Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:55:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 [953] 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312383 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 11:06:53 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2016, 11:29:07 PM by c789

If you are newbie to crypto (and not tech savy) you quite fast discover btc transactions are public, then you might look for an alternative and you go to coinmarketcap and see Darkcoin (and you hear it all over as well). That's the exact reason why Darkcoin will be picked instead of XMR, most people will not research fully and they are satisfied with easy solution.

Therefore it is crucial to have higher marketcapitalization than Darkcoin IMO so that Monero will be the easy solution.

I'm sure some will have the coin market cap in mind when searching for a coin, but I think a larger set of seekers will make a few google searches for "most private coin" or "most anonymous coin" and make their decision based upon what they find there. So, for their sake if their search brings them to this thread, I'll say this:

Any coin that uses masternodes (or supernodes or any semicentralized node) to mix your coins (Dash, Darkcoin) is at least semicentralized and if the same entity (government, hacker, etc) owns the series of nodes used to mix your coins, they can trace your transaction, making that transaction non-anonymous and traced (this also can be said of TOR traffic, but not I2P traffic, see https://geti2p.net/en/comparison/tor). Whereas Monero is 100% decentralized and therefore not subject to such tracing.

Thinking of using BTC mixing services? Those can't guarantee 100% untraceability since all BTC transactions are in the public ledger. They can only highly obscure the transaction. Now there are specialized companies whose speciality is tracing BTC transactions. As they get better at what they do and as technology progresses, "highly obscure" transactions today could become relatively easily traceable in the future...and that would affect ANY past transaction since all transactions are on the blockchain. See https://www.elliptic.co/law-enforcement/  for one example.

Thinking of using Zcash? That has several problems, including that it requires a trusted setup. You can see the list of problems here: https://blog.okturtles.com/2016/03/the-zcash-catch/
Monero does not have a trusted setup and is not affected by any of the shortcomings mentioned in the above link.

Only cryptonote coins (Monero is the clear leader) are untraceable, private, fungible, and secure. If you're going to use a private/anonymous coin, use the best. Use what will actually keep you untraceable and private.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 11:24:25 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2016, 11:55:53 PM by generalizethis

Two Buck Chuck has shown some incredible persistence, but the volume has declined quite a bit so I think that there just isn't a lot of motivation to dump further or bid it up.  It is what is commonly known as a volatility squeeze and so far these have been resolved upward, with an impulsive move.

I certainly support the price staying in this narrow range for as long as possible.

Build a base and then see what happens.

I foresee a global financial meltdown to start in the coming months and carry and echo through years to come.

in 2008 Bitcoin did not exist neither did Monero, so if they did back then how they exist now, any global financial woes would propel them higher.

The house of cards is falling down.

If someone wants more anonymity, they will choose Darkcoin instead I am afraid unless the marketcap will not exceed it and stay above it for ever.
I think the low volume is a sign nobody knows what to do and are waiting for some bigger movement up or down. After all, the support is in low 0.002's - there is pretty thin support around these levels.

LOL @ "more anonymity"

What is your basis in a technical discussion to make such an astute assertion?

If you are newbie to crypto (and not tech savy) you quite fast discover btc transactions are public, then you might look for an alternative and you go to coinmarketcap and see Darkcoin (and you hear it all over as well). That's the exact reason why Darkcoin will be picked instead of XMR, most people will not research fully and they are satisfied with easy solution.

Therefore it is crucial to have higher marketcapitalization than Darkcoin IMO so that Monero will be the easy solution.

I really doubt this. Most users will use mixers and such to improve Bitcoin's anonymity rather than guess again based on marketcap (most of dash's base want huge paydays for minimal re-investment via masternode rewards, they are not people who care about privacy)--those who actually care will take the time to research and will find Monero (eventually). Given how much time you've spent here TC, you'd think you'd pick up on how much more privacy conscious Monero's base is when compared to other coin's base users (and this is the advantage that lets Monero enjoy things like stack exchange approval and technical debates that don't get lost in moonspeak).

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2016, 11:38:54 PM

There is no more "Darkcoin."   Cheesy

They abandoned the brand, its supporters, and its emphasis on privacy in favor of shiny new fads like instant tx and DAO claptrap.

XMR is now ~50% of Dash's cap and the trend indicates this capital diffusion will intensify.

On the important basis of liquidity, the two coins are neck and neck as far as which one has more buy orders and overall trade volume.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 11:51:39 PM

There is no more "Darkcoin."   Cheesy

They abandoned the brand, its supporters, and its emphasis on privacy in favor of shiny new fads like instant tx and DAO claptrap.

XMR is now ~50% of Dash's cap and the trend indicates this capital diffusion will intensify.

On the important basis of liquidity, the two coins are neck and neck as far as which one has more buy orders and overall trade volume.

Do you think it is possible to reach the parity with Darkcoin (marketcapwise)?
c789

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:01:16 AM

I do. But even if it doesn't happen (unlikely, esp after GUI wallet release), privacy seekers will enjoy getting more of a superior coin (Monero) for less money. It would be a double-win for them.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:09:15 AM

I do. But even if it doesn't happen (unlikely, esp after GUI wallet release), privacy seekers will enjoy getting more of a superior coin (Monero) for less money. It would be a double-win for them.

If you use Monero or any other crypto for transactions you do not care about the price.
If you want to buy a cup of coffee for 6.5 usd but pay with bitcoin, you do not care if they price of btc is 650 usd/ btc or 6.50 usd/ btc since you buy it at the same price from the markets that you spend it on coffee.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 12:17:44 AM

I believe it is inevitable.

What Peter Todd refers to as Dash's "bad crypto" will be broken eventually.

And the law will catch up with Duffield, especially if he keeps soliciting non-accredited investors with his "8-15% return on your money in the bank" HYIP at get-rich-quick seminars.

Dash will collapse from its own internal contradictions, including the security/privacy/decentralization theater.

Monero is only going up and is unstoppable, absent some fundamental new crypto discovery-based flaw that cannot be fixed.

When the GUI + Multisig + RingCT trifecta hits, the world will never be the same.  100% fungible e-cash will usher an era of egalitarian financial sovereignty, as Monero democratizes access to goods/services/privileges previously reserved for 0.01%-er plutocrats.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
c789

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:20:06 AM

@TC: Sorry - I should have made my point more clear. If a person has 0.5 BTC and they can buy Dash or Monero, they'll get more Monero (I believe the price will will rise, so it's an even better buy long term) than they will Dash, and they'll be getting a superior coin. That's what I meant by a double-win. I understand that at the point of purchase, the opportunity cost is the same. The differences are in the long term and in the amount of privacy you get.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:02:11 AM

If you use Monero or any other crypto for transactions you do not care about the price.
If you want to buy a cup of coffee for 6.5 usd but pay with bitcoin, you do not care if they price of btc is 650 usd/ btc or 6.50 usd/ btc since you buy it at the same price from the markets that you spend it on coffee.

$6.50 for a cup of coffee?  I thought you were frugal Grin

I drink tea at $0.03 a cup.  Not long ago that difference would get you 25 Moneroj.  I can't believe 1 Monero was 5 and is now 40 deposit bottles. Tongue

Where do you think this poor boy got all his Moneroj? Wink

Oh look, 29k sell wall at 301999/302000  Cool
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:09:49 AM

I believe it is inevitable.

What Peter Todd refers to as Dash's "bad crypto" will be broken eventually.

And the law will catch up with Duffield, especially if he keeps soliciting non-accredited investors with his "8-15% return on your money in the bank" HYIP at get-rich-quick seminars.

Dash will collapse from its own internal contradictions, including the security/privacy/decentralization theater.

Monero is only going up and is unstoppable, absent some fundamental new crypto discovery-based flaw that cannot be fixed.

When the GUI + Multisig + RingCT trifecta hits, the world will never be the same.  100% fungible e-cash will usher an era of egalitarian financial sovereignty, as Monero democratizes access to goods/services/privileges previously reserved for 0.01%-er plutocrats.

At least pricewise it is still below ATH that was in 2014. And since bitcoinexpress fud attack it has been trading 0.001-0.004. It goes up when it breaks records.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:17:20 AM

Ooh.  My ears perked up.  This paragraph sings.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:17:38 AM

@TC: Sorry - I should have made my point more clear. If a person has 0.5 BTC and they can buy Dash or Monero, they'll get more Monero (I believe the price will will rise, so it's an even better buy long term) than they will Dash, and they'll be getting a superior coin. That's what I meant by a double-win. I understand that at the point of purchase, the opportunity cost is the same. The differences are in the long term and in the amount of privacy you get.

Yes demand will rise the price. If you study enough you may not buy Darkcoin but Darkflarb instead. However, average Junkie do not study which coin coin they use.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:20:31 AM

$6.50 for a cup of coffee?  I thought you were frugal Grin

I drink tea at $0.03 a cup.  Not long ago that difference would get you 25 Moneroj.  I can't believe 1 Monero was 5 and is now 40 deposit bottles. Tongue

Where do you think this poor boy got all his Moneroj? Wink

Oh look, 29k sell wall at 301999/302000  Cool

I said you buy a cup of coffee.
Personally I make my own coffee from the cheapest quality which costs in local supermarket 1.80 euros per 500 grams. I don't use milk nor sugar, just black coffee, but I like it strong so I consume it pretty heavily per cup. I think the average price per cup is also some cents.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 01:22:45 AM

Ooh.  My ears perked up.  This paragraph sings.

This good news should be preached all around youtube and blogs by a large population, make web pages that are targeted towards the potential buyers... Just massive marketing and pumping will create massive results. Minimal hype and pumping will create death via inflation.
c789

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 02:12:03 AM

Yes demand will rise the price. If you study enough you may not buy Darkcoin but Darkflarb instead. However, average Junkie do not study which coin coin they use.

Lol - I'll concede that point Smiley

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2016, 02:27:35 AM

When the GUI + Multisig + RingCT trifecta hits, the world will never be the same.  100% fungible e-cash will usher an era of egalitarian financial sovereignty, as Monero democratizes access to goods/services/privileges previously reserved for 0.01%-er plutocrats.

Ooh.  My ears perked up.  This paragraph sings.

This good news should be preached all around youtube and blogs by a large population, make web pages that are targeted towards the potential buyers... Just massive marketing and pumping will create massive results. Minimal hype and pumping will create death via inflation.

Unless it's a blimp and/or Superbowl ad, I'm against try-hard, pushy marketing.

Let shitcoins like Dash waste their money hiring craptastic PR firms, link-farming SEO ratfucks, and forum spammers.  We will do better.

Monero style is to work smarter, not harder.

We do that in our marketing by carefully approaching as individuals thought leaders in areas tangential to our own, and then, powered by the better-mousetrap effect, letting word of mouth do its job until we find our 100th monkey.

Aminorex and Risto have spoken to investment clubs, but perhaps not recently enough to have shared the latest good news and vision of my singing paragraph.

Let's see...

James Dines is a goldbug legend who told his readers to buy Bitcoin at (IIRC) about $10, perhaps less.  He's smart enough to easily grok the ethos here.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is currently a busy MP, but through his father has deep ties to the financial sovereignty communities.

Selling these guys on Monero should be like selling water to men dying of thirst.

But tact is key, as they have robust scam detection heuristics and we don't want to create false positives for red flags.

I'd like to get Jim Willie on board, but many years ago he declined my offer of free Bitcoins to play with and might be a little bitter about that (due to Not Invented Here syndrome)!   Cheesy

Which other Bitcoin-friendly goldbugs should be on our list of prospective Mustangs?  All of them!

I see the Silver Doctors cover Bitcoin events....   Cool

Kitco has been all over Bitcoin since the big rally.  Perhaps they should have an entire crypto.kitco.com subdomain devoted to this emerging sector?

I'd be shocked if the Winkii don't know about Monero, and the fact they've yet to mention it makes me suspect they're in stealth accumulation mode.  If they start an XMR ETF, the ticker "PONY" is available (just saying).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:39:09 AM

When the GUI + Multisig + RingCT trifecta hits, the world will never be the same.  100% fungible e-cash will usher an era of egalitarian financial sovereignty, as Monero democratizes access to goods/services/privileges previously reserved for 0.01%-er plutocrats.

Ooh.  My ears perked up.  This paragraph sings.

Unless it's a blimp and/or Superbowl ad, I'm against try-hard, pushy marketing.

Let shitcoins like Dash waste their money hiring craptastic PR firms, link-farming SEO ratfucks, and forum spammers.  We will do better.

Monero style is to work smarter, not harder.

We do that in our marketing by carefully approaching as individuals thought leaders in areas tangential to our own, and then, powered by the better-mousetrap effect, letting word of mouth do its job until we find our 100th monkey.

Aminorex and Risto have spoken to investment clubs, but perhaps not recently enough to have shared the latest good news and vision of my singing paragraph.

Let's see...

James Dines is a goldbug legend who told his readers to buy Bitcoin at (IIRC) about $10, perhaps less.  He's smart enough to easily grok the ethos here.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is currently a busy MP, but through his father has deep ties to the financial sovereignty communities.

Selling these guys on Monero should be like selling water to men dying of thirst.

But tact is key, as they have robust scam detection heuristics and we don't want to create false positives for red flags.

I'd like to get Jim Willie on board, but many years ago he declined my offer of free Bitcoins to play with and might be a little bitter about that (due to Not Invented Here syndrome)!   Cheesy

Which other Bitcoin-friendly goldbugs should be on our list of prospective Mustangs?  All of them!

I see the Silver Doctors cover Bitcoin events....   Cool

Kitco has been all over Bitcoin since the big rally.  Perhaps they should have an entire crypto.kitco.com subdomain devoted to this emerging sector?

I'd be shocked if the Winkii don't know about Monero, and the fact they've yet to mention it makes me suspect they're in stealth accumulation mode.  If they start an XMR ETF, the ticker "PONY" is available (just saying).

There is no Darkflarb marketing at all. On the other hand, Darkcoin is pushing from everywhere. That's the reason the marketcap is twice higher and has been staying that range for a while now.

Personally I would be surprised if Winklevosses were buying Monero. So far there has not been any announcement on that. Definetely if they buy and announce it, it will give a nice boost for the Monero marketcap. But again, I do not believe unless I see.
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 11:12:37 AM

Most likely -primer and TrueCryptonaire are the winkilevii in stealth mode.

Also, Risto seems to be Mark Zuckerberg. The cryptokingdom is a smoke screen for facebook
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 12:00:54 PM

Eleventh dev meeting in approximately 4 hours (16:00 UTC). Dev meeting will be held at #monero-dev on freenode.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20160717T16&p1=0&p2=56&p3=37&p4=102&p5=240&p6=136&p7=179&p8=137&p9=70&p10=28

Kovri (I2P) dev meeting in approximately 5 hours (17:00 UTC). Dev meeting can be followed at #monero-dev on freenode.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20160717T17&p1=0&p2=56&p3=37&p4=102&p5=240&p6=136&p7=179&p8=137&p9=70&p10=28

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 03:36:10 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2016, 03:50:36 PM by TrueCryptonaire

Wow, I cannot believe it. Now it looks the price has started the usual thing, declining. If I bought when I was told here I would be losing now.
The value of my current Monero declines but it doesn't matter me. Now it is down 2.47 % and the today's chart look hopeless.

EDIT: Already -3.12%  Shocked
EDIT: -3.76% - I wonder where the bearish troll is Mr. Kavasaki....
Pages: « 1 ... 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 [953] 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: