Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916310 times)
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

I assume you powered up one of these 'rackable units' as an interim step with one or more boards in it.
How did it do?
WOuld assume that's the good news Wink
Yes, you're probably right. Smiley

Reckon I just got somewhat confused by the pictures and don't really understand what I'm seeing in them.

Looking at the top image I had the impression they were full length boards and assumed that each one was a 'hashing board'. However, in the bottom row of the bottom image it is clear to see that these take up only about a half of the cage depth at most.

Perhaps what we're seeing here is ten power supply modules (psm) in each cage?
Awaiting the addition of ten hashing boards?
(But they don't, to me, look like the picture of a psm posted in:
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1493791#msg1493791)

If so, I don't see where the hashing boards will be inserted.

Hmmm, perhaps that front 'black bar' is a two slot 'back plane'? And each hashing board plugs in next to each psm?

Regardless, all idle speculation. We will know all we need to know soon enough.  Cheesy

Those look like the board in the front-left back-right of the photo, the hashing boards with no VM connectors or heatsinks. (EDIT: I just saw the heatsinks, they are on the opposite side of the PCB from the camera and don't stand out, but they have heatsinks!) I'd say they are either real boards or engineering samples from the PCB layout process used to validate components fit in the case.

I'm assuming that the final unit will look like a lot of blade-server or telco systems with a mid-plane/backplane behind these boards that connects to one or more VRM modules as well as a controller or other upstream connection.

This is very good news for upgradability with newer generations of hashing boards (they could even make them hot-swap if they wanted to spend the effort)

Very nice work guys!

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:51:11 PM

I must be getting old.  The longer I look at those pictures, the more they look like renderings to me.

Anyhow, they do appear to be built for a backplane.  That should be the white connector on the back of each board.  The white things at the top and bottom appear to be just guides.

More interesting, they are built for vertical airflow.  Either they are planning to put a fan module at the top of each stack, or they are built for a datacenter with ducted cabinets.

Looks like 40 or 48 chips per blade, and using the PCB for heat conduction, which fits with the QFN package shown earlier.  Or the ASIC is on the side under the heatsink and we are seeing a rectangular grid of something else.  It is hard to tell from these angles.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:05:07 PM

I must be getting old.  The longer I look at those pictures, the more they look like renderings to me.

Anyhow, they do appear to be built for a backplane.  That should be the white connector on the back of each board.  The white things at the top and bottom appear to be just guides.

More interesting, they are built for vertical airflow.  Either they are planning to put a fan module at the top of each stack, or they are built for a datacenter with ducted cabinets.

Looks like 40 or 48 chips per blade, and using the PCB for heat conduction, which fits with the QFN package shown earlier.  Or the ASIC is on the side under the heatsink and we are seeing a rectangular grid of something else.  It is hard to tell from these angles.

Maybe you didn't see the picture from a couple pages ago:

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:14:07 PM

I hate to be a d*ck, but...

I'm trying to decide if it's a bad thing that asicminer will own, at a minimum, just above 4/7 of the company when the IPO was designed as an even split.

Keep this in mind if an issue is brought to the asicminer board about suspending dividends to accumulate capital for R/D.

In a situation like that I'd say, why not just sell those extra 50k shares you decided to keep indefinitely.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 11:14:57 PM

I'm trying to decide if it's a bad thing that asicminer will own, at a minimum, just above 4/7 of the company when the IPO was designed as an even split.

Keep this in mind if an issue is brought to the asicminer board about suspending dividends to accumulate capital for R/D.

In a situation like that I'd say, why not just sell those extra 50k shares you decided to keep indefinitely.

It honestly make no odds.  Imagine the shares were split exactly 50/50.  If Bitfountain all vote for something what would be the odds that EVERY shareholder would vote no?  About 0%.

If you don't trust them to act in good faith you shouldn't invest in the first place - it's not like there's some SEC equivalent with any power to do anything is there?

Even if every single shareholder voted, with a 50/50 split bitfountain would only need to hold 1 share of the ones sold on GLBSE to get a majority.  So it makes no practical odds as far as voting is concerned that they hold 4/7 instead of 1/2.  The single biggest difference not selling those shares makes is that the original 0.1 BTC/share paid gets repaid faster.

And at some point down the line it will almost certainly make sense to suspend or cut-back on dividends to fund growth/R&D -
that's why we bought equity in a company rather than some shitty mining bond/company that will pay out dividends whilst losing value at a faster rate than it pays out.
scrybe

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 12:27:02 AM

Retained Earnings are good for us as shareholders and will lead to a faster payback.
http://bit.ly/W15QPs

BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
meowmeowbrowncow

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:14:04 AM

Retained Earnings are good for us as shareholders and will lead to a faster payback.
http://bit.ly/W15QPs

I agree on both points.  Even though I don't think RE has all of the same kind of implications when ASICMiner isn't a true equity stake.

And the faster payback point will be so temporary that's not my concern at all.

And I don't care to get in to conversations about stock valuations based on increased assets due to RE.  

My point, which was sidestepped with this RE tangent, is that was the IPO written in such a way to imply that exactly half of the company would be sold to the public?  

So, shareholders fund the entire startup costs of the company and end up with 38% 'ownership.'  It was exactly this point, what is ASICMiner's % of the company, that was debated in some detail when ASICMiner announced the IPO.

In my mind that was the expectation set.  Whether or not it happened immediately after IPO or eventually as more buyers appeared.

Of course, there are no rules to prevent a 'best effort' IPO with unsold shares retained by the issuer.  But with this 50/50 ownership thing in mind what is right?  Jacking up RE or selling off the 12% of shares?

Anyway, it's a pretty pointless discussion.  We know the likely answer is RE instead of selling off the remainder of what was offered at IPO.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
scrybe

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:42:27 AM

I agree on both points.  Even though I don't think RE has all of the same kind of implications when ASICMiner isn't a true equity stake.

And I don't care to get in to conversations about stock valuations based on increased assets due to RE.  

My point, which was sidestepped with this RE tangent, is that was the IPO written in such a way to imply that exactly half of the company would be sold to the public?  

So, shareholders fund the entire startup costs of the company and end up with 38% 'ownership.'  It was exactly this point, what is ASICMiner's % of the company, that was debated in some detail when ASICMiner announced the IPO.

In my mind that was the expectation set.  Whether or not it happened immediately after IPO or eventually as more buyers appeared.

Of course, there are no rules to prevent a 'best effort' IPO with unsold shares retained by the issuer.  But with this 50/50 ownership thing in mind what is right?  Jacking up RE or selling off the 12% of shares?

Anyway, it's a pretty pointless discussion.  We know the likely answer is RE instead of selling off the remainder of what was offered at IPO.

Interesting, I was approaching the valuation from the other side. The principals in this company have put in the same effort that they would have if they had been funded 100% to plan, but they only attained 76% of the intended capital because of circumstances beyond their control. This means that ASICMiner (not the parent) retains ownership of those shares (which will not get dividends), and they could release them to raise additional funding if desired/needed, but that would dilute the dividend value of our shares so I'm not for it unless the benefit will outweigh the dilution.

I'm curious why you think it matters if they have 50% or 62%, it's not like a hostile takeover was likely to work without a lot of lawyers.

matauc12

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:20:37 AM

Has there ever been a confirmation on what will happen with the excess BTC that was not convertd to $

The exchange rate doubled since, will go a long way towards designing a next-gen chip, or will it b distributed as a special dividnd?
Operational cash is the most likely scenario. Could be used for R&D or for covering utility bills.

Technically, these shares belong to ASICMINER itself - it thus acts like a shareholder who invests all dividends back into the business.

So if I understand correctly, from what you say, bitfountain now effectively owns 250k shares?
No. That wouldn't make sense. The unsold shares of ASICMINER act as potential equity in future financing rounds. The availability of unsold shares has the advantage that dilution can be avoided if the 12% cover financing needs.
oh, OK...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:29:03 AM

Update

Peeping over one of our subracks:

Four of them waiting to populate on racks:

Very PROFESSIONAL looking,  like the spirit  Cheesy

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 11:19:22 AM

What would change when the rest of the shares would sell? There would only one or more shareholders. So what should that be good for? The dividends now go to bitfountain and if the shares are sold these dividends would go to a shareholder. You wouldnt have an advantage.

I mean you could have bought when the ipo was. To claim that these shares has to be sold now sounds a bit like you want to invest in a sure profit for low money. I dont think that is worth to discuss.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
VJain

Activity: 305

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 04:43:49 PM

Might as well hold off on issuing the rest of the shares till more funds are needed for expansion? I'm assuming the entire batch of chips/materials ordered were already funded - so any additional funding would not be in the best interest of ASICMINER Shareholders?

Making Apps and Websites for people. I charge reasonable rates ($30-40/hour in BTC).
matauc12

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:28:10 PM

Might as well hold off on issuing the rest of the shares till more funds are needed for expansion? I'm assuming the entire batch of chips/materials ordered were already funded - so any additional funding would not be in the best interest of ASICMINER Shareholders?
It has been confirmed that there is currently no plan to issue them....

And the "option" the reissue them has no effect on ownership or dividends since its 1/400000 either way. The only reason to sell them would be for quick capital.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 10:51:22 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2013, 12:08:42 AM by niko

And the "option" the reissue them has no effect on ownership or dividends since its 1/400000 either way. The only reason to sell them would be for quick capital.
Still, the important question is: what is the fate of profits belonging to the unsold shares? This does have effect on my shares - Bitfountain simply scooping these profits is different from these profits being accumulated and used to maintain ASICMINER's competitive advantage through re-investment, upgrades, and covering operating costs.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
matauc12

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 01:15:15 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2013, 06:03:51 AM by matauc12

Still, the important question is: what is the fate of profits belonging to the unsold shares? This does have effect on my shares - Bitfountain simply scooping these profits is different from these profits being accumulated and used to maintain ASICMINER's competitive advantage through re-investment, upgrades, and covering operating costs.
obviously, but that wasn't part of my quoted message.

Since it was agreed upon by us that it was split 1/400000, there is not much to argue about here, but IMO, those unsold shares should be a direct fund for operation cost. Which, I believe is fair to all shareholders, as opposed to some alternatives.
meowmeowbrowncow

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 10:52:20 PM

What would change when the rest of the shares would sell? There would only one or more shareholders. So what should that be good for? The dividends now go to bitfountain and if the shares are sold these dividends would go to a shareholder. You wouldnt have an advantage.

I mean you could have bought when the ipo was. To claim that these shares has to be sold now sounds a bit like you want to invest in a sure profit for low money. I dont think that is worth to discuss.

In short, no.  Not my point or intention at all.  Nice accusation, though, thanks.

meowmeowbrowncow

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 11:07:05 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2013, 11:19:26 PM by meowmeowbrowncow

Interesting, I was approaching the valuation from the other side. The principals in this company have put in the same effort that they would have if they had been funded 100% to plan, but they only attained 76% of the intended capital because of circumstances beyond their control. This means that ASICMiner (not the parent) retains ownership of those shares (which will not get dividends), and they could release them to raise additional funding if desired/needed, but that would dilute the dividend value of our shares so I'm not for it unless the benefit will outweigh the dilution.

I'm curious why you think it matters if they have 50% or 62%, it's not like a hostile takeover was likely to work without a lot of lawyers.

Hmm.  The spirit of the initial discussion around the IPO, IIRC, what % would be available to the public in exchange for financing.  Me bringing this point up again has little to do with take-overs, or wanting to buy that 12% cheaply as Sabastian accused me of.

Since ASICMiner is in a fortunate position to have an extra 12% of shares what are they being used for?
Are they being retained and not receiving dividends?

If what you say is correct, and if it is I completely agree with your point of view, that dividends will be distributed to a smaller number of shares - GREAT!

If not and these shares receive dividends where is this money going?  Re-investment?  Ok, good.  Not a bad thing at all.  But if they take dividends of 12% of shares for OpEx and R/D, but then down the road say 'Hey, we don't have enough money we need to withhold dividends to gain capital,' well, wouldn't that be crap.  A pretty good reason to cry foul.

If you look at comments below it leaves me in a confused state as to whether or not shares are retained, earn dividends and if those dividends are used for re-investment.

Since it was agreed upon by us that it was split 1/400000, there is not much to argue about here, but IMO, those unsold shares should be a direct fund for operation cost. Which, I believe is fair to all shareholders, as opposed to some alternatives.

No. That wouldn't make sense. The unsold shares of ASICMINER act as potential equity in future financing rounds. The availability of unsold shares has the advantage that dilution can be avoided if the 12% cover financing needs.

Edited to clean up the quotes

matauc12

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 11:16:59 PM

Hmm.  The spirit of the initial discussion around the IPO, IIRC, what % would be available to the public in exchange for financing.  Me bringing this point up again has little to do with take-overs, or wanting to buy that 12% cheaply as Sabastian accused me of.

Since ASICMiner is in a fortunate position to have an extra 12% of shares what are they being used for?
Are they being retained and not receiving dividends?

If what you say is correct, and if it is I completely agree with your point of view, that dividends will be distributed to a smaller number of shares - GREAT!

If not and these shares receive dividends where is this money going?  Re-investment?  Ok, good.  Not a bad thing at all.  But if they take dividends of 12% of shares for OpEx and R/D, but then down the road say 'Hey, we don't have enough money we need to withhold dividends to gain capital,' well, wouldn't that be crap.  A pretty good reason to cry foul.

If you look at Jatarul's comments below it leaves me in a confused state as to whether or not shares are retained, earn dividends and if those dividends are used for re-investment.

You seem to imply it isn't a relative matter. If its used for operation and R&D, there is no guarantee that it will be sufficient. If it isn't, you still need to retain dividends, but to a lesser extent, which is still a win.

The only venue that those extra shares doesn't benefit shareholders is if bitfountain pockets them and that's the end of it. Where the operation and R&D cost would be full cost and no extra dividends (if it would have been redistributed, which has been implied that it is not the plan).
meowmeowbrowncow

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 11:41:29 PM

The only venue that those extra shares doesn't benefit shareholders is if bitfountain pockets them and that's the end of it. Where the operation and R&D cost would be full cost and no extra dividends (if it would have been redistributed, which has been implied that it is not the plan).

Ok, thanks.  That gives me a little more clarity about if retained shares earn dividends and for what purpose the proceeds would be used.

Let's hope "implied" as you said is the real deal.  And that %12 of shares could equate to a very large amount of money.  I will raise an eyebrow if dividends are suspended.

I'll just concede in regards to the 50/50 matter.  

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 11:42:26 PM

Peeping over one of our subracks:

What, no fans?  These ASICS need moar fans.  Everyone knows ASICS use lots of fans.

Check out my operation, IceASIC Inc:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: