Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:55:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 [950] 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312380 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 06:21:24 AM

GUI priced-in already?

I suspect it mostly has not been priced in yet. Most people don't even know what monero is, let alone know to look for GOOEY.

Lots of people have heard of Ethereum but only because of the price and its infamous DAO shit-fest.

Monero is still in the accumulation phase.

I hope you're right, but a tempered mind is a prepared mind. The other factors will help grow a permanent base of users, which is much more important for future growth--though there should be some tremors of interest (all meanings apply) in the meantime.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:02:13 AM

Community input needed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4sx825/kovri_enduser_documentation_proposal_now_open_for/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 10:44:02 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 11:27:44 AM by nioc

Code:
The GUI is currently functional for sending and receiving, some stuff like advanced options have to be finished but if you guys want you can already try and compile it from ilya´s github.
Source

Do you think it will affect on the price? Demand need to be sourced from somewhere. Some bigger guys need to buy in to collect the loose coins from the weak hands.

Yes I do. I think there is a significant non-technical crowd we can cater to. People who have been stuck in less optimal coins such as dash. It will allow all the moon kids to jump on board. Perhaps not the best crowd to have on board you may say, but a small technical crowd like we have in monero just doesn't cut it. We want to grow big, but we are only so many. If we have learned anything from watching shitcoins, it's that there is power in numbers, a swarm of people can spread the word a lot faster and bring the price up a lot higher than a few monero whales can. I hate to be the guy to say this, but the moon kids can actually serve a purpose if we want the attention we deserve. I am tired of monero, the best coin when it comes to anonymity, being consistently ignored by big voices in this space. I think the GUI can change that, as a step towards mass adoption.

There's a second reason I think it will affect the price and that's getting monero out of the exchanges. Very many have left their moneroj on the exchange because they're not comfortable with cli. Trust me, it's a lot easier to dump when all you have to do is click sell versus digging the coins out from cold storage. This will result in less selling pressure.

That video you linked to shows that AA is either irritated with people pushing monero...or has a conflict of interest.

Funny thing is the guy pushes bitcoin all day long......hypocrite much?

I don't know if it's true but somebody mentioned, I believe on reddit, that AA is invested in Zcash.

Does anybody know the answer to the age old question, Is it true?
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 12:53:28 PM

I don't know if it's true but somebody mentioned, I believe on reddit, that AA is invested in Zcash.

Never heard about zcash and aa, but aa is known eth investor and supporter. Maybe they meant eth, rather than zcash?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:18:05 PM

Never heard about zcash and aa, but aa is known eth investor and supporter. Maybe they meant eth, rather than zcash?

That was me you quoted Smiley

I heard one mention about AA & zcash recently from somebody on reddit so I don't know if it's valid hence my question.

In that video right after he dismisses the Monero questions he starts answering DAO questions which are obviously related to eth so....
fiscorcle

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:24:31 PM

i've bought in and sold off to monero so many times that i'm loosing the track why monero is so popular in particular 'seasons' when it's pumped and dumped, it has no such real-life purpose as compared to bitcoin, it's so anti-user-friendly that in my pinion most users hold/trade their moneros off exchanges, for me monero is only good for trading...that's all.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:40:38 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 03:14:16 PM by Febo

I heard one mention about AA & zcash recently from somebody on reddit so I don't know if it's valid hence my question.

In that video right after he dismisses the Monero questions he starts answering DAO questions which are obviously related to eth so....

Of course he was answering DAO question if podcast was made right after DAO hack and was about DAO hack and how ETH will answer on it.  Why would he talk or answer on any other question beside about DAO or ETH?   He should of course not make fun of his listeners, but that is another question.

On generally on Lets Talk Bitcoin podcasting platform i saw only few podcast at least half of it dedicated to Monero. And most are 2 years old. In few others was mention briefly. Why is so i am not sure. Or Monero is not so interesting or is to hard to understand for them or they do mainly what coin marketers suggest them.  
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:41:40 PM

i've bought in and sold off to monero so many times that i'm loosing the track why monero is so popular in particular 'seasons' when it's pumped and dumped, it has no such real-life purpose as compared to bitcoin, it's so anti-user-friendly that in my pinion most users hold/trade their moneros off exchanges, for me monero is only good for trading...that's all.

i think you were wrong...

i speculate that monero is not good for anything, it has perpetual coin emission which reduce its value that todays 1 xmr  =/=    monero value @ year 2022.
because if we check 1 bitcoin value it will always ==  1 / total.coin(21 M), compared to monero which 1 monero ==  1  / total.coin++(M = 264 - 1 PLUS eternal subsidy forever)  

which mean if you were holding xmr then the coin value will be reduced eternally forever because the total number of coin is also increased eternally forevaaaaaaaa.     Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:44:38 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 03:06:15 PM by TrueCryptonaire

I never recommend people to be all in or all out when it comes to investing (investing in this context means investing in a project that has good people and has some sort of opportunity to succeed).
If the userfriendliness is the only reason that prevents Monero to become popular I think Monero is a good investment then since that is a trivial to fix (= it will be user friendly sooner or later).
However, I see the weakness being that there is no pumping and hype going on with XMR. Only the hype and pumping will create the userbase. Hype creates a positive loop: it rises the price which encourages even more hype and finally the masses are following Monero like a members in some sort of cult.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:56:40 PM

Thank you for the liquidity you provide.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:11:22 PM

i speculate that monero is not good for anything, it has perpetual coin emission which reduce its value that todays 1 xmr  =/=    monero value @ year 2022.
because if we check 1 bitcoin value it will always ==  1 / total.coin(21 M), compared to monero which 1 monero ==  1  / total.coin++(M = 264 - 1 PLUS eternal subsidy forever)  

which mean if you were holding xmr then the coin value will be reduced eternally forever because the total number of coin is also increased eternally forevaaaaaaaa.     Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

The tail emission in Monero, which is under 1% and is simple not compounded, is a very small price to pay in order to have a coin that can scale to meet the market demand for transactions. By the way the inflation rate in Monero will be below the historical inflation rate for gold, and gold is considered the time tested "gold standard" for hard money that retains its value over time.  

Edit: Trying to be better than gold in the eyes of Austrian economics is proving to be a serious design flaw of Bitcoin.   

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:23:50 PM

i speculate that monero is not good for anything, it has perpetual coin emission which reduce its value that todays 1 xmr  =/=    monero value @ year 2022.

The tail emission in Monero, which is under 1% and is simple not compounded, is a very small price to pay in order to have a coin that can scale to meet the market demand for transactions. By the way the inflation rate in Monero will be below the historical inflation rate for gold, and gold is considered the time tested "gold standard" for hard money that retains its value over time.  

Edit: Trying to be better than gold in the eyes of Austrian economics is proving to be a serious design flaw of Bitcoin.   

how come it was design flaw for bitcoin Huh

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:35:31 PM

... because it has led to Bitcoin having a fixed 1 MB blocksize that has stunted Bitcoin's growth. Monero overcomes this with an adaptive blocksize that allows for growth to meet the market demand for transactions; however the  adaptive blocksize in Monero requires a tail emission to ensure that the miners have an incentive to secure the coin, since it is based on a miner penalty that is applied to the base reward. Fees alone cannot be used since fees are used to scale the blocksize by overcoming the base reward penalty.  

Edit: Even without scaling it is very unclear that a "fee market: can develop in Bitcoin to secure Bitcoin one the base reward runs out.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:41:44 PM

... because it has led to Bitcoin having a fixed 1 MB blocksize that has stunted Bitcoin's growth. Monero overcomes this with an adaptive blocksize that allows for growth to meet the market demand for transactions; however the  adaptive blocksize in Monero requires a tail emission to ensure that the miners have an incentive to secure the coin, since it is based on a miner penalty that is applied to the base reward. Fees alone cannot be used since fees are used to scale the blocksize by overcoming the base reward penalty.  

Edit: Even without scaling it is very unclear that a "fee market: can develop in Bitcoin to secure Bitcoin one the base reward runs out.

thats nonsense, bitcoin can still scale with many other alternative method such as lightning network.
tail emission only make cpu botminer happy.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:48:25 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2016, 05:01:19 PM by ArticMine

thats nonsense, bitcoin can still scale with many other alternative method such as lightning network.
tail emission only make cpu botminer happy.

Proprietary payment channels are not an alternative to scaling the main chain. If I wanted a proprietary payment alternative I would use a bank, or companies such as Visa, PayPal, Western Union etc.

nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 03:59:21 PM

Of course he was answering DAO question if podcast was made right after DAO hack and was about DAO hack and how ETH will answer on it.  Why would he talk or answer on any other question beside about DAO or ETH?   He should of course not make fun of his listeners, but that is another question.

On generally on Lets Talk Bitcoin podcasting platform i saw only few podcast at least half of it dedicated to Monero. And most are 2 years old. In few others was mention briefly. Why is so i am not sure. Or Monero is not so interesting or is to hard to understand for them or they do mainly what coin marketers suggest them.  

Sorry for not realizing the simple fact the the entire 2+ hours of the show was about dao.  I agree with your perspective.
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2016, 04:05:48 PM

I agree Monero needs people who are spokesmen and are bringing Monero to the elite.

You don't really want to encourage people to start thinking of XMR as an elitist's coin do you ?
noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 04:07:38 PM

Of course he was answering DAO question if podcast was made right after DAO hack and was about DAO hack and how ETH will answer on it.  Why would he talk or answer on any other question beside about DAO or ETH?   He should of course not make fun of his listeners, but that is another question.

Sorry for not realizing the simple fact the the entire 2+ hours of the show was about dao.  I agree with your perspective.

LOL...

shameless shill try to push monero @ exclusive show on eth and dao attack, which obviously put on ignore  LOOOLLLLL  

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 04:19:12 PM

I agree Monero needs people who are spokesmen and are bringing Monero to the elite.

You don't really want to encourage people to start thinking of XMR as an elitist's coin do you ?

We do not have Forbes guys owning Monero do we?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 05:18:53 PM

We do not have Forbes guys owning Monero do we?

Of course one can not know with certainty.  If they do it is in negligible amounts.  Bullish😉

Any owners today are elite by the standards of XMR, since they are among a very few early adopters.

Within that community, XMR has seen a reasonable amount of currency use, but it is definitely too small a community, too loosely knit, to support a meaningful economy.  Probably, the overwhelming majority of present currency use is via XMR.to or shapeshift, and hence rather inefficient. 

I am dubious of prospects for adoption outside of a few use cases strongly compelling strong privacy, for the time being.  Those cases should be more than sufficient for a 1bn USD cap however, at which point wider adoption follows of course.  GUI will be necessary but not sufficient for reaching those use cases.  Mymonero.com suffices outside the realm of the justly paranoid, but inside is where our next big wins will be found.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 [950] 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: