Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin  (Read 594425 times)
mp7887

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 11:12:27 PM

Hello, i will like to know the maximum supply for Namecoin. CMC only shows circulating supply
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trantute2

Activity: 784
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 07:08:34 AM

Hello, i will like to know the maximum supply for Namecoin. CMC only shows circulating supply

There you go:

21 million Namecoins are released as a geometric series, every 4 years the rate is halved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin
trantute2

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 09:04:08 AM

Can anyone, who owns a working account at

https://forum.namecoin.org/

post a message there or contact an admin directly, that the namecoin-forum is totally useless for new members?

I created several accounts at forum.namecoin.org in the last few days and it is NOT possible to reply to messages, it is NOT possible to create new threads and it is NOT possible to send PMs!

Moreover, there exists a list of the forum members (Quick links -> Members), which can be ordered with respect to the date a person joined the forum. It seems that everyone, who joined after 2017-11-30, is not able to post messages.

With such a non-working/dysfunctional/broken namecoin-forum, it is not surprising, that the namecoin community seems dead.

The solution:

Click on your username on the right top of forum.namecoin.org, below the search field as follows:

Username -> User Control Panel -> Usergroups -> Self confirmed users -> Submit

I registered at many fora, and no registration was so unintuitive. I can only recommend, that the admins of forum.namecoin.org change this as quickly as possible.
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:42:30 AM

We need relaunch this coin, I hope someone able to  take the project to the moon. Cheesy

yes, definitely.
one of the oldest coin, interesting project,but permanently sleeping; low number of pages on this site, low collective interest.
giangtran205

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 11:32:07 AM

Much appreciated Smiley
trantute2

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:47:43 AM

We need relaunch this coin, I hope someone able to  take the project to the moon. Cheesy

yes, definitely.
one of the oldest coin, interesting project,but permanently sleeping; low number of pages on this site, low collective interest.

If you think that Namecoin is a valuable project, then use some of the money you don't need and buy some Namecoin. I think, the price is so low, because bitcoin miners get Namecoins for free via merged mining. They sell it immediately since they bought mining hardware for Bitcoin and not for Namecoin. However, since Namecoins cost virtually nothing in the moment, it should be quite easy to dry-out the markets by buying relatively big amounts of Namecoins. Provided, there is more than one person buying Namecoins.

There are only 21m Namecoins and it is easy to buy 1000 Namecoins. With 1000 Bitcoins, a person is already considered to be very rich. Hence, 1000 persons buying 1000 Namecoins reduces the available supply by at least 1/21.

Additionally, the next Namecoin reward halving is around the 14th of October 2018. Thus, the supply will be reduced further this year.

Taken together, buying Namecoins plus the reward halving might show a visible effect on the price this year.
omarabid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 09:56:05 AM

I bought around 3500NMC last year when it was sub $1. I sold them on the bull market as I needed money. Now I'm re-buying (1500nmc at the moment) and looking to reach 5000-6000NMC.

I think the probability of namecoin going into a bull market is weak. Especially if you consider the state of despair on the crypto market. However, the upside is laughable.

nmc could go to 100$+ prices easily if some whales mass market it. most people are unaware that nmc will lose lots of its supply once people starts to register domains as they burn the registration fee (0.01nmc currently). That with the people who already lost their coins due to inattention and negligence.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6217

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 09:08:15 PM

I had followed Namecoin a bit in 2013 and 2014, and also had bought some - I even registered some domains. Then it seemed that other coins had implemented similar "naming" features (for example, NXT and Emercoin) and my interest dwindled a bit.

However, the naming/DNS solutions of other coins seem to be used even less than Namecoin's. And a big advantage is that it's officially supported by ZeroNet (one of the few really working "decentralized internet" projects) and OpenNIC. So I think that in "anarchist"/crypto-libertarian circles Namecoin is still used and valued.

I have, honestly, no idea where Namecoin is heading, but it could be an opportunity, as - as trantute2 already wrote - it's one of the coins that provide something unique, and it was the first of its kind. (If I remember right, it was even the first altcoin!)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
trantute2

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 10:22:04 AM

It's a shame that Namecoin is so little used!

I think the practical value of Namecoin is not really promoted: freedom. I would like to use and browse bit-domains. However, it is quite complex to configure a browser correspondingly. There exist at least one browser addon, but as far as I remember, this is not working in my current browser.

Because of that, there should be an addon for all important browsers, which is maintained continously by the community.

If I am wrong, please correct me.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 05:41:50 PM

There exist at least one browser addon, but as far as I remember, this is not working in my current browser.

PeerName works for me on Chromium. There seem to be more extensions for Chrome/Chromium (dot-bit-proxy, Dotbitme web surfer and Blockchain DNS, I didn't test them), but I didn't find a working Firefox extension. I also didn't find an Android app, and that should be "standard" in these times for cryptocurrency communities and applications. I don't know what's the situation on Edge or Safari.

So I think you are right with your criticism. If Namecoin wants to be successful, it must be as user-friendly as possible, otherwise people will simply stick with the good ol' centralized DNS.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 06:12:47 PM

There exist at least one browser addon, but as far as I remember, this is not working in my current browser.

So I think you are right with your criticism. If Namecoin wants to be successful, it must be as user-friendly as possible, otherwise people will simply stick with the good ol' centralized DNS.

you are evidently right, already waiting for a long time.
krostue

Activity: 186
Merit: 120

post history is my own and doesn't represent other

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 04:34:25 AM

Namecoin Namespace Announcement:

poem/

Code:
Poetry Month Celeparticipation by the 
Decentralized Publicating of Artwords

All entries to be Republished Peer to Peer
Quarterly by volunteers at CryptoArt.World 

Register original content via the client
poem/title & the entry data is the body

[ANN] XCP:OULIPO & Namecoin Namespace "poem/"

poem.cryptoart.world for more info

my first musical NFT on namecoin m/eow was registered in 2014. my specialization is cryptoart and my preferred platform is CounterParty Feel free to give feedback on the Treatise on cyproart I wrote in 2019, well before the NFT hype-train pulled into town. This Gallery includes multiple works made by, with or for me. for sale @ ethereum.properties : ethereum.training ethereum.contractors ethereum.computer ethereum.systems ethereum.training ethereum.support ethereum.solutions list obo
Alat2233

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 04:46:51 AM

I used to make good money trading this coin to the problems of BTC-E, I would like to see new listings, because the coin is very interesting
mt55

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 04:50:11 AM

Namecoin has many useful functions, therefore it is impossible to consider it simply as an ordinary coin. It is an innovation that will show itself to the world. I read information about the Safinus project as an investment platform. I also see a lot of revolutionary innovations there

Namecoin also has an incredible history in the crypto space. I hope it can go back up again as it is one of the oldest coins out there!

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
trantute2

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 07:00:40 AM

What about a corresponding project:

Development of some trustworthy browser-app for all major browsers

It should not be too hard to code this. Especially since there already exist code snippets one can use. However, I am not very experienced in app-development even though I think this is not hard to learn. Nevertheless, I would like to try my luck. But I want the community to be involved. That is, if you know about some existing and working broswer-app being open source, please post this here. d5000 already mentioned PeerName, but I am not sure if this project is open source.

Moreover, it would be nice if other people could join since my time is limited and I do not know when I can start such a project and when/if there will be some result.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 03:13:49 AM

That is, if you know about some existing and working broswer-app being open source, please post this here. d5000 already mentioned PeerName, but I am not sure if this project is open source.
I just saw that Blockchain DNS is also available for Firefox (and Chrome, as I already wrote), according to its own webpage. It has a Github repository, and is open source (Unlicense = Public Domain software). I had never seen this project before, so I still didn't test it but I'll give it a try (at a first glance, on Chromium it works fine, while I couldn't test it that easily with my FF because I use the older ESR version and it requires FF 55).

The project, however, like PeerName, uses a centralized server to resolve the .bit domains. But as far as I understand the website you could set up your own service to do this. Maybe one can take this as a base for a totally decentralized application, e.g. where you can simply put in the IP of the server to do the "hard work" via an easy user interface?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
omarabid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 10:15:10 AM

That's the spirit. You can't expect people to do the work for you. If you want a great community you have to start yourself. As for me, I put another few hundreds dollars in Namecoin today. Total stack is 2000NMC. Only 1/3 to my accumulation target.
trantute2

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 06:49:22 AM

That is, if you know about some existing and working broswer-app being open source, please post this here. d5000 already mentioned PeerName, but I am not sure if this project is open source.
I just saw that Blockchain DNS is also available for Firefox (and Chrome, as I already wrote), according to its own webpage. It has a Github repository, and is open source (Unlicense = Public Domain software). I had never seen this project before, so I still didn't test it but I'll give it a try (at a first glance, on Chromium it works fine, while I couldn't test it that easily with my FF because I use the older ESR version and it requires FF 55).

Thanks d5000. This project looks promising. I have the same problem with the firefox version number. There are Linux-distros which are behind the current firefox version so that the addon won't work. Nevertheless, I will look into the github repository.

The project, however, like PeerName, uses a centralized server to resolve the .bit domains. But as far as I understand the website you could set up your own service to do this. Maybe one can take this as a base for a totally decentralized application, e.g. where you can simply put in the IP of the server to do the "hard work" via an easy user interface?

Hmm ... I think some "centralized" server is always necessary, otherwise people must download and maintain their own copy of the namecoin blockchain. This restricts usability too much. Or is there something like a light client for namecoin which only keeps track of the domain names?

If I mix-up too many concepts, please correct me.
trantute2

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 06:53:47 AM

That's the spirit. You can't expect people to do the work for you. If you want a great community you have to start yourself.

True. But I can expect people to help me with information. Four eyes see more than two. And analogously, two brains know more than one.
trantute2

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 10:00:52 AM

is there some sort of chat client we can all talk about this coin? like a telegram or slack?

There is a specific forum for Namecoin. See

https://forum.namecoin.org/

If you register there, check also out the following message:

https://forum.namecoin.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2691&sid=68679f2b45b976d36abaf55b4331c17a
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: