Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:11:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 [610] 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984377 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
martismartis
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:41:59 AM

glad to see the guides are helping Smiley

Ya it's same as bitcoin using wallet file.

Ya it's nis using all the ram. If you want I can give you an IP address to connect to a remote nis. You won't have to run nis locally or ever have to download the blockchain. Always fully synced

Are you running NIS as well? We give the server (NIS) at least 512 MB of ram.

Yeah, the laptop I was using was a bit underpowered since it only had 1 GB RAM. Since it was 32-bit, I had to use the standalone client which kept saying that NIS wasn't running despite following the instructions. Fortunately, I also had a 64 bit laptop running Windows 8 and 2 GB of memory at hand so I was able to boot that up and download the installer and the rest was pretty easy.

Only one more step left and that's to send my NEMstake. But before I do that, my NXT client needs to be synced. Hopefully this part shouldn't take too long.

To speed up blockchain download, go to www.peerexplorer.com and download zip of the latest database snapshot (bottom right part of page). Then unzip database to NRS/nxt_db and start NRS client.
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:48:36 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2015, 10:43:13 AM by Bizmark13

Ya it's nis using all the ram. If you want I can give you an IP address to connect to a remote nis. You won't have to run nis locally or ever have to download the blockchain. Always fully synced

Yeah, the laptop I was using was a bit underpowered since it only had 1 GB RAM. Since it was 32-bit, I had to use the standalone client which kept saying that NIS wasn't running despite following the instructions. Fortunately, I also had a 64 bit laptop running Windows 8 and 2 GB of memory at hand so I was able to boot that up and download the installer and the rest was pretty easy.

Only one more step left and that's to send my NEMstake. But before I do that, my NXT client needs to be synced. Hopefully this part shouldn't take too long.

To speed up blockchain download, go to www.peerexplorer.com and download zip of the latest database snapshot (bottom right part of page). Then unzip database to NRS/nxt_db and start NRS client.

Unfortunately, I tried that method but it didn't work. I downloaded the 380 MB zip file yesterday but every time I tried to copy it into my nxt_db folder (or more specifically, C:\Users\Bizmark13\AppData\Local\Nxt Wallet\nxt\nxt_db), the NXT client refused to continue and shut itself down. Now I'm downloading the blockchain via the client and it's slow but it should be finished soon. It's currently at 9 April 2014 and continuing to download at a rate of about a month per hour or two.

EDIT: Turns out I was using the wrong version! Problem has been fixed.
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:52:45 AM

Unfortunately, I tried that method but it didn't work. I downloaded the 380 MB zip file yesterday but every time I tried to copy it into my nxt_db folder (or more specifically, C:\Users\Bizmark13\AppData\Local\Nxt Wallet\nxt\nxt_db), the NXT client refused to continue and shut itself down. Now I'm downloading the blockchain via the client and it's slow but it should be finished soon. It's currently at 9 April 2014 and continuing to download at a rate of about a month per hour or two.

maybe try on NEM client Cheesy

IOTA
starfishi

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:01:38 AM

maybe try on NEM client Cheesy

Haha, Nxt here, or Nem there, whats the difference . . .  Smiley

coingirl87

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:09:05 AM

@ devs: what will happen with all the stakes which miss the deadline on AE?

They will be lost, so hopefully no one misses the deadline!

Yes i know but what will happen with the xemcoins of this stakes?
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:15:31 AM

@ devs: what will happen with all the stakes which miss the deadline on AE?

They will be lost, so hopefully no one misses the deadline!

Yes i know but what will happen with the xemcoins of this stakes?

https://forum.nemcoin.com/general-discussion/proposed-usage-for-unclaimed-socks/

mixmaster

Activity: 388

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:47:00 AM

[...] what is meant by the word "password" in the box below? When creating an address, does the password equal the same thing as NXT's passphrase (which should be very complex) or Bitcoin's wallet encryption password (which can be simple)? I'm guessing it's the latter, right?

NEM uses wallet files like Bitcoin, so your private key is saved in the wallet file, but of course encrypted. To decrypt it, you need the wallet password, which you choose in that picture you posted.

This means: Without your wallet file a hacker can't bruteforce your wallet password, so this is a more secure way compared to NXT's brainwallet system (assumed people take care of their wallet file and dont publish it).
This also means: To be really safe, your password should still be very strong, because if somebody is able to get your wallet file, a bruteforce attack will find weak passwords fast and then your funds are gone fast as well.

BUT: The wallet you create with the current NEM software for testnet (before launch) should not (maybe even can't) be used later after launch. So for now its not really important to have strong wallet passwords, but people should learn that strong passwords are very important to secure your funds after launch!

It cannot be said often or loud enough that you have to save your real account data (to be precise: the private key of your account which you use for redeeming your NEM stake) really secure. Don't save it unencrypted to your hard disk. Don't save it in cloud storages like Dropbox etc. Don't send it via email or any other channel which is not heavily encrypted and really safe (if you are not much into cryptography, just don't send your private key via ANY communication channel). If you are not sure how to handle it, try this tutorial: https://forum.nemcoin.com/tutorials/guide-creating-and-saving-real-account-data/
mixmaster

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=1440&iso=20150226T235959&msg=Deadline%20to%20redeem%20your%20NEMstake%20asset%20at%20NXT%20AE
Bizmark13

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 11:19:55 AM

Well, I just finished the redemption process. The whole thing took me 12 hours and I'm sure many others have also done the same tonight. Not sure if redemption will be extended again or if this is the final one but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess the only thing I have to do now is wait for the launch. Smiley

[...] what is meant by the word "password" in the box below? When creating an address, does the password equal the same thing as NXT's passphrase (which should be very complex) or Bitcoin's wallet encryption password (which can be simple)? I'm guessing it's the latter, right?

NEM uses wallet files like Bitcoin, so your private key is saved in the wallet file, but of course encrypted. To decrypt it, you need the wallet password, which you choose in that picture you posted.

This means: Without your wallet file a hacker can't bruteforce your wallet password, so this is a more secure way compared to NXT's brainwallet system (assumed people take care of their wallet file and dont publish it).
This also means: To be really safe, your password should still be very strong, because if somebody is able to get your wallet file, a bruteforce attack will find weak passwords fast and then your funds are gone fast as well.

BUT: The wallet you create with the current NEM software for testnet (before launch) should not (maybe even can't) be used later after launch. So for now its not really important to have strong wallet passwords, but people should learn that strong passwords are very important to secure your funds after launch!

It cannot be said often or loud enough that you have to save your real account data (to be precise: the private key of your account which you use for redeeming your NEM stake) really secure. Don't save it unencrypted to your hard disk. Don't save it in cloud storages like Dropbox etc. Don't send it via email or any other channel which is not heavily encrypted and really safe (if you are not much into cryptography, just don't send your private key via ANY communication channel). If you are not sure how to handle it, try this tutorial: https://forum.nemcoin.com/tutorials/guide-creating-and-saving-real-account-data/

I agree, and you've explained the whole thing very well. I knew NEM is based heavily on NXT so I thought it was possible that it was a NXT-style brainwallet/passphrase although the way its presented and the use of the word "password" instead of "passphrase" indicated that it was more likely not a NXT-style brainwallet/passphrase but rather a Bitcoin-style wallet encryption password.

However, I still think it's still true that a NXT passphrase, due to its design, requires a stronger degree of security than a typical Bitcoin wallet password. With a NXT passphrase, you have to assume that multiple attackers are attacking every single address in the network at once with very little cost whereas with a Bitcoin-style password, it's only a security risk if the wallet file falls into the wrong hands (e.g. if your laptop is stolen) and even then, your opponent is usually just a single person with a single computer.

Hence a 30-character passphrase composed of letters, numbers, symbols, etc. would be the bare minimum for a NXT passphrase whereas it would probably be more than enough for a Bitcoin password.
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:35:40 PM

Well, I just finished the redemption process. The whole thing took me 12 hours and I'm sure many others have also done the same tonight. Not sure if redemption will be extended again or if this is the final one but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess the only thing I have to do now is wait for the launch. Smiley

... I knew NEM is based heavily on NXT ...

Completely wrong. NEM isn't based on NXT at all. Maybe the same spirit but not a single line of code is shared.

mixmaster

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:58:06 PM

Completely wrong. NEM isn't based on NXT at all. Maybe the same spirit but not a single line of code is shared.
Dont be so harsh Wink

When NEM started (more than 1 year ago) the idea was to do something like NXT but without the disadvantages of NXT. But very soon it was decided to not use any source code from NXT and start from scratch.

Of course there are still a lot of ideas from NXT in NEM, as from Bitcoin and maybe other projects. For me NEM is the conglomeration of good ideas and features in one platform.
Bizmark13

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:21:04 PM

"Based" probably wasn't the best choice of word on my part since its meaning can be rather ambiguous - although perhaps not so in a software development context. I know NEM is completely new code. What I was meant to say was that its ideas, general characteristics, philosophy, etc. are mostly inspired by NXT.
Siegtal81

Activity: 334

Global Trans-Fee Mining Exchange

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:51:30 PM

I have transfer my NEM Stakes to NXT-97MX-EWKV-CGKX-DA5WH and i hope i do it correct with no mistakes.

jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:56:47 PM

Here I can sell nem stake or buy link??
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:00:36 PM

Here I can sell nem stake or buy link??

Do it on the NXT asset exchange, but I really don't know if anyone's still buying. The timing is very tight. I think it's all over tomorrow and then nemstakes are worthless.

If you want to buy NEM itself wait for it to appear on a normal exchange once it's launched.
MrPortMan

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

TEZOS

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:19:34 PM

Such question: We will have https://www.nembex.info or how analog of https://nxtblocks.info and https://blockchain.info, nxt and btc, respectively?

I think that https://www.nembex.info it will sound very coolly Smiley

Tezos address : KT1PPmJn9ZfVUSp6VDv92S7epKdZoU1cHV5f
Siegtal81

Activity: 334

Global Trans-Fee Mining Exchange

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:43:56 PM

i do not become an email to register my account on the official NEM Forum ...

nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:32:49 PM

Redemption over? I lost my friken passwords, its been such a long time? I still got a token in my messages?
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:05:30 PM

Redemption over? I lost my friken passwords, its been such a long time? I still got a token in my messages?

There is still time to sort out redemption woes I believe. Talk to patmast3r and see if he can help you out.

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
vonBerlichingen

Activity: 274

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:27:40 PM

On the Ides of March. Is NEM Jupiter or Caesar?

NEM tu, Brute?

Right. Page 666 now.
Pages: « 1 ... 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 [610] 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: