Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:30:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916385 times)
utens

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:00:43 PM

with KNC announcement of SCRYPT ASICS and friedcat not seeing them be a worthwhile investment. with the prices of other alts and interest in scrypt  asics - does asicminer not find it a good market to explore as well. with a well made scryptasic this year (possible solo mining) it could give friedcat and AM further revenue, stronger foothold in cryptocurrency, diversification and many other benefits. someone should talk to him about exploring this option again.

The point in scrypt is that it's ASIC resistant and the Litcoin devs are against ASICs. They might very well alter the code or switch to sth else than scrypt and make your 10K USD scrypt ASIC into a very expensive doorstop (you could probably still use it as an electric heater, hoping it's not too noisy for the home).

I can see why FC doesn't want to waste allocate resources for developing a scrypt ASIC.

+1. scrypt ASICs dont make much sense. If a single cryptocurrency is to succeed it would be Bitcoin, otherwise it would be another SHA-256 coin that improves significantly in a few ways (such as smaller size blockchain, shorter block times, or the capability to handle much more volume) so that the massive pile of existing infrastructure remains useful and secures the network.

its like inventing the stone wheel, then deciding that the rubber-covered square is the real game-changer

What about the rubber covered wheel
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:14:18 PM

with KNC announcement of SCRYPT ASICS and friedcat not seeing them be a worthwhile investment. with the prices of other alts and interest in scrypt  asics - does asicminer not find it a good market to explore as well. with a well made scryptasic this year (possible solo mining) it could give friedcat and AM further revenue, stronger foothold in cryptocurrency, diversification and many other benefits. someone should talk to him about exploring this option again.

The point in scrypt is that it's ASIC resistant and the Litcoin devs are against ASICs. They might very well alter the code or switch to sth else than scrypt and make your 10K USD scrypt ASIC into a very expensive doorstop (you could probably still use it as an electric heater, hoping it's not too noisy for the home).

I can see why FC doesn't want to waste allocate resources for developing a scrypt ASIC.

+1. scrypt ASICs dont make much sense. If a single cryptocurrency is to succeed it would be Bitcoin, otherwise it would be another SHA-256 coin that improves significantly in a few ways (such as smaller size blockchain, shorter block times, or the capability to handle much more volume) so that the massive pile of existing infrastructure remains useful and secures the network.

its like inventing the stone wheel, then deciding that the rubber-covered square is the real game-changer

I don't think they can force a hard fork given ASICs are rolling out and making an impact, it'll only destroy the coin by forcing a hard fork, so scrypt ASIC and coins are here to stay!
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:24:49 PM

I don't think they can force a hard fork given ASICs are rolling out and making an impact, it'll only destroy the coin by forcing a hard fork, so scrypt ASIC and coins are here to stay!

correct - "hardforking" litecoin will likely kill it or cause financial losses to those vested in it. ain't gonna happen.
also, you have to really understand that just cause it makes sense to you doesn't mean the world will be on the same page. if litecoin shoots up to $100 after scrypt asics people will be fine mining them as well.
keep in minding that implementing BOTH bitcoin and say litecoin is ALMOST frictionless since it doesn't require much "coding changes"
i'm almost certain that prices of litecoin will approach $100 by year end and scrypt asics could be a huge opportunity (WITH LITTLE RISK).
you don't want ASICMINER to be like "intel with mobile chips" - completely miss a money making opportunity.
doesn't matter if you like scrypt or litecoins - if it makes money and good amount of money friedcat should apply his expertise.

ok
eb3full
VIP

Activity: 198
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:34:51 PM

No dividend yet? Weird...

"With four parameters I can fit an elephant, and with five I can make him wiggle his trunk." John von Neumann
buy me beer: 1HG9cBBYME4HUVhfAqQvW9Vqwh3PLioHcU
bitcoin.newsfeed

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:55:19 PM

No dividend yet? Weird...

aaaaand no update too Sad maybe they're updating to 0.9 ... but what about that deleted update ... something happened, again Sad

about that scam-coins discussion : Once more, what is the purpose of LTC ? Really ? What can LTC offer over Bitcoin ? Now ? In future ? Do you pro-LTC guys know, that one mayor thing what gives bitcoin value, is named scarcity ? That we have hard coded 21M limit ? So that it never be more than 21M coins out there ? You really want to add 84M LTCs into it ? Inflating bitcoin in a big way like FED is inflating USD ? "Printing" next alt-coins ? What next ? I am happy that companies like BitPay or ASICminer doesn't support alt-coins. They understand. Greedy miners don't.

... Question Everything, Believe Nothing ...
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 08:01:55 PM

with KNC announcement of SCRYPT ASICS and friedcat not seeing them be a worthwhile investment. with the prices of other alts and interest in scrypt  asics - does asicminer not find it a good market to explore as well. with a well made scryptasic this year (possible solo mining) it could give friedcat and AM further revenue, stronger foothold in cryptocurrency, diversification and many other benefits. someone should talk to him about exploring this option again.

I rather prefer to see them crushing their competition with what they do now: push innovation (things like immersion cooling) and superior architecture. Bitcoin mining will always be about being one step ahead and that's what is giving us an edge and a leading role in the future.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:14:28 PM

I agree that a hard fork would be destructive but I don't know if scrypt-coins are here to stay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main purpose of scrypt to be asic resistant and now that asics exist we might see a new algorithm that is more gpu friendly and more asic resistant causing most gpuminers to switch and bringing down the value of scrypt coins as they do so.

I don't think there is a big enough market to justify the risks of creating a scrypt asic but then again the same could have been said a year ago with bitcoin.
superduh

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:50:33 PM

I agree that a hard fork would be destructive but I don't know if scrypt-coins are here to stay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main purpose of scrypt to be asic resistant and now that asics exist we might see a new algorithm that is more gpu friendly and more asic resistant causing most gpuminers to switch and bringing down the value of scrypt coins as they do so.

I don't think there is a big enough market to justify the risks of creating a scrypt asic but then again the same could have been said a year ago with bitcoin.

you're ignoring the big picture, the realllly BIG picture. did gpus leaving bitcoin drive the price down? no, it drove the price up many times. why would you think the same thing will not happen with scrypt coins! bitcoin is great but just focusing on how great it is while avoiding the big picture is a dangerous task. if you can make more money building scrypt miners and selling them to the public than say "immersion cooling" than they should be "profit seeking". being altruistic and true to "bitcoin" doesn't matter since this isn't a "nonprofit" company.
friedcat is here to make himself a lot of money and make his investors a lot of money - no point to discuss whether litecoin will be around in x years when he can make a lot of money for himself and investors in the time being. go where the money is going.

ok
jimmothy

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:56:23 PM

Difference between bitcoin and litecoin is that the sole success of litecoin was due to being asic resistant.

But I cannot pretend to know how scrypt asics will effect the coins as anything could happen.

I think if FC wants to venture down that road I would support him but if he feels it would not be worth it and instead would like to focus only on btc asics I would support him as well.
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:46:55 PM

you're ignoring the big picture, the realllly BIG picture. did gpus leaving bitcoin drive the price down? no, it drove the price up many times. why would you think the same thing will not happen with scrypt coins! bitcoin is great but just focusing on how great it is while avoiding the big picture is a dangerous task. if you can make more money building scrypt miners and selling them to the public than say "immersion cooling" than they should be "profit seeking". being altruistic and true to "bitcoin" doesn't matter since this isn't a "nonprofit" company.
friedcat is here to make himself a lot of money and make his investors a lot of money - no point to discuss whether litecoin will be around in x years when he can make a lot of money for himself and investors in the time being. go where the money is going.

What makes you think the ASICs coming to GPUs leaving BTC made the price go up?? Where do you find the causality??
superduh

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:31:52 PM

What makes you think the ASICs coming to GPUs leaving BTC made the price go up?? Where do you find the causality??

noone can prove causality about anything bitcoin related for the most part. but, look at the correlation. look at the time that asics started mass coming out and the price (obviously many factors involved). the theory is that miners spent way too much on mining gear that probably wont roi in btc  so them selling at a loss didn't make sense so hence driving prices up (miners refusing to sell below fiat/btc cost) - mining costs are essentially a floor at the moment. there are many theories of course. regardless, people are going against alt coins for the wrong reasons.

it's purely a "business decision" where if profit > cost or opportunity cost than you do something.
100mh (effectively 100gh in sha-2) mining is going for 10k. there's obviously higher margins there for the time being.

ok
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:52:46 PM

It would be pretty cool if ASICMINER was in peak mining form (i.e., huge dividends) in two months at the same time the next big rally is underway. That would be quite the wealth multiplier.

Lol I thought of Peak Oil when you said that and was like na there will always be new discoveries increasing reserves and if the price keeps rising higher demand pushing the technology and industry to keep exploring where it once didn't seem viable Tongue

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
bitcoin.newsfeed

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:03:58 PM

hmmm 00:00 in my country right now, do we have 1st week without dividend ? Undecided Board, any info for heads up? Whats happening?  Undecided

... Question Everything, Believe Nothing ...
nycgoat

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:13:58 AM

hmmm 00:00 in my country right now, do we have 1st week without dividend ? Undecided Board, any info for heads up? Whats happening?  Undecided

Their address has plenty of coins in it, probably just a software bug on their end.  I think they paid our a day late last week too.
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:40:12 AM

noone can prove causality about anything bitcoin related for the most part. but, look at the correlation. look at the time that asics started mass coming out and the price (obviously many factors involved). the theory is that miners spent way too much on mining gear that probably wont roi in btc  so them selling at a loss didn't make sense so hence driving prices up (miners refusing to sell below fiat/btc cost) - mining costs are essentially a floor at the moment. there are many theories of course. regardless, people are going against alt coins for the wrong reasons.

it's purely a "business decision" where if profit > cost or opportunity cost than you do something.
100mh (effectively 100gh in sha-2) mining is going for 10k. there's obviously higher margins there for the time being.

Price for bitcoins went up right around when they got more media publicity and the US senate hearings about bitcoins, etc. The overall movement of BTC around the bitcoin economy in a given day is far larger than the amount of coins mined in a given day, so miners have only a minimal impact on bitcoin exchange rates. It all just goes back to supply and demand.

In regards to scrypt ASICs... let's just focus on getting gen3 out into the market and make some profit off that. I'd say the next priority after that should be gen4, presumably on a 22-28nm process, which should stay profitable for a longer time, as the easy gains of process size will then be behind us and bitcoin miner ASIC process size will then only advance at the pace of technological advance, rather than doing the super quick catch up from nothing to current technology levels that we've seen over the past year.
vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:44:37 AM

Funny that nobody is looking at the efficiency of the Scrypt ASICs. I am still going very well with my 7970s compared to all Scrypt ASCICs offered now.

Friedcat stated clearly why ASICMINER will not go for the manufacturing of SCRYPT ASICs.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg3222593#msg3222593
jimmothy

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:47:16 AM

Funny that nobody is looking at the efficiency of the Scrypt ASICs. I am still going very well with my 7970s compared to all Scrypt ASCICs offered now.

Friedcat stated clearly why ASICMINER will not go for the manufacturing of SCRYPT ASICs.

Did you see kncminers new 100mh scrypt miner? $0.1/kh cant beat that.
vortex1878

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:54:10 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2014, 04:37:15 PM by vortex1878

Nope. I don't wanna burn my house down with vaporware.

Anyway I should ignore anything a mongo troll like you is posting, fucktard. Facepalm to myself reading you. Ouch.
jimmothy

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:01:11 AM

Anyway I should ignore anything a mongo troll like you is posting, fucktard. Facepalm to myself reading you. Ouch.

I'm sorry if the news bothers you but no need to go off like that.

Fact is that gpus are going to need to find a new algorithm/coin to mine when these scrypt asics hit.
vortex1878

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:06:00 AM

I'm sorry if the news bothers you but no need to go off like that.

Fact is that gpus are going to need to find a new algorithm/coin to mine when these scrypt asics hit.

LÖL. No news are bothering me at all. Just your mongoloidness. Great that you prove it again. Might wanna shut up for the sake of us all? Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: