Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:48:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4+ Setup [HD]  (Read 10127 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 06:16:11 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 07:44:58 AM by dogie
Merited by ABCbits (1), Steamtyme (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
    ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
    Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
    DefaultTrust Visualisation
    Power Supply analysis guide
    Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What to Expect
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Case
4) Configuration
5) Troubleshooting
6) Where to buy

0a) What to Expect (top)
Bitmain's AntMiner S4+ upgrades the original by adding an additional 44 chips across the 4 mining boards which are cooled by 4 powerful 120mm fans. A
power efficient string design is utilised along with an internal 1600W PSU. The S4+ is standalone and does not require an external controller. Mounting ears
are included.

Hashing__________________________
Chips204x BM1382 Gen2
Hashrate~2570GH
Variable Hashrate?
Max OverclockTBD
|
Powering
Rated Voltage12V
Rated Current115A
Power Consumption1480W
PSU Included?
Mains Voltage205V - 264V
Eco Modes?
110V 15A Suitable?
PCI-E Connectors?-

Cooling________________________
Max Ambient45C
Noise @ 25C75dba
Noise @ 35C75dba
Manual Fan Speed?
|
Controller
Included?
Wireless?
DHCP? Stock?
Reset? Brick Proof?
|
Safety
Fan Guards?
Enclosed PCBs?

0b) What You Need (top)
You will need a few accessories to get started.

Click your flag to find everything you need to get started at Amazon!             

1) Powering (top)
S4+'s come with a internal 1600W APW3-12-1600-B1 / B2 power supply which will power on automatically once plugged in. Please note that this PSU is
ONLY compatible with high voltage mains, between 205V and 264V. The unit will not operate outside of this range. The B1 variant utilises 12 PCI-E
connectors while the B2 variant utilises 4 pairs of M4 10 AWG spade connectors to power the hashing boards and a single PCI-E connector to power the controller
and fans.

2) Cooling (top)
The S4+ is self sufficient in cooling terms and utilises four 120x38mm fans which operate between 3500 and 4200rpm. All four are PWM controlled and
automatically react to increased temperatures. Noise levels are very high but of reasonable tone, and identical to that of the original S4. The PSU is cooled
by its own 40mm fan which remains inaudible over the main fans at all temperatures.

The rear of each hashing board is covered by a full cover aluminium heatsink with a reasonable polished finish. Each chip has individually applied thermal
paste to provide good contact. Please be careful when handling these heatsinks, they are extremely sharp.

3) Case (top)
The S4+ retains the same lightweight steel case as the original and is easy to lift and install. The case is held closed by 6 screws placed on the top
for easy internal access. The PSU's compartment is separated from the mining area and cables are neatly routed out of the way.  Please be careful when
replacing the case lid, that you make sure the grill on the lid is aligned with the PSU, else the PSU will be suffocated and may overheat.

A boxed S4+ weighs 14.4kg and measures 580mm x 5650mm x 265mm while the unit alone weighs 12.4kg and measures 440mm x 425mm x 132mm.

Click here to see a 360 degree view!

4) Configuration (top)
The S4+ is standalone and does not require an external controller.

Wiring:
  • Plug in a power cable from the AntMiner to the mains.
  • Plug in an ethernet cable from the AntMiner to you router.

Configuration:
  • The unit will automatically power on when you provide it power.
  • Make sure that your router's DHCP table is turned on. You can assume it is already on if you have a typical router.
  • Using a browser, navigate to your router and find the IP it has assigned the S4+ and navigate to that IP.
  • Login using "root" as both the username and password.
  • Navigate to the page Status -> Miner Configuration. Enter your pool information in the below format. Click "Save & Apply".
  • Navigate to the page "Miner Status" to check mining has started.
Antpool Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.antpool.com:3333
User    : username.worker or username_worker - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword
BTCGuild Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.btcguild.com:3333
User    : username_worker
GHash IO Register!
Code:
Servers : us1.ghash.io:3333
User    : username.worker  - auto creates workers!

5) Troubleshooting (top)
Under ASIC status, one chip is always an "x"?Will the miner ever beep?
  - There is a faulty chip - nothing we can do. Hash rate will be affected by ~1%.  - No, the beeper was removed on the S4+. The Miner configuration option
of "Beeper Ringing" does not do anything.

Under ASIC status, one row is almost all "x"es?

I can connect to the Antminer but the status page is blank?
  - One board may have dropped temporarily. Try hard resetting the miner by powering it on and off.  - You may have entered an incorrect miner setting causing cgminer
to crash. Post a screenshot of your configuration page if still unsure.

How do I reset settings to default?

What temperatures should I aim for?
  - Use a paper clip to press the reset button - located next to the LEDs and ethernet connector - down for 5-10 seconds. The miner will then reset with stock settings.  - Try and achieve <75°C for best hash rates, and <85°C for long lifetimes.
Temperatures over 90°C will cause an overheat warning to be issued and
over 95°C will cause the miner to stop.

How do I change the login password?

Where can I get the latest firmware?
  - Navigate to System -> Administration. Enter the current password and enter your new one twice.  - Download from Bitmain's site.

What is the SSH login?

How can I tell what firmware version I have now?
  - Username "root", password "admin".  - Navigate to System -> Overview and look at "File System Version".

What do the LEDs on the front mean?

How do I install the latest firmware?
  - The green LED will flash when mining, and the red LED will remain on while in an error or overheat state.  - Download firmware as above. Navigate to System -> Upgrade and click
"browse". Select the downloaded file and click "Flash image". Do NOT
interrupt this process or you will brick the unit.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

6) Where to buy (top)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:20:14 AM

Another nice guide!  Love your pictures as always.

How the S4 is pretty good on overclocking.  Does the S4+ see to overclock well? If so what numbers have you got.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 06:31:29 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2015, 07:53:09 AM by dogie

Another nice guide!  Love your pictures as always.

How the S4 is pretty good on overclocking.  Does the S4+ see to overclock well? If so what numbers have you got.

S4+ will likely overclock well as its stock is just 200MHZ but I've not tested it enough yet.

We've got plenty of headroom on the PSU but our limiter will likely be temps for anyone with a warm ambient. If you look at the data graph there isn't much headroom left @ 40C before we end up at 90C which is the alarm temp, and 95C which is the cutoff temp.

Edit: As Janet pointed out, also have to factor in that we only have the stock voltage of 0.706V to play with.
Edt2: And overclocking will obviously void any warranty.
Edit3: Initial results at 225M were 2738GH @ 1675W, 87C @ 40C ambient. So +200W for +170GH.

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 07:46:01 AM

Nice guide once again.

Just one thing, I haven't received my +s yet so I don't know if it's actually aluminium, but the S4 definitely isn't. It's steel.. Might want to correct that.

I'm disappointed that bitmain locked voltage control down, but not surprised after they stripped the S4 of that functionality with a firmware update.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 07:56:10 AM

Nice guide once again.

Just one thing, I haven't received my +s yet so I don't know if it's actually aluminium, but the S4 definitely isn't. It's steel.. Might want to correct that.

I'm disappointed that bitmain locked voltage control down, but not surprised after they stripped the S4 of that functionality with a firmware update.

Yes its definitely steel, fixed. The voltage control isn't locked per said, it simply doesn't exist. With string design the variability of voltage is purely down to the output voltage of the PSU. Have a look how bare the 'top' side of the PCB is, there is no DC-DC.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:54:08 PM

W.R.T. this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1032458.msg11156572#msg11156572

Why are you advising people inquiring about the existence of capacitors that there are none when your high-res picture clearly shows them all over the place?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 09:58:01 PM

W.R.T. this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1032458.msg11156572#msg11156572

Why are you advising people inquiring about the existence of capacitors that there are none when your high-res picture clearly shows them all over the place?

Where are you seeing liquid caps?

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:46:27 AM

Why are you looking for "liquid" caps?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 02:17:36 AM

Why are you looking for "liquid" caps?

I misread what he originally asked, nevermind.

supertee

Activity: 689
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 11:39:40 AM

Do I need to do anything else than pluggin in the power? No leds, no fans, nothing.. plugged in at 220V  Sad

Passion.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 01:09:48 PM

Do I need to do anything else than pluggin in the power? No leds, no fans, nothing.. plugged in at 220V  Sad

Correct, see my response from the other thread:

From the PSU guide for no PSU fan and no output:

1.   Make sure the AC input wire has a good connection and the plugs are connected firmly
2.   Make sure the mains power is working well and its voltage is above 205V.

loulou65

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 04:04:55 PM

Heelo everybody,
I think i made a midstake, i flash my s4+ with the s4 firmware...
And now my antiminer is not stable, sometimes it mine at 1.5 Th...
On bitmian page, i can't see the firmware for s4+....

Can you help me please ?

Thank you so much
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 04:46:28 PM

Heelo everybody,
I think i made a midstake, i flash my s4+ with the s4 firmware...
And now my antiminer is not stable, sometimes it mine at 1.5 Th...
On bitmian page, i can't see the firmware for s4+....

Can you help me please ?

Thank you so much

I don't see it on the firmware page either.   I would submit a ticket asking for it here - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us . I'm sure they will get the firmware to you.

Was the not stable before firmware uploading with S4 firmware?  Or did it happen after?
supertee

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 05:53:53 PM

here it is:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9vRdgCJFqmkeTNvQ3JzTGpxUXc&authuser=0

Passion.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 12:59:13 PM

That's 20150518 which isn't the stock firmware. It should work but we're not exactly sure what the changelog is over stock.

supertee

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 03:19:32 PM

bitmain sent me that file a while ago.

Passion.
loulou65

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:02:22 AM

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for your help !
I'll try with this file.
See you soon.
@+
BeardedGuy83

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:59:54 PM

im in north america what kind of circuit do i need to wire up to get this to work everything for 240v uses those t shaped circuits and wires...can i simply wire up a dbl breaker and run 2 110v lines to a standard circuit?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:30:33 PM

im in north america what kind of circuit do i need to wire up to get this to work everything for 240v uses those t shaped circuits and wires...can i simply wire up a dbl breaker and run 2 110v lines to a standard circuit?

On electricity don't try to be cheap unless you are asking for problems.  Anwser is have I seen it done yes 2 separate 110 breakers and a higher gauge wire... yes but don't do it.

It is very easy either get a electrician or learn how to do it (if legal in your area).   And get a true 220/240 breaker.   And then use the right gauge wire.  With so much electricity if you don't have the proper wire you will get hot wire and possible fire.
bigdaddy3

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 12:44:08 AM

I have purchased an s4+ on ebay not knowing that it had special power requirements, is there anywhere that i can get a wiring diagram to help set this up, and were can i purchase the power cord needed to run this high voltage. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks bigdaddy3
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: