Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:13:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board  (Read 286362 times)
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:51:16 PM

Okay guys, have a small problem I can't seem to fix.

My Ubuntu rig that I run my 2 CM1's on happily mines away while I do other things on it, like play movies via XBMC.
Today for the first time XBMC decided to crash and nothing would respond, It actually did look like it was still mining so spent 30mins trying to get XBMC to exit but eventually had to resort to pulling the power cord. In hindsight, I could of handled different, but I was running low on options.

I don't blame my other software, like cgminer or anything, just making that clear. They usually coexist fine, have done for many hours of film watching. XBMC is the problem, it looks nice though.

Upon rebooting, 1 board mined fine, the other gave me an error. "Got 0000000, expecting 000187a2" or something, the sort of error I have seen before, but was puzzled this only usually occurs when I do something silly like have left it in the wrong setting.

1) Checked all the settings, all the switches are where they should be.
2) Redid the modprobe command (I had done it once already), no change, also checked the usb #, they are the same.
3) Left it offline for a while, so I could update the working one (yes still works and is abit faster), but still no change.
4) Reflash it via linux, with the bitstream it had before, no change.
5) Reflash the bitstream controller via windows, no change.
- Reflashing it via linux atm with a much lesser bitstream. Will update.

Now I'm sitting infront of it, wondering why is it not working. It flashes successfully, for both, but won't mine.
Goona try a few other things, if anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
misternoodle

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:18:45 PM

Been running the WD4 200Mh/s bitstream with success. 

ICA 1:                | 394.7/385.4Mh/s | A:16697 R:159 HW:0 U:  5.39/m
 ICA 2:                | 387.9/385.5Mh/s | A:16658 R:145 HW:0 U:  5.38/m

Thanks makomk, sent a little tip your way the other day.
Lethos

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:24:14 PM

Now I'm sitting infront of it, wondering why is it not working. It flashes successfully, for both, but won't mine.

Reflashing with a lower bitstream which also worked fine made no difference. Oh dear...

Lethos

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:48:50 PM

Reflashing with a lower bitstream which also worked fine made no difference. Oh dear...

It appears only temp flashes work now, for board #2 more permanent flashes now don't work.
So, while I don't need fixing it really. Anyone know why this happened and is the only way to fix this is with a JTAG cable right?

hm

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:14:57 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 01:42:17 AM by hm

Please watch the LED's on ICA 1, sometimes one of the both fpga's should show you a orange LED for "some" seconds. On my boards is mostly the second fpga. Flash only this fpga with the dcmwd2 190Mhz bitstream and the ICA 1 should have around 5.2 U.

The dcmwd2 have the best DCM Watchdog and will work better on fpga's with the dcm problem which is ICA 1 on your board.

Give it a try, i'm sure your board will be much more stable in the average Mh.

Thanks for the tip, ebereon. Just to make sure I understood correctly:
I should not flash both FPGAs of ICA1 but only the one that's orange LED is active more often.
Since the orange LEDs of both FPGAs of ICA1 are active at the same time only on my board, I'll probably just have to try FPGA2=wd4-200 and FPGA3=wd2-190 or flash it the other way around if it doesn't help. Tomorrow I'll perhaps try that if I have the time.
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:10:51 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 02:32:47 PM by yohan

We should be making Rev 1.4 of the Controller available later today or tomorrow if our testing today goes ok. The main feature of this build is the first usage of the up/down cabling and it is a very simple implementation that we have done to use it. With Rev 1.4 you have the option to pair up boards to use a single USB interface. On the Master board all 4 com ports are used to support 4 pairs of FPGA 2 pairs on the Master and 2 pairs on the Slave.  So long and short of it is that you get to use half the USB cables that you needed previously.

If you don't want to use up/down cabling Rev 1.4 will operate pretty much as Rev 1.3. There is 1 dip switch change for Master/Slave selection but otherwise pretty much what you have seen in Rev 1.3.

We are still looking at the implementation of more complicated schemes that will use up/down for either bigger board clusters or even an entire rig and that will come later. Meanwhile the Rev 1,4 will hopefully make it a bit simplier on the USB setup for all of you with multiple boards setups.

We are also experimenting with removing the power feed from USB to the controller to see if it is just better to power the Controller always from the 12V feed. There is a possibility that might cause an ennumeration issue so it's not confirmed we will do this yet but if does look the better configuration we will cut that in to production on boards serial number 0700+.

We are also closing the general pre-order now with the general intention that it will become a stocked item from October onwards. Large orders will possibly still have a lead time and also tend to clean out available stock so it won't always be immediately available.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:33:56 PM

We should be making Rev 1.4 of the Controller available later today or tomorrow if our testing today goes ok. The main feature of this build is the first usage of the up/down cabling and it is a very simple implementation that we have done to use it. With Rev 1.4 you have the option to pair up boards to use a single USB interface. On the Master board all 4 com ports are used to support 4 pairs of FPGA 2 pairs on the Master and 2 pairs on the Slave.  So long and short of it is that you get to use half the USB cables that you needed previously.

If you don't want to use up/down cabling Rev 1.4 will operate pretty much as Rev 1.3. There is 1 dip switch change for Master/Slave selection but otherwise pretty much what you have seen in Rev 1.3.

We are still looking at the implementation of more complicated schemes that will use up/down for either bigger board clusters or even an entire rig and that will come later. Meanwhile the Rev 1,4 will hopefully make it a bit simplier on the USB setup for all of you with multiple boards setups.

We are also experimenting with removing the power feed from USB to the controller to see if it is just better to power the Controller always from the 12V feed. There is a possibility that might cause an ennumeration issue so it's not confirmed we will do this yet but if does look the better configuration we will cut that in to production on boards serial number 0700+.

700 boards!! Good accomplishment, that's half a TH with current bitstreams!

spiccioli

PS. Apropos usb power: I'm using now a powered (but I don't power it) no-name 10 ports usb hub which works very well because it does not take power from its usb cable (I don't know if it has no power wire inside) and/or it does not deliver the power it takes to its own usb ports.
I believe it has to be like this because I cannot attach more than three boards to my host PC if I don't power them (PC freezes) while right now I have all of them connected and hashing happily since at least a couple of weeks.
So, I'd say, cutting the power line should make things easier for new users.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:40:55 PM

We should be making Rev 1.4 of the Controller available later today or tomorrow if our testing today goes ok.

Any news for flashing this with Linux? It's the only thing I can't do right now and all the bitstreams I've tried (yours and makomk's) aren't stable at all. The serial interfaces die after some time (most of the time on #62-110) and there's nothing I can do short of cutting the power to reset the board.

As I'm not always next to them, considering all the downtimes my current mean hashing speed isn't event 800MH/s for *2* boards. I would even be glad if I could have this speed with stability, currently I must check on these boards on an hourly basis...

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:49:50 PM

We should be making Rev 1.4 of the Controller available later today or tomorrow if our testing today goes ok.

Yohan,

btw, there are a few things I'd like to ask:

• any way to flash the new controller firmware  using some linux tool?
  • toggling SW1 switch 1 does reset the board, but the host PC does not receive a usb unplug/plug event. Can such an event be "delivered"?
  • right now controller rev. 1.3 stops a FPGA when the fan does not work, can you make it stop  FPGAs if their temperature rises too much? EDIT: maybe adding some led flashing so that we know what's going on.

Thanks.

spiccioli.
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:02:38 PM

I now have shortfin_dcmwd4c_ed_test_200_overclock running on my SN 26 board. U is 11,53 after one hour.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
yohan (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:05:58 PM

Yohan,

btw, there are a few things I'd like to ask:

• any way to flash the new controller firmware  using some linux tool?
  • toggling SW1 switch 1 does reset the board, but the host PC does not receive a usb unplug/plug event. Can such an event be "delivered"?
  • right now controller rev. 1.3 stops a FPGA when the fan does not work, can you make it stop  FPGAs if their temperature rises too much? EDIT: maybe adding some led flashing so that we know what's going on.

Thanks.
spiccioli.

Linux programming for the Controller is a problem in that every solution we have looked at involves a paid license. I'm told there is a problem with the FTDI drivers for Linux in that unlike Windows the VCP and V2XX drivers can't coexist in most cases. However there is a documentation contracdiction and small possibility coexistance because we have a customised PID and this restriction this might not apply. At the moment we don't have much engineering resources available to do anything on this and it's unlikely we will make progress until September. 

SW1 is only a reset to the FPGA logic as you say. The USB reset pin is directly related to power so there isn't a path available currently.

On Spartan-6s generally there is no good way to sense temperature. There are temperature sensors in the board next to each FPGA but the way these work is they need a bitstream design that will support them. I don't believe any are in public domain as yet although Glasswalker I believe is looking at that. Even working these sensors will have a large degree of inaccuracy over the die temperature of the Spartan-6 and of limited use. The most important thing in the cooling solution is to know when a fan is not operating and we have that covered already. With the fan running we normally see the heatsink at only 5-10 degrees C above ambient temperature. We expect the S6 die to be at 45 degrees C above the heatsink temperature when running the full 12A core current available and about 35 degress C running something about 10A which is about the maximum of Makomk or Glasswalker bitstreams currently. It's nearly impossible to verify these numbers on a board without major chip surgery and even then you are changing the environment for testing.

testconpastas2

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:12:26 PM

PS. Apropos usb power: I'm using now a powered (but I don't power it) no-name 10 ports usb hub which works very well because it does not take power from its usb cable (I don't know if it has no power wire inside) and/or it does not deliver the power it takes to its own usb ports.
I believe it has to be like this because I cannot attach more than three boards to my host PC if I don't power them (PC freezes) while right now I have all of them connected and hashing happily since at least a couple of weeks.

I'm having this usb issues from the beggining and after buying new powered usb hubs D-LINK ,they are unusable if i power them., just like spiccioli.

my boards are 62- (~140 ...150)  I've read about the usb cable fix but i dont have  clear how to make it.  

will there in future controllers, a fix for that? or must i think about "cutting" ( i dont know what part ) usb cable??

thank you.

PS:: after adding extra fans now my rig works  a lot of better, ( i had a temp problem) but still having some usb disconnections.

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
spiccioli
Legendary

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:24:28 PM

I'm having this usb issues from the beggining and after buying new powered usb hubs D-LINK ,they are unusable if i power them., just like spiccioli.

testconpastas,

what happens if you DON'T plug into your usb hub its power cord?

Try this with just ONE board plugged into your usb hub and then with two and so on.

If your hub works like mine you'll be able to attach all the boards to your hub without problems, otherwise after two or three boards your host PC should start having problems (slows down to a crawl/freezes altogether).

Beware, if your usb hub takes power from its usb cable and then gives this power to its usb ports, you could end up damaging the usb port in your host pc and/or your boards.

I'm not resposible for any damage arising from this test!!!

spiccioli.
testconpastas2

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:29:29 PM

With Rev 1.4 you have the option to pair up boards to use a single USB interface. On the Master board all 4 com ports are used to support 4 pairs of FPGA 2 pairs on the Master and 2 pairs on the Slave.  So long and short of it is that you get to use half the USB cables that you needed previously.

Nice and even better you won't  have to guess which 2 ports are randomly used by windows and so you won't have to change cgminer -S option

thank you.

testconpastas2

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:55:15 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 09:13:49 PM by testconpastas2

testconpastas,

what happens if you DON'T plug into your usb hub its power cord?

they work fine but sometimes randomly (maybe one time after 2days or maybe after some hours) usb devices disconnected. and i have to turn off PSU to recover them

Try this with just ONE board plugged into your usb hub and then with two and so on.
in my  7 port usb hub without power cable i have 6 cm1 working almost ok (except some random disconnections)

If your hub works like mine you'll be able to attach all the boards to your hub without problems, otherwise after two or three boards your host PC should start having problems (slows down to a crawl/freezes altogether).

Im working with a powered usb hub ( but with power cable disconnected) from the begining because if I "power" it my usb drivers fails to install and do strange things. my usb hub unpowered works almost fine except some random disconnections.

maybe my motherboard GA P55A ud5  with 1500ma usb instead of 500 is the cause I could use unpowered usb hub ok

Beware, if your usb hub takes power from its usb cable and then gives this power to its usb ports, you could end up damaging the usb port in your host pc and/or your boards.

I know that but thanks . but i dont know where in this thread i've read that cm1 usb isnt used to feed boards and has low energy consuption. what scares me more is some kind of uncontrolled feedback current to my board but what  I hope is my usb hub has some kind of filter/ diode to avoid that .

I'm not resposible for any damage arising from this test!!!

spiccioli.

Anyone is using that "disabled" (cut wire 5v ??) cable and fixed their/my problem??

yohan (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:53:29 PM

Rev 1.4 of the Controller is now available.

Dip switches as follows:

ebereon

Activity: 397
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 01:06:52 PM

One question about the new controller:

When the controller is updated, how would work the flash of the array fpga's of the Slave board? Do we still need to connect the USB cable for flash or is it working with the one USB from the Master board and the xc3sprog option -p4, -p5, -p6, -p7?

eb
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 01:27:46 PM

Rev 1.4 of the Controller is now available.

Dip switches as follows:

And whats this good for ?

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Lethos

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 01:29:54 PM

We are also closing the general pre-order now with the general intention that it will become a stocked item from October onwards. Large orders will possibly still have a lead time and also tend to clean out available stock so it won't always be immediately available.

That is what it's good for Isokivi. Mostly it was an update for those with a lot of boards.

Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 01:35:25 PM

That is what it's good for Isokivi. Mostly it was an update for those with a lot of boards.
Is it just me or is some piece of the puzzle missing, I mean ductaping two boards together and tossing out one usb-cable wont be likeley to work.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: