Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:46:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709800 times)
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:27:09 AM

Here's a $10usd fix for WiFi. Enough for two S3's. Drill one hole, instal pigtail and your done!!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP64JRG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_mIC0tb0EB06XKX3T

+1 ...Spot on... Grin
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mrpark

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:30:56 AM

Got mine yesterday.  One work fine at 449G per pool stat., but the other one is not working  Sad

Half of the ASIC was xxxxx.  I tried to change psu, cable, shutdown the one working and switch to this one (in case my new RM1000 is not working or not have capacity), reset it, change ethernet cable.  I even change the place 20 km apart!  Nothing work. 

I did show it got all 3 workers alive and the first one even get work (but discard them all).  Pool stat. said it was touched in 11 hours ago but not lately.  I double check the tailoring is the same (DHCP etc.) and hence it might not be mine.

(I did open the case see whether there is any thermal paste.  Nothing.  Hence not for that reason.)

Have to get back to Bitman for maintenance.  A bit disappointed.  6 S1 since April is all fine and hence may have too high expectation on its working.

Solved by install the firmware to get the "failover" menu (which the shipped one menu does not have it).  Did install 2 times as the first time preserve the settings does not work.  They are both 430G+.  Cheers!

Can you explain what the failover drop down does? It uses the other miner as a controller or something?

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
mrpark

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:33:50 AM

1) What's up with the Wifi options in the networking tab? Is this for potential wifi expansion? Was surprised when I seemed to be able to connect o my wifi network with them, but ya must have 'connected' just through my wired connections.  Anyways just want to make sure that there is no wifi right.

You need an antenna, but it has wifi built in.

Is the wifi set up the same as with the S1's?  I don't see this anywhere in the doc nor do is see the SME connector in the pics.  Just bought five S3s (batch 5) and have been running seven S1s on WiFi with absolutely no issues for months.  Thought I was going to have to hardwire for the S3s, but would love to avoid doing so, if possible/practical.  Is anyone actually running S3s on WiFi?  If so, are there any issues to be aware of?

I'm running one S3 on wifi and another hard wired, but that's because it can't get the signal strong enough for the wifi where it has to be located for the time being. The one running wifi isn't using an antennae.

So does the S3 have an SMA connector for an antenna?  It looks like this:

http://www.active-robots.com/right-angled-pcb-sma-connector

Yes but you have to open the case and keep it that way. They were too lazy/cheap to connect a pigtail.

i wonder if you could just drill a small hole

Hmmm...I know the case is critical to maintaining airflow / cooling, so I definitely don't want to take it off permanently.  Depending on where the SMA connector is positioned, I might just try to drill a hole (probably not so small) in one, connect an antenna and see what happens to the temps.  If anyone has a pic or can describe the position of the SMA connector, that would be very helpful. For example, is it in the same place as on the S1s?  Thanks in advance.

Dumb question, but why would adding an antenna change the temps? Or do you mean drilling holes in the case will cool it better?

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
dsheaffer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:37:06 AM

1) What's up with the Wifi options in the networking tab? Is this for potential wifi expansion? Was surprised when I seemed to be able to connect o my wifi network with them, but ya must have 'connected' just through my wired connections.  Anyways just want to make sure that there is no wifi right.

Is the wifi set up the same as with the S1's?  I don't see this anywhere in the doc nor do is see the SME connector in the pics.  Just bought five S3s (batch 5) and have been running seven S1s on WiFi with absolutely no issues for months.  Thought I was going to have to hardwire for the S3s, but would love to avoid doing so, if possible/practical.  Is anyone actually running S3s on WiFi?  If so, are there any issues to be aware of?

I'm running one S3 on wifi and another hard wired, but that's because it can't get the signal strong enough for the wifi where it has to be located for the time being. The one running wifi isn't using an antennae.

Yes but you have to open the case and keep it that way. They were too lazy/cheap to connect a pigtail.

Hmmm...I know the case is critical to maintaining airflow / cooling, so I definitely don't want to take it off permanently.  Depending on where the SMA connector is positioned, I might just try to drill a hole (probably not so small) in one, connect an antenna and see what happens to the temps.  If anyone has a pic or can describe the position of the SMA connector, that would be very helpful. For example, is it in the same place as on the S1s?  Thanks in advance.

Dumb question, but why would adding an antenna change the temps? Or do you mean drilling holes in the case will cool it better?

No...my concern is that drilling a hole in the case for an antenna will disrupt the airflow and INCREASE temps.
ZiG

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:45:17 AM

No...my concern is that drilling a hole in the case for an antenna will disrupt the airflow and INCREASE temps.

The hole will be FILLED with the Antenna body + screws...so NO hole will be left over after antenna's installation...Capisco... Grin

Sometimes obvious things are a LITTLE bit hard to grasp...right... Wink

ZiG
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:45:45 AM

It won't.

This is the control board. The U.FL connector is on the top right corner of the blue board. The Green board is the bit which the RJ45 socket and lights are mounted on, and sits above the actual hashing boards. Drill an extra hole near (but not too close to) the existing holes on the fan plate and mount it there, or if you're feeling squeamish about drilling that nice pretty case Tongue just peel off the sticker on the far end and make up a blank plate out of some card and mount the RP-SMA socket there instead.

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:57:06 AM

Is it just me or does the units that actually handle OC seem to be very good units, the 2 I've found so far takes 250Mhz without breaking a sweat Oo
Same here for 1 of them, but after 24 hours the 250MHz one gradually goes down to similar hash rate as the other at stock frequency.  Decided to leave them at 218.75 for now.

Cheers
CryptoGuy

Activity: 524

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:07:29 AM

Ha, I had 35-40 laptop antenna's I threw out a few months ago when I moved. Oh well, anyone who has access to an old scrap laptop could pull one out of there.

<Insert favorite coin here>
WheresWaldo

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:59:49 AM

It most likely will not. These cases are not pressure optimized so I'm sure there is air escaping already?

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
ZiG

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:03:31 AM

It most likely will not. These cases are not pressure optimized so I'm sure there is air escaping already?

OK...let's see how many pages we could fill with dump nonsense...continue, please... Grin

ZiG

EDIT...: Obviously drilling a hole and installing a WiFi antenna is NOT changing the thermals / cooling of S3... OK... Grin
WheresWaldo

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:46:05 AM

OK...let's see how many pages we could fill with dump nonsense...continue, please... Grin

ZiG

EDIT...: Obviously drilling a hole and installing a WiFi antenna is NOT changing the thermals / cooling of S3... OK... Grin

"dump nonsense" as in your grammar?

a 1cm hole in this shroud will have no effect on a case that is not pressure optimize.
Do you know how positive and negative pressure works.
There are no gaskets on this case to seal anywhere to help with pressure, it is just air passing through it with high CFM.
Please don't insult other people when you are the one full of "dump nonsense"

You have to be clueless to think 1 cm hole in a NON-pressure optimized case will do more than a few degrees changing "the thermals / cooling of S3... OK... Grin"...

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:01:29 AM

ZiG

"dump nonsense" as in your grammar?

a 1cm hole in this shroud will have no effect on a case that is not pressure optimize.
Do you know how positive and negative pressure works.
There are no gaskets on this case to seal anywhere to help with pressure, it is just air passing through it with high CFM.
Please don't insult other people when you are the one full of "dump nonsense"

You have to be clueless to think 1 cm hole in a NON-pressure optimized case will do more than a few degrees changing "the thermals / cooling of S3... OK... Grin"...

While we're on this long page of quotes, anyone tried submerging one of these in oil to cool them yet?

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 06:05:26 AM

Hey,

Does anyone know if its possible to monitor your ants from another location?

I'm going on holiday soon and I wanna be able to monitor them.

I know about team viewer, and that is one option, but that means leaving my PC on the whole time.

Thanks

Duce

Activity: 175

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:10:47 AM

The new Firmware is up https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633
Quote "No beeper altert when there is no immediate hashing work. During the normal mining, Green LED is always on. If there is no immediate hashing work for 1 second, the Green LED will turn off. If it lasts more than 1 minute without hashing work, green LED is kept off and beeper rings"
oskuro

Activity: 294
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 07:06:00 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2014, 07:26:45 AM by oskuro

Data after 11 hours running both S3(one has higher GH/s than the other one, didnt try to OC):

should i use latest firmware? yeah i have those famous BEEPS also every hour i think

How do i know my current firmware?? I just found this:

Firmware Version   OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r38031 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9909)
Kernel Version   3.10.12

i will flash first the lower GH/s antminer and lets see what happens

edit: wow now GH/s is higher 439,90 GH/s. lets see in a few hours
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:25:30 AM

Lots of people got their coupons, but has ANYONE received their refund? I got the auto email response for querying the Bitmain website a day ago but no refund yet.

As you see Bitamin is pretty busy with B4 orders. I am sure that we will receive our refunds, you need to be patient  Wink
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:33:47 AM

Is the wifi set up the same as with the S1's?  I don't see this anywhere in the doc nor do is see the SME connector in the pics.  Just bought five S3s (batch 5) and have been running seven S1s on WiFi with absolutely no issues for months.  Thought I was going to have to hardwire for the S3s, but would love to avoid doing so, if possible/practical.  Is anyone actually running S3s on WiFi?  If so, are there any issues to be aware of?

Hmmm...I know the case is critical to maintaining airflow / cooling, so I definitely don't want to take it off permanently.  Depending on where the SMA connector is positioned, I might just try to drill a hole (probably not so small) in one, connect an antenna and see what happens to the temps.  If anyone has a pic or can describe the position of the SMA connector, that would be very helpful. For example, is it in the same place as on the S1s?  Thanks in advance.

There is another option if you need wifi. Just use wifi extender with a Ethernet connector in. Like this one: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=1247&model=TL-WA850RE
vulgartrendkill

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 08:36:10 AM

Both my Ants connect to my wifi no problem. Are people having issues due to the ants being far away from the router?

Activity: 207
Merit: 112

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:42:03 AM

So i was just taking a look at the cgminer process on the S3.

855 root     33840 R    cgminer --bitmain-options 115200:32:8:18:218.75:1106 -o stratum+tcp://xxx.xxxxxxxx.xxx:3333 -O xxxx.xxxx:x -o stratum+tcp://xxx.xxxxxxx.xxx:3333 -O xxxxx.xxxxxxx:x --api-listen --api-network --bitmain-checkn2diff --bitmain-hwerror --queue 4096

I'm mostly interested in the --queue 4096. Most pools tell their miners to set the queue to 0 or 1.

Thoughts?

Bakal

Activity: 245

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:58:26 AM

^^ sorry to ask this, but S3 has wifi?

thank you.

Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: