Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:56:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667216 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 12:35:14 AM

Monero doesn't "halve", every single block has less monero than the previous block.

There is still a point when half the base supply has been created and the block subsidy is half the original value. It's similar in effect to the bitcoin halving in many ways except not being so abrupt.

but these are not events, miners get to price this in along the way every block

if the antiquated bitcoin-core code didn't have this in it, nobody here would be talking about halvings. This is much more advanced cryptonote protocol and there are no halvings. If this was debuted first, nobody would be talking about halvings

"Halving" is an idea from Bitcon which we have metaphorically imported into Monero, referring to the day in Sept when half the XMR coinbase has been emitted.  It's more psychological than strictly algorithmic.  So lighten up Francis.

Miners may price it in, as can markets.  But 'no more cheap coins' is still a great excuse for a party!   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:53:28 AM

can everyone with buy orders in the .0010 range move your bid orders up a bit higher, I'm trying to form a syndicate bid with a bigger buy wall closer to the International Best Bid Best Offer

I can take out the order at .0017 if someone else fills the order at .00161 , judging conviction before I start filling heavily. I can take out the higher ask because this is still below my cost basis.
Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:24:00 AM

why attack now the 0.0017?
protect xmr against unexpected price declines is already a great task.

jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:43:01 AM

If there's ongoing discussion of how people are teaming up to manipulate the price in the main discussion thread, people won't think highly of this coin.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:13:04 AM

If there's ongoing discussion of how people are teaming up to manipulate the price in the main discussion thread, people won't think highly of this coin.

being loaded to the hilt with XMR I obviously don't mind higher prices but I very much agree with you here.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:20:27 AM

It is called openness. It is very precious(expensive), and hopefully appreciated by the "people".

I will start buying 24 hours from my announcement to do so, but the price is already up 20% and 24 hours have not even passed yet  Undecided

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:33:27 AM

It is called openness. It is very precious(expensive), and hopefully appreciated by the "people".

I will start buying 24 hours from my announcement to do so, but the price is already up 20% and 24 hours have not even passed yet  Undecided

this should answer this:

The announcement is important, because it adds to my glory as a person who can predict market movements, and starts a playful competition about how long the sellers can keep the price down.

not sure why you put people in hyphons. i do appreciate it though - its a welcome difference to all the pumps behind close doors and tastes honest Wink

next weeks / months will get interesting

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
monero (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 134

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:44:51 AM

Missive for 2015-02-23 is out.

Missive Blog Post

Discussion Thread on the Official Forum

Cross-posted below:

We are moving to a new Missive format, it is now in the form of a podcast!

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3, or use the HTML5 player on the blog post.

Community members are encouraged to transcribe it so that non-English speakers can benefit as well. A brief summary of the points discussed is:

1. The release of the new website, and the move to the getmonero.org domain

2. The publication of MRL-0004, Improving Obfuscation in the CryptoNote Protocol

3. Monero's design and development goals

Dev Diaries and External Projects will resume being covered from next week. Until then!

updated by fluffypony
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:00:30 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 12:15:37 PM by jehst

Nice new missives.

Cliffnotes:

- NEW WEBSITE! www.getmonero.org (monero.cc redirects to it)

- MRL-0004 (Improving Obfuscation in the Cryptonote Protocol) (http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf):
Mixins: low-mixins can result in a cascading reduction in privacy. XMR will be moving very soon to a minimum mixin of 2. the reason mixin-0 is allowed in the first place is because mixin-0 is useful for sending dust. the solution in MRL-0004 is for mixin-0  to be allowed under special circumstances. these circumstances include a) when the transaction is dust, and b) when the transaction won't create new dust. thus, these specially-allowed transactions will gradually remove dust from the system. eventually the minimum mixin will be mixin-4. increasing the minimum mixin is considered critical in improving cryptonote.

temporal-association: in XMR, there's an age-based association problem where observers can tell how old coins are when they're spent due to the way that outputs are chosen for mixing. ideally, it should not be easy to do this. people might panic if very old coins are moving, as would be the case if satoshi started moving coins from 2009. this is not critical but being worked on as well.

- design and research goals: http://getmonero.org/design-goals/
not a timeline, but it shows what must come before what.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 12:07:33 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2015, 02:53:27 PM by David Latapie

That, and people will pick their own favorite wallet anyway. Bitcoin has Electrum, Multibit, blockchain.info, etc. We have Lightwallet, .NET wallet, MyMonero, and maybe some others I'm forgetting.
Qt GUI.

Wallet             Official       Graphical                       Binaries                   Notes
                                                Windows       Mac       Linux    FreeBSD
simplewallet                                   (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)    source
Monero Client .NET                             (d/l)                                  full node or remote node
Qt GUI                                                                                source. Full node only
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Full node or remote node. Torrent with binaries + blockchain
mymonero.com                                                                          author is a core dev
CryptoNoteWallet                                                            

So, let this be the official announcement that the price of monero will now start rising.
I understand "official" here as a figure of speech because:
  • Monero Core Team did not decide on making this official
  • No MEW vote had been proposed on this matter
  • I do not see any other Monero body that could emit such a statement

I'm sure trollers will delight to reuse this announcement. The core team and the community as a whole pride itself in not succumbing to the price drama - I'd like it to continue that way.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:12:11 PM

Wallet            Official        Graphical                          Binaries                Notes
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Remote node only

lightWallet can work with a full node. In fact it is distributed together with the node and blockchain bootstrap as a convenient single-download torrent
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:22:34 PM

In my opinion taking out sell orders (read buying) isn't really price manipulation.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 12:25:43 PM

lightWallet can work with a full node. In fact it is distributed together with the node and blockchain bootstrap as a convenient single-download torrent
Updated, thanks. What is in the torrent? Source only, Windows binaries, other binaries, all binaries + sources, other?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:28:01 PM

Updated, thanks. What is in the torrent? Source only, Windows binaries, other binaries, all binaries + sources, other?

Windows binaries. There are currently no other binaries for lightWallet, although it is a python program so it could likely be packaged for other platforms if someone does the work.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 12:50:09 PM

Guys, excellent missive and excellent website! Well done!

I liked very much the podcast style!
I also liked that you asked from the community to help in tasks. This should be continued in the missives. Asking about things that need to be done.
Finally its nice to see explaining crypto stuff and how actually things works with monero, problems and solutions.

I should continue checking the new website Cheesy

P.S. Fluffy, i make a complaint about the website and 1 week afterwards that a beautiful website pops out?  <3   

coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:52:03 PM

Missive for 2015-02-23 is out.

Missive Blog Post

Discussion Thread on the Official Forum

Cross-posted below:

We are moving to a new Missive format, it is now in the form of a podcast!

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3, or use the HTML5 player on the blog post.

Community members are encouraged to transcribe it so that non-English speakers can benefit as well. A brief summary of the points discussed is:

1. The release of the new website, and the move to the getmonero.org domain

2. The publication of MRL-0004, Improving Obfuscation in the CryptoNote Protocol

3. Monero's design and development goals

Dev Diaries and External Projects will resume being covered from next week. Until then!

updated by fluffypony

Great. I love this new format. I can continue to work, while listening to the Missive. Thank you for this. +1000

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 01:01:04 PM

Great. I love this new format. I can continue to work, while listening to the Missive. Thank you for this. +1000

Yes, but now you can't read it when your on the crapper. Unless your taking headphones into the stall. Which is just weird. Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:02:36 PM

Very good stuff from the core team. +1  Smiley

So, let this be the official announcement that the price of monero will now start rising.
I understand "official" here as a figure of speech because:
  • Monero Core Team did not decide on making this official
  • No MEW vote had been proposed on this matter
  • I do not see any other Monero body that could emit such a statement

I'm sure trollers will delight to reuse this announcement. The core team and the community as a whole pride itself in not succumbing to the price drama - I'd like it to continue that way.

Okay, first:
- I had no explicit knowledge of the massive release you were about to make the hours following my statement.
Second:
- The MEW (where both you and I are officials), is not working on the paradigm of voting. We have had very few votes or control of any kind, yet have been able to accomplish a lot on the paradigm of empowerment. I don't even know how much, and none of it has required my approval to get it going. I do take pride of developing the structure that allows things to happen without my approval, because the structure was my design. In CK we are struggling with this issue still..

If I have the resources to make XMR price go up, and the intention to (commit actions that will lead to) do so, I can officially make any announcement I feel right. Until now I haven't even taken advantage of low price myself, due to a self-imposed 24 hour delay from the announcement to action.

The trolls are accusing me of manipulating the price, and they are absolutely correct. I am one of the approximately 1 million people on the planet who have enough funds to (currently) do it (and unless others of the same caliber actively step in). There is no denying this fact. The least I can do before starting to buy en masse due to these wonderful new developments, and before allocating my carte blanche wealth management clients' funds to it, and promote it to the larger circles that I advice concerning wealth management, and before reactivating my gold/silver/BTC/XMR/fiat dealership enabling XMR to be bought with fiat, etc. is to announce all of it beforehand.

At face value, it looks like I am massively shooting at my own foot here, after all my stash has been bought many times higher than the price now, and buying more just became almost impossible with the supply drying up. But I have the understanding that the value of the currency is in the network of people who use it, and right now is the time to start getting back those people who were burning for Monero last summer but have since sold due to the depressing market and development taking time. The longer we wait until revaluation, the more violent it will be and again people will get burned. Abrupt and spectacular surges always happen with the coins, let's see if we can avoid it this time.

Everybody is invited to prove me wrong in the field. To fire a bullet, enter any amount in the box and click SELL. That'll teach me  Cheesy  I also have a kitty of customer funds for buying OTC, contact me.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:19:51 PM

Wallet            Official        Graphical                          Binaries                Notes
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Remote node only

There is also CryptoNoteWallet by Bitkoot:
https://github.com/BitKoot/CryptoNoteWallet
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 6372

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:25:15 PM

If I have the resources to make XMR price go up, and the intention to (commit actions that will lead to) do so, I can officially make any announcement I feel right. Until now I haven't even taken advantage of low price myself, due to a self-imposed 24 hour delay from the announcement to action.

To the moon!

You could have waited a couple more days to get the payment for the sig campaign and double my XMR "stash". *sigh*
However, if this will indeed go to the moon, then ... let's do it!

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Pages: « 1 ... 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: