Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:59:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBay |Decentralized Marketplace|Smart Contracts|IoT Tech|Markets Open  (Read 339387 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
digicidal

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 11:43:13 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2014, 11:54:19 AM by digicidal

As there seems to be some confusion about staking from some who may not have had experience with PoS coins (and particularly PoS 2.0 staking) here are my findings/research/etc. from BlackCoin which definitely apply (as it's the first PoS 2.0):

In a PoS 1.0 coin you 'banked' coin-age and weight... i.e. if you have 1M coins which stake at 1% per year and you wait one year before unlocking and staking that wallet (actually one year plus 8 hours or whatever the minimum age is set to)... you will receive 10K coins as your staking reward - plus any fees awarded for the block, same as you will now actually.  However the difference is that this will occur nearly instantaneously in PoS 1.0 because your coins will have a very large weight (somewhere around 365 million in fact).  The problem with this is that it would potentially allow for a smaller holding wallet to be more likely to craft a 51% attack because once this wallet comes online to stake it will have a significantly higher weight than anyone who has been staking all along - even if that other person has 10M coins in their wallet (since those coins will likely have staked within the past day or so the 'competing weight' will be 36 times less despite representing a coin-value of 10 times more).

That this compounded the already widely discussed issues of PoW/PoS hybrid coins and the 'nothing-at-stake' issue caused a need for improvement.

To solve this Pavel (rat4) adjusted staking (in PoS 2.0 - see whitepaper) so that weight disregards coin-age... so that means that while your award can be made artificially large in a single transaction by keeping a wallet offline and all coins from a single transaction - that wallet will have no greater possibility for solving a block than a similar sized wallet which has been online the entire time.  So someone has next to no possibility to 'guess' when their blocks will occur, simply by remaining offline - thus next to no possibility to use that maliciously to fork the chain and potentially double-spend (and all the more reason to stay online helping to secure the blockchain 24/7).  Wink

What this means for a normal wallet holder is that your holdings are the only thing making it more likely that you will 'win' your stake.  Someone with 10M BAY which is all mature will have a 10X greater chance of getting the next block than someone with 1M BAY does... and that person will have a similarly greater chance than someone with 100K BAY has. However, rest assured that once your turn occurs... even if that takes a month... then your award will be the appropriate size (somewhere around 0.000027397 per coin - or 1% divided by 365 - multiplied by the coin-age).  If it takes a month then you'll get 30 times as much, once awarded... but it won't be any more likely to solve the next block than it was on day 1.

I think the problem many people are encountering is that a ton of BAY are still on BTER (or Bittrex now).  So those that moved coins into their wallets earliest had a very high probability of staking quickly - since competition for the blocks was limited.  As more and more people move their coins into the wallet and off of the exchange - this will naturally make the time between block awards longer as well, since more people are in the 'lottery' in the first place.

It may seem like it sucks... but it's actually making for a much, much more secure blockchain (and you get basically the same amount... just more coins less often). Smiley

Ultimately it would be great (security-wise) to see distribution so wide that none of us would get more than a few staking awards per year... but we're at least a couple million wallets away from that situation. LOL!

If I've confused something or made a mistake, please post a correction - it's been a long day.  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 11:53:44 AM

As there seems to be some confusion about staking from some who may not have had experience with PoS coins (and particularly PoS 2.0 staking) here are my findings/research/etc. from BlackCoin which definitely apply (as it's the first PoS 2.0):

In a PoS 1.0 coin you 'banked' coin-age and weight... i.e. if you have 1M coins which stake at 1% per year and you wait one year before unlocking and staking that wallet (actually one year plus 8 hours or whatever the minimum age is set to)... you will receive 10K coins as your staking reward - plus any fees awarded for the block, same as you will now actually.  However the difference is that this will occur nearly instantaneously in PoS 1.0 because your coins will have a very large weight (somewhere around 365 million in fact).  The problem with this is that it would potentially allow for a smaller holding wallet to be more likely to craft a 51% attack because once this wallet comes online to stake it will have a significantly higher weight than anyone who has been staking all along - even if that other person has 10M coins in their wallet (since those coins will likely have staked within the past day or so the 'competing weight' will be 36 times less despite representing a coin-value of 10 times more).

That this compounded the already widely discussed issues of PoW/PoS hybrid coins and the 'nothing-at-stake' issue caused a need for improvement.

To solve this Pavel (rat4) adjusted staking (in PoS 2.0 - see whitepaper) so that weight disregards coin-age... so that means that while your award can be made artificially large in a single transaction by keeping a wallet offline, and all coins in a single transaction - that wallet will have no greater possibility for solving a block than a similar sized wallet which has been online the entire time.  So someone has next to no possibility to 'guess' when their blocks will occur, simply by remaining offline - thus next to no possibility to use that maliciously to fork the chain and potentially double-spend (and all the more reason to stay online helping to secure the blockchain 24/7).  Wink

What this means for a normal wallet holder is that your holdings are the only thing making it more likely that you will 'win' your stake.  Someone with 10M BAY which is all mature will have a 10X greater chance of getting the next block than someone with 1M BAY does... and that person will have a similarly greater chance than someone with 100K BAY has. However, rest assured that once your turn occurs... even if that takes a month... than your award will be the appropriate size (somewhere around 0.000027397 per coin - or 1% divided by 365).  If it takes a month then you'll get 30 times as much once awarded... but it won't be any more likely to solve the next block than it was on day 1.

I think the problem many people are encountering is that a ton of BAY are still on BTER (or Bittrex now).  So those that moved coins into their wallets earliest had a very high probability of staking quickly - since competition for the blocks was limited.  As more and more people move their coins into the wallet and off of the exchange - this will naturally make the time between block awards longer as well, since more people are in the 'lottery' in the first place.

It may seem like it sucks... but it's actually making for a much, much more secure blockchain (and you get basically the same amount... just more coins less often). Smiley

Ultimately it would be great (security-wise) to see distribution so wide that none of us would get more than a few staking awards per year... but we're at least a couple million wallets away from that situation. LOL!

If I've confused something or made a mistake, please post a correction - it's been a long day.  Undecided

Thanks. that makes sense. I don't care if I receive it today or a month from now as long as I receive it.  

If person A is staking and it takes a month before he receives his reward. If he decides to sell his coins on day 29th. Would he still receive the reward on day 30th? It sounds like there is no way to tell  how long you'll have to wait before receiving reward?

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
digicidal

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 11:55:52 AM

that makes sense. I don't care if I receive it today or a month from now as long as I receive it.  

If person A is staking and it takes a month before he receives his reward. If he decides to sell his coins on day 29th. Would he still receive the reward on day 30th?

Unfortunately no.  Because the coin-age is 'destroyed' (Edit: better to say "reset" I suppose) in any transaction for the coins involved.  So whether they stake or you transfer them... they 'arrive' at their destination with a zero coin-age value. Sad

To answer the second part - there is no way to tell, but it actually is very fair considering the speed of the blocks and the fact that any coins that have staked are taken out of the equation for at least 8 hours.  There is more to the 'lottery' aspect (as far as who gets awarded a block).  My BC holdings are a fairly minor amount (of the total at least) but I still usually see some stake within 4-5 days or so.  AFAIK there are more active staking wallets in BC than in BAY... so should be even faster here, but hard to say for sure.
unusualfacts30

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 12:09:09 PM

that makes sense. I don't care if I receive it today or a month from now as long as I receive it.  

If person A is staking and it takes a month before he receives his reward. If he decides to sell his coins on day 29th. Would he still receive the reward on day 30th?

Unfortunately no.  Because the coin-age is 'destroyed' (Edit: better to say "reset" I suppose) in any transaction for the coins involved.  So whether they stake or you transfer them... they 'arrive' at their destination with a zero coin-age value. Sad

To answer the second part - there is no way to tell, but it actually is very fair considering the speed of the blocks and the fact that any coins that have staked are taken out of the equation for at least 8 hours.  There is more to the 'lottery' aspect (as far as who gets awarded a block).  My BC holdings are a fairly minor amount (of the total at least) but I still usually see some stake within 4-5 days or so.  AFAIK there are more active staking wallets in BC than in BAY... so should be even faster here, but hard to say for sure.

That was my main worry since Bay staking wallet isn't as active as BC. My BC is working fine and I don't do anything differently. I haven't received anything since 19th on Bay even though I leave it on for hours. It's syncing in timely manner though. Right now it says "Expected time to earn reward is 2 days". So, I guess I'll try to keep it on for as long as I can and check if anything changes in 2 days.

Thanks for answering my question regarding pos 2.0

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
digicidal

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 12:19:23 PM

That was my main worry since Bay staking wallet isn't as active as BC. My BC is working fine and I don't do anything differently. I haven't received anything since 19th on Bay even though I leave it on for hours. It's syncing in timely manner though. Right now it says "Expected time to earn reward is 2 days". So, I guess I'll try to keep it on for as long as I can and check if anything changes in 2 days.

Thanks for answering my question regarding pos 2.0

The biggest factor is still weight - so you also have to consider the network weight as well.  So if you have 10K BC staking... you have about .1% of the network weight (which is usually around 10M or ~14% of the mintage).  With BAY if you have the same 14% represented on the network at a given time... that's 140M... so a 10K BAY wallet is around .007% of the total.  If it weren't for the lottery aspect and other factors which I don't really understand fully and are better asked of Pavel or David, it would be unlikely for such a miniscule amount to ever win... kind of like mining BTC with a CPU!
Overed

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 12:43:53 PM

Last chance to invest in BAY !
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:04:51 PM

To solve this Pavel (rat4) adjusted staking (in PoS 2.0 - see whitepaper) so that weight disregards coin-age... so that means that while your award can be made artificially large in a single transaction by keeping a wallet offline and all coins from a single transaction - that wallet will have no greater possibility for solving a block than a similar sized wallet which has been online the entire time.  So someone has next to no possibility to 'guess' when their blocks will occur, simply by remaining offline - thus next to no possibility to use that maliciously to fork the chain and potentially double-spend (and all the more reason to stay online helping to secure the blockchain 24/7).  Wink

What this means for a normal wallet holder is that your holdings are the only thing making it more likely that you will 'win' your stake.  Someone with 10M BAY which is all mature will have a 10X greater chance of getting the next block than someone with 1M BAY does... and that person will have a similarly greater chance than someone with 100K BAY has. However, rest assured that once your turn occurs... even if that takes a month... then your award will be the appropriate size (somewhere around 0.000027397 per coin - or 1% divided by 365 - multiplied by the coin-age).  If it takes a month then you'll get 30 times as much, once awarded... but it won't be any more likely to solve the next block than it was on day 1.

No need to apologize you've helped me out with this info (and MANY others I'm sure lol).  Thanks.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
fulcare

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:05:54 PM

Hmm not really, though I do wonder if we get a big boost when the smart contract wallet comes out.

What is the expected time for the smart wallet?

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
randywald

Activity: 600

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:12:43 PM

Hmm not really, though I do wonder if we get a big boost when the smart contract wallet comes out.

I would say it's never too late Grin.

smallbay

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:32:52 PM

ahaha, everybody waiting for it. i asked before and they told me it would be out this week, so let's see.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:42:39 PM

Y U NO HOLD?!

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
amytheplanarshift

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 02:47:37 PM

I thought we were getting a new demo video?

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
unusualfacts30

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:14:37 PM

I don't want boost but sad to say that the way price is looking it feels like someone is organizing a boost after wallet comes out. Personally, I would prefer if there is no boost and it rises organically. Can't wait for it to become undumpable and separates itself from whole p&d game.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
tubesteak

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

So what PnD groups are apart of this coin?

SLG: SPWZuB9HsZVQNiHCbLQyw32EdRdVtt87We
fulcare

Merit: 254

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:05:44 PM

I don't want boost but sad to say that the way price is looking it feels like someone is organizing a boost after wallet comes out. Personally, I would prefer if there is no boost and it rises organically. Can't wait for it to become undumpable and separates itself from whole p&d game.

It seems to me that people are so jaded by scams they don't believe a real project that has massive potential. So to me as more of the project is reveals and people get more confident that this is first not a scam, second the project is going to work out and three people are going to use the platform. As things are revealed I don't seem them as pumps but more people edging closer to simply believing this project is actually real and will succeed. So as more and more is revealed people are naturally going to trust it. I trust it already, its everyone else I think that needs the help!  Grin

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
TheStandard.io█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
FollowMe

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:16:26 PM

Afaik David said in one of his latest posts ca. one week, there are some little things he wants to implement also.
Kunfu

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 05:18:26 PM

time to invest maybe?
FollowMe

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:06:24 PM

time to invest maybe?

Sure i am in.  Cool
unusualfacts30

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

time to invest maybe?

waiting on BTC to arrive to my trex account so I can buy more. Damn BTC is slow!!!! I transferred it half an hour ago and it's still showing pending.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
Adderral

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 06:19:45 PM

It's great time ti buy more indeed. I did just bough a BTC worth.  Cool

Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 268 »
  Print  

Jump to: