Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:25:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R-Box Setup [HD]  (Read 59429 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 05:05:39 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2018, 04:48:32 AM by dogie
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
  ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
   Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
   DefaultTrust Visualisation
   Power Supply analysis guide
   Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What to Expect
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Configuration
4) Troubleshooting
5) Where to buy

0a) What to Expect (top)
The RockMiner R-Box replaces the Cube in the ASICMiner line up at just 10% of the power consumption. This is the first implementation of ASICMiner's
generation 3 40nm BE200 chip. Each unit ships in a custom made box with custom padding and is vacuum sealed from the factory. Cables included will
depend on your reseller.

Chips4x ASICMiner Gen3
Hashrate~32-37GH
Rated Voltage12V
Rated Current3.5-4A
Power.Consumption40-50W

0b) What You Need (top)
In addition to a host windows PC, you will need a few accessories and a mains power adapter.

Click your flag to find everything you need to get started at Amazon!              

1) Powering (top)
R-Boxes do not come with a power supply, and you will need a 2.5mm 12V mains power adapter. Also pictured is the method when using a BlackArrow
power distribution board
. I can not recommend its use due to the pins being openly exposed on the back side. Live to ground can so easily be shorted with a
finger, posing both a safety and fire risk.

2) Cooling (top)
The R-Box is self sufficient in cooling terms and utilises custom aluminium finned heatsinks on the top and bottom of the board. A low profile frame
92mm fan provides ample airflow while remaining effectively silent.

3) Configuration (top)
R-Boxes can be run using CGMiner or BFGMiner. A Windows based PC is recommended although a similar process can be applied on a Raspberry Pi.

Using CGMiner:
  • Download the latest version of CGMiner and Zadig.
  • Extract, and run the zadig application.
  • Select "CP21202 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and then click "Replace Driver". You only have to do this once per computer.
  • Create a new file in notepad and enter pool information as below. Save it as a .bat in the same folder as CGMiner.
  • Run the bat file to start mining.

Antpool
Code:
cgminer.exe -o stratum.antpool.com:3333 -u dogie_RockMiner -p 123
BTCGuild
Code:
cgminer.exe -o stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -u dogie_RockMiner -p 123
GHash IO
Code:
cgminer.exe -o us1.ghash.io:3333 -u dogie.RockMiner -p 123

Using BFGMiner:
  • **If you have previously installed drivers using Zadig as above, you will need to reverse this to use BFGMiner**.
  • Download the latest version of BFGMiner (Win64 version).
  • Create a new file in notepad and enter pool information as below. Save it as a .bat in the same folder as CGMiner.
  • Run the bat file to start mining.

Antpool
Code:
bfgminer.exe -o stratum.antpool.com:3333 -u dogie_RockMiner -p 123
BTCGuild
Code:
bfgminer.exe -o stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -u dogie_RockMiner -p 123
GHash IO
Code:
bfgminer.exe -o us1.ghash.io:3333 -u dogie.RockMiner -p 123

4) Troubleshooting (top)
TBD as problems arise.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

5) Where to buy (top)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

bfgminer is supporting rbox already?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

Not that I know of. Was a stray line, sorry.

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:15:12 PM

Not that I know of. Was a stray line, sorry.
LOL... stray... doggie... LOL
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

Great guide as usual!

I also really like the ~34 mb picture of the board...
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:16:21 PM

Thanks for the great guide, I know my customers will appreciate it.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 05:41:00 PM

Great guide as usual!

"Comcast hates him"

mstrongbow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

3D Printed!

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:29:07 PM

Great guide as usual!

"Comcast hates him"

I am designing 3d printed cases for the ATX breakout boards. Should have them ready within a day or so!

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
opieum2

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:50:58 PM

Self succulent cooling?  Must be tasty.... If you like eating steel and thermal paste Grin Shocked

"amtminers scam joshua zipkin scammer"
-Joshua Zipkin leaked skype chats http://bit.ly/1s7U2Yb
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
SpaceCadet

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Just mining my own business...

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:32:35 PM

• Edit cg.cmd in notepad and enter pool information as below. Do NOT remove the additional strings (--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --anu-freq 270).

I assume the equivalent .conf entry for the frequency would be:
"anu-freq" : "270",

The Rock site (somewhere) had "--rock-freq 270" in an example.  Are you sure "anu" is correct? (I'll probably try both anyway but thought others might have the question as well).  You also might note that 290 is the 'advertised' max freq the vendor recommends.

Thanks!
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:44:34 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2014, 12:35:54 AM by CrazyGuy

• Edit cg.cmd in notepad and enter pool information as below. Do NOT remove the additional strings (--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --anu-freq 270).

I assume the equivalent .conf entry for the frequency would be:
"anu-freq" : "270",

The Rock site (somewhere) had "--rock-freq 270" in an example.  Are you sure "anu" is correct? (I'll probably try both anyway but thought others might have the question as well).  You also might note that 290 is the 'advertised' max freq the vendor recommends.

Thanks!

That part of the doc is inaccurate, the parameter used is anu-freq. For those of you using Rockminer's 4.3.3 windows build, you may also notice that it defaults to 270 no matter what setting you use. I've rebuilt the binary with the latest 4.3.3 code and that resolves the issue. If you're looking for an end to end simple installer for Windows, I have built one using the WIX toolset:

Windows Installer

Another great guide dogie!

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
SpaceCadet

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:59:08 PM

That part of the doc is inaccurate, the parameter used is anu-freq. For those of you using Rockminer's 4.3.3 windows build, you may also notice that it defaults to 270 no matter what setting you use. I've rebuilt the binary with the latest 4.3.3 code and that resolves the issue. If you're looking for an end to end simple installer for Windows, I have built one using the WIX toolset:

https://mega.co.nz/#fm/l8dWTbC

I noticed that. The link only takes me to my mega account (or to the login screen if I'm not already logged in).
CrazyGuy
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:02:44 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2014, 12:39:29 AM by CrazyGuy

Windows Installer

I noticed that. The link only takes me to my mega account (or to the login screen if I'm not already logged in).

Sorry, link was truncated

Windows Installer

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 12:10:10 AM

https://mega.co.nz/#F!V8UlXSqQ!NMdAQ0ci0qQru98dF3ROHA

Fixed: http://goo.gl/zbDYjG

I don't talk about overclocking on these ones as the product is already at the part of the power curve where any higher power consumption makes it ridiculous. We should really talk about underclocking.

SpaceCadet

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:10:55 AM

Got it. thanks!
CrazyGuy
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:37:58 AM

https://mega.co.nz/#F!V8UlXSqQ!NMdAQ0ci0qQru98dF3ROHA

Fixed: http://goo.gl/zbDYjG

I don't talk about overclocking on these ones as the product is already at the part of the power curve where any higher power consumption makes it ridiculous. We should really talk about underclocking.

Officially, they support 270-290, which gives the range of 32gh/s to 37gh/s. I wouldn't recommend going over 290 clock rate but I think I read about someone underclocking to 200.

Raptor2213

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 11:58:00 PM

Having trouble getting these to work in Windows 7.  

I followed the direction at https://github.com/rockminerinc/cgminer-for-R-BOX/blob/master/handbook.md

When I plug them in, they're detected as a USB device, as expected.  I tried replacing the drivers with zadig_xp_2.1.0, zadig_v2.0.1.161, and zadig_v2.0.1.162.  Regardless which one I use, the drivers are installed, and they show up as USB devices, however, CGminer isn't finding them.  
Tried both the included cgminer win0.3.1 and cgminer 4.3.4.  
When I use the option "--rock-freq 270", I get the error, "Unrecognized option: --rock-freq 270".  I tried replacing that with "--anu-freq 270", and I don't get an error, but it still does not detect them.

I do note that Zadig detectes them as CP2102, not CP21202, as the guide suggests.  
I have previously used BFGminer on this machine with the appropriate drivers.

Update: Tried CrazyGuy's install - just sits there on "Started cgminer 4.3.3", and eventually starts with no devices.

Did something I say help you out?    BTC - 18oTipf66z8dbwTgRCiPjbdPmqEP7zuCFb
Raptor2213

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:14:04 AM

I followed the direction at https://github.com/rockminerinc/cgminer-for-R-BOX/blob/master/handbook.md

When I plug them in, they're detected as a USB device, as expected.  I tried replacing the drivers with zadig_xp_2.1.0, zadig_v2.0.1.161, and zadig_v2.0.1.162.  Regardless which one I use, the drivers are installed, and they show up as USB devices, however, CGminer isn't finding them.  
When I use the option "--rock-freq 270", I get the error, "Unrecognized option: --rock-freq 270".  I tried replacing that with "--anu-freq 270", and I don't get an error, but it still does not detect them.

I do note that Zadig detectes them as CP2102, not CP21202, as the guide suggests.  

Update: Tried CrazyGuy's install - just sits there on "Started cgminer 4.3.3", and eventually starts with no devices.

Got it working.  No idea what was wrong, but I unplugged the USB cables, moved them over to two other ports, and reseated the power cables - started working.

CrazyGuy
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:57:10 AM

Got it working.  No idea what was wrong, but I unplugged the USB cables, moved them over to two other ports, and reseated the power cables - started working.

Sometimes you need to re-plug in a device when installing Winusb after FTDI. Your best bet if switching to cgminer is to completely uninstall FTDI drivers in device manager.

Raptor2213

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:44:22 AM

Guide says to use:
Code:
--anu-freq 270

This should be amended to:
Code:
--rmu-freq 270

You can see the freq in the top.  If you use AMU, nothing changes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: