Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:22:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Economic Totalitarianism  (Read 345711 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:03:32 AM

Mircea Popescu on proper air-gapping for comsec (computer security):

http://trilema.com/2013/why-i-suspect-schneier-is-an-us-agent/

I didn't realized PDF is such a huge security hole:

http://www.malwaretracker.com/pdfthreat.php

Next time I see him, I will have to speak to him about not posting pics of my filipina gf to the web:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 05:19:14 AM

But isn't part of this process convincing...

I know your trying TPTB, but...your gift is the actual building and analysis of these systems.

This is the Knowledge Age:

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds

Convincing is for politicians which are deprecated in the Knowledge Age.

Millionaires who don't, won't be millionaires for much longer...

Then like some christians who have a gleeful desire to see the Last Days (humanity erased  Huh ), you'll get to say, "I told you so! Now burn Mother Fucker!"

Weird that Torvalds line applies to you most days-- Tongue

I'd retort, "Our brains are quantum processors and language is their primary code." So talk is doing, but I think he was talking to Developers--was he not?

If you think you can defeat political powers without the use of politics, you missed that you are complaining that not enough people are joining your revolution and Bitcoin is being swallowed by the politically powerful--what comes out the other side will be a control system unlike any other--more efficient, more able to micro manage behaviors, more the same old capitalism breaking the backs of the poor. Delueze made the observation that the only way to destroy capitalism is to feed it until it dies from obesity.

Maybe what to make is more efficient systems to extract wealth and let greed do its thing. My guess is AI comes out the other side and we have a much different problem.

trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:45:03 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 11:10:01 AM by trollercoaster

http://sputniknews.com/science/20150506/1021755458.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10697529/Prisoners-could-serve-1000-year-sentence-in-eight-hours.html

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/08/ghost-cities-of-china-wade-shepard-review-planning
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:36:29 AM

C student OROBTC has learned that trollercoaster posts interesting stuff, + 1.

I noted that S. Korea has the most robots per capita, I saw some in 2012 when touring three of their bearing factories.  Very impressive, those factories looked right out of Star Trek. 

And the four guys (two @ from two companies) who took me around ALL worked 60 hour weeks.

Now if I could just convince our suppliers there to cut their prices 5% or so....
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:53:24 AM

Re the first link: Please note that this is not the magic of the free market, rather it is the state subsidizing the robots. In their wisdom, they have decided that robots can better do the work, and they use scarce capital confiscated from the public to do it.

The market would only do it, when wages are so high that the capital expense would be lower than keeping the workers, the price of labour signaling that it is so valuable that it could better be used elsewhere.

THX 1138

Activity: 208
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:09:43 PM

Today's "Keiser Report" #790 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DfP1d1tH8 touches on a number of themes discussed in this thread recently.

In this double-header special episode of the Keiser Report, Max Keiser and Stacy Herbert discuss whether or not there is such a thing as post-capitalism, whether or not we are actually in this phase and examine the solutions to the multiple crises of neoliberal capitalism.

The episode concentrates on Paul Mason's Guardian piece (which generalizethis read and commented on after I posted a link last week) http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/17/postcapitalism-end-of-capitalism-begun on post-capitalism (de facto post-central banks), also includes discussion on copyright; referring to Tony Blair's often trumpeted "Knowledge Economy", and later to a NY Times article making reference to Star Trek's Post-Economic system, "...in which money no longer exists and anything you want can be made in a replicator, essentially for free... objects will no longer be status symbols. Success will be measured in achievements, not in money... you will need to build up your reputation..."
username18333

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 05:52:45 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2015, 06:10:23 AM by username18333

Re the first link: Please note that this is not the magic of the free market, rather it is the state subsidizing the robots. In their wisdom, they have decided that robots can better do the work, and they use scarce capital confiscated from the public to do it.

The market would only do it, when wages are so high that the capital expense would be lower than keeping the workers, the price of labour signaling that it is so valuable that it could better be used elsewhere.

Citizens provide collateral: when there is no need of collateral (i.e., when a nation's lenders have become its government [i.e., under plutocracy]), there is no need of “We the People” (United Sates).

Quote from: Peaceful Revolution Network link=http://www.xat.org/xat/moneyhistory.html
The 50 years of war left England in financial ruin. The government officials went begging for loans from guess who, and the deal proposed resulted in a government sanctioned, privately owned bank which could produce money from nothing, essentially legally counterfeiting a national currency for private gain.

Now the politicians had a source from which to borrow all the money they wanted to borrow, and the debt created was secured against public taxes.

You would think someone would have seen through this, and realised they could produce their own money and owe no interest, but instead the Bank of England has been used as a model and now nearly every nation has a Central Bank with fractional reserve banking at its core.

These central banks have the power to take over a nations economy and become that nations real governing force. What we have here is a scam of mammoth proportions covering what is actually a hidden tax, being collected by private concerns.

The country sells bonds to the bank in return for money it cannot raise in taxes. The bonds are paid for by money produced from thin air. The government pays interest on the money it borrowed by borrowing more money in the same way. There is no way this debt can ever be paid, it has and will continue to increase.

If the government did find a way to pay off the debt, the result would be that there would be no bonds to back the currency, so to pay the debt would be to kill the currency.
(Red colorization mine.)

“Tax revenue” is a form of collateral for the loans provided to governments by central banks.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 07:09:05 AM

Definitely.

If you think you can defeat political powers without the use of politics...

The politics of the Knowledge Age is delivering code that causes people to use it en masse. I did that for example with Cool Page at the end of 1998, where by 2000 or so, it had 335,000 verified websites according to AltaVista ("link:3dize.com" was the query) and the internet population was 1/10 of what it is now. Imagine little ole me creating 3.35 million hardcore users of something in today's population. And I was just getting started when my eye got exploded by a GI pipe and had to spend 2000 - 2002 in surgeries.

So what I am saying is that politics of this new age is about doing and creating something that people are compelled to use. And then they do. And they discover, "hey this works better, fuck the old world". And with that, the old world crumbles away...

There is still talking involved, e.g. marketing, design, business development, economic theory work, etc.. Not just programming. But programming is an essential component.

Use is the key. Let me repeat that again. Use. Use. Use.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 08:17:26 AM

Definitely.

If you think you can defeat political powers without the use of politics...

The politics of the Knowledge Age is delivering code that causes people to use it en masse. I did that for example with Cool Page at the end of 1998, where by 2000 or so, it had 335,000 verified websites according to AltaVista ("link:3dize.com" was the query) and the internet population was 1/10 of what it is now. Imagine little ole me creating 3.35 million hardcore users of something in today's population. And I was just getting started when my eye got exploded by a GI pipe and had to spend 2000 - 2002 in surgeries.

So what I am saying is that politics of this new age is about doing and creating something that people are compelled to use. And then they do. And they discover, "hey this works better, fuck the old world". And with that, the old world crumbles away...

There is still talking involved, e.g. marketing, design, business development, economic theory work, etc.. Not just programming. But programming is an essential component.

Use is the key. Let me repeat that again. Use. Use. Use.

You're missing my point. Facebook is used by a lot of users and the governments monitoring those users. I'm saying private networks won't work until there is a political/social will to move to those networks. It's like fast food, most people won't accept that it is bad for them until it is too late or someone in power tells them. Making healthy foods alone won't do the trick.

Motivation is key. Let me repeat that again. Motivation. Motivation. Motivation.

To put it simple: either your network has to be better: easier to use and more efficient and more profitable than the monitored alternatives or the political will has to be there. I don't think you can get around this unless you only want privacy for the chosen few?

OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 04:28:55 PM

generalizethis and TPTB

...easier to use...

Yes, that is they key for me and for millions (billions) of others. I am way behind most of you guys re Bitcoin technology and programming, but, relatively speaking, an "early adopter".

The Internet did not get BIG until easy to use browsers came along.  I did not enter the World of Bitcoin until blockchain.info came along (and as a beginner I got some important help from a great guy I do not even know from Canada).

Ease of use is vital before the masses will use it.

Look at Facebook.............
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:14:40 PM

You're missing my point.

Trust me, you are missing the point.

Facebook is used by a lot of users and the governments monitoring those users. I'm saying private networks won't work until there is a political/social will to move to those networks.

No, no, no. You'll never get there if you expect to teach people to prefer what they don't prefer. Never. You broke the fundamental rule of marketing.

To put it simple: either your network has to be better: easier to use and more efficient and more profitable...

Exactly. People have to want to use it because they like it better, makes them more productive, improves their profitability, gives them ways to do things which they are currently prevented from doing, etc..

That is why I said it all about doing the code to make that a reality. Not about politics.

And yes, making it incredibly easy-to-use. Now go study again my marketing of CoolPage. Who knows ease of use? And who knows what people want?

I am talking too much.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:40:37 PM

I will agree with Armstrong's skepticism on cryptocurrencies. We can even see that Bitcoin is becoming increasingly centralized (by design) and will be easily regulated by the international cooperation to hunt down all "tax cheaters" (which is a euphemism for "any one who doesn't agree to expropriation and slavery").

To subvert the tremendous flaws in cryptocurrency is going to be a monumental effort.

And then, can we prevent the bastards from filtering our packets?

Lots of technical hurdles and some may be insurmountable (but not if smart people get to work, but I don't see very many smart people really working on the issues and we are running out of time...looks rather hopeless).

IMPORTANT: Could someone please email Armstrong immediately and ask him to include some analysis of the Bitcoin price and potential bottom in his upcoming precious metals report (private assets correlation)? Tell him many of us will buy the report if he does. We really need his computer model's analysis of Bitcoin's price.

trollercoaster
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 12:39:24 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2015, 12:53:14 AM by trollercoaster

I will email him today, I would definately purchase the report if it included cryptos.

I think bitcoin will follow gold, it looks like private investors haven't lost hope in gold yet, many are still stacking & another crash may trigger them to sell, and then I think buttcoin will follow when the smaller holders lose hope.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 12:41:09 AM

I will email him today, I would definately purchase the report if it included cryptos.

If you don't use an anonymous email address, then you will have identified your forum account to certain three letter agencies. That is if your forum account was ever anonymous from them any way, which is unlikely given Tor isn't anonymous and I doubt you were using it any way (because for one thing this forum charges you Bitcoin if you try to signup a new account over Tor, which then provides another means to trace you...but I digress).

trollercoaster
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 01:06:00 AM

I created this account only for discussion in these threads, I don't intend to make it easy for anyone to track me, but I do take steps to hide my identity on here.
I think the three letter agencies will find me any way if it was truly in their interest, but there will always be bigger fish for them to harass.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 01:25:30 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2015, 01:54:58 AM by TPTB_need_war

...but there will always be bigger fish for them to harass.

Turning a list of millions of people over to the various tax agencies around the world for priorities audits is pretty easy way for them to harass people who are supporting the movements.

http://www.nestmann.com/why-the-irs-goes-after-the-minnows-and-ignores-the-whales

Death by a 1000 paper cuts.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 03:18:20 AM

You're missing my point.

Facebook is used by a lot of users and the governments monitoring those users. I'm saying private networks won't work until there is a political/social will to move to those networks.

No, no, no. You'll never get there if you expect to teach people to prefer what they don't prefer. Never. You broke the fundamental rule of marketing.

To put it simple: either your network has to be better: easier to use and more efficient and more profitable...

Exactly. People have to want to use it because they like it better, makes them more productive, improves their profitability, gives them ways to do things which they are currently prevented from doing, etc..

That is why I said it all about doing the code to make that a reality. Not about politics.

And yes, making it incredibly easy-to-use. Now go study again my marketing of CoolPage. Who knows ease of use? And who knows what people want?

I am talking too much.

Politics is the art of convincing people of what they really want. Why you are conflating marketing into this is beyond me.  So make it better or use politics to get people to want it. But remember, that if the politically powerful want to control something, they aren't afraid, or above, using politics to get it.  So since there isn't a political strategy guiding any of this, I'll leave it alone--I was initially asking if there was one and where do i find it, but that got lost in the conversation.  Tongue You could have just said "no" or "not to my knowledge."

username18333

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 03:24:12 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2015, 03:41:17 AM by username18333

Politics is the art of convincing people of what they really want.

Quote from: Oda Nobunaga (1534‒82 CE)
If the cuckoo does not sing, kill it.

Quote from: Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus (17‒41 CE)
I don’t care if they love me so long as they fear me.

(I’m convinced‼  Roll Eyes )

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 03:35:28 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2015, 03:47:56 AM by TPTB_need_war

You're missing my point.

I am talking too much.

Politics is the art of convincing people of what they really want. Why you are conflating marketing into this is beyond me.  So make it better or use politics to get people to want it. But remember, that if the politically powerful want to control something, they aren't afraid, or above, using politics to get it.  So since there isn't a political strategy guiding any of this, I'll leave it alone--I was initially asking if there was one and where do i find it, but that got lost in the conversation.  Tongue You could have just said "no" or "not to my knowledge."

The political strategy is to make politics (collectivized resource appropriation) less relevant so people are more in tune with what benefits them, i.e. Welcome to the Knowledge Age.

Some people refer to this transformation as an Inverse Commons:

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/magic-cauldron/magic-cauldron-5.html

Somewhere in the following video Linus explains for example how the technology of decentralized version control eliminates the politics over whom gets commit rights:

https://youtu.be/4XpnKHJAok8?t=488 (haha)

https://youtu.be/4XpnKHJAok8?t=1114 ("most people are morons")  <------ Edit: this one and the next one apply to my point

https://youtu.be/4XpnKHJAok8?t=1648 ("most of you are incompetent", "there are some few who are outstanding", "hey that person is smarter than I am")

username18333

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 03:39:59 AM

The political strategy is to make politics (collectivized resource appropriation) less relevant so people are more in tune with what benefits them, i.e. Welcome to the Knowledge Age.

Where there is law, there is politics. Will your "Knowledge Age" (TPTB_need_war) maintain "law and order?"

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: