something I've never been comfortable with for various reasons. They are actually rated to run pretty bloody hot with max ratings often 140C or more. At least they are one of the few things that heat does not really affect until insulation failure. If you can keep a finger on it without branding yourself then it's good. I'd worry more about the solder connections to them failing from temp cycling and the heat getting to nearby components.

Yea, those seem to be the largest source of heat, once the cards stop functioning. May be the coils insulation failing. Those too, it seems, are not real flush-mounted to the board. There are exposed heat-pads under them, on the heat-sink side. However, the varnish actually raises the heat-sink from direct contact to the metal at all. (Looks like the heat-sinks should be machined to match the pads, but they are not. They are essentially using the heat-sink compound to "fill the gap" between the exposed heat-pad and the heat-sink, which is not the function of thermal grease. Thermal grease is designed to fill the microscopic gaps, not gaps of zero-contact. Which is where heat-pads are designed to function.)

Might also be why the heat-sinks are not showing as being needed, and the smaller ones seem to be over-heated. There is just not enough actual thermal-transfer to the larger heat-sink directly. Due to that large gap. (0.01mm is a large gap to thermal transfer, when there is 0 direct metal-metal contact. Not sure how thick the varnish layer on the PCB is. I would use aluminum foil shims, but then I need two applications of thermal grease. xD Plus, the grease tends to corrode foil. The silver/tin on the metal plates is already corroded. That should have been gold.)

I may just rip off the heat-sink on this one, make a pencil rubbing of the back of the board, and transfer that pattern to the heat-sink. Then grind it down by hand, to match the pads, for direct contact. Though, thermal-pads would be much better than all this extended effort.

One unit has a full sheet of thermal-pad across the whole backing. Not sure how wise that is... the cold spots will act as risers, not allowing the thermal pad to compress. While the hot parts will have an air-gap as the heated material thins-out. Though it will stop any possible shorting of the through-holes rubbing against the expanding and contracting heat-sink. (Which is something I also fear may be happening to the mystery working/failing card.)

Card completely failed today at 1:30 PM... Knocked the whole machine down to 0 GHs... Same as the one that had previously shorted. So now I am back to 385GHs. 1/3 of 1.2THs. Sad (Still not sure why they sent me this. This is not what I asked for. They didn't ever reply back, about testing them, or send any testing information. So I assume they sent this as an attempt to fill my order. I got sort-of a mix of what I asked for, if a complete unit could not be sent, and what they were offering, but neither of any, but more and less. xD. I am so confused.)

This one was not missing any parts on it. All four of the CAPs and Resistors were where they should be, on each chip. There was also no screws-shorts on the cards.

Did notice another thing that bugs me a little, about the cards... The PCB sticks-out beyond the heat-sinks, by a fraction of a MM... This bugs me because the frame mounts firmly to the cards by the heat-sink, which has a metal-edge pressing hard against the PCB itself. This too stresses the PCB, and I am not 100% sure that the inner layers may or may not have any stray "copper traces" near the edges, which are in direct contact with the metal frame. Mostly, my concern is the compression of the PCB, as the aluminum expands and contracts from the heat. (This also being a concern due to the solid screw mounting which is firmly holding the non-expanding fiberglass PCB to the expanding aluminum heat-sink. Which is also being crushed between the mounting frame.)

Having the heat-sink in two separate halves would alleviate some of the expansion, if there was an adequate gap between them, and if the cards were not suspended by the heat-sink, through a firm mounting. However, that would require a complete redesign. The PCB would not sustain the stresses of the heavy heat-sink, in a setup like that.
opieum2

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:18:56 PM

Anyone else get the "invoice" email with the revised dates? Mine was stated at 4/29/2013 when in fact I was promised miners within 3-4 weeks from the original date, in the end I got my miners in early April BUT they don't work and have no confirmation or update on whether I am getting replacements or not. I was offered 2 replacement miners on the 10th, I accepted but have gotten no follow up.

On the hardware side....damn I had not even considered the heatsink as a source of the shorts.....Just an oversight since its such an obvious and needed piece of hardware....alternately, couldn't a small copper plate be inserted in between each chip? Sort of how CPU heatsinks function. Put a copper plate/shim in between the chips and the heatsink it would actually eliminate that particular problem. Both sides greased up to keep it held in somehow. maybe as a getto solution crazy glue the corners to keep it fixed and grease up both sides of the shim to insure contact with both. The copper thermal transfer would work in a pinch and would be a nice workaround to the shorting issues that MIGHT be caused by the heatsink...

Also sorry to hear your card died. This was the same issue I observed in almost every instance (one card was DOA and never worked). Most of the others did the same thing within minutes. The ones I have running now I figure are on borrowed time. The only working miner I have is an Antminer s2. Despite the shipping issues It works well. All parts are solid. AND well built. For ALOT less than the AMT miners were. The irony is the Antminer runs at 1.2 some of the time (usually 1056).

FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:28:46 PM

Anyone else get the "invoice" email with the revised dates? Mine was stated at 4/29/2013 when in fact I was promised miners within 3-4 weeks from the original date, in the end I got my miners in early April BUT they don't work and have no confirmation or update on whether I am getting replacements or not. I was offered 2 replacement miners on the 10th, I accepted but have gotten no follow up.

On the hardware side....damn I had not even considered the heatsink as a source of the shorts.....Just an oversight since its such an obvious and needed piece of hardware....alternately, couldn't a small copper plate be inserted in between each chip? Sort of how CPU heatsinks function. Put a copper plate/shim in between the chips and the heatsink it would actually eliminate that particular problem. Both sides greased up to keep it held in somehow. maybe as a getto solution crazy glue the corners to keep it fixed and grease up both sides of the shim to insure contact with both. The copper thermal transfer would work in a pinch and would be a nice workaround to the shorting issues that MIGHT be caused by the heatsink...

Also sorry to hear your card died. This was the same issue I observed in almost every instance (one card was DOA and never worked). Most of the others did the same thing within minutes. The ones I have running now I figure are on borrowed time. The only working miner I have is an Antminer s2. Despite the shipping issues It works well. All parts are solid. AND well built. For ALOT less than the AMT miners were. The irony is the Antminer runs at 1.2 some of the time (usually 1056).

Hmm...  coppers shims should give enough spacing between the heatsink and the PCB. 

Also agree with you that there indeed is a gap between the PCB and the heatsink and it is questionable weather the termal paste is enough to bridge that gap.   Coppers shims are easily available on eBay.   

Can you point to some correct sized heat sinks for the other side?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
mdiggy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:35:51 PM

Hmm I just got an email from AMT....I got an invoice...balance paid in full and all that. Looks like they might be restructuring their records keeping process.....least to cover things. Wonder if the company has changed hands or something.

I would hope the next step is to get us all the working hardware we ordered for the invoiced amounts. OR if they are being forced into honoring the MPP that would be good too. At this point tho I am doubtful of any refund option or RMA. I just want working hardware I can hash with. I am stuck with what is a 500Ghs miner when I should have been hashing at 2.4Ths with my two miners. Quite a gap. Well hopefully the next email is that I am getting a product shipped for me if I got an invoice. (even though I got one already from them once before)
I just got an invoice too...
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:44:38 PM

Yeah... very strange about that invoice.  Maybe these folks are so disorganized, they don't even know which customers they owe them money.   The invoice was created using QuickBooks, previous to that,  it is anybody's guess if they had a system to manage their orders.

Let's be honest,  they don't seem even to have a system to mass email their customers.   Has anyone ever received an email from AMT discussing delayed shipments?   

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
opieum2

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:52:10 PM

Yeah... very strange about that invoice.  Maybe these folks are so disorganized, they don't even know which customers they owe them money.   The invoice was created using QuickBooks, previous to that,  it is anybody's guess if they had a system to manage their orders.

Let's be honest,  they don't seem even to have a system to mass email their customers.   Has anyone ever received an email from AMT discussing delayed shipments?   

I have gotten emails, but usually not boilerplate style emails that would be a mass email. I think they were individually handling them.

ISAWHIM

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:56:12 PM

No invoice sent to me.

I would not advise using a copper-shim... or any shim, for the moment. (The screws would surely warp the boards, unless you had a similar shim washer on every screw-hole also. Though, that would also run the risk of poor contact, since the screws are so far away from the chips, and there is nothing besides the pressure of the PCB holding the thing against the heat-sink.)

Thermal transfer paste is not the same as thermal-transfer pads. The pads are heavily impregnated with a high thermal-transfer medium, and solid. The paste forms air-bubbles if it is thick, and thus, creates pockets of insulation, like Styrofoam. Shims, tend to react, if they are not the same metals. Thin shims, will react, and dissolve almost instantly. (Except gold-leaf-foil, which is too expensive to use as a shim, as you would need many grams.)

The best thing to use, would be the super-thin thermal-transfer pads, which are a specialty item to order. (Not the standard crap they give you for a CPU or RAM, which is too thick and has fiberglass mesh inside, normally. It will not "compress" without direct "above pressure", which these designs do not have at all. Thus, causing the PCB to warp, which may lift the SMT chips off the PCB, along with the traces themselves.)

Besides, mixing metals is the source of electrolytic corrosion. It creates a "battery", in essence, using the thermal paste and heat as the electrolytic medium. That is why gold-plate touching non-gold-plate is worse then using tinned-metal touching tinned-metal contacts. It is never real wise to use bi-metal components in direct contact with one another. (Especially where heat is applied, which speeds-up the chemical reaction.)

If you ever looked at a copper/aluminum heat-sink, where the copper touches the steel-case of the CPU-case, the copper turns black/green and is all corroded, looking like the moons cratered surface. Unlike Aluminum, which corrodes with a thin and hard patina that protects it. Yet, it is aluminum, so it reflects heat... It is sort of a catch-22. Copper absorbs reflected heat, transferring directly to the bonded aluminum, which then reflects the heat into the moisture in the air, causing the evaporation/humidity cooling that we call "air cooling", which has nothing to do with air at all. (Air is thermally inert, as it is essentially invisible to IR-radiation, which is why you feel IR-radiation from a candle nearly ten feet away, in a room devoid of moisture, but only 1 foot away in a room with normal humidity.)

AMT_miners (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:04:03 PM

We just want to say that we are watching and do appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting into this. Technical questions from a problem solving standpoint will be answered by us. Anything order related can't be dealt with on this public forum.

Tony, Jason, Richard, you are being very helpful, we highly appreciate it and it won't be forgotten.
AMT_miners (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:11:15 PM

/rant mode on

/rant mode off.

Redoing the website, integrating a forum for that purpose.
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:12:45 PM

We just want to say that we are watching and do appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting into this. Technical questions from a problem solving standpoint will be answered by us. Anything order related can't be dealt with on this public forum.

Tony, Jason, Richard, you are being very helpful, we highly appreciate it and it won't be forgotten.

Any comment about the potential short?

About the gap between the heatsink and the board?

What about the small heat sink on the other side?

Or the capacitors versus resistors?

Sigh!  Lots of lipservice no action.

Still waiting to RMA my unit back... never worked.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:13:47 PM

/rant mode on

/rant mode off.

Redoing the website, integrating a forum for that purpose.

Um....   there is something called 'email' that you can use to communicate to your customers.   

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
ISAWHIM

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:14:39 PM

I am still looking for one with the correct fin alignments...

That, or one larger one, like the one on the back... (well, not that large) Which can be cut-up to order, so the fins are oriented correctly.

However, they would still need to be mounted, have pressure applied, and be "ground/machined" so that they do not short any of the many components that are along the mounting-surface, around the small chip.

EG, the fins have to run the same way as the air-flow, but the heat-sinks have to be wide, not long. Wide, so they fill more of the air-flow for the width of the card. Because filling the length, just causes air-resistance that makes the air flow around the heat-sink, not through it. Sort of what is happening to the large heat-sink, without a guide to keep the air moving through the heat-sinks. It enters the fins, hits resistance, exits the top of the heat sink to the unrestricted gap between the cards, and flows right around the copper heat-sinks. There is very little air-flow passing through the fins, near the middle of the heat-sinks, due to this. Only on each of the ends.

The individual chips and inductors need one more like this... (but not this tall, just this proportion and alignment)

The one for the inductors has to have holes drilled to make room for the caps, and be shorter. One running the length of the inductors, would run into the same issue as the large heat-sink... the length would cause too much resistance to make it functional, without a guide to keep the air inside of the fins. The air would just flow around it, cooing down nothing, just making more air-noise and drawing more unused power blowing air around all the hot components.
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:16:49 PM

That, or one larger one, like the one on the back... (well, not that large) Which can be cut-up to order, so the fins are oriented correctly.

However, they would still need to be mounted, have pressure applied, and be "ground" so that they do not short any of the many components that are along the mounting-surface.

EG, the fins have to run the same way as the air-flow, but the heat-sinks have to be wide, not long. Wide, so they fill more of the air-flow for the width of the card. Because filling the length, just causes air-resistance that makes the air flow around the heat-sink, not through it. Sort of what is happening to the large heat-sink, without a guide to keep the air moving through the heat-sinks. It enters the fins, hits resistance, exits the top of the heat sink to the unrestricted gap between the cards, and flows right around the copper heat-sinks. There is very little air-flow passing through the fins, near the middle of the heat-sinks, due to this. Only on each of the ends.

The individual chips and inductors need one more like this... (but not this tall, just this proportion and alignment)

The one for the inductors has to have holes drilled to make room for the caps, and be shorter. One running the length of the inductors, would run into the same issue as the large heat-sink... the length would cause too much resistance to make it functional, without a guide to keep the air inside of the fins. The air would just flow around it, cooing down nothing, just making more air-noise and drawing more unused power blowing air around all the hot components.

For all the work you are doing to get the design right,  you might as well create your own PCB! 

BTW... what does the daughter board do?  Does it convert GPIO signals on the Pi to something compatible with SPI?  Does Pi support SPI?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
ISAWHIM

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:25:13 PM

Got my order on the way for my plexi-bending stuff... should be here by friday. I will get it setup, and make two cases. One for the full-size 5-card standard design, and one with the 3-card mini design.

Then I will throw everything back into the tower, and show the heat-shroud thing. (Just can't show it running, since I only have a PSU large enough to run 3 cards, and I am down to 2 running cards at the moment.)

Now I have to go to work... I will look for more sources for low-profile, multi-fin heat-sinks when I get back. (I am trying to stay away from the thick heat-sinks, as those just retain heat. You need lots of thin fins, for the greater surface area, to reflect the heat off the aluminum, and into the humidity in the air.)

Also looking for some sheets of thermal-transfer pads, that I can cut-up to match the plates on the PCB's. As opposed to solid shims.
AMT_miners (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:25:49 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 09:41:50 PM by AMT_miners

However, they would still need to be mounted, have pressure applied, and be "ground" so that they do not short any of the many components that are along the mounting-surface.

http://www.aavid.com/

Pricy, but fast.
You should have two types of boards.

1st with the 4 caps surrounding the chips.
2nd with the only 1 cap out of the 4 in that location.

- First board- this was the original design, provided by bitmine, which also called for a 12x 1500 cap where you'll see the 12x 560 cap there. The manufacturer ordered this component switch which differed from the bom.

- beneath the 560 caps you'll see another location 170 cap on the first board and 330 on the 2nd version with (1500 caps).

The ability to put a railed heatsink exists on the second version but could not exist on the first.
you - and anyone else working on this - list your question in a simple form which allows for an easy to follow response.

ie.  Which value should this component be - snap a pic or something. End post.

Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 160 »
  Print  

Jump to: