Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:56:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
manitu

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:35:25 AM

Hi, I have very bad experience with Antminer S4 B1. I ordered 10 psc of S4. Yesterday I received the shipment. I have prepared new electricity (3x 240V 32Amps) and new wiring for more power. Unfortunately, one of them immediately after turning on started stink and smoke. I turned it off. I tried to turn it on one more time but it happened again. I wrote Bitmain but still I have no answer.

Than I started to set up other nine miners. Some miners had set up DHCP some Static IP 192.168.1.99, but it was no problem. When I set up all nine miners I checked hashrate on displays and all miners have hashrate >2TH/s. After one hour I checked hashrate on ELIGIUS pool and I expected higher hashrate then 18TH/s. But I saw only 11TH/s in peak and after next hour the hashrate was only 7TH/s.

I moved miners to Slush pool, create one worker per miner and finally hashrates was from 50GH to 1600GH.

The second issiu that I am not very happy are letters (x) in ASIC status. Six of nine miners have 3-5 (x) in ASIC status. Miners are with basic setting, no overclock with temperatures from 41 to 45°C.

I red that more people have the same problem. Can you help me? Do you have any idea to solve the problem? ...or Bitmains want to be rich quickly and produce low-quality devices.

I am very disgusted with this situation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:44:40 AM

Hi, I have very bad experience with Antminer S4 B1. I ordered 10 psc of S4. Yesterday I received the shipment. I have prepared new electricity (3x 240V 32Amps) and new wiring for more power. Unfortunately, one of them immediately after turning on started stink and smoke. I turned it off. I tried to turn it on one more time but it happened again. I wrote Bitmain but still I have no answer.

Than I started to set up other nine miners. Some miners had set up DHCP some Static IP 192.168.1.99, but it was no problem. When I set up all nine miners I checked hashrate on displays and all miners have hashrate >2TH/s. After one hour I checked hashrate on ELIGIUS pool and I expected higher hashrate then 18TH/s. But I saw only 11TH/s in peak and after next hour the hashrate was only 7TH/s.

I moved miners to Slush pool, create one worker per miner and finally hashrates was from 50GH to 1600GH.

The second issiu that I am not very happy are letters (x) in ASIC status. Six of nine miners have 3-5 (x) in ASIC status. Miners are with basic setting, no overclock with temperatures from 41 to 45°C.

I red that more people have the same problem. Can you help me? Do you have any idea to solve the problem? ...or Bitmains want to be rich quickly and produce low-quality devices.

pictures? I see you have no prior posts on the site, interested in your setup

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
ownClass

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:12:11 AM

Hello I have 2 S4's and prefer to use Eligius, but I'm also having tons of trouble with that combo.  I don't have any solutions, but wanted to provide data from my equipment for confirmation of the problem.

TESTING:
      Run the miners on separate pools for 5 minute increments and compare results.  I also have 2 S3 Upgrades running in the same 5 min increment for comparison.  All 4 miners are restarted together then when they read 5 min of uptime i took a screenshot of MultiMiner, which shows all the details.

Below is a link to 2 screenshots of the S4s running on Eligius vs Eclipse.  Note the accepted shares and "Effective Hashrate"

http://1drv.ms/1E6MPRV

If the link doesn't treat u well, here is the data.

THE 5 MINUTE HASH    (sounds like breakfast)            
ACCEPTED SHARES            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B
Eclipse   145   144   328   272
Eligius   149   187   48   57

EFFECTIVE HASHRATE            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B
Eclipse   525GH/s   428GH/s   1650GH/s   1610GH/s
Eligius   407GH/s   426GH/s   89GH/s   106GH/s
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 02:20:51 AM

Our R&D team is testing the latest firmware, we will upload it to our official website once it is ready.

Aren't you supposed to test the firmware before shipping them?

Oh dear, this is not looking good at all.

Looks like p2pool is out of the question then.......time to sell my S4 coupons.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
manitu

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:21:29 AM

pictures? I see you have no prior posts on the site, interested in your setup
http://s11.postimg.org/b4ex2e9v7/miners.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/8s0rivup3/workers.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/xnvrejuk3/hashrate.jpg
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:22:45 AM

Hello I have 2 S4's and prefer to use Eligius, but I'm also having tons of trouble with that combo.  I don't have any solutions, but wanted to provide data from my equipment for confirmation of the problem.

TESTING:
      Run the miners on separate pools for 5 minute increments and compare results.  I also have 2 S3 Upgrades running in the same 5 min increment for comparison.  All 4 miners are restarted together then when they read 5 min of uptime i took a screenshot of MultiMiner, which shows all the details.

Below is a link to 2 screenshots of the S4s running on Eligius vs Eclipse.  Note the accepted shares and "Effective Hashrate"

ACCEPTED SHARES            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B

EFFECTIVE HASHRATE            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B

Doesn't look right for S4 ...pretty "shitty" hashrate...like 4-5% of 2T... Grin

Something is wrong on S4 side...Did you try another pool...like BTCGuild... Huh

ZiG
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:23:29 AM

TESTING:

ACCEPTED SHARES            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B

EFFECTIVE HASHRATE            
   S3A   S3B   S4A   S4B

Well that's not good. Sounds like they pushed the chips too hard. Maybe should have increased the number of chips and reduced W/GH. I'm going to wait for AM's Prism. Lower cost per GH with about the same efficiency.
sjc1490

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:43:35 AM

I held back because of price but that looks as if it is the least of the S4's problems. Hope for Bitmain these are just isolated incidents,

BTC ADDRESS: 12Qwd8VKLQ4xF44ytHXBpCAKuF9VknG4X2
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:46:21 AM

I held back because of price but that looks as if it is the least of the S4's problems. Hope for Bitmain these are just isolated incidents,

Same here. I have never had an issue with any of my old S1's or current S3's. Something about Bitmain making big miners seems to mess everything up.
IYFTech

Activity: 686

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:58:21 AM

Same here. I have never had an issue with any of my old S1's or current S3's. Something about Bitmain making big miners seems to mess everything up.

At least the S2's worked.......once you'd re-assembled them.......sort of........ Cheesy

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
dkaufman

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:01:27 AM

I just got mine yesterday and was surprised how fast it shipped (2 days)
I am have trouble getting my hashrate up to 2 TB currently

I first tried eligius and couldn't get it above 250 G/h..
(Snip image)

Then i settled with Nicehash for the night and got a average hash of 1.4 T/H
(Snip image)

Currently set on BTC guild for the last hour with a average of 1.6 T/h
(Snip image(s))

I'll post more of the miner stats when I get home; frustrating I can't get the promised speed of 2 T/H.  My first guess is the CG miner is out of date.

Same problem here with slush pool and bitminter pool.

Slush pool says 1550-1600GHs
Bitminter jumps between 1300 and 2050GHs

Anyone else with the same problem?

Here are Miner webui and screenshot from slushs pool:

other miners are Ant S1, the last is the S4

Tom I believe your problem is... those three little bitty x's in that sea of o's (under the "ASIC Status" section in the Antminer web ui screenie you posted).  Good news about that, though!  I had a few too, but they went away.  I also had the miner claiming > 2TH/s in the web UI (and on the LED display) but slush saying (after 3 hours) it was only doing about 1600H/S.

I "fixed it" (basically, by acicdent) just by messing with it, trying all of the levers and dials -- I overclocked and undervolted.  I may have tried every combination of clock speed (over 193Mhz) with both 0725 and 0720 volts.  Lowering the voltage to 0720 got rid of my x's, though it didn't help my hash rate, and since then I've been upping the clock frequency every few hours and not getting x's and getting better and better hash rates, well over the guaranteed 2GH.

So yeah, I recommend throwing caution to the wind and just trying everything to see how it affects you EFFECTIVE hash rate (not the rate you see in the web ui and LED).  Remember to physically power cycle he device whenever you change the voltage (dont just press reboot through the web UI.  That just restarts linux, it doesnt physically cycle the power and reset the hardware).

BTW I got my 16A power cord today, and a Kill A Watt, and a BIG fan to suck all the hot air out of the back of my S4 (and two S3's) through a clothes-dryer type exhaust hose and outside, through the basement wall, using an old dryer exhaust hose, some custom cardboard duct work, aluminum foil tape to hold it all together, and an existing hole in the wall where an old unsused washer dryer hookup used to be.

Once we start getting some more colder days like we did last week (I'm in Pennsylvania) I will turn that 4" inline fan around to pull in cold air from outside, and direct the hot exhaust out of the closet into the basement proper(which is finished, like a family room) for the heat!

good luck turning your x's into o's!

thanks,

-dave
Egon

Activity: 85

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:23:57 AM

I too am seeing nowhere near the advertised hash rate poolside, even though the web ui is reporting close to 2100 average.  I am seeing about 1.67 TH poolside average after several hours.
sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:33:18 AM

China is on the National Holiday.  (Chinese Golden Week)

For now, may be create an account at BTCGUILD.COM and hash.  It does recognise the full 2TH/s speed at btcguild.com pool

I know this is not the best solution but at least temporary you will get your BTC mined at the hashing speed we paid for.

If anyone is having problem powering up S4...

There is a little knob/switch at the back of the S4 where you plug the power cable.  Please press and hold it for 2-3 seconds and it will power up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD4vdR7ZS8s&feature=youtu.be

If you see a few X on your asic status page, please try to shut it off and wait for 10-15 minutes then power it back on and see if the x goes away.

Happy Mining!!

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
Itsumo

Activity: 112

Play Rock Paper Scissor Lizard Spock

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:08:40 AM

I love to see how these miners work. I dont mine really but their job is pretty. I given the chance, I will mine but budget is kinda high.
Master One

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 06:17:53 AM

Oh boy, looks like S4 B1 buyers are beta testers after all! My guess, Bitmaintech has reached the power limit in their hosting facilities and did not run the S4 themselves, which is why they started selling them directly but at a higher price to make the desired extra.

Although it's still clear the S4 will not ROI, I have been keeping an eye on it, because I want to purchase a few miners to assist heating the house during winter, but under these circumstances (noise + troubles) I still think AM's Prisma may be the better choice. No decision made yet though.

truckinusa

Activity: 534

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:16:51 AM

Why should I or shouldn't I buy one of these to mine with at home?  I have .09cents per kw electric here.  I'm debating on doing this or buying a hashlet.

bitJob                       ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
                ▄▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████
         ████████████████████████████████████████  ██
         ▀██████████████████████████████████████▀  ██
          ▀▀██████████████████████████████████▀▀  ████
                                                 ▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:13:51 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2014, 11:35:18 AM by Prelude

Great, my S4 just woke me up with it's annoyingly loud beeping. It's dead! I'm able to log into it just fine, but nothing shows up under status. Tried 3 software reboots and 2 power downs. Nothing! Just hard reset the miner following their instructions in the S4's manual, and now the machine isn't getting an IP address. Display is showing IP as 127.0.0.1.

Anyone know what the button above the reset button does? Edit: Nothing. It's just a hole with no button.

S4 was running at stock speed and voltage. Time to see if Antminer provides good support or not, I guess. Of course they're on holiday.

Cry
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:56:34 AM

... Display is showing IP as 127.0.0.1.

Anyone know what the button above the reset button does? ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

Ok, got it going again after 2 more hard resets. Hope I don't have a bad unit and that this isn't a sign of things to come.

This thing needs a firmware update ASAP.

... Display is showing IP as 127.0.0.1.

Anyone know what the button above the reset button does? ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Yes?
FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 12:02:30 PM

Is there anyone here with a "normal" working (2TH/s @ tested at different Pools) S4?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: