Bitcoin Forum
October 19, 2019, 05:51:14 AM *
News: 10th anniversary art contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 487 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1344018 times)
X1235

Activity: 668
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 08:49:48 PM

No, there is no wallet.json (OS X, if it matters).
Is it some OS X bug?

Have you ever unlocked or initialized the wallet? If you haven't initialized the wallet, there won't be a wallet.json. If you've got coins in your wallet, it means that there is definitely a wallet.json somewhere in your directory because that's how it remembers which coins are yours.

Yes, there are some coins and the wallet is currently unlocked. I rechecked - there is no wallet.json (the Spotlight search never lies).
There is also no wallet in ~/Library/Application Support/Sia-UI
Could the name of the wallet differ?
Taek

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:09:09 PM

Yes, there are some coins and the wallet is currently unlocked. I rechecked - there is no wallet.json (the Spotlight search never lies).

Spotlight search is probably not scanning the application directory. I'm not used to Mac so I can't be sure what's going on, but You should try Sia-UI/app/dependencies/Sia/wallet -> I think in Mac the application is actually a folder, and not just an executable. Can someone else who's used to working with mac confirm?
X1235

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:20:52 PM

Spotlight search is probably not scanning the application directory. I'm not used to Mac so I can't be sure what's going on, but You should try Sia-UI/app/dependencies/Sia/wallet -> I think in Mac the application is actually a folder, and not just an executable. Can someone else who's used to working with mac confirm?

Spotlight scans the application directory. I tried also the good old UNIX tools find with no avail. There is no wallet.json :/
Taek

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:24:59 PM

Spotlight scans the application directory. I tried also the good old UNIX tools find with no avail. There is no wallet.json :/

If you are using 0.3.3.3 or earlier the file will be called wallet.dat

What does your directory structure look like? What is the folder list if you open the Sia app folder?
X1235

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:27:08 PM

What does your directory structure look like? What is the folder list if you open the Sia app folder?

No, it is GUI 0.4.2 and SIA 0.4.3.
This is the structure of ~/Library/Application Support/Sia-UI:

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

Taek

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:35:28 PM

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

That's definitely the wrong folder. The folder you are looking for should have a structure like this:

app/assets
app/css
app/index.html
app/Sia
app/js
app/plugins

and a few other files as well.
X1235

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:20:26 PM

./Cache
./Cache/data_0
./Cache/data_1
./Cache/data_2
./Cache/data_3
./Cache/index
./Cookies
./Cookies-journal
./DevTools Extensions
./GPUCache
./GPUCache/data_0
./GPUCache/data_1
./GPUCache/data_2
./GPUCache/data_3
./GPUCache/index

That's definitely the wrong folder. The folder you are looking for should have a structure like this:

app/assets
app/css
app/index.html
app/Sia
app/js
app/plugins

and a few other files as well.

Still no wallet.json and no Sia file (ordinary or directory). Should I use Linux instead? (The backup is a must for me.)
sjsqd

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 11:14:54 AM

Hey,
New user here--got the GUI wallet for Windows and running it. Managed to create a wallet etc.

The problem I'm having is that it doesn't appear to be syncing the blockchain. Am I missing something? It just says in the overview page that the Block Height is 0.

Thanks.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1076

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2015, 11:50:13 AM

Hey,
New user here--got the GUI wallet for Windows and running it. Managed to create a wallet etc.

The problem I'm having is that it doesn't appear to be syncing the blockchain. Am I missing something? It just says in the overview page that the Block Height is 0.

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

that should allow you into the system ... unless i have it wrong of course ...

if the new wallet was anything like the old one - then DONT unlock it unless its fully sync'd - as it will take a LONG time if you do ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

Exchange - https://www.zapple.com/exchange/ . CWI-Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1563601 . EMail - crysx@gnxs.com . CWI-WebSite - https://chainworksindustries.com/ . CWI-Mine - http://chrysolite.chainworksindustries.com/ . CWI-Pyroxene (theMine) - http://pyroxene.chainworksindustries.com/ . GRN - Gfz2cXMkhMZYWSFvLEMnM8bXk7X5Mtq2J2
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:52:57 PM

Hey,

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

if the new wallet was anything like the old one - then DONT unlock it unless its fully sync'd - as it will take a LONG time if you do ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

If I were to speculate:

I noticed that sometimes the main tab of the wallet will continue to read 0 blocks until you tab to "wallet" and back to "overview." That seems to force a refresh of the information. If I wait it seems to refresh automatically on the overview page, but can take a full minute.  Also, it can just take a while for the wallet to build the database at first, but the new wallet is much faster. The wallet and SIA in general does not respond or look exactly like what most people are used to so the initial thought people have is that it is being "non-responsive" but so far 0.4.3 seems to be working very well. And yes, you don't unlock until the database is caught up and the balance will still read zero until you unlock. This is more of a feature than a bug if I understand correctly.
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2030

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 09:12:46 PM

Hey,

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

If I were to speculate:

I noticed that sometimes the main tab of the wallet will continue to read 0 blocks until you tab to "wallet" and back to "overview." That seems to force a refresh of the information. If I wait it seems to refresh automatically on the overview page, but can take a full minute.  Also, it can just take a while for the wallet to build the database at first, but the new wallet is much faster. The wallet and SIA in general does not respond or look exactly like what most people are used to so the initial thought people have is that it is being "non-responsive" but so far 0.4.3 seems to be working very well. And yes, you don't unlock until the database is caught up and the balance will still read zero until you unlock. This is more of a feature than a bug if I understand correctly.
Your speculations are spot on! lol   Wink

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1586

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 11:14:27 PM

Hey Boarders,

Just received a email from Storji, you have heard of them right? Well they beat you to it  Sad

Email extract.

$384,000 Invested from 11 investor's -  Storj brings cloud storage to the Blockchain to make your files cheaper, faster and more secure than services like DropBox and Google Drive

When Bitcoin invented the Blockchain it made it possible for you to own your own money and send it cheaper, faster and more securely than when using a bank. It also gave investors the opportunity to profit from the same privileges that banks and governments have had for decades - the ability to benefit from the profits of newly created money.

Now Storj has taken that very same model and applied it to file storage. We all use services like Google Drive, Apple iCloud and Dropbox to store our files and we place a lot of trust in them to keep those files safe and secure, but what if we no longer have to?

Storj allows users to store their files encrypted across a decentralised network of computers rather than trusting one company to keep your files safe. This means they can be stored cheaper, faster and more securely as there is no central point of failure. It also means that anybody can rent out their spare hard drive space and get paid for contributing to the network.

Storj is the AirBnb of file storage. Qualifying Investors can check out full details about

So what's new? and what's your point? maybe they beat Maidsafe to it? but they fall short as well like Storj

Storj is what it is and Sia has its own means of storage and how you pay, and how you can earn money by renting/hosting out that storage. How much can I earn per GH/month by hosting Storj?

Can I share my files publicly using Storj? or upload various file types to sunfish servers with Storj? for others to download and use? or is it only good for storing my junk files on... can my files be used for collaboration with Storj?

Also: can I mine for Storj coins to pay for my hosting? or would I be "forced" to buy coins at market price only... can I use Storj coins for other things?

I just don't see where Storj has anything to offer that compares or even comes close to the potential of Sia.

Storj just doesn't measure up at the end of the day.

Sia will virtually have its own global economy which can be expanded upon, even rival Bitcoin possibly one day as a very reliable and secure form of cyrpto currency.

Ok, good luck with Storj, report back in a year  Grin

Not that it much matters, but one of the main devs for Storj is on the Sia slack channel and is a self professed holder of MAID and SIA. None of them, STORJ included, is dependent of the failure of the others. On the contrary, which is why I hold all three.  I do confess that my main "alt" holding is SIA though.

It's great that the GUI wallet now appears to be standalone... am sending SC back/forth to Polo with only GUI installed.

Crypto projects tend to have tunnel vision = fighting the Last War...
As if the blockchain will solve problems that do not exist (like Zero Cost Cloud Storage)...
Only value added features matter in this space... such as anon file downloading to compete with BitTorrent.

That said, SC is the cheapest way with the most upside to bet on p2p storage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-leads-cloud-storage-race-to-zero-2015-5
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1351

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 04:09:14 AM

Anyone else getting HTTP Error 400 with the gpu miner ?

Yes, got that too. Gave up after messing around with it for an hour.
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1087

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 08:10:05 AM

Anyone else getting HTTP Error 400 with the gpu miner ?

Yes, got that too. Gave up after messing around with it for an hour.

It can mean that the wallet is not synced yet.

sjsqd

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:24:39 AM

Hey,

Thanks.

unlock the wallet ...

anyone else help? ...

#crysx

If I were to speculate:

Managed to fix it by moving my wallet out of its directory. Starting the GUI client and then letting it sync up (which took about a minute). Replacing my wallet and then unlocking it via the wallet screen.

TBH I think an unlock button on every page would probably make the most sense. Anyway, it sync'd really quickly so I'm happy!
MadCow

Activity: 655

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:39:50 PM

Crypto projects tend to have tunnel vision = fighting the Last War...
As if the blockchain will solve problems that do not exist (like Zero Cost Cloud Storage)...
Only value added features matter in this space... such as anon file downloading to compete with BitTorrent.

That said, SC is the cheapest way with the most upside to bet on p2p storage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-leads-cloud-storage-race-to-zero-2015-5

Sia is decentralised, and while it can still compete on price with centralised cloud storage providers, it'll blow everything out of the water if/when people start caring about the security of their data.

If 5% of humans start to listen to Snowden's advice long enough to change their habits we're talking about a huge market. I think when the decentralised cloud is as easy to use and well known as the centralised cloud Sia will get a lot more than a 5% share, but that might take a while, or an attention getting event happens, like a major hack that effects a lot of people.

edit: there's also the option to be a seller too, which is similar to being an Uber driver, or Air B n B provider. Helping people establish their own micro cloud storage businesses is marketing gold IMO
robinson5

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 03:37:42 AM

Hi so I downloaded the new 0.4.3 version (says 0.4.2UI) and imported my legacy wallet from a much older version I think it was 0.3.3 or something.  About how long should it take for my balance to appear?

Also, once my balance appears do I only need to remember the long lists of words that the Sia wallet gave me when I first opened it?  I no longer need to keep any backups? Or any of the backups from the 0.3.3 wallets I was keeping until people would stop losing their coins?

Thanks!
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1076

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 03:41:07 AM

Hi so I downloaded the new 0.4.3 version (says 0.4.2UI) and imported my legacy wallet from a much older version I think it was 0.3.3 or something.  About how long should it take for my balance to appear?

Also, once my balance appears do I only need to remember the long lists of words that the Sia wallet gave me when I first opened it?  I no longer need to keep any backups? Or any of the backups from the 0.3.3 wallets I was keeping until people would stop losing their coins?

Thanks!

when it fully syncs - unlock your wallet and the imported coins should show up ( although mine took a little bit of time initially ) ...

thats what happened with mine anyway ...

always keep the password list handy ... always ...

always make backups ... always ...

Wink ...

#crysx

Exchange - https://www.zapple.com/exchange/ . CWI-Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1563601 . EMail - crysx@gnxs.com . CWI-WebSite - https://chainworksindustries.com/ . CWI-Mine - http://chrysolite.chainworksindustries.com/ . CWI-Pyroxene (theMine) - http://pyroxene.chainworksindustries.com/ . GRN - Gfz2cXMkhMZYWSFvLEMnM8bXk7X5Mtq2J2
robinson5

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 03:51:48 AM

Hi so I downloaded the new 0.4.3 version (says 0.4.2UI) and imported my legacy wallet from a much older version I think it was 0.3.3 or something.  About how long should it take for my balance to appear?

Also, once my balance appears do I only need to remember the long lists of words that the Sia wallet gave me when I first opened it?  I no longer need to keep any backups? Or any of the backups from the 0.3.3 wallets I was keeping until people would stop losing their coins?

Thanks!

when it fully syncs - unlock your wallet and the imported coins should show up ( although mine took a little bit of time initially ) ...

Wink ...

#crysx

Okay thanks! My client is fully synced and no coins have yet to appear. Hopefully they will after a while.  I don't know if it matters but the wallets are from the old 0.3.3 version because I'm always too scared to do anything.  I don't want to lose my coins.

For the backup you are talking about is writing down all the words enough? Or is there a wallet.dat file we should be backing up to? I've lost track of all the different versions of sia that save the wallet.backup and the wallet.dat in different places.  And do we need both or is just one of them sufficient?

I think a guide on how to upgrade to new wallets without losing your coins would be really helpful especially to new users.  I now have multiple different backups in different location which makes things different.

And the gateway host and renter folders in my home folder, are the still necessary? Or where they part of the old 0.3.3 system? Thanks for all the help!
robinson5

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 04:09:36 AM

Hi so I downloaded the new 0.4.3 version (says 0.4.2UI) and imported my legacy wallet from a much older version I think it was 0.3.3 or something.  About how long should it take for my balance to appear?

Also, once my balance appears do I only need to remember the long lists of words that the Sia wallet gave me when I first opened it?  I no longer need to keep any backups? Or any of the backups from the 0.3.3 wallets I was keeping until people would stop losing their coins?

Thanks!

Wink ...

#crysx

Okay thanks! My client is fully synced and no coins have yet to appear. Hopefully they will after a while.  I don't know if it matters but the wallets are from the old 0.3.3 version because I'm always too scared to do anything.  I don't want to lose my coins.

For the backup you are talking about is writing down all the words enough? Or is there a wallet.dat file we should be backing up to? I've lost track of all the different versions of sia that save the wallet.backup and the wallet.dat in different places.  And do we need both or is just one of them sufficient?

I think a guide on how to upgrade to new wallets without losing your coins would be really helpful especially to new users.  I now have multiple different backups in different location which makes things different.

And the gateway host and renter folders in my home folder, are the still necessary? Or where they part of the old 0.3.3 system? Thanks for all the help!

I think I may have been another person just to lose all their coins even though this new release was supposed to be fool proof.  It keeps on saying my wallet is loaded but I still have 0 coins and it has been about an hour now.  I really think that there should be instructions so users don't have to deal with this on their own.

Or releases should be less frequent and instead new versions should only come out after being bug tested so things like this don't keep on happening to users repeatedly.  When sia was first released on poloniex I couldn't even move my coins becuase the mac wallet wasn't working and kept giving me errors on that no passphrase was appearing.  Is this how I could have just lost all my coins?
Pages: « 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 487 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.