Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:47:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667228 times)
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 09:25:30 PM

I edited and asked you in the other thread but you may not saw that. Did you recompiled cpuminer today? Cause it has many changes from yesterday.
Quick recompiling:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential automake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config && cd ~/monero && rm -rf cpuminer && mkdir cpuminer && cd cpuminer && git clone http://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi.git && pushd cpuminer-multi && ./autogen.sh && export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" && ./configure && make && unset CFLAGS && popd

I know there is a faster way to recompile from github, but I don't know it

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 09:29:24 PM

I edited and asked you in the other thread but you may not saw that. Did you recompiled cpuminer today? Cause it has many changes from yesterday.
Quick recompiling:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential automake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config && cd ~/monero && rm -rf cpuminer && mkdir cpuminer && cd cpuminer && git clone http://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi.git && pushd cpuminer-multi && ./autogen.sh && export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native" && ./configure && make && unset CFLAGS && popd

i learned today thanks to IRC Smiley

cd cpuminer-multi

git fetch

git pull

./autogen.sh

./configure CFLAGS="-O3"

make

and its ready Smiley
carloss

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:30:53 PM

Is there any working combination of a pool and a multi-threaded miner on linux?

I am trying to use LucasJones/cpuminer-multi.

With moneropool.org or extremepool, it does not work at all. Sometimes it works for a while, sometimes I get rejects (booos) only (for long period). When I get booos, it reports share diff=0...

With moneropool.com it seems to work and there are no rejects. But something is wrong with share diff adjustments, as I get less and less found shares and the hashrate reported on the pool keeps decreasing.

Replied there. Yes, I have fresh version.

The second issue (moneropool.com diff retargeting) seems to be related to this issue in the pool code:
https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool/issues/5
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:38:45 PM

Quick recompiling:

change make to make -j number of threads on your computer

That will go much faster.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:58:59 PM

Quick recompiling:

change make to make -j number of threads on your computer

That will go much faster.

am I really seeing this? it made almost 2x faster (by the pool) or maybe I had made a previous mistake  Shocked

What I posted doesn't make the miner any faster, just compiling it.

The cpuminer guy has been incorporating multiple optimizations (some from NoodleDoodle, some of his own) so it isn't surprising that his miner is getting faster too.
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:59:33 PM

Mining Monero is like waiting for a bus. None for ages, then along come three! Go extremepool.org Smiley
DLow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:13:35 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 10:23:46 PM by DLow

Mining Monero is like waiting for a bus. None for ages, then along come three! Go extremepool.org Smiley

yeah, it's really something different than scrypt pool mining.

i went the route and bought some, now to figure out how to withdraw and stuff..

edit: does anyone have experience with cryptonote.exchange.to? why does it say my withdrawl is pending approval?
polecrab

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:25:45 PM

Regarding the first question, are you sure you are using the updated simpleminer.exe? Also, is your single core hyperthreaded? If so, you could run two instances of simpleminer.
I'm pretty sure I am on the latest binaries, but I have not tried running a second instance of the miner. My CPU usage is already 99% with the single instance. Am I really going to get more hashing with another instance?

Thanks for your input.

If your already at 99% then no, you wont get more.
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 10:30:01 PM

edit: does anyone have experience with cryptonote.exchange.to? why does it say my withdrawl is pending approval?
Withdraws are manual - at least one time per 24 hours and probably 2-3 times per 24 hours. 

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
DLow

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:25:36 PM

Regarding the first question, are you sure you are using the updated simpleminer.exe? Also, is your single core hyperthreaded? If so, you could run two instances of simpleminer.
I'm pretty sure I am on the latest binaries, but I have not tried running a second instance of the miner. My CPU usage is already 99% with the single instance. Am I really going to get more hashing with another instance?

Thanks for your input.

I need 2 threads per core to get to 100%.
DLow

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:27:33 PM

Withdraws are manual - at least one time per 24 hours and probably 2-3 times per 24 hours. 

hey, thanks. i contacted support and they said the same. minutes later it got executed.

all i need now is the transaction id to see if it actually arrived in my wallet.

i'm mining at the same time and "refresh" showed 2 seperate ids. i guess one from the pool and one from the exchange.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 11:42:19 PM

99% is for one thread!

With bitmonerod or simpleminer, my computer is at 798% (because I have 8 threads). CPUminer is much better, I have "only" 323%. In both case 100% is not the max.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
parker928

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:54:32 PM

hey guys

I finally manned up and decided to try the command line style wallet instead of waiting for the gui

i am having trouble syncing though. The blockchain i downloaded was from today, posted by a gentlemen a few posts back, it was like 143 mb. My machine is telling me it is a VLC media file? I tried renaming it blockchain.bin but the machine still is saying it is a vlc media file.

I tried putting it in the roaming folder and the folder where the simplewallet is at but neither of that seemed to work.

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what a "daemon" is or what it does? How is that different from the wallet? Do you have to have the daemon and the wallet both open in separate command line boxes in order to send coins?

Thanks for the help, can't wait till the gui wallet is avaliable...toring coins on the exchange for now because I am afraid of messing up and losing my coins

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:57:45 PM

hey guys

I finally manned up and decided to try the command line style wallet instead of waiting for the gui

i am having trouble syncing though. The blockchain i downloaded was from today, posted by a gentlemen a few posts back, it was like 143 mb. My machine is telling me it is a VLC media file? I tried renaming it blockchain.bin but the machine still is saying it is a vlc media file.

I tried putting it in the roaming folder and the folder where the simplewallet is at but neither of that seemed to work.

Also, would someone mind explaining to me what a "daemon" is or what it does? How is that different from the wallet? Do you have to have the daemon and the wallet both open in separate command line boxes in order to send coins?

Thanks for the help, can't wait till the gui wallet is avaliable...toring coins on the exchange for now because I am afraid of messing up and losing my coins

If you cant get the blockchain download to work, just start the daemon without it and wait several hours for it to sync. It will still work, the blockchain download is just a short cut.

The daemon is the core of the program. You run it in the background (another window) and then the wallet is another program you use, which connects to the daemon to function. In bitcoind, the wallet and daemon are in the same program but they are actually separate functions and somewhat separate pieces of code (being broken up more in latest versions). With this coin they are actually separate programs.

eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:01:36 AM

hey guys

What operating system is this?

The uploader of that blockchain didn't specify the OS or 32-bit v. 64-bit so I'm not sure what it corresponds to. These are not cross-compatible. Download the blockchain that you need from the main post. Don't worry about the VLC thing, keep the name "blockchain" and the file type ".bin" just as you downloaded it.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 12:07:59 AM

hey guys

First, congratulations for deciding to go beyond your comfort zone and use the command line.

Second, your machine (Windows?) tells you this is a VLC file because it only looks at the file extension (.bin) in that case. But .bin is a common file extension with a lof of different use (it means binary).

If you are on Windows, you must put it on %APPDATA%bitmonero. To access APPDATA%, just open up Explorer and type %APPDATA% where you usually have C:\ Do this whilst everything monero is shut down.

parker928

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:37:04 AM

hey guys

If you cant get the blockchain download to work, just start the daemon without it and wait several hours for it to sync. It will still work, the blockchain download is just a short cut.

The daemon is the core of the program. You run it in the background (another window) and then the wallet is another program you use, which connects to the daemon to function. In bitcoind, the wallet and daemon are in the same program but they are actually separate functions and somewhat separate pieces of code (being broken up more in latest versions). With this coin they are actually separate programs.

Thanks man I will just go ahead and let download!
Hope you don't mind I pick your brain a tad more,?

Ok so there are 2 separate functions, that makes sense. So is it like...the daemon stores/manages the blockchain info, and the wallet is just a way of viewing your position on the public ledger/send coins coins to another wallet?

I was trying to copy my address to send coins to the wallet but i couldn't highlight it so how can i read the wallet address in a way that will allow me to copy and paste it?

Is there a command to backup the wallet?

I understand with bitcoind, even if someone steals your wallet.dat they still need your encryption key to steal your coins. Is it the same with kyrptoknight? Is the password I made when I created the wallet essentially the same thing as the encryption key? Is there anything else I can do to help protect the coins?

Thanks for your help man I really like this coin a whole lot I see amazing potential here...cryptonote looks like the next big thing and i think bytecoin and quasar and honeypenny etc. don't really stand a chance against monero so I really am trying to overcome the steep barrier to entry!

Thanks!

parker928

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:40:13 AM

hey guys

What operating system is this?

The uploader of that blockchain didn't specify the OS or 32-bit v. 64-bit so I'm not sure what it corresponds to. These are not cross-compatible. Download the blockchain that you need from the main post. Don't worry about the VLC thing, keep the name "blockchain" and the file type ".bin" just as you downloaded it.

Ok so I am supposed to make a new roaming folder? does it have to be named "Monero"?
Are the "simplewallet" "simpleminer" and "bitmonerod" supposed to go in the roaming folder too or can i put them wherever?
parker928

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:42:58 AM

I hope I am not asking questions that have already been answered a bunch.

is there like an official guide or something?
policymaker

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Supporter

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:34:55 AM

I hope I am not asking questions that have already been answered a bunch.

is there like an official guide or something?

First off, i wanted to ask, i have been mining in mine.moneropool.org for hours now, with 20 to 40 hr/s but havent received any monero, is that normal?

On to your problem now, look at this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613072.new#new

It is a great guide, which doesn't mention a vital thing: before the first step, run bitmonerod.exe and let it synch past every grey/yellow synch message, up to the point(after several minutes), that it will notify u that the synching is completed(it going to stand out between final series of code). Leave it open behind, THEN follow the steps of the guide.

XCurrency Price Speculation Topic
Coin Control Basic guide                                                                XChat address/private/instant/absolute: XSKu1fpwvRcAekfK91qVHi51Tgz4ckoA91
XChat public key: zcfx74j4fFK9hW7rQniTvLyDyXd9SyRCrncP9vdukbVT
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: