Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:23:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin  (Read 594424 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:29:45 PM

I thought this was a good project and I was looking to invest in it..
I am sure once the dust settles people will come back to this project
... and join the ongoing discussion at https://reddit.com/r/Namecoin/new  Wink
By the way, Namecoin has the highest hashrate of all the cryptocurrencies at the moment
(one of the side effects of the ongoing BTC vs. BCH mining pools hashrate battle),
see https://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/comments/7cge6l/namecoin_hashrate_is_now_higher_than_bitcoin/

This is really intriguing. BCash would have been better going for the merged-mining option on this evidence, instead of attacking to take over Bitcoin's hash power ... idiots.

I like how the new Manage Names tab on the QT client is shaping up also ... good work Brandon R.

I was not going to respond but then I saw your tag line so in the interest of clearing confusion and for information only:

Bitcoin cash is actually bitcoin in my informed opinion.  it is not called bcash.   that is trollspeak. The abbreviation is bch/ xbc for now.. Additionally and more importantly there is a thing called freedom of money.  And yes it is different that access to money by right or by privilege (though those are fascinating topics worth study too).  Anyway freedom of money can be measured since money is a commodity of sorts and can be measured as it moves.  The choke points and bottlenecks and various regulations are all factored in to give a final rating.  Democracies can also be rated in this way... Things like if you are granted access to information, government transparency, etc are factored to give a final rating of 1-10.

Well right now bitcoin is suffering from a severe reduction in the freedom of money it once enjoyed.  What is more tragic is this was imposed from the inside!  So while there are countless examples of nations regulating bitcoin into the ground externally it still survived only to be encumbered most from the inside.  

I therefore will caution when calling the people working on bch idiots when they are just responding to the situation.  The alternative would have been to let bitcoin die on the vine as people will use other coins to transfer amounts less than several million dollars., we are already seeing it in smaller amounts now.  People on the bitcoin thread are genuinely scared and with good reason..  

I think merge mining with namecoin is worth looking into for bch

Says the bcash idiot who is also pushing something called trumpcoin. This is a namecoin forum. Go try and pump your shitcoins in the proper area.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitbobb

Activity: 1134
Merit: 525

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:31:11 AM

The abbreviation is bch/ xbc for now..

Bitcoinplus already uses the ticker [XBC] so they may stick with BCC or BCH.

just reporting the information I found.  that xbc is reserved internationally for bitcoin cash. regards

Bitbobb

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:34:00 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 03:41:27 AM by Bitbobb

I thought this was a good project and I was looking to invest in it..
I am sure once the dust settles people will come back to this project
... and join the ongoing discussion at https://reddit.com/r/Namecoin/new  Wink
By the way, Namecoin has the highest hashrate of all the cryptocurrencies at the moment
(one of the side effects of the ongoing BTC vs. BCH mining pools hashrate battle),
see https://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/comments/7cge6l/namecoin_hashrate_is_now_higher_than_bitcoin/

This is really intriguing. BCash would have been better going for the merged-mining option on this evidence, instead of attacking to take over Bitcoin's hash power ... idiots.

I like how the new Manage Names tab on the QT client is shaping up also ... good work Brandon R.

I was not going to respond but then I saw your tag line so in the interest of clearing confusion and for information only:

Bitcoin cash is actually bitcoin in my informed opinion.  it is not called bcash.   that is trollspeak. The abbreviation is bch/ xbc for now.. Additionally and more importantly there is a thing called freedom of money.  And yes it is different that access to money by right or by privilege (though those are fascinating topics worth study too).  Anyway freedom of money can be measured since money is a commodity of sorts and can be measured as it moves.  The choke points and bottlenecks and various regulations are all factored in to give a final rating.  Democracies can also be rated in this way... Things like if you are granted access to information, government transparency, etc are factored to give a final rating of 1-10.

Well right now bitcoin is suffering from a severe reduction in the freedom of money it once enjoyed.  What is more tragic is this was imposed from the inside!  So while there are countless examples of nations regulating bitcoin into the ground externally it still survived only to be encumbered most from the inside.  

I therefore will caution when calling the people working on bch idiots when they are just responding to the situation.  The alternative would have been to let bitcoin die on the vine as people will use other coins to transfer amounts less than several million dollars., we are already seeing it in smaller amounts now.  People on the bitcoin thread are genuinely scared and with good reason..  

Says the bcash idiot who is also pushing something called trumpcoin. This is a namecoin forum. Go try and pump your shitcoins in the proper area.

wow nice bunch of hate there you've got.  No I am not telling anyone to buy or not buy anything.  I am here for namecoin.  And I was making a point about freedom of money which is a very important concept.  I realize namecoin is not looked at as a crypto coin perhaps as like the others.  And your use of the trollspeak bcash tells me my answer why you have the hatred for the example I used in my comments.  Instead of attacking the substance of the comment you attack me personally.  That is lawyer trick #3.  Often used when facts are not present.  regards

Vera Nov

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:35:43 AM

I has read and i understand about this project mean, maybe if my advice you can give explain more about this project or this announcement, that is so simple explain, if you add many statement you can make someone understand all about your project
Bitbobb

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:52:46 AM

I has read and i understand about this project mean, maybe if my advice you can give explain more about this project or this announcement, that is so simple explain, if you add many statement you can make someone understand all about your project

This project in my opinion was a way to have an alternative to the dns layer that is used on the internet.

It was more than could be included into bitcoin so it became it's own coin (again in my opinion).  I think many were worried it may take from bitcoins market share (ahh the good old days) so it was de-emphasized as a crypto coin and more as a dns alternative utility.  That said it is still subject to the same market forces as any other scarce good.

Doe anyone here know the full potential of namecoin?  Good question IMO.  Time will tell..

since 2016 this coin is more important than ever.  Why do I say this?   ~It took 8 years under Obama but finally the congressional oversight over the ARPA private contractor that maintains the dns layer is gone.  As soon as this protection was lifted we saw individual ip' addresses world wide get targeted for "soft censorship" of wikileak releases at that same time.  I think Assange trolled this event on purpose so there would be much data to study from.  Thank you Julian.

It is my belief that Satoshi knew that something so precious as bitcoin could not survive long in a world that had an internet that was censored so cleverly.  Eventually that beautiful unknown genius saw that the dns layer could be used to target each ip running bitcoin in a malicious way.

These are just my opinions they could be wrong or correct or any blend of the two.. do your own research!

regards,

aessedai

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 09:38:48 AM

Is Namecoin dead?  Why can't I trade it on Shapeshift anymore? 
jmxcursi

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 10:20:53 PM

We added Namecoin to the Cheddur app (https://www.cheddur.com/)! This will allow new users to learn about Namecoin and join the community. Cheddur allows you to link wallets, exchanges, and other services that support NMC so that new users can easily get started. You can also review the project and post your NMC addresses on your profile to receive tips / payments / donations in NMC from other users Smiley

Can others from the community please review the profile for quality and help us add supported services? The more active the Namecoin profile is (via user reviews and addresses), the higher it ranks in search results and the more likely newcomers are to discover the Namecoin project!

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/FzQsN

https://i.imgur.com/oEUs42O.jpg
NickCrypto

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 03:52:45 AM

Great Chart Gallery of NameCoin on BitScreener: https://bitscreener.com/coins/namecoin/chart_gallery
https://i.imgur.com/EUTrC7c.png

MarketMagic

Activity: 777
Merit: 777

Altbone inc.Burial service for altcoins

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:49:31 PM

@Bitbobb pm sent

█████████████████████
Bitbobb

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:21:25 AM

@Bitbobb pm sent

Jeremy has sent a message that he cannot log into this site now that they put tor login protection on the forum.

He says that work can continue on the electrum wallet.

Bounty instructions for those interested will follow..

SpudroForEveryone

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:17:59 PM

Bitcoin $1000, Namecoin $1.6
Bitcoin $ 10,000, Namecoin $1.7
 Grin

Driendy

Activity: 334
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 09:36:09 PM

Grin

For a coin like name , with 1000 BTC you can grow the market cap to 100mln. It can grow very quickly like it happened with VTC
Litvin

Activity: 78
Merit: 20

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:02:06 AM

Grin

Namekoin is the first branch from Bitcoin, it will cost tens of times more.
yyz13857180757

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:49:11 PM

Namecoin developers keep close ties with the community, which will make the project better. Landing as soon as possible is the only way out for the development of the project, otherwise there will be no improvement. Cool
Victorio

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 08:13:33 PM

Grin
That is what a true stable coin should be - costing the same amount of USD no matter the time. More legit and open-minded than Tether.
Sadly that's just irony.

Jokes aside, I lean to think that traders started massively take USD profits on WEX and pump lower-volume coins there (Peercoin, Namecoin and Novacoin), since these coins outpaced the general market for 2-3 days.

PeterTheGrape

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 03:13:51 AM

Jokes aside, I lean to think that traders started massively take USD profits on WEX and pump lower-volume coins there (Peercoin, Namecoin and Novacoin), since these coins outpaced the general market for 2-3 days.

Had not heard of wex before

https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/wex/

Number 19 exchange 73m usd volume today https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/volume/24-hour/

-

Anyway Namecoin is a lot like early bitcoin, in that it is a chance for new people to buy and hold a very high quality coin probably.

a) Only two coins afaik that Satoshi Nakamoto was involved with, bitcoin and namecoin.

b) Namecoin 14.7m coins @ 0.00023 btc or usd2.2
    Bitcoin 16.7m coins at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     usd10,000

It's hard to find a coin with a better early history. The second coin after bitcoin to exist, and the first coin with a real world use
Victorio

Activity: 281

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:53:18 AM

Number 19 exchange 73m usd volume today https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/volume/24-hour/
ex-BTC-e. It's not a small exchange, especially for Namecoin - its trading volume on Wex amounts more that all other exchanges together (Poloniex, Cryptopia, Altcoin Trader) and the only one to offer a fiat pair for NMC.

Despite Namecoin had a good start and the community, mostly cryptoanarchists at that time, expected it to become a truly immutable DNS service - I sincerely doubt it will ever regain at least a fraction of that faith. The time Namecoin has had to prove valuable and usable - passed away.

If Namecoin had followed the path Darkcoin did - being aggressively ran by a large team of keen developers and marketers, we wouldn't have now lamented how poorly has Namecoin withstood the Bitcoin run and lagged behind the entire altcoins run.

Bitbobb

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 05:17:21 PM

ex-BTC-e. It's not a small exchange, especially for Namecoin - its trading volume on Wex amounts more that all other exchanges together (Poloniex, Cryptopia, Altcoin Trader) and the only one to offer a fiat pair for NMC.

Despite Namecoin had a good start and the community, mostly cryptoanarchists at that time, expected it to become a truly immutable DNS service - I sincerely doubt it will ever regain at least a fraction of that faith. The time Namecoin has had to prove valuable and usable - passed away.

If Namecoin had followed the path Darkcoin did - being aggressively ran by a large team of keen developers and marketers, we wouldn't have now lamented how poorly has Namecoin withstood the Bitcoin run and lagged behind the entire altcoins run.

proving something is useful is different that using it.. lol

Pretty sure namecoin proved it was useful. 

PeterTheGrape

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 04:23:41 AM

proving something is useful is different that using it.. lol

Pretty sure namecoin proved it was useful. 

Remains to be seen if coins will decentralize the internet.

Right now Namecoin is touching its highs for market cap in the last couple years and the technicals look good.

Here are the only downsides I see.

a) It was associated in some way with somebody who was a hacker or something on btc e, not sure what that story is, but possibly might put some people off.

b) It is the only coin, as far as I know, that takes a deliberate dig at a state government, and is likely to be targeted by that government.
1) Aaron Swartz is potentially the most powerful recent symbol of government intimidating honest people. He was a brilliant tech type, an honest guy of the highest integrity. The U.S. government tried to dig up a fake crime so they could bully him into working for them. He declined. there is no doubt a lot of effort has been put into preventing his story from becoming a legend. The U.S. government, and many other governments, make an industry of criminalizing honest people, then forcing those honest people to criminalize their friends so more and more people are under the control of a bunch of petty gangster punk thugs who are not able to compete with integrity. Aaron swartz is potentially governments' worst nightmare and Namecoin is one of his last footprints, so far.
2) The United States has control of the internet. The U.S. government can remove any website in any country, or do it as a favor to an agency in any country, and typically that power is not used in a benevolent way. Namecoin could become a threat to that power and it is likely the U.S. government, and others, are active in trying to hobble Namecoin.

Namecoin, and crypto generally, are not threats to honest people. They can be used to progress a lot of things that need progressing.

Whether this coin will overcome the threats, who knows.
j4y_naKomodo

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 06:20:36 AM

Greetings, friends at Namecoin! As Komodo Platform has been working around the clock to fine-tune the multiple GUI's that are the face of our Agama multiwallet and BarterDEX atomic swap protocols, there have obviously been many bugs found and many debugged. However, one bug in particular was found not only in our Agama GUI wallet, but also in the zcash4mac GUI swing wallet. It is a simple bug, but it warrants your attention. This is a potential money cost bug, and as a Bitcoin-protocol cryptocurrency, your GUI wallet(s) may be susceptible.

watchonly-GUI bug: 'watchonly' addresses appearing as your own in GUI wallet; users could potentially send funds to the address, unaware it is not theirs or available for withdrawal.  You can import <any address> and it becomes a 'watchonly' address. The GUI will display the address as yours, add its funds to your balance, and accept deposits, but cannot be withdrawn. This could be a normal address, my address, a p2sh address, satoshi's address, etc. This can be confusing to an end-user and will lead to many headaches for the developer, as is always the case with misplaced funds.

FOUND: in Komodo Platform's Agama multiwallet (fixed) and zcash4mac GUI swing wallet (@jl777b: "newest QT wallet seems ok about watch only, but not sure of older and when it was fixed")

ex. @grewalsatinder found the bug in his zcash swing wallet: https://i.imgur.com/sVd0QTL.png

Quote from: jl777B
"satinder used zcash4mac, ie. the zcash osx GUI, not ours... the assumption is no GUI out there properly handles watch only addresses, until proven that they do... agama also had this bug, which we found and fixed, so it seems a very common bug to have"

SOLUTION: For the 'watchonly' address or any address not yours, the value 'ismine' returns false. Any such address gets filtered out.

QUESTIONS:
  • How does your recommended GUI deal with watchonly addresses?
  • Does your GUI display watchonly addresses as different than actual addresses in the wallet?

We need to experiment a bit to see which approach gets a better response triggering the bug. People WILL lose money if they send funds to a watchonly address.

Quote from: jl777B
"the t3 addresses in the 'Own Addresses' column! and they absolutely cant be as they are p2sh addresses. it is clear proof that the bug is very real and anybody that understands a p2sh address will understand it cant be something in your wallet. it is usually a multisig address, so only if it is a 1of1 multisig (possible but very silly) can you have a p2sh address that is spendable, but the wallet wont even know it... normal addresses can also be watchonly, which makes this even worse. in that case it would appear in the list of addresses just like all the others. even if you are able to spot p2sh addresses visually, it wont be enough"

I've been tasked with spreading awareness and facilitating discussion of this bug, so please let me know if you have any questions. I'll get you some answers and we can minimize the impact. We wanted to reach out directly to the developers of the 60+ coins featured on Agama and BarterDEX as the bug may have a direct impact on you (via your own GUI wallet).

- Jay
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: