Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:02:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 [2011] 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312385 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 02:00:48 PM

Jeezus - I've been away for awhile too  Roll Eyes

So what's the deal with Grin? They published a comparison to Zcash, but nothing head to head with Monero - https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/wiki/Grin-and-MimbleWimble-vs-ZCash

Looks like Grin has a long way to go before it can be considered competition for Monero imho. But that being said, I do think the Monero Dev Drama could be some cause for concern  Undecided

I was away for quite a while too and only recently sort-of "back" but really just lurking a bit tryin put just a toe back inna water sorta.

So seems to me maybe 'drama' ramped up kinda when right after Fluffy sort of went off the rails...?  Coincidence?

WTF really goin' on?  Seems to me maybe gotta be "more than meets the eye" for the simple reason that as far as privacy/fungibility goes MONERO ACTUALLY WORKS and *THAT* my dear friends, is GOTTA be one of the BIGGEST THREATS OF ALL CRYPTO at ALL to the entrenched power-structure of this planet.

amirite? or WTF?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 02:11:36 PM
Merited by phishead (1)

What do you guys think of the slow accumulation of gold by non-US central banks? It seems that they believe (as do many of us) that the dollar’s reserve currency role is unsustainable and that gold will return to its former role as sound high-powered money. I’ve thought that in light of Bitcoin and Monero the central bankers were betting on the wrong horse. Is it possible that it is we not them who are out of touch? What is most likely, a return to the gold standard, adoption of a cryptocurrency standard, or coexistence of both standards?
KeyJockey

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 02:21:17 PM

What do you guys think of the slow accumulation of gold by non-US central banks? It seems that they believe (as do many of us) that the dollar’s reserve currency role is unsustainable and that gold will return to its former role as sound high-powered money. I’ve thought that in light of Bitcoin and Monero the central bankers were betting on the wrong horse. Is it possible that it is we not them who are out of touch? What is most likely, a return to the gold standard, adoption of a cryptocurrency standard, or coexistence of both standards?

Way way WAY back a million years ago before crypto happened I was a gold/silver believer.

However now, after crypto, my past experience dealing in being a gold owner/buyer/holder leads me to believe the future can be crypto and probably only CRYPTO

Why?

One big reason: GOLD "shops".  Coin&Stamp dealers and the myriad of ridiculous insane We Buy Gold businesses.

Are present-day goldbugs seriously believing that the global banking financial infrastructure after FIAT COLLAPSE will be picked up and run with by these ridiculous insane gold buyer/trader Coin&Stamp type dealers?

If NOT?  How ELSE would the common Man On The Street actually deal with his MONEY being "gold" once again??

Ain't gonna fuckkin HAPPEN, man.

The UI/adoption issues of CRYPTO for this proverbial Man On The Street are NOTHING compared to THAT possibility.

infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 03:00:58 PM

Jeezus - I've been away for awhile too  Roll Eyes

So what's the deal with Grin? They published a comparison to Zcash, but nothing head to head with Monero - https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin/wiki/Grin-and-MimbleWimble-vs-ZCash

Looks like Grin has a long way to go before it can be considered competition for Monero imho. But that being said, I do think the Monero Dev Drama could be some cause for concern  Undecided

The consensus seems to be that Monero is a little better in terms of privacy, but Grin is pretty good. Grin is limited to 10-20 TPS, tops. Monero is theoretically capable of 1,700 TPS. Grin has amazing scaling in terms of blockchain size, but that's not very important IMO.
Gaben.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 03:15:36 PM

So seems to me maybe 'drama' ramped up kinda when right after Fluffy sort of went off the rails...?  Coincidence?

Come again?

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:04:23 PM

Come again?

Also interested.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:05:55 PM

The consensus seems to be that Monero is a little better in terms of privacy, but Grin is pretty good. Grin is limited to 10-20 TPS, tops. Monero is theoretically capable of 1,700 TPS. Grin has amazing scaling in terms of blockchain size, but that's not very important IMO.

Mind expanding on the bolded?  As this is the bit that seems to be the hardest criticism of Monero.  Are you thinking layer 2 is the answer?  Similar to BTC?  Moores law?  Etc?
KeyJockey

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:35:34 PM

So seems to me maybe 'drama' ramped up kinda when right after Fluffy sort of went off the rails...?  Coincidence?

Come again?

Also interested.

I'm not gonna expand on this other than to say, guys... LOOK: for ME at least Fluffy ain't the same FLUFFY he was at the beginning.  "Something" changed.  Not least being his extreme pro-Core alignment stance (and YES this is WHY I ain't gonna "get into this" because I don't want it to trigger yet another god damn divisive shitstorm of BTCvsBCHvsEveryDamnOtherThing in cryptoverse that this shit ALWAYS triggers...)

I just think SOMETHING is GOING ON that we cannot SEE.

And it's because MONERO REALLY IS A THREAT.  Isn't it?

OR am I just delusional imagining shit that ain't really there?  Crypto GHOSTS haunting me???

LOL  Grin

P.S. Maybe to put it another way: the FACT that there has NOT been any clear apparent ATTACK against MONERO yet so far as we can SEE... to me, must MEAN there is some ATTACK happening that we CANNOT SEE!  The alternative concept that there simply has been "no attack" YET seems to me... impossible.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 05:15:02 PM

So seems to me maybe 'drama' ramped up kinda when right after Fluffy sort of went off the rails...?  Coincidence?

Come again?

Also interested.

I'm not gonna expand on this other than to say, guys... LOOK: for ME at least Fluffy ain't the same FLUFFY he was at the beginning.  "Something" changed.  Not least being his extreme pro-Core alignment stance (and YES this is WHY I ain't gonna "get into this" because I don't want it to trigger yet another god damn divisive shitstorm of BTCvsBCHvsEveryDamnOtherThing in cryptoverse that this shit ALWAYS triggers...)

OR am I just delusional imagining shit that ain't really there?  Crypto GHOSTS haunting me???

LOL  Grin

P.S. Maybe to put it another way: the FACT that there has NOT been any clear apparent ATTACK against MONERO yet so far as we can SEE... to me, must MEAN there is some ATTACK happening that we CANNOT SEE!  The alternative concept that there simply has been "no attack" YET seems to me... impossible.

I totally get your desire NOT to get into the whole blocksize thing.

That said, I think Fluffy has admitted on more than one occasion he is a Blockstream plant. Wink
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 05:29:04 PM

So we are seeing a fair uptick in volume along with a small rise in price...

Anyone have any theory?  Seems to be happening independently to cryptos as a whole...

Whass goin' on?

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2019, 05:38:54 PM

Come again?

Also interested.

LOL  Grin

P.S. Maybe to put it another way: the FACT that there has NOT been any clear apparent ATTACK against MONERO yet so far as we can SEE... to me, must MEAN there is some ATTACK happening that we CANNOT SEE!  The alternative concept that there simply has been "no attack" YET seems to me... impossible.

The most important thing fluffy did in retrospect was to disassociate him self “officially” by giving the big middle finger to wanna-be pumpers/investors by presenting his troll ‘MEA’ video at the 2016 NYC meeting. People always were strongly correlating anything that happened in Monero to fluffy as if he actually were a CEO of some scammy ICO company.

This allowed fluffy to have a life the way he wants to live it, and this also allowed Monero to continue it’s altruistic mission of being a private, decentralized and fungible... so imo, this has nothing to do with fluffy. He has every right to be as much of a troll/blockstream fan boy as he wants. We are in this to go away from a central authority.
infofront
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 05:40:01 PM

Anyone have any theory?  Seems to be happening independently to cryptos as a whole...

Whass goin' on?

Maybe the hype for Grin and Beam ended up benefiting Monero. People were so excited for the MimbleWimble coins, but then found out they're both inferior to Monero. Some of the capital and enthusiasm meant for the MW coins is being directed at XMR instead.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 06:03:56 PM

Anyone have any theory?  Seems to be happening independently to cryptos as a whole...

Whass goin' on?

Maybe the hype for Grin and Beam ended up benefiting Monero. People were so excited for the MimbleWimble coins, but then found out they're both inferior to Monero. Some of the capital and enthusiasm meant for the MW coins is being directed at XMR instead.

I have also wondered this.

Another theory is we always see the "privacy sector" get action after things like hacks or exit scams.  I don't know about that NZ exchange... how that's turning out.

I also find it interesting in light of the advent of new ASICs (or possibly FPGAs?) starting to appear we are seeing buying pressure.  This is kind of counter intuitive.  But *if* the ASIC miners are NOT selling for some reason, that would take away considerable selling pressure.  But then (and this is quite a chain of 'if's) why would the ASIC miners not be selling?  Mining is expensive.
infofront
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 06:23:05 PM

Good points, and indeed a curious situation with new mining hardware coming online.

Here is some more info on the Cryptopia hack: Cryptopia Hack ‘So Unusual’ Versus Typical Attacks: Elementus Blockchain Analysis
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 07:54:15 PM

I wish the great core team would come back together. Common cause.

We need the best of the best.

That's why Im in Monero.

Gaben.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 09:50:42 PM

Come again?

Also interested.

LOL  Grin

P.S. Maybe to put it another way: the FACT that there has NOT been any clear apparent ATTACK against MONERO yet so far as we can SEE... to me, must MEAN there is some ATTACK happening that we CANNOT SEE!  The alternative concept that there simply has been "no attack" YET seems to me... impossible.

I can't necessarily say i disagree (or agree for that matter). It's pretty hard if not impossible to find out what's going on in Monero without plugging in an email address somewhere these days. People are naturally going to feel left out and i think that draws a lot on what I've mentioned a few days ago, where the question of 'Is this by design?' came up.

Reddit is absolutely downright painful. IRC channel has no public logs available (at least none advertised) so it's hard to tell what happens at the primary channels of communication. Chans are about as garbage as ever.

As far as being in bed with core .. whole different ball park and having real access to primary sources in which to found reasonable opinions on, like those found in IRC, would be massively beneficial in discussions going forward.

Now I suppose I can go and fuck with some service to get good logs and not summaries that i gotta pay for but id rather just type in monerologs.com and have them spit back at me in a readable and linkable fashion.

But maybe that would be too efficient, maybe then people would begin having discussions of too high quality? Maybe someone wouldn't like that?

Imagine the power of being able to instantaneously view logs, as primary sources of information, in order to prevent accusations of intentional obstruction of information..?

I dunno sounds like a neat project for someone not wanting to deal with horsehit rules like 'oh there's no constant logs here for your publicly decentralized cryptocurrency we're the kinda folks who don't like that'. Because monero's going to be illegal and monero's never going to make it and you need to pay your taxes and we totally listen to all of those guys right?

But of course now monero becomes factually worth more than freenode and yet we continue to draw the line at some yahoos running a freenode server's opinions without actually ever trying to a) change that opinion or b) disregard that stupid opinion as it's costing people time and effort. I mean if reasonable people trying to enter the community can't look back and see where it came from that would piss me right of .. and currently does so maybe theres a easy way to figure out how to do that but even starting now would be missing four going on five years of history so ouch already.

Obviously this is bearing on too much information to write into a single post so maybe ill go post it somewhere else cause it's getting long .. just tldr: [logs of] primary sources of information are too hard to come by as they are, and not having the ability to see them is hurting not just me. So what can I do?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 10:20:59 PM

If we can push through 135 it would be pretty major.  I expect a pullback before that could be tried though.

By the way, our old friend Dash seems to be coming along for the ride... 
Privcy Foundation

Activity: 82
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 11:03:00 PM

If we can push through 135 it would be pretty major.  I expect a pullback before that could be tried though.

By the way, our old friend Dash seems to be coming along for the ride... 

probably will go below 10 bucks as grin starts gaining more adoption. xmr is old news at this point, no1 cares about it.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 11:11:55 PM

probably will go below 10 bucks as grin starts gaining more adoption. xmr is old news at this point, no1 cares about it.

Says a known scammer.... lol Roll Eyes

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Kanati

Activity: 93
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 25, 2019, 11:13:36 AM

Come again?

Also interested.

LOL  Grin

The most important thing fluffy did in retrospect was to disassociate him self “officially” by giving the big middle finger to wanna-be pumpers/investors by presenting his troll ‘MEA’ video at the 2016 NYC meeting. People always were strongly correlating anything that happened in Monero to fluffy as if he actually were a CEO of some scammy ICO company.

This allowed fluffy to have a life the way he wants to live it, and this also allowed Monero to continue it’s altruistic mission of being a private, decentralized and fungible... so imo, this has nothing to do with fluffy. He has every right to be as much of a troll/blockstream fan boy as he wants. We are in this to go away from a central authority.

Well I think this was an interesting read (especially between the lines..) -

https://unhashed.com/cryptocurrency-news/mimblewimble-coins-falter-litecoin-and-monero-remain-enthusiastic/

So maybe we are looking at Kovri going bust and MW on the Tari sidechain?

Pages: « 1 ... 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 [2011] 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: