Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:47:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667378 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:07:19 PM

We need to really chalk out a funding plan. Donations are not going to keep the ship sailing

Funny, I just posted this.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg10702454#msg10702454

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 04:29:04 PM

We need to really chalk out a funding plan. Donations are not going to keep the ship sailing

define: "funding" . Funds are usually used to pay people to do things. Why does monero need to pay people to do things? Because there is a lot to do? And paying people to do things get them to focus? IMO, monero is more organic than that, but thats a different topic.

But what is there to do?

All outlined here: https://getmonero.org/design-goals/

Now, can you do any of these things? If the answer is yes, then great - you probably already know how to use github and you can go code stuff.

If the answer is no, then one could immediately jump to the conclusion that you must increase funding in order to create incentive for those that can code to go make awesome happen in github.

However, if you believe that time=money and money=time, then you can conclude that "funding" can also occur in the form of "time".

Thus, if you are not a programmer and can't contribute to core development, then one can "fund" monero by doing stuff for core devs that they would have to do if no one else does it, thus taking time away from core development.

Case in point:

https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/user-guides/

currently blank. How does one fill it?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/tree/master/knowledge-base/user-guides

thats the github site for the getmonero.org website, so you can directly make stuff to fill the blank pages.

Also, case in point, we still have yet to find a way to transcribe the monero missives in a timely manner. Because no one stepped up to do it, some of the core-dev team used their time to start transcribing the one last week. This is time that could have spent staring at the crazy cryptonote codebase with pals json and rpi and ipc and whatever.

So literally, you could "fund" monero simply by listening to the podcasts and writing down what you hear.

I started a github for that here:

https://github.com/Gingeropolous/MoneroMissiveTranscribe

So yes - one route to increase the amount of resources available for core development is to increase funding. But in the absence of the capital to do so, another route is to increase the amount of time available for core development by offloading non-core activities.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 05:15:34 PM

Two broader thoughts that have come up in discussions elsewhere.

1.) Luke-Jr stated the other day that he foresees ring signature functionality being implemented into Bitcoin in 2-3 years. My response was that even if that actually happens, it wouldn't have a mandatory mix-in level, limiting the anonymity capabilities that Bitcoin could offer with it. However, I've heard others state that you actually wouldn't need a mandatory mix-in level for it to impart "good enough" anonymity for it to kill interest in anything else. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it does sound like something that could steal some remaining thunder from the anonymity-niche coins, given that Bitcoin already has a huge market share.

2.) I've had discussions recently with Bitcoin maximalists who claim that anything built on an altchain cannot succeed, because Bitcoin's blockchain will remain by far the longest chain, and any other altcoin based on a PoW altchain that *ever* begins to compete with Bitcoin for market share will cause interested parties to attack it with the magnitudes of greater resources that are behind the Bitcoin network. My thought on this was that given that Monero uses a different hashing algorithm than Bitcoin, the resources behind Bitcoin couldn't be redirected at Monero in any direct sense (especially if the predominant resources behind Bitcoin are ASICs). Now, that isn't to say that there couldn't *still* be enough incentive involved, if Monero ever became more popular, for Bitcoin supporters to attack Monero by devoting fresh resources/energy to attack it. Thoughts?

1) Isn't going to happen for a long list of reasons. That's precisely why the topic of sidechains arouse with some xbt members.

2) Possible, but I doubt it, especially when investing into Monero itself is an "easier" way of ensuring you win no matter what.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

Two broader thoughts that have come up in discussions elsewhere.

1.) Luke-Jr stated the other day that he foresees ring signature functionality being implemented into Bitcoin in 2-3 years. My response was that even if that actually happens, it wouldn't have a mandatory mix-in level, limiting the anonymity capabilities that Bitcoin could offer with it. However, I've heard others state that you actually wouldn't need a mandatory mix-in level for it to impart "good enough" anonymity for it to kill interest in anything else. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it does sound like something that could steal some remaining thunder from the anonymity-niche coins, given that Bitcoin already has a huge market share.
2-3 years is optimistic for a blockchain that's been bickering over the size of blocks for years now. And yes, you do need minimum mixin levels to make the system secure, although there are ways of doing that within a Bitcoin softfork. However, this presents the problem of money going from non-anonymous addresses to anonymous addresses, which makes blacklisting/censorship really easy (CoinBase can see your output entered into a ring signature output and ban you). Blacklisting in Monero will be impossible.

This is exactly why gmaxwell and andytoshi proposed their Bitcoin sidechain, which uses BRS (Bytecoin Ring Signatures), much like Monero, but using Bitcoin. However, it's likely that the majority of Monero will already be distributed by the time this is released (if ever), and at that point channels to and from Bitcoin, along with much better liquidity, should already exist.

2.) I've had discussions recently with Bitcoin maximalists who claim that anything built on an altchain cannot succeed, because Bitcoin's blockchain will remain by far the longest chain, and any other altcoin based on a PoW altchain that *ever* begins to compete with Bitcoin for market share will cause interested parties to attack it with the magnitudes of greater resources that are behind the Bitcoin network. My thought on this was that given that Monero uses a different hashing algorithm than Bitcoin, the resources behind Bitcoin couldn't be redirected at Monero in any direct sense (especially if the predominant resources behind Bitcoin are ASICs). Now, that isn't to say that there couldn't *still* be enough incentive involved, if Monero ever became more popular, for Bitcoin supporters to attack Monero by devoting fresh resources/energy to attack it. Thoughts?
The Bitcoin shills are always going to say that nothing will be better than Bitcoin, because all their money is in Bitcoin.

Monero is different. Monero is digital cash, whereas Bitcoin is a hybrid equity-wiring service. Bitcoin has a fixed distribution amount and transparency amongst investors. Conversely, Monero inflationary, like real cash, with a small distribution period of approximately five years as basically an "ICO". It can be spent with privacy, like real cash. They're different entities, with a different promise.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:33:24 PM

Sorry for newbie question: Moneroj is the (official?) plural for the term Monero, right?

So Moneroj is the term/word, we should(?) use to mean/describe multiple XMR coins?

Is there an alternative? Maybe Moneros?

I think marketing and explaining Moneroj, will turn out rather difficult. The general public is not used to build plurals with a J (Esperanto-style.)
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:33:27 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 08:44:58 PM by nachoig

Sorry for newbie question: Moneroj is the (official?) plural for the term Monero, right?

So Moneroj is the term/word, we should(?) use to mean/describe multiple XMR coins?

I think marketing and explaining Moneroj, will turn out rather difficult. The general public is not used to build plurals with a J (Esperanto-style.)

Monero is the currency. If you are referring to the currency, the first letter is capitalized. In the plural form, you call it moneroj. You can use moneros if you want. However, in Esperanto's ortographic rules says you should add a "j" in the plural formal, instead of a "s". Personally I prefer to use "moneroj".

This is an interesting case which shows the difference between a planified language and a non-planified language. But the name Monero is great because is more neutral, it removes the Englishism of the coins' names.

PS: looking from this perspective, the address of the new website looks bad.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:35:07 PM

Conversely, Monero inflationary, like real cash, with a small distribution period of approximately five years as basically an "ICO". It can be spent with privacy, like real cash. They're different entities, with a different promise.

This part isn't much different from Bitcoin. Roughly 90% of the base supply will be distributed in 5 years. Roughly 90% of Bitcoin's supply will be distributed in about 13 years. Both are relatively short periods of time for a currency, especially with Bitcoin being 6 years in at this point already.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:46:20 AM

Monero is the currency. If you are referring to the currency, the first letter is capitalized. In the plural form, you call it moneroj. You can use moneros if you want. However, in Esperanto's ortographic rules says you should add a "j" in the plural formal, instead of a "s". Personally I prefer to use "moneroj".

This is an interesting case which shows the difference between a planified language and a non-planified language. But the name Monero is great because is more neutral, it removes the Englishism of the coins' names.

Hmm, I often use "Moneroj" to sort of pay homage to Monero's roots(Being an Esperanto word), plus it looks kinda cool/different.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 08:06:36 AM

We're open to transitioning to something else in future, but you could argue that we will never get away from "Englishisms" on a domain basis. The .com / .net / .org TLDs are all based on English words (company, network, organisation). Even worse - I've been accused by an American of being deceptive by having a South African company own a .com (even though we do business all over the world), because he reckoned that only American companies should own .com TLDs, so weird perceptions definitely exist:)

Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:41:38 AM

define: "funding" . Funds are usually used to pay people to do things. Why does monero need to pay people to do things? Because there is a lot to do? And paying people to do things get them to focus? IMO, monero is more organic than that, but thats a different topic.

But what is there to do?

All outlined here: https://getmonero.org/design-goals/

Now, can you do any of these things? If the answer is yes, then great - you probably already know how to use github and you can go code stuff.

If the answer is no, then one could immediately jump to the conclusion that you must increase funding in order to create incentive for those that can code to go make awesome happen in github.

However, if you believe that time=money and money=time, then you can conclude that "funding" can also occur in the form of "time".

Thus, if you are not a programmer and can't contribute to core development, then one can "fund" monero by doing stuff for core devs that they would have to do if no one else does it, thus taking time away from core development.

Case in point:

https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/user-guides/

currently blank. How does one fill it?

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/tree/master/knowledge-base/user-guides

thats the github site for the getmonero.org website, so you can directly make stuff to fill the blank pages.

Also, case in point, we still have yet to find a way to transcribe the monero missives in a timely manner. Because no one stepped up to do it, some of the core-dev team used their time to start transcribing the one last week. This is time that could have spent staring at the crazy cryptonote codebase with pals json and rpi and ipc and whatever.

So literally, you could "fund" monero simply by listening to the podcasts and writing down what you hear.

I started a github for that here:

https://github.com/Gingeropolous/MoneroMissiveTranscribe

So yes - one route to increase the amount of resources available for core development is to increase funding. But in the absence of the capital to do so, another route is to increase the amount of time available for core development by offloading non-core activities.

+100, well said Ginger!

Something along these lines would make a great addition to getmonero.org as well, maybe add a page "How can I contribute to Monero" and outline the different possibilities.

So far I was only able to do lowly footsoldier stuff like creating seed lists in different languages but I am working on acquiring the necessary skills to do more.
My motivation is obviously fueled by my desire to see Monero succeed but it also is an incentive to learn something new.

So don't go and say "this is too hard for me"...dive into it headlong and emerge with new skills!

Smiley

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:18:44 AM

XMR should be at LiteBit.eu (https://www.litebit.eu/), they sell altcoins for FIAT currency (USD, Euro, Pounds).
It's a legal and registered company in the Netherlands.

Two or three people should contact them today (contact field & email) ask friendly. And then we see what they respond and how we can work on this.
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 10:45:37 AM

XMR should be at LiteBit.eu (https://www.litebit.eu/), they sell altcoins for FIAT currency (USD, Euro, Pounds).
It's a legal and registered company in the Netherlands.

Two or three people should contact them today (contact field & email) ask friendly. And then we see what they respond and how we can work on this.

I wrote them a little piece, thanks for the information.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 11:04:38 AM

Can/should "threshold" signatures be implemented in Monero? (See http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ycfh4/threshold_signatures_for_bitcoin_wallets_are/)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 11:08:38 AM

Can/should "threshold" signatures be implemented in Monero? (See http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ycfh4/threshold_signatures_for_bitcoin_wallets_are/)

Yes that's exactly what has been mentioned by tacotime a few times, most recently here:

(7) An implicit, silent multisig implementation centered around Schnorr signatures is being researched and developed (thanks andytoshi/gmaxwell).
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 11:22:42 AM

Yes that's exactly what has been mentioned by tacotime a few times, most recently here:

(7) An implicit, silent multisig implementation centered around Schnorr signatures is being researched and developed (thanks andytoshi/gmaxwell).

It's great to see the XMR devs working at the cutting edge of crypto-currency engineering.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 11:31:33 AM

It's great to see the XMR devs working at the cutting edge of crypto-currency engineering.

To be fair the real work is credited above but we are certainly interested in it and following it.
coomme

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:59:55 PM

hi

how to upgrade my wallet from Version 0.8.8.1 to Version 0.8.8.6 ??

now, when I open 0.8.8.6 simplewallet, its auto closed....
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:03:46 PM

hi

how to upgrade my wallet from Version 0.8.8.1 to Version 0.8.8.6 ??

now, when I open 0.8.8.6 simplewallet, its auto closed....

I think that you also have to update the daemon.
After running the latest bitmonerod.exe you should be fine.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:44:54 PM

+100, well said Ginger!

Something along these lines would make a great addition to getmonero.org as well, maybe add a page "How can I contribute to Monero" and outline the different possibilities.

So far I was only able to do lowly footsoldier stuff like creating seed lists in different languages but I am working on acquiring the necessary skills to do more.
My motivation is obviously fueled by my desire to see Monero succeed but it also is an incentive to learn something new.

So don't go and say "this is too hard for me"...dive into it headlong and emerge with new skills!

Smiley

Great post and attitude.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 03:47:53 PM

Can someone explain Tether USD to me? I see it on POLO now so I'm wondering if it's easier/safer/faster for buying xmr with fiat?

Waiting 4 days for coinbase and then transferring to polo then buying is just a real pita.

Any other alternatives without buying private with escrow?

Looking for the easiest fastest and of course safe way to buy. What are you guys using now?

Coinbase is in big brothers pocket now.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 ... 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: