Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:40:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 [945] 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312381 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 10:44:23 PM

As far as aminorex's most recent prediction of 0.005>0.006 in August, I don't feel it without some other specific news.  Then again last month I said that something would happen in 3 months which is September so August is close.  I remind every one I know nothing.  Then again we all know something is happening "soon" or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first  Grin Grin Grin

If bitcoin would go to 300$ again, would this be enough news to have Monero 'moon' to 0.006?

That would be a real btc bear market so if that is the btc price I wouldn't count on that being the Monero price.  Ofc it depends on why.

I just remembered why I originally said September.  There is a hard fork scheduled for September.  The ever present dangling carrot of the GUI alluded to with the timely code words  Grin which doesn't need a hard fork, as well as RingCT which will happen this year.  Sorry but I forgot whether RingCT needs a hard fork.  A have a vague memory that it does and that it should be ready in time.

Edit:  to me Monero moon is predicated on Monero strength not btc weakness.

I believe he is speaking in relation to and assuming inverse proportionality with his question.

Yes but as aminorex said, 300 won't happen.  As far as inverse proportionality, again it depends on how and why the movements.  Bottom line, no matter where btc goes, in the long run Monero's price relative to btc will be higher.  .....and yet recently I have been buying more btc than Monero.  I guess I was looking at inverse proportionality which did recently last for a little while and then ended.  I kept waiting for Monero to go down and look where we are now Smiley  This has made me start to re evaluate when to add to my Monero stash.  Doesn't seem I have much time to decide.

I appreciate the clarity and breadth of aminorex's posts, something I am incapable of.  Also when his posts are convoluted there is more hidden there as well. Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 11:26:44 PM

As far as aminorex's most recent prediction of 0.005>0.006 in August, I don't feel it without some other specific news.  Then again last month I said that something would happen in 3 months which is September so August is close.  I remind every one I know nothing.  Then again we all know something is happening "soon" or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first  Grin Grin Grin

If bitcoin would go to 300$ again, would this be enough news to have Monero 'moon' to 0.006?

That would be a real btc bear market so if that is the btc price I wouldn't count on that being the Monero price.  Ofc it depends on why.

I just remembered why I originally said September.  There is a hard fork scheduled for September.  The ever present dangling carrot of the GUI alluded to with the timely code words  Grin which doesn't need a hard fork, as well as RingCT which will happen this year.  Sorry but I forgot whether RingCT needs a hard fork.  A have a vague memory that it does and that it should be ready in time.

Edit:  to me Monero moon is predicated on Monero strength not btc weakness.

It does, it's a consensus change.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
_nur

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 11:38:44 PM

where can i see the volume of xmr on bitsq?
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 08:46:41 AM

where can i see the volume of xmr on bitsq?

On poloniex.

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:48:22 AM

Sorry but I forgot whether RingCT needs a hard fork.  

I believe it does require a HF.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:50:39 AM

Believing is not knowing.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 10:52:08 AM

Believing is not knowing.

Yes and that was the purpose of my statement to make sure to present my view as it could be possibly wrong as I am no expert on monero entirely.

I did carefully read the RingCT white paper by Shen and from what I gathered from all the math, it does require a HF....and yes I BELIEVE.  Tongue

Kiss

What do you KNOW?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 02:03:54 PM

Someone please explain the "aminorex/XMR bullish correlation" to me?  I've never heard of that particular Trend Analysis technique!

When there is a bull run and aminorex makes supportive comments about it some people correlate that to a dump in the near future.

It may be true or it may be bias stemming from the fact that some people give credence to what he says as well as the fact that every bull run inevitably ends with a dump.

As far as aminorex's most recent prediction of 0.005>0.006 in August, I don't feel it without some other specific news.  Then again last month I said that something would happen in 3 months which is September so August is close.  I remind every one I know nothing.  Then again we all know something is happening "soon" or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first  Grin Grin Grin

Welcome Jon, will you make monero king of the seven kingdom ? or maybe make it the only true god  Grin Grin
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 05:10:33 PM

Someone please explain the "aminorex/XMR bullish correlation" to me?  I've never heard of that particular Trend Analysis technique!

When there is a bull run and aminorex makes supportive comments about it some people correlate that to a dump in the near future.

It may be true or it may be bias stemming from the fact that some people give credence to what he says as well as the fact that every bull run inevitably ends with a dump.

As far as aminorex's most recent prediction of 0.005>0.006 in August, I don't feel it without some other specific news.  Then again last month I said that something would happen in 3 months which is September so August is close.  I remind every one I know nothing.  Then again we all know something is happening "soon" or in 2 weeks, whichever comes first  Grin Grin Grin

Welcome Jon, will you make monero king of the seven kingdom ? or maybe make it the only true god  Grin Grin

When I read your post I draw a complete blank.  In regards to the bolded, it's the same as saying it's only speculation.  Just don't want people to listen to me merely because I'm "legendary"  Tongue

In other news; after posting here yesterday it seems I talked myself into buying more today. Shocked 
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:01:00 PM

wow...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

after bitcoin, ethereum and now Monero too want to do hardfork Huh would be interestin i say  LOL, maybe i should short this thing in case the price tanked because hardfork failed Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

PS:  my view are purely speculation in accordance to the thread title...  Cool

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:20:38 PM

XMR requires new terminology to distinguish the regularly scheduled fork.  "Firm fork" seems inevitable.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:22:17 PM

XMR requires new terminology to distinguish the regularly scheduled fork.  "Firm fork" seems inevitable.

Sorry a hard fork is a hard fork. Monero is not decentralized. Some marketing buzzwords attempting to hide that fact will backfire eventually.

How about you finish the project and stop forking it. Then go create a new project with the new features you want to add.

Eventually you need to take off the training wheels, if you want the community to take it seriously as a decentralized protocol that no one can overpower. But any way, Satoshi's design doesn't really remain decentralized anyway, so I guess it is pointless. We just need to admit that none of this stuff is decentralized and we are wasting our time.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:25:40 PM

wow...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

after bitcoin, ethereum and now Monero too want to do hardfork Huh would be interestin i say  LOL, maybe i should short this thing in case the price tanked because hardfork failed Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

PS:  my view are purely speculation in accordance to the thread title...  Cool

Harforks are scheduled every 6 months.  The first one was this past March and went fairly smoothly.  The next one is scheduled sometime in September, it happens at a particular block height.  RingCT requires a hardfork and may or may not be ready for the September hardfork.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 06:26:55 PM

XMR requires new terminology to distinguish the regularly scheduled fork.  "Firm fork" seems inevitable.

A rose by any other name........

Is it or is it not a rose?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 07:43:25 PM

XMR requires new terminology to distinguish the regularly scheduled fork.  "Firm fork" seems inevitable.

Sorry a hard fork is a hard fork. Monero is not decentralized. Some marketing buzzwords attempting to hide that fact will backfire eventually.

How about you finish the project and stop forking it. Then go create a new project with the new features you want to add.

Eventually you need to take off the training wheels, if you want the community to take it seriously as a decentralized protocol that no one can overpower. But any way, Satoshi's design doesn't really remain decentralized anyway, so I guess it is pointless. We just need to admit that none of this stuff is decentralized and we are wasting our time.

... and use proof of burn of coins in the old project to create the coins in the new project?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2016, 08:00:06 PM

no one aint never said that the governance is decentralized. At some point humans do stuff. Its what the humans do thats important, not the fact that they're doing stuff.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 08:06:52 PM

A rose by any other name........

Is it or is it not a rose?

aminorex, sorry I missed the distinction of "regularly scheduled".
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 08:30:24 PM

Hard fork has a bad stigma because to date it implies "emergency!", but Monero is changing that. These are planned rolling hard forks. Every 6 months there will be code freeze where the new changes could be implemented 7 months after that.

Example timeline(paraphrased from Fluffypony's example in the Monero Missive):
Feb 15th: code freeze, new version is tagged and released
March 15th: 6 month countdown begins
September 15th and later: Hard fork can be activated! but ONLY if 75-80% of the blocks mined in the past week have been mined with the latest version. if not, no fork!

I like this practice. It's proactive, the community knows about it, there is consensus, the fork does not happen until there are enough nodes mining on the new version. It keeps development resilient and allows improvements/changes/features to easily be incorporated without the *panic* and fighting that we see in other crypto.

Look how difficult it is for Bitcoin to change when it needs to.

I miss the part where decentralized means "no changes, ever". If the community decides in the future that a hard fork is not wanted, they can indeed overpower the core team by not using the new version.

This podcast presents a good explanation of the reasoning behind the rolling hard forks:
https://getmonero.org/2016/06/20/monero-missive-for-the-week-of-2016-06-20.html

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4897

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 09:03:01 PM

no one aint never said that the governance is decentralized. At some point humans do stuff. Its what the humans do thats important, not the fact that they're doing stuff.

Hey trolldev, can we make the next rolling fork only create 50 mil coins this time? I think the last 100 million was too much. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 10, 2016, 09:08:02 PM

How about you actually release something or stop talking? Roll Eyes

Dude has a very confrontational and critical style. It makes him a profoundly useful gadfly. But it's very easy to get into pointless disputation, internet argument.

Ambitious people everywhere tend to bite off more than they can chew. I certainly resemble that remark.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 [945] 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: