Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:22:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 [943] 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916327 times)
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:20:20 AM

Gent's this thread isn't about who has the biggest theoretical ASIC dick. If you need to fantasize about that may I suggest you do it somewhere else and not necessarily in public. The claims are useless in an industry where the realities are manufacturers are rarely on spec and more importantly on time. The moment you state your assumptions as facts you lose all credibility and no one listens to you anymore.

Let's talk again in 3 months!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
necro_nemesis

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:38:08 AM

I have little doubt that the the supporting hardware can be made on time. Circuit board and software development is a well developed and disciplined field that has decades of experience. That's not a concern.

There was mention of quality. By it's disposable nature most mining hardware is junk just built able to function long enough and get to market quickly enough to be profitable. This isn't an industry where you are rewarded for quality unless it affects reliability for the short duration of the hardware's useful life. No marks added for quality beyond that point. Spondoolies may make the finest box to use for a paperweight three months from now.
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:39:39 AM

I have little doubt that the the supporting hardware can be made on time. Circuit board and software development is a well developed and disciplined field that has decades of experience. That's not a concern.

There was mention of quality. By it's disposable nature most mining hardware is junk just built able to function long enough and get to market quickly enough to be profitable. This isn't an industry where you are rewarded for quality unless it affects reliability for the short duration of the hardware's useful life. No marks added for quality beyond that point. Spondoolies may make the finest box to use for a paperweight three months from now.

wrong, stability = quality.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:42:06 AM

Gent's this thread isn't about who has the biggest theoretical ASIC dick. If you need to fantasize about that may I suggest you do it somewhere else and not necessarily in public. The claims are useless in an industry where the realities are manufacturers are rarely on spec and more importantly on time. The moment you state your assumptions as facts you lose all credibility and no one listens to you anymore.

So first time you are talking about a product (gen2 chips) and after my reply you switch to another product(gen1 chips)? Why not stay on topic?

necro_nemesis

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:51:28 AM

@roadstress. I'm not sure where your making the assumption I'm strictly specifically addressing your comments to use as arguments.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:22:52 PM

$30/400gh is impressive. Surprising that HF is supposedly out of money even with 100 times markup. 750gh gets 0.8w/gh so its not really worth it or won't be for long.

spoonsomethings costs are special because ~0.35w/gh puts it in another class of asics. I don't think AM gen3 (or any current gen) will compete with it.

Nope, half the power consumption isnt another class. Thats well within range of what any particular chip can do depending on voltage. Im pretty sure most current 28nm vendors could hit those efficiencies if they wanted to, albeit it at the expense of performance per chip. All thats needed is lowering the voltage and reducing the clock. Let me illustrate with a typical schmoo plot, showing the relationship between clock and voltage of whatever chip:

For this chip, maximum frequency is 1GHz and getting there requires 2V. If this plot applied to a bitcoin asic, most bitcoin mining vendors would probably pick around 1.85V for 900-950Mhz, since performance/$ is still far more important than per watt. Evidence of that is that most mining chips are only marginally overclockable, even if you seriously increase voltage/cooling. It simply makes more sense to pick a point at the high end of the curve today.

Now if you were to downclock that very same chip to, say, 400 MHz, you need only ~1V. Please note the relationship between voltage and and power draw is quadratic. So the 400GHz clocked chip,  would be almost twice as power efficient as the one clocked at 900 MHz.

This is exactly what bitmain did, and when the need arises, so will Cointerra, HF, KnC, Bitmine, BFL, and all the other 28nm vendors. 0.35W/GH at the chip level is nothing special.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:15:10 PM

Im pretty sure most current 28nm vendors could hit those efficiencies if they wanted to

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple or they would all be advertising/doing it.

This is exactly what bitmain did, and when the need arises, so will Cointerra, HF, KnC, Bitmine, BFL, and all the other 28nm vendors. 0.35W/GH at the chip level is nothing special.

If knc could simply lower their voltage why would they spend 10 million on 20nm nre just to get 0.4w/gh at the chip level?

What makes you think the next gen of asics won't be similarly underclockable?
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:24:07 PM

Im pretty sure most current 28nm vendors could hit those efficiencies if they wanted to

If knc could simply lower their voltage why would they spend 10 million on 20nm nre just to get 0.4w/gh at the chip level?

What makes you think the next gen of asics won't be similarly underclockable?

every chip is underclockable. Bitmain can achieve anything from 1w/GH to 2.2w/GH depending on the frequency and voltage.  I am sure 0.8w/GH could be achieved if they wanted to go even lower

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:43:05 PM

Your ignorance of laws of physics doesnt change them. Every one with some experience over/underclocking CPU's and GPU's would be well aware of the range and impact of  core voltages.

As for why they arent doing it yet; it doesnt make financial sense yet. Hardware prices are still far too high, electricity cost is still utterly marginal for most large customers. Pricing is done per GH, cutting that in half to get better power efficiency doesnt pay off now. Fast forward 6 months and you will see.

Because 20nm should also be cheaper to produce per GH, due to the increased transistor density. Not that I  (ever) expect(ed) a 20nm part before late fall, but thats another story.
jimmothy

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:39:51 PM

Your ignorance of laws of physics doesnt change them. Every one with some experience over/underclocking CPU's and GPU's would be well aware of the range and impact of  core voltages.

As for why they arent doing it yet; it doesnt make financial sense yet. Hardware prices are still far too high, electricity cost is still utterly marginal for most large customers. Pricing is done per GH, cutting that in half to get better power efficiency doesnt pay off now. Fast forward 6 months and you will see.

What makes you so sure that current gen chips are underclockable to better than advertised efficiency? Like how bitmine advertised low power mode at 0.35w/gh (according to your understanding of physics it should have worked) yet underclocking did diddly squat.

You need some evidence before you can claim so confidently that all current gen chips are underclockable to below 0.4w/gh (at a reasonable $/gh)

Because 20nm should also be cheaper to produce per GH, due to the increased transistor density. Not that I  (ever) expect(ed) a 20nm part before late fall, but thats another story.

How exactly is spending 10 million rushing to the smallest node size cheaper? According to nvidia 20nm is less cost effective than 28nm.
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 05:04:51 PM

According to nvidia...

Roll Eyes

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 06:11:45 PM

That's why HashFail was so successful? They subcontracted the PCB design and we all know how that ended. With a big FAIL. It seems that the decades of experience weren't of any use for them.

Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:13:01 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2014, 07:03:33 AM by Puppet

What makes you so sure that current gen chips are underclockable to better than advertised efficiency? Like how bitmine advertised low power mode at 0.35w/gh (according to your understanding of physics it should have worked) yet underclocking did diddly squat.

Underclocking alone indeed does "diddly squat" to power efficiency. The key is lowering the core voltage. If core voltage can not be raised/lowered to achieve higher speed/better efficiency, that generally hints at a design flaw. I have no idea whats going on with bitmine specifically. Got a link showing that power effiency does not increase quadratic with voltage?

You need some evidence before you can claim so confidently that all current gen chips are underclockable to below 0.4w/gh (at a reasonable $/gh)

I dont, because I never made that claim.

How exactly is spending 10 million rushing to the smallest node size cheaper?

If you dont understand the difference between NRE and per GH production cost, there is not much I can do. Not that $10M sounds realistic to me, for a chip as simple as a bitcoin miner. Its not going to have 15 metal layers like a highend CPU or GPU. Id be surprised if it has more than 3, maybe 4.
necro_nemesis

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:21:58 AM

That's why HashFail was so successful? They subcontracted the PCB design and we all know how that ended. With a big FAIL. It seems that the decades of experience weren't of any use for them.

Incompetence caused the failure. Whether it was internal or external is one of the circumstances it occurred under. One cannot conclude the act of subcontracting will lead to failure unless your contractor happens to be a cage full of orangutans.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:28:28 AM

Incompetence caused the failure. Whether it was internal or external is one of the circumstances it occurred under. One cannot conclude the act of subcontracting will lead to failure unless your contractor happens to be a cage full of orangutans.

It's hard to distinguish between incompetence and systematic fraud.  Most of hashfast's actions to date point towards fraud as a primary motivator - incompetence is just a side effect.
necro_nemesis

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

Now we're talking about factors which could be causal in the outcome. Fraud could be considered a success if that's your objective and happen to get away with it.
jimmothy

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:23:57 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 09:50:23 AM by jimmothy

Underclocking alone indeed does "diddly squat" to power efficiency. The key is lowering the core voltage. If core voltage can not be raised/lowered to achieve higher speed/better efficiency, that generally hints at a design flaw. I have no idea whats going on with bitmine specifically. Got a link showing that power effiency doesnt not increase quadratic with voltage?

Here is the specs https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495357.0. Again you need evidence that lowering voltage to increase efficiency is possible and because it works with cpu/gpus doesn't necessarily mean it has to work with bitcoin asics. I have yet to see bitmain/hashfast claiming anything below 0.6w/gh which they would happily do if it were possible. I assume they have already tested the chips to find out the maximum efficiency so they can advertise such. Why would they not?

I dont, because I never made that claim.

Then why did you bring it up an irrelevant claim? Neither I nor anyone else is interested in <0.4w/gh chips that are not cost effective.

How exactly is spending 10 million rushing to the smallest node size cheaper?

If you dont understand the difference between NRE and per GH production cost, there is not much I can do. Not that $10M sounds realistic to me, for a chip as simple as a bitcoin miner. Its not going to have 15 metal layers like a highend CPU or GPU. Id be surprised if it has more than 3, maybe 4.

I understand very clearly the difference. What I don't understand is why KNC would RUSH to the newest node size (spending more than necessary simply to be first) when they could simply lower voltage and save millions? Wouldn't it make sense to wait until 20nm is cheaper since production cost is nowhere near a limiting factor as of now? Only reason I can think of for doing this would be that they are limited to 0.6w/gh (at cost effective $/gh).
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 02:17:10 AM

I just noticed that I have received no dividends in April.

What's the deal?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 02:28:26 AM

I just noticed that I have received no dividends in April.

What's the deal?
Waiting on chip sales to restart dividend payouts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg6329377#msg6329377

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:38:31 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2014, 07:18:51 AM by Puppet

Here is the specs https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495357.0. Again you need evidence that lowering voltage to increase efficiency is possible and because it works with cpu/gpus doesn't necessarily mean it has to work with bitcoin asics. I have yet to see bitmain/hashfast claiming anything below 0.6w/gh which they would happily do if it were possible. I assume they have already tested the chips to find out the maximum efficiency so they can advertise such. Why would they not?

Maybe if you tried reading a bit more carefully, I wouldnt have to repeat myself over and over. How many times did I explain that to increase power efficiency you have to lower the voltage? Didnt I specifically say "Got a link showing that power effiency does not increase quadratic with voltage?"  Now, where in your first link does it show they changed the vcore? Nowhere. for whatever reason, that poster only changed the clock.  Did he not have access to the vcore settings, did he not bother trying, is it a firmware or PCB issue preventing him from changing it, I dont know nor do I care. In no way does it refute my "theory".

As for Bitmain, I never said they could achieve <0.6W on a 55nm design. Given that they already claim 0.68W/GH at the chip level, they probably can, but only I gave them as an example of doubling power efficiency without as much as a chip revision, simply by lowering clocks and voltages from near the top of the schmoo plot to somewhere lower. The same will work for your GPU, for your CPU (both of which will in fact do this automatically when mostly idle) and for pretty much any asic with programmable clock ever created because its a direct result of effects inherent to CMOS technology combined with Ohms Law.. If you dont believe me, see if I care.

I understand very clearly the difference. What I don't understand is why KNC would RUSH to the newest node size (spending more than necessary simply to be first) when they could simply lower voltage and save millions? Wouldn't it make sense to wait until 20nm is cheaper since production cost is nowhere near a limiting factor as of now? Only reason I can think of for doing this would be that they are limited to 0.6w/gh (at cost effective $/gh).

My god you are dense. You are the only one who ever claimed that the only reason KnC is moving to 20nm is to achieve <0.6W/GH. Everyone else understands that 20nm, if ever they get it working and yields become reasonable, should provide lower production cost per GH as well as better power efficiency.
Pages: « 1 ... 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 [943] 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: