Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:21:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 [962] 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 06:16:07 PM

If you have considered entering in margin long position with XMR but was not willing to take high bitcoin interest rates, now the rates have gone down a little offering very low annual bitcoin denominated cost for borrowing bitcoins for the purpose of buying bitcoins.
The annual rate is around 3-4 % only these days. Ladies and gentlemen, if you trust Monero will be higher within 1 year or so more than 3-4 % from the current levels, you might want to consider taking long positions. But be careful, make sure the estimated liquidation price is low enough so that you may not get liquadated at the bottom if there is a sharp flash crash. Therefore, buy some extra Moneros with real money, put them to margin account and start taking margin long positions. However, margin trading is risky but also if it plays right for you might be wealthy within 1 year, and the cost is only a few percentages.  Shocked

Can't lenders change rates after the lending period ends?

Yes, when the period ends and you have open loans, it will be refinanced with the lowest ask and the interest part will be paid to the lender.
Over all it seems bitcoin lenders are satisfied with pretty low interests these days when the inflation rate of bitcoin has dropped.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 07:52:31 PM

Looks like chinese cannot support 666 any longer! Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 09:22:10 PM

Almost and soon are the words that describes Monero perfectly.  Grin

(GUI is almost here and soon ready).
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2016, 11:07:08 PM by Dotto

.0018? This leg down is quite low in volume...

Im seeing more like .00249 floor and .00335 next leg up

Time to share your book. Where´s the local top this time?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 12:24:20 AM

.0018? This leg down is quite low in volume...

Im seeing more like .00249 floor and .00335 next leg up

Time to share your book. Where´s the local top this time?

Are you starting to talk to yourself? Grin
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 12:47:12 AM

I have no idea where the next top will be other than higher than the last one.  And at some point  Smiley Wink Cool

It seems ShapeShift has been down for a while and the price has been going up. Tongue

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:15:11 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2016, 01:28:54 AM by aminorex

For now:

Draw a straight line from the May 31 low through the July 20 low.  Below that rising line, I will buy.

Draw a straight line from the May 18 high through the July 10 high.  Above that rising line, I will sell.

I will guess that this rule will hold for at least a week if neither line is crossed in that time, maybe longer. The ramp is too steep to hold through August, though.  Past 340k the likelihood of a >10% correction rises quadratically as we approach 440k, and goes exponential, with increasing expected magnitude, thereafter.

All these numbers are intended to be very fuzzy.

I get the impression that, at this hash rate, miners on average tend to withhold their stock below $2.  Just a vague impression, mind you, and over the short term real-time miner sales are not very significant to price nowadays, since the total reward is only about 1% of exchange volume, and declining, but in the past, over weeks and months, the then-prevailing miner preference level has been a pretty significant price-attractor.

If I had a clever way to raise hash rates, I certainly would.  Obviously, I don't.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 01:46:30 AM

For now:

Draw a straight line from the May 31 low through the July 20 low.  Below that rising line, I will buy.

Draw a straight line from the May 18 high through the July 10 high.  Above that rising line, I will sell.

I will guess that this rule will hold for at least a week if neither line is crossed in that time, maybe longer. The ramp is too steep to hold through August, though.  Past 340k the likelihood of a >10% correction rises quadratically as we approach 440k, and goes exponential, with increasing expected magnitude, thereafter.

I get the impression that, at this hash rate, miners on average tend to withhold their stock below $2.  Just a vague impression, mind you, and over the short term real-time miner sales are not very significant to price nowadays, since the total reward is only about 1% of exchange volume, and declining, but in the past, over weeks and months, the then-prevailing miner preference level has been a pretty significant price-attractor.

If I had a clever way to raise hash rates, I certainly would.  Obviously, I don't.

This isn't monkey talk.  Where's monkey?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 04:50:20 AM

http://forklog.net/exante-winklevoss-brothers-etf-to-skyrocket-bitcoin-price/

Monero mentioned !

"FL: Your fund was launched a few years ago. How many cryptocurrencies have entered the market during these years? Do you invest in anything, besides bitcoin?

AK: Yes, the other cryptocurrencies, such as Litecoin, have appeared after the first bitcoin “boom”. Their number was rising, but, to tell the truth, we were not interested in it at all. It was funny. It was something like pump-and-dump scheme. Technologically, we were only interested in Ethereum, yet we did not invest. Actually, after a more detailed assessment, I am in doubt that we will. We are also interested in Monero. Its creators, at least, have made a technologically real great thing that makes this project more valuable when compared to bitcoin. We like it. That’s all I guess."

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 06:14:11 PM

http://forklog.net/exante-winklevoss-brothers-etf-to-skyrocket-bitcoin-price/

Monero mentioned !

"FL: Your fund was launched a few years ago. How many cryptocurrencies have entered the market during these years? Do you invest in anything, besides bitcoin?

AK: Yes, the other cryptocurrencies, such as Litecoin, have appeared after the first bitcoin “boom”. Their number was rising, but, to tell the truth, we were not interested in it at all. It was funny. It was something like pump-and-dump scheme. Technologically, we were only interested in Ethereum, yet we did not invest. Actually, after a more detailed assessment, I am in doubt that we will. We are also interested in Monero. Its creators, at least, have made a technologically real great thing that makes this project more valuable when compared to bitcoin. We like it. That’s all I guess."

I hope their interest in Monero turns to investment into Monero.
I think, the marketcap needs boost to become lucrative in the eyes of people. Now marketcap is smaller than the marketcap of many small cap company's marketcap - and this is supposed to be a world reserve currency...
birr

Activity: 868
Merit: 584

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 06:28:44 PM

You have to walk before you can run, and you have to crawl before you can walk.
r.o.o.t

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

http://github.com/root8/fsigDecredGUI

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 07:06:50 PM

It seems like somebody heard about Vinklevoss brothers already, price is 3% up while all other crypto taking a dive.
Probably a good time to invest while XMR is still cheap !

..-- ▰▰ DECRED.ORG ▰▰ --..
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 08:15:40 PM

It seems like somebody heard about Vinklevoss brothers already, price is 3% up while all other crypto taking a dive.

FOMOXRMOXYMORON
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 08:19:21 PM

Ít is not a reason to go all in XMR if Peter Todd or someone else says nice complements on XMR.
If Wall Street Journal writes they have bought in, it is more bullish (or they are going to buy - and obviously this kind of news you cannot read), it is bullish.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 10:26:56 PM

For now:

Given this wide margin and the tightness of Monero trading range it is pretty unlikely you will be able to trade much. Also, why would you sell if the price rises beyond the line? Isn't it a potential breakthrough and the start of new period of higher growth?
On the other hand, why would you buy a coin that is dumping, isn't it potential start of bearish cycle?

-------------------------

My speculation: I am slightly bullish... We will see if Monero can reach 0.003... The trading volume is low now (been it pretty much since 2014).
2016 is a year of results, but we will see if it is possible to get a nice uptrend this year. Still the charts are bearish if you look them from ATH.
The current community very unlikely can drive the price up - investments are needed outside and the outreach should take place. Unfortunately Peter Todd is not the person I am refering to. Some big names would be beneficial for Monero (a billionaire from Forbes for instance etc.).
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2016, 10:50:56 PM

You sound very wistful.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 11:28:22 PM

You sound very wistful.

Yes. You never know when Aminorex mentions the famous words: "I am bullish".  Grin
There is pretty much 2 directions: up or down. Steady is only for short term a possibility. Mostly Monero has gone down and if you take the chart from the beginning you see these rises look just dead cat bounces compared with the peak in the beginning.
For your comfort, the same pattern is repeated almost in every alt (Etherium might be an expection), but I am not sure if the comparison will help. Let's say, I believe once I see.  Cheesy I own  Moneros and sure it is in my best interest to pump it to the skies but I am not sure if it is possible to drive it even beyond ATH not to mentioning the Moon TM.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 01:07:31 AM

Given this wide margin and the tightness of Monero trading range it is pretty unlikely you will be able to trade much. Also, why would you sell if the price rises beyond the line? Isn't it a potential breakthrough and the start of new period of higher growth?
On the other hand, why would you buy a coin that is dumping, isn't it potential start of bearish cycle?

-------------------------

My speculation: I am slightly bullish... We will see if Monero can reach 0.003... The trading volume is low now (been it pretty much since 2014).
2016 is a year of results, but we will see if it is possible to get a nice uptrend this year. Still the charts are bearish if you look them from ATH.
The current community very unlikely can drive the price up - investments are needed outside and the outreach should take place. Unfortunately Peter Todd is not the person I am refering to. Some big names would be beneficial for Monero (a billionaire from Forbes for instance etc.).

I would not place much weight on on the early ATH in 2014 because of the change in market capitalization, https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/#charts. One cannot simply extrapolate technical analysis from stocks (where price follows market capitalization) to a POW crypto - currency during its first two years. There are critical aspects of technical analysis that break down in such an extrapolation. My take is that 0.0043 XBT is a critical resistance point here. As for the 2014 ATH, I am not sure at all.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
needmoney90

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 05:17:55 PM

Wow, this thread made it to page 3 with all the ETH threads cropping up in the past couple days. I don't think I've ever seen it so far down. Markets aren't doing much, but they will be....Soon.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 06:32:33 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2016, 06:59:52 PM by ArticMine

Wow, this thread made it to page 3 with all the ETH threads cropping up in the past couple days. I don't think I've ever seen it so far down. Markets aren't doing much, but they will be....Soon.

This is hardly surprising. What has recently occurred in Ethereum forking a coin in order to reverse transactions has shaken the crypto  currency scene to its very foundations, going all the way back to the original Bitcoin whitepaper. I responded to this in one of the many Ethereum threads.

But it's not good for cryptocurrency as a whole.  It could (arguably) even hold Bitcoin back.  The uncertainty caused by Buterin could hurt us all as supporters whether you're a developer, researcher, entrepreneur or speculator.

I agree. This sets a precedent that reaches all the way back to: Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System by Satoshi Nakamoto https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf. To understand why I am quoting the introduction to the above paper:

1. Introduction

Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the trust based model. Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions, and there is a broader cost in the loss of ability to make non-reversible payments for non-reversible services. With the possibility of reversal, the need for trust spreads. Merchants must be wary of their customers, hassling them for more information than they would otherwise need.

A certain percentage of fraud is accepted as unavoidable. These costs and payment uncertainties can be avoided in person by using physical currency, but no mechanism exists to make payments over a communications channel without a trusted party. What is needed is an electronic payment system based on cryptographic proof instead of trust, allowing any two willing parties to transact directly with each other without the need for a trusted third  party. Transactions that are computationally impractical to reverse would protect sellers from fraud, and routine escrow mechanisms could easily be implemented to protect buyers. In this paper, we propose a solution to the double-spending problem using a peer-to-peer distributed timestamp server to generate computational proof of the chronological order of transactions. The system is secure as long as honest nodes collectively control more CPU power than any cooperating group of attacker nodes.

The implications of this for Monero are profound, since this kind of hard fork would be virtually impossible to pull of in Monero. In the case of Monero  the censor is effectively blinded. On the other hand any time locked transaction in a  transparent  blockchain is vulnerable. Also coins under the control of someone who is  prevented from moving those coins are also highly vulnerable to this kind of reversal attack. What makes this attack so significant is that it actually proves Satoshi Nakamoto incorrect. A decentralized proof of work blockchain is not enough to prevent the reversal of transactions, since in this case the attack was carried out by persuasion. Ethereum does not have a serious miner concentration issue, in fact it has one of the highest degrees of miner decentralization among POW crypto currencies.

I urge the reader to  read Satoshi Nakamoto's paper again to understand why Bitcoin was created in the first place. Then one can understand why this Ethereum fork is so profound.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 ... 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 [962] 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: