Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:30:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people scared of taxes?  (Read 31481 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:01:44 PM

They still haven't sent out any sorts of rovers or exploratory satellites, which are my specific areas of interest, along with colonies. I'd be perfectly happy to work at a private company if they offered better pay and a comparative goals, as well as a doctorate program. I just like NASA better, because it isn't focused on a profit. Private space companies have to offer a revenue generating service as their primary concern. If there are companies that are research oriented, please give me a link and I'll look into them. I'm always open to new companies I can apply for an internship at.

Imagine how they might be doing if the economy hadn't been hideously burdened by an overgrown parasite which, besides spending a trivially small proportion of its income on mars rovers and whatnot, pissed most of it away on pointless crap. Don't miss the wood for the trees.

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:09:40 PM

If the poor have no security net they will save as much as possible of their income for a rainy day.

Yes, the poor should feel free to waste their money on alcohol, lottery tickets, drugs and other consumable crud because everyone else will pick up the tab later.

We all have an infinite amount of wealth and labor to lift up somebody who consumes and consumes while producing nothing,
Kontakt

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:10:53 PM

They still haven't sent out any sorts of rovers or exploratory satellites, which are my specific areas of interest, along with colonies. I'd be perfectly happy to work at a private company if they offered better pay and a comparative goals, as well as a doctorate program. I just like NASA better, because it isn't focused on a profit. Private space companies have to offer a revenue generating service as their primary concern. If there are companies that are research oriented, please give me a link and I'll look into them. I'm always open to new companies I can apply for an internship at.

Imagine how they might be doing if the economy hadn't been hideously burdened by an overgrown parasite which, besides spending a trivially small proportion of its income on mars rovers and whatnot, pissed most of it away on pointless crap. Don't miss the wood for the trees.

Oh I'd absolutely love a proper distribution of tax income, with more being spent on research than an overaggressive military. We'd have colonies already in that case. I just don't like the suggestions to remove taxation all together. The problem is that to be an effective politician, you have to align with one of the two major parties, which diametrically oppose each other on any conceivable issue. If I wanted to become a congressman, I would have to have a large quantity of money with which to rouse ad campaigns and make all sorts of signs and other worthless crap, win the election, and then I would be allowed to sit in a room with a bunch of large men, carefully acting out a silly dance specifically designed to allow them to remain in the room for the most number of years possible. The need to always be concerned about the next election causes decisions that might be considered radical to be a faux-pas. It's all quite silly, and a restructuring would be nice, but it won't happen. There's no mechanism for restructuring the government on that large of a scale. Tax spending could be restructured, but it most likely will not be simply because the men in their suits don't want to do anything that might mess up their dance.

Also, Wow Atlas, way to stereotype out the ass there.
Atlas

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:13:38 PM

Yes, the poor will almost always act as model citizens and not use welfare as insurance against being indefinitely idle.
Kontakt

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:20:05 PM

Yes, the poor will almost always act as model citizens and not use welfare as insurance against being indefinitely idle.

There are plenty that do, but I know a lot of people below the poverty line, my highschool had a large number of children from these family. Most of them absolutely despised having to take welfare or any support whatsoever. I think more of them would agree with your statements on taxation than any other demographic. Being poor doesn't mean they're lazy.
Atlas

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:22:13 PM

There are plenty that do, but I know a lot of people below the poverty line, my highschool had a large number of children from these family. Most of them absolutely despised having to take welfare or any support whatsoever. I think more of them would agree with your statements on taxation than any other demographic. Being poor doesn't mean they're lazy.
I have never directly criticized the poor. It seems that way but I am merely mocking the idea that nobody should have to prepare themselves for a rainy day.
Kontakt

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:53:09 PM

Yes, the poor should feel free to waste their money on alcohol, lottery tickets, drugs and other consumable crud because everyone else will pick up the tab later.

We all have an infinite amount of wealth and labor to lift up somebody who consumes and consumes while producing nothing,

I took this as a direct implication that the poor can and will 'waste their money on alcohol, lottery tickets, drugs and other consumable crud'. If it wasn't meant as such, I apologize, but to me that seems like a comment made in ignorance and stereotyping.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 06:54:06 PM

If the poor have no security net they will save as much as possible of their income for a rainy day.
No, they have to pay for that themselves.  (Alcohol is a good candidate for extra taxation, and drugs which are bad for them should be illegal, but that is another story.)  And that is the point.  If they are able to pay for that stuff, the whole economy benefits.  If only the rich are able to buy chocolate, you don't need many chocolate factories.  The rich people aren't going to eat more chocolate when they become richer.  The solution is to enable the poor to consume more.  This makes the economy grow and everyone's wealth increases.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:37:09 PM

No, they have to pay for that themselves.  (Alcohol is a good candidate for extra taxation, and drugs which are bad for them should be illegal, but that is another story.)  And that is the point.  If they are able to pay for that stuff, the whole economy benefits.  If only the rich are able to buy chocolate, you don't need many chocolate factories.  The rich people aren't going to eat more chocolate when they become richer.  The solution is to enable the poor to consume more.  This makes the economy grow and everyone's wealth increases.

Broken Window Fallacy.

Kontakt

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:46:53 PM

Broken Window Fallacy.

Ah, but give the poor a small stipend, and the majority of it will be spent, while a rich man would save it. In practice, it didn't work too well. We tried handing out money to everyone under Bush. That stimulus was lackluster.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:49:54 PM

its more convenient to pay taxes [...]

So other people should be coerced, with threat of force, to pay for your convenience. Gotcha.

wow, why would you support force on people?

I'm not the one advocating taxes.

saying its more convenient is not advocating taxes or force

just pointing out

i dont like force

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Atlas

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:53:02 PM

I'll just make an open-ended question: Is society only defined by how much can be consumed in a day?
Kontakt

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:54:29 PM

I'll leave you one, too. Is the power of a government exactly equal to the military force it controls?
Atlas

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:58:16 PM

I'll leave you one, too. Is the power of a government exactly equal to the military force it controls?
There is a level of social influence that a government possesses but the ends of that is just willing citizenry enforcing its rule.

The power of government is exactly its ability to enforce its territory and laws.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:09:30 PM

I'll just make an open-ended question: Is society only defined by how much can be consumed in a day?

Keynes is on his way out. It'll take a while but the buds of Austrianism are starting to show through.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:11:13 PM

Ah, but give the poor a small stipend, and the majority of it will be spent, while a rich man would save it. In practice, it didn't work too well. We tried handing out money to everyone under Bush. That stimulus was lackluster.

For spent, read wasted. For save, read invest (It's possible to hoard gold or bitcoins but where do you think dollars go?).

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:27:19 PM

Keynes is on his way out. It'll take a while but the buds of Austrianism are starting to show through.

in the mainstream media somewhere? where besides fox business

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:39:08 PM

in the mainstream media somewhere? where besides fox business

The BBC?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012wxyg/Keynes_Vs._Hayek/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n2rpx

Let's not forget the current resurgence of Atlas Shrugged (with a second movie about to come out).

Keynesianism has been all that people have been allowed to hear for a long time but the internet is bringing other models to the arena for inspection.

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:43:42 PM

Keynesianism has been all that people have been allowed to hear for a long time but the internet is bringing other models to the arena for inspection.

I think a lot of young educated adults are very much aware of the current financial system and its flaws. They will - at some time - be the new leaders. Let's have it  Roll Eyes

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:47:35 PM

fantastic

guess who's reading A.S.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: