Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:05:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 [986] 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667230 times)
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 03:39:02 PM

• English
  • Japanese

Aren't Spanish and Portuguese already implemented too?
Adding them, thanks.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 03:43:23 PM

Monero's 1 year birthday is approaching on April 18, 2015. How do you guys want to celebrate?

Still waiting for 'magic' wallet with tears and bootle of cheap brandy.

Dude, this thing aint gonna be a wallet. Its gonna be an account portal. I remember hearing (fireside chat maybe?) or maybe reading about the concept that "wallet" kinda doesn't make sense. But indeed, you're really just accessing your account thats cryptographically stored in the blockchain.

And this account portal is gonna blow any conventional wallet away. It's gonna be like logging into your standard bank account online, except this account is now your monero account!

I'll celebrate Moneromass by acquiring additional Moneros equal to 1 BTC.  With the Grand 20MB Schism looming, anything could happen.  It's the last chance to get a few more cheap 1st year coins, especially if BTC's civil war gets bloody and is headline news.

"Account portal" is too wordy and nerdy.

Because it contains so many more remarkable things than a wallet, we're calling the new client a "purse."   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 04:01:25 PM

Monero's 1 year birthday is approaching on April 18, 2015. How do you guys want to celebrate?

Dude, this thing aint gonna be a wallet. Its gonna be an account portal. I remember hearing (fireside chat maybe?) or maybe reading about the concept that "wallet" kinda doesn't make sense. But indeed, you're really just accessing your account thats cryptographically stored in the blockchain.

And this account portal is gonna blow any conventional wallet away. It's gonna be like logging into your standard bank account online, except this account is now your monero account!

I'll celebrate Moneromass by acquiring additional Moneros equal to 1 BTC.  With the Grand 20MB Schism looming, anything could happen.  It's the last chance to get a few more cheap 1st year coins, especially if BTC's civil war gets bloody and is headline news.

Because it contains so many more remarkable things than a wallet, we're calling the new client a "purse."   Cool

I hope not. I've never seen a neat, clean, tidy, efficient purse. The only purses I've seen are bottomless pits of fuckit, because my wife just throws shit in there. That could just be my wife though.

Perhaps briefcase.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:07:51 PM

When Monero is really better than Darkcoin why is then Monero at 23 cent´s??
Marketing plus reuse of the Bitcoin architecture.

and the masternode demand. We should come up with something to artificially create demand for monero - "Now you have to hold 1000 XMR in order to get block rewards!!!"

but not really.

proof of stake nonsense.

moneros a long game.

We've got crypto kingdom for this, you can basicly earn XMR by "investing" your XMR into it -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=819073.0

EDIT: This is ofcourse not optimal, but we should think about getting some same incentives the DRK masternodes have. It's a great way to take supply off the market.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:18:19 PM

For me it will be buying more XMR and drinking a good Beer in celibration.  Also a toast to the Dev team for all the work that has to be done and future milestones that will happen.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:24:52 PM

When Monero is really better than Darkcoin why is then Monero at 23 cent´s??
Marketing plus reuse of the Bitcoin architecture.

and the masternode demand. We should come up with something to artificially create demand for monero - "Now you have to hold 1000 XMR in order to get block rewards!!!"

but not really.

proof of stake nonsense.

moneros a long game.

We've got crypto kingdom for this, you can basicly earn XMR by "investing" your XMR into it -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=819073.0

EDIT: This is ofcourse not optimal, but we should think about getting some same incentives the DRK masternodes have. It's a great way to take supply off the market.

the masternode incentive scheme is why evan did not change to ring signatures.
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:34:14 PM

I hope not. I've never seen a neat, clean, tidy, efficient purse. The only purses I've seen are bottomless pits of fuckit, because my wife just throws shit in there. That could just be my wife though.

Perhaps briefcase.

Handbag?  Wink Smiley

How about smart wallet, by analogy with smart phone?
Quicken

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:37:00 PM

For me it will be buying more XMR and drinking a good Beer in celibration.  Also a toast to the Dev team for all the work that has to be done and future milestones that will happen.

Sounds good. I'll join in a toast to the Dev's, and donate a chunk from my smart wallet if it's available by then.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 05:02:58 PM

Updated the list (ANN - MEW)

moneroeconomy.com is first (5 voices), xmrmonero.com and monero-economy.com are second (4 voices each)

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 05:10:07 PM

A VC about the price (of Bitcoin, but applies to Monero too if we manage to get VC on boards)

http://www.quora.com/Do-the-VC-investments-in-the-Bitcoin-space-indicate-that-VCs-are-bullish-on-Bitcoins-price-or-that-they-mainly-value-the-technology

"I offer a cliche as an answer to your question - Do you know who made the most money in the California Gold Rush? The people selling the shovels and the pans.

I can speak only for ourselves, but we take a long view on the technology and no view on the price."

Quicken

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 05:31:33 PM

Updated the list (ANN - MEW)

moneroeconomy.com is first (5 voices), xmrmonero.com and monero-economy.com are second (4 voices each)

monero-economy.com is first choice for me; unhyphenated second choice.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 06:09:53 PM

(snip)

Hrm, well it seems the best incentive for people to hoard cryptocurrencies is the ability to earn more cryptocurrency.... which is of course, artificial. This doesn't spawn anything outside of the currency's economy.

what sort of thing can we create where people want to privately store things of value with the ability to get a return on that store without losing those things or the ability to use those things whenever they want to......

The first that comes to mind is "hey, send me 1000 XMR and I'll just sit on it and send you 2 XMR a month and you can pull out whenever" and this is sort of like the bond that someone proposed weeks ago. Problem is, without multisig, this is a total trust thing.

However, we could use viewkeys - you create a second XMR account, deposit 1000 XMR there. YOu publish the viewkey, or enter the viewkey into a database. Some algorithm reads the database, reads the viewkey, checks the address, if the address holds greater than 1000 XMR, the algorithm sends 2 XMR to that address.

OH WAIT DID SOMEONE SAY DATABASE?

right. So, you create the new XMR account (bond account). From your personal account, you send a transaction to bond account, with the viewkey as the payment ID. So now the database (the monero blockchain) contains the address of the bond account and the viewkey (is the viewkey the same hexlength as a transaction ID? Are viewkeys different than transaction IDs? Would an algorithm be able to parse out a viewkey amidst a sea of transactions IDs?)

The Backer runs a BackerWallet software. This software scans the blockchain and identifies viewkeys, pops the account, measures amount of XMR, if > 1000 sends n XMR. Perhaps somehow the software can measure how long the XMRs been there (totally possible because the viewkey allows analysis of transactions from that account).

this possible?

incentive for Backer - create demand for holding XMR, so the rest of their holdings go up. Say a whale has 10,000k XMR. For 24 XMR, they could sure up 1,000 XMR for a year, so its like they have 11,000 XMR for the price of 10,024 XMR.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:43:00 PM

My only 0.02 XMR:

You seem to confuse yourself here (and you definitely confused me):

So, you create the new XMR account (bond account). From your personal account, you send a transaction to bond account, with the viewkey as the payment ID. So now the database (the monero blockchain) contains the address of the bond account and the viewkey (is the viewkey the same hexlength as a transaction ID? Are viewkeys different than transaction IDs? Would an algorithm be able to parse out a viewkey amidst a sea of transactions IDs?)

So now the database (the monero blockchain) contains the address of the bond account..
It does? I have yet to see an address in the Monero blockchain. Pardon me, but I was under the impression that that's what makes an opaque blockchain an opaque blockchain.

I think you mean Payment ID when you typed Transaction ID, or did you? Transaction hash is the correct nomenclature.

Are viewkeys different than transaction IDs?
You must know that they are different. How could they possibly be the same?

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 06:53:32 PM

My only 0.02 XMR:

You seem to confuse yourself here (and you definitely confused me):

So, you create the new XMR account (bond account). From your personal account, you send a transaction to bond account, with the viewkey as the payment ID. So now the database (the monero blockchain) contains the address of the bond account and the viewkey (is the viewkey the same hexlength as a transaction ID? Are viewkeys different than transaction IDs? Would an algorithm be able to parse out a viewkey amidst a sea of transactions IDs?)

So now the database (the monero blockchain) contains the address of the bond account..
It does? I have yet to see an address in the Monero blockchain. Pardon me, but I was under the impression that that's what makes an opaque blockchain an opaque blockchain.

Right. But if you use a viewkey, you can see addresses? I guess I haven't gotten my head around viewkeys (i've never used one)

I think you mean Payment ID when you typed Transaction ID, or did you? Transaction hash is the correct nomenclature.
Word. Transaction hash. Thanks!!! But yesh, I'm referring to payment ID - the thing you include in a transaction in case you want someone to be able to single out a transaction.
Are viewkeys different than transaction IDs?
You must know that they are different. How could they possibly be the same?
Yes, they are different, but I mean in their architecture / composition - as in, does a payment ID have a specific nature compared to a viewkey. So if I sent someone my viewkey as a payment ID, could an algorithm search the blockchain and find a viewkey amongst the payment IDs?

5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 08:20:30 PM

You ask valid questions.

I hope a Monguru  Cool can answer them.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:17:27 PM

Yes, they are different, but I mean in their architecture / composition - as in, does a payment ID have a specific nature compared to a viewkey. So if I sent someone my viewkey as a payment ID, could an algorithm search the blockchain and find a viewkey amongst the payment IDs?

I'm pretty sure that if you expose your viewkey for a Monero address/account, then in theory anyone can see all transactions associated with that address/account. As has been said many times, the tooling for this doesn't exist in simplewallet yet, but from what I understand by exposing your viewkey you are essentially making a public account.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:24:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you expose your viewkey for a Monero address/account, then in theory anyone can see all transactions associated with that address/account. As has been said many times, the tooling for this doesn't exist in simplewallet yet, but from what I understand by exposing your viewkey you are essentially making a public account.

Link to Fluffy's explanation on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2tea5t/a_reminder_to_those_who_dont_want_a_bitcoin_that/cnygl3q

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:29:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you expose your viewkey for a Monero address/account, then in theory anyone can see all transactions associated with that address/account

Right, but thats the point if one were to create this bond / certificate of deposit device.

You create a bond / CD by plopping a certain amount of monero into a new address. People then reward you for keeping it in there over time, and they validate that its in there by using the viewkey.

where the hell is the dude that proposed the bond measure in the first place?

(edited twice because I can't use "there/their" correctly)

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:42:26 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you expose your viewkey for a Monero address/account, then in theory anyone can see all transactions associated with that address/account

Right, but thats the point if one were to create this bond / certificate of deposit device.

You create a bond / CD by plopping a certain amount of monero into a new address. People then reward you for keeping it in there over time, and they validate that its in there by using the viewkey.

There is here with a t, both are places

Their is heir with a t, both show ownership (though one is future ownership in most cases).

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:52:17 PM

aminorex proposed the bond, but i think there was not enough XMR pledged to make it worthwhile for him.

Until then, you can be your own "Monero Masternode" by buying and holding.  Cheesy

In other news, I noticed the Monero subreddit just gained about ~150 new subscribers in the past few days. It has been stagnant around 700 for months. Perhaps some new users are noticing the great potential of Monero.

Pages: « 1 ... 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 [986] 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: