Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:18:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 ... 1628 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XC][XCurrency] Decentralised Trustless Privacy Platform / Encrypted XChat / Pos  (Read 1483650 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
synechist
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:08:15 PM

Just ran into an interesting resistance to crypto currency in general. "Virtual money will not be able to be traded in the event of a EMP. Hard silver however will have value to owners." My thought is in the event of an EMP that massive nothing but food guns and water would be of value? Is there a way to EMP proof XC?

You mean XC isn't backed by goats?   Grin

Ha ha.

No cryptocurrencies can operate entirely manually if it comes down to it.

(Not that it would be convenient.)

For example:
http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:15:53 PM

Just ran into an interesting resistance to crypto currency in general. "Virtual money will not be able to be traded in the event of a EMP. Hard silver however will have value to owners." My thought is in the event of an EMP that massive nothing but food guns and water would be of value? Is there a way to EMP proof XC?

You mean XC isn't backed by goats?   Grin

Ha ha.

No cryptocurrencies can operate entirely manually if it comes down to it.

(Not that it would be convenient.)

For example:
http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html

maybe u should create a technologyfree pencil and paper set that comes with the torstick.   so post apocolypse everybody can be trading (feel sorry for whoever keeps up the blockchain lolz)

"xc - future proof no matter what.  get ur pencil and paper set today FREE with the order of 5 torsticks.  futureproof no matter what it brings"
Janitor

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:16:38 PM

Well, it'll be that we begin development of the Web 3.0 tech.

meanwhile ethereum is getting forked by ibm and building their own coding language on the blockchain.  luv how u guys are basically imitating them  Roll Eyes  (except you plan on charging for decentralized services and making a company out of it lol ... whereas theres is opensource for all to develop)

Who said where what?

Link please.

robinwilliams

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:19:47 PM

Well, it'll be that we begin development of the Web 3.0 tech.

meanwhile ethereum is getting forked by ibm and building their own coding language on the blockchain.  luv how u guys are basically imitating them  Roll Eyes  (except you plan on charging for decentralized services and making a company out of it lol ... whereas theres is opensource for all to develop)

Who said where what?

Link please.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2gjkje/we_are_forking_ethereum_ibm/

You guys should get out more ... like really.

echo chambers are dangerous
Janitor

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:20:08 PM

Okay so I'm on v0.9.2.49.06.XCurrency-REV2 running xminer.
My question is about the seemingly random way xminer works.

1. Now my weight is 7504, but every time I turn it on it's different (although the amount in the wallet is the same).  What are factors that impact that?

2. Time to earn reward also gyrates wildly. Sometime it's 17 hours, then 20, now 21. Why?

3. It seems (from 2, above) that xminer isn't useful (i.e. is useless) if you need - and I do - to show down your PC once or twice a day. Is this true?
Janitor

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:23:48 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2014, 07:01:24 PM by Janitor

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2gjkje/we_are_forking_ethereum_ibm/

You guys should get out more ... like really.

echo chambers are dangerous

Thanks!

I love to burp in echo chambers!
That is great news because that's exactly what I was hoping for (and hence didn't buy Ethereum fuel). Yeee how!!!!
I knew about telehash and IBM/Samsung cooperation, but even news mags that published the Samsung hook up news didn't mention this.

EDIT: Now I know why: it's not really true - the fork is just to do a demo at an event. They didn't say they plan to maintain or develop that fork.
http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/6354/#Comment_6354
the_game1224

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:34:31 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/29/firechat-messaging-app-gains-users-during-hong-kong-protests/

G-Bert

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:39:05 PM

“When your smartphone cannot connect to a cellular tower or Wi-Fi it chooses Bluetooth,” said Benoliel, a 42-year-old France native. Users can join and send messages to discussion groups, dubbed FireChats.

This is cool. Could we incorporate this?

XChat XJkVnYD4N4oSjNStgbAUD6UyWuBTWuMRgv
public key  fuYPYmK4Sj57PkU2NKg1gKW91euMKkstQPeeexUcxnb8
the_game1224

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:08:43 PM

Ok, there's layer 1: the Xnode protocol
- nodes communicate with one another using an end-to-end encrypted protocol, so that anyone who intercepts their messages can't decipher them.
- nodes communicate directly; they don't use any trusted third parties or central servers. Therefore there's no one point of failure or attack.

Layer 2: an ad hoc meshnet
- when you make a private payment, the first thing that happens is that your app sets up a network with a bunch of other nodes that are making payments at the same time as you.
- this network exists only for the duration of the transaction, and thus has no permanent infrastructure that can be attacked.
- since this network is a mesh, it does not encounter problems if nodes drop out of the network during the transaction. Thus it's robust against DOS attacks (i.e when a node refuses to sign, which breaks other technologies, like CoinJoin).

Layer 3: trustless mixing
- when you make a private payment, a transaction is built up between all the nodes in a meshnet.
- they pass the transaction around in a very clever way (analogous to Coinshuffle) in order to send coins to their intended destinations on behalf of other nodes.
- once the transaction is ready, each node checks that its own coins are going to the right destination, and if all is in order, the node signs the transaction.
- the signing is done in a very clever way so that no node knows which other node's coins they're forwarding.
- the coins are forwarded to their destination from a different address to the one that a forwarding node receives them on, so that there's no link on the blockchain between sender and receiver.
- if there's a problem then a node will refuse to sign. This makes the whole transaction unable to be processed, and thus no node can steal the coins that it's forwarding on behalf of another node.
- when this occurs, the nodes are able to reverse the passing-around procedure and discover which node caused the trouble. This node gets kicked off the mesh, and the transaction proceeds as per usual.

Layer 4: multipath
- when you make a private payment, the coins aren't sent in one go, but in fragments, making it impossible for anyone to tell how much you actually sent.

The ways in which all this is private:
- multipath conceals the amount you send or receive.
- mixing conceals the sender and the receiver.
- the trustless nature of the mixing ensures that nodes can't steal coins and that they can't know whose coins they're forwarding.
- the Xnode protocol ensures that nobody can decipher any of these messages in the first place.
- in addition, using the XC TOR Stick conceals your IP address.
- and, finally, when we add stealth addresses to XC, then when someone pays you, not even they will discover the address you receive the payment on, and so you don't have to trust them to keep private the address that your coins are on.

Basically, there's nothing else to make private after all this. The entire thing is concealed; none of your personal information is given away. So it's 100% privacy.

Awesome explanation, thanks!
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

“When your smartphone cannot connect to a cellular tower or Wi-Fi it chooses Bluetooth,” said Benoliel, a 42-year-old France native. Users can join and send messages to discussion groups, dubbed FireChats.

I was literally just trying to post a comment about this when you beat me to it. Since XC has a mesh networking expert it would be great to have something this in the mobile app.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:24:29 PM

Health is wealth.  Silver is a full-spectrum antibiotic that never spoils, so it is intrinsically valuable just like food/guns/water/shelter.

If you want to purify your water after The Event, you need silver.  If you get sick from an infected wound or eating a dead squirrel, you need silver.  If you need to buy food/guns/water/shelter, you need silver or gold.

Absent a solar flare, the entire world will not be EMPed so the internet will still be working somewhere.  But to get there, you may need to bribe some border guards/bandits/pirates/smugglers with silver or gold.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:52:13 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2014, 09:09:18 PM by synechist

I was literally just trying to post a comment about this when you beat me to it. Since XC has a mesh networking expert it would be great to have something this in the mobile app.

I think we could go one-up on the idea of Bluetooth. It's not great.

How about a hardware meshnet between mobile devices based on the devices' GSM/HSDPA/LTE and wifi radios? - or, perhaps, wifi for better speed but short range, and GSM for longer range but less bandwidth. To do this, an XC app would merely have to do what internet tethering apps do, but with a distributed, meshnet twist.

Now that would be handy in a riot. Or anywhere. You could upload videos using that, never mind little chat messages.

Edit: no idea how tricky it would be to do this with a GSM radio; might require a deeply hacked phone.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 09:19:06 PM

How about a hardware meshnet between mobile devices based on the devices' GSM/HSDPA/LTE and wifi radios? - or, perhaps, wifi for better speed but short range, and GSM for longer range but less bandwidth. To do this, an XC app would merely have to do what internet tethering apps do, but with a distributed, meshnet twist.

Now that would be handy in a riot. Or anywhere. You could upload videos using that, never mind little chat messages.

Edit: no idea how tricky it would be to do this with a GSM radio; might require a deeply hacked phone.

That would be awesome.

Perhaps with these things you could set something up from your home network as well. Perhaps if it could be monetized, then one day XC could offer some kind of low cost, pay as you go, privacy preserving internet service. Maybe I'm going too far with that, but I think mesh networks like this are quite exciting and have lots of potential. Apple seems to really want to push it in the future, but all this open network stuff seems somehow to be fundamentally at odds with Apple's closed ecosystem approach so I'm sure XC could do it better  Wink
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 09:22:58 PM

That would be awesome.

Perhaps with these things you could set something up from your home network as well. Perhaps if it could be monetized, then one day XC could offer some kind of low cost, pay as you go, privacy preserving internet service. Maybe I'm going too far with that, but I think mesh networks like this are quite exciting and have lots of potential. Apple seems to really want to push it in the future, but all this open network stuff seems somehow to be fundamentally at odds with Apple's closed ecosystem approach so I'm sure XC could do it better  Wink

I can't say we're explicitly planning this, but IMO the idea suggests itself.

I'd say let Apple go for it. It wouldn't be all that safe (since it'll be closed source code) but real live meshnets are awesome. It would seriously serve XC's aims if Apple and other giants had hardware meshnets that people can build apps for.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
coinzcoinzcoinz

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:10:35 PM

Sorry I didn't want to read through pages of information. Couple of questions:
1) When is open source expected?
2) When is independent code review expected?
2) When is your private transaction system expected to finished (final REV)?

I'm trying to determine whether I should buy some XC (I used to own some, but then I dumped it, it was possibly a mistake). XC is possibly better than other privacy related coins I own, but timelines are very important to me.

Lastly, I think you guys are missing a few tricks marketing-wise, there are a couple of small issues I have with design and brand colors and such (I am a professional in this area), but the biggest issue is the name. XCurrency is not the best of names. It is too long and does not work well for people who have a different native language than English (try to say 'Xcurrency' if you are Spanish for example).

Thanks for response.
five8andten

Activity: 71

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:20:17 PM

mwahaha!  Was able to pick up another 1k just now.  Working so much is allowing me to play finally haha.

HYP - pURCi5HeWabYfF3WoCuAWRCWz5G1hxuhMz
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 10:40:32 PM

I'm trying to determine whether I should buy some XC (I used to own some, but then I dumped it, it was possibly a mistake). XC is possibly better than other privacy related coins I own, but timelines are very important to me.

Lastly, I think you guys are missing a few tricks marketing-wise, there are a couple of small issues I have with design and brand colors and such (I am a professional in this area), but the biggest issue is the name. XCurrency is not the best of names. It is too long and does not work well for people who have a different native language than English (try to say 'Xcurrency' if you are Spanish for example).

Thanks for response.

Hello again sir!

We open source our code progressively, in stages. So far we've released our Rev 1 mixer tech. You can expect more components to become available as we go.

Independent code reviews can be expected fairly soon. We'll most likely appoint a couple of internal consultants first, who'll verify the security of the code. Ideally we'll publish their results (including changes made). After that, the public independent reviews will come.

The private transactions system is finished already. The final piece of the puzzle (ad hoc meshnets) was released on 15 Sept. As per the plan, there have been several incremental updates following this to iron out a few kinks, which seem to have been resolved as far as I can tell.

That said, there's an XChat feature that'll impact XC's privacy favourably: implementing "stealth addresses" will allow users to publicise a personal address to be reached (and paid) on, but when payments are made to it, they'll arrive in the user's wallet on a different address. This way, even the sender will not need to be trusted with the receiver's personal information.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding marketing - points well taken. XC's brand will evolve steadily as we approach our official public launch, so you can expect incremental changes as things develop. You're very welcome to PM me with suggestions.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
policymaker

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Supporter

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:45:25 PM

Thanks for response.

Spanish is big, but a lot of thought and work was commited from team to both the name/design/colours used. Certainly upgradeable, but that specific part was probably the first indicator that xc was going big--- they justified and discussed a lot with the community concerning it.

XCurrency Price Speculation Topic
Coin Control Basic guide                                                                XChat address/private/instant/absolute: XSKu1fpwvRcAekfK91qVHi51Tgz4ckoA91
XChat public key: zcfx74j4fFK9hW7rQniTvLyDyXd9SyRCrncP9vdukbVT
akula999

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

mwahaha!  Was able to pick up another 1k just now.  Working so much is allowing me to play finally haha.

1K!! wow, im happy when i can buy 10!

Bitcoin: 1FzZehkiwfeeUmfmBrym8VvXX7gUj3miHe
XMR: 4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf
altcollector

Activity: 53

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:28:03 PM

1K!! wow, im happy when i can buy 10!

I will buy some xc  Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 ... 1628 »
  Print  

Jump to: