Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:01:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 [952] 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312380 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 12:52:37 AM

Botnets are raping Monero. So far I can account for 11MH/s of botnet hash (almost 50%). The hash is spread across 17 wallets. I'll be willing to share my sources for 1btc - escrow accepted.

Sweet! Thanks for securing the network, botnets!
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 01:14:24 AM

wow...
no wonder you bought into monero, ur so full of clue...

What is very important to know is that the RPC calls are NOT password protected.

this dude shows that he cannot even comprehend a text and get the points out of it. He only reads "coins were stolen" and that is his buzzword to ride all day on it.

ELI5 for you noobtraderthathasnoclue

If you put password 123 you don´t have to wonder an account is taken... in this case if you bind ip and port and don´t close that port for incoming traffic from the outside it is your fault

pls learn to read

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL SERVICE PROVIDERS:

I basically hacked cryptonic.net today as I was able to get their wallet seed and transfer out 2380 XMR. I will of course return the funds to the owner, the only reason I transferred them out is to safe keep them from other potential attackers.

This is something that has been worrying me for a while, but it was only today after receiving a PM from a guy asking for help that I decided to go through the effort. I scanned the monero network, a total of 318 IP's on port 18082. I found 2 matches, and only 1 that I was able to attack. But there could be more vulnerable services out there running on different ports.

When you're running the wallet in rpc mode (you can do that by binding the port) for example like this:
Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file mywallet.dat --password demo123 --rpc-bind-port 18082

Your wallet will be able to respond to RPC calls. What is very important to know is that the RPC calls are NOT password protected. The password I specified in my example (demo123) only protects the wallet. Once the wallet is running as rpc server it will accept incoming calls. Therefore your port 18082 MUST BE CLOSED (or whatever port you use to run the wallet server). This way you can only access the RPC from localhost.

The RPC has calls like "query_key" where you can retrive view_key or the mnemonic seed. That's what I used, but I could also have used commands like "transfer" to take the funds.

This does not affect normal wallets, only if you run it in server mode like I explained above.

As of right now I'd advise people to wait with purchases on cryptonic until the owner has responded and secured his wallet.

It doesn't appear to be any major issue at the moment as I only found this 1 wallet vulnerable, but again I don't know how many are running servers on different ports and I think it's best this info is out in the open so admins can secure their wallets correctly. It's very simple, just make sure that the port you bind your wallet to is closed.

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
birr

Activity: 868
Merit: 584

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 09:50:24 AM

Twodollah twodollah twodollah
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 10:04:51 AM

wow...
no wonder you bought into monero, ur so full of clue...

Same happened to someone running an ETH node:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3ird55/holy_shit_my_eth_accounts_been_hacked/

Oh, and also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4atg0d/monero_rpc_no_password/d13io7e

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 12:03:26 PM

It only happens to coins that are used so dont worry will not happen to DASH.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 04:08:02 PM

Botnets are raping Monero. So far I can account for 11MH/s of botnet hash (almost 50%). The hash is spread across 17 wallets. I'll be willing to share my sources for 1btc - escrow accepted.

Why wouldnt they mine it, it happens to be a profitable coin for them to work with.  Try some other FUD angle, no one really cares about the botnets mining.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 06:36:27 PM

Back to the topic, speculation.
So what do you guys think, up or down from here? For me both are equally good.

sideways till the next BTC pump, then down and consolidation around 25

Thank you!
The volume is now pretty low.
Risto is not active here these days, promises of "soon coming" GUI are still in force however but nobody seems to care.
Price might actually drop. After rise when the volumes go down usually the price drops. And after dumps the drop of volumes is a bullish sign.
I think 25 is also a reasonable area to go... On the other hand, the whale might be planning to buy some large share of coins and waiting for the dump to come and then suddenly attack to the sellers.
It will be a great surprise of Monero is cabable to break the trading range of 0.001-0.004 with new higher trading range.
Currently I think Monero could take 0.03 (10 times higher price) IMO. And rising there will bring new members to the community and thus increase adaption.
Darkcoin community also seems not to have any urgency to join us since their coin is higher in the coinmarketcap.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 06:38:33 PM

Back to the topic, speculation.
So what do you guys think, up or down from here? For me both are equally good.

sideways till the next BTC pump, then down and consolidation around 25

TC, how can they be equally good when it's not going low enough for you to buy?  I know where it's going but I don't know the path from here.

s1gs3gv, when is the next btc pump?

If it goes down to my target I buy (perhaps if I have balls enough anymore).
If it goes up, I doubt it will go high enough I will bother to sell.

Therefore, I do not care if it goes up or down.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 07:05:07 PM

promises of "soon coming" GUI are still in force however but nobody seems to care.

If this is correct, the implication is that the GUI work has not been priced in by the market at this point.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 07:15:11 PM

Two Buck Chuck has shown some incredible persistence, but the volume has declined quite a bit so I think that there just isn't a lot of motivation to dump further or bid it up.  It is what is commonly known as a volatility squeeze and so far these have been resolved upward, with an impulsive move.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 07:33:47 PM

promises of "soon coming" GUI are still in force however but nobody seems to care.

If this is correct, the implication is that the GUI work has not been priced in by the market at this point.

They dont "seem to care"....yet.

Out of sight out of mind.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 07:36:48 PM

Two Buck Chuck has shown some incredible persistence, but the volume has declined quite a bit so I think that there just isn't a lot of motivation to dump further or bid it up.  It is what is commonly known as a volatility squeeze and so far these have been resolved upward, with an impulsive move.

I certainly support the price staying in this narrow range for as long as possible.

Build a base and then see what happens.

I foresee a global financial meltdown to start in the coming months and carry and echo through years to come.

in 2008 Bitcoin did not exist neither did Monero, so if they did back then how they exist now, any global financial woes would propel them higher.

The house of cards is falling down.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 08:56:58 PM

I certainly support the price staying in this narrow range for as long as possible.

I foresee a global financial meltdown to start in the coming months and carry and echo through years to come.

in 2008 Bitcoin did not exist neither did Monero, so if they did back then how they exist now, any global financial woes would propel them higher.

If someone wants more anonymity, they will choose Darkcoin instead I am afraid unless the marketcap will not exceed it and stay above it for ever.
I think the low volume is a sign nobody knows what to do and are waiting for some bigger movement up or down. After all, the support is in low 0.002's - there is pretty thin support around these levels.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 08:59:49 PM

That might be true... I think not many think GUI will be ready since it has been in the "soon"-list for 2 years already. We will see if it gets done, what kind of pump it will cause (or if there is no hype it will not cause a pump at all).
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 09:27:01 PM

If someone wants more anonymity, they will choose Darkcoin instead I am afraid unless the marketcap will not exceed it and stay above it for ever.
I think the low volume is a sign nobody knows what to do and are waiting for some bigger movement up or down. After all, the support is in low 0.002's - there is pretty thin support around these levels.

LOL @ "more anonymity"

What is your basis in a technical discussion to make such an astute assertion?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 09:28:39 PM

That might be true... I think not many think GUI will be ready since it has been in the "soon"-list for 2 years already. We will see if it gets done, what kind of pump it will cause (or if there is no hype it will not cause a pump at all).

The problem with this thinking is that the people who have seen this "soon" mantra for the GUI for 2 years are not the only people in the world who can and will take an interest in monero, should the time be right and fruitful and all the cards line up in the global financial world to cause people to run to other assets than fiat funny munny, monero will have a sunny day.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 10:07:31 PM

Darkcoin is non-anonymity. Given the ease of subbornment I would be amazed if the supernodes were not NSA pwned at this point.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 10:52:17 PM

LOL @ "more anonymity"

What is your basis in a technical discussion to make such an astute assertion?

If you are newbie to crypto (and not tech savy) you quite fast discover btc transactions are public, then you might look for an alternative and you go to coinmarketcap and see Darkcoin (and you hear it all over as well). That's the exact reason why Darkcoin will be picked instead of XMR, most people will not research fully and they are satisfied with easy solution.

Therefore it is crucial to have higher marketcapitalization than Darkcoin IMO so that Monero will be the easy solution.
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 10:53:03 PM

Darkcoin is non-anonymity. Given the ease of subbornment I would be amazed if the supernodes were not NSA pwned at this point.
Agreed. It would be nothing for a govt entity's budget to buy at least hundreds of master/supernodes. Any transaction that went through a series of nodes owned by that entity would allow the entity to trace the transaction. That's a lot of ongoing intel for the agency for a relatively small expenditure. People who use those coins in the hopes of remaining anonymous are playing russian roulette with their privacy.

It would be so much better for those users to use Monero since it's 100% decentralized and uses ring signatures to ensure privacy and untraceability. If you're going to use a privacy coin, use one that really works and isn't subject to entity infiltration by buying up centralized mixers.

I'd be shocked if a govt entity hasn't already done this with master/supernodes.  

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 11:04:54 PM

@smoothie check your signature, the YouTube video linked is no longer available.

Pages: « 1 ... 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 [952] 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: