May 02, 2024, 06:36:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 15913 15914 15915 15916 15917 15918 15919 15920 15921 15922 15923 15924 15925 15926 15927 [15928] 15929 15930 15931 15932 15933 15934 15935 15936 15937 15938 15939 15940 15941 15942 15943 15944 15945 15946 15947 15948 15949 15950 15951 15952 15953 15954 15955 15956 15957 15958 15959 15960 15961 15962 15963 15964 15965 15966 15967 15968 15969 15970 15971 15972 15973 15974 15975 15976 15977 15978 ... 33314 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370721 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 05:58:43 AM

Ok, taking my seat again for the next round incoming.

Hey tok _ n

I was thinking about our recent interaction, and I am really thinking that if you were to consider a kind of weighted average to the trade volumes of exchanges, then that could be more satisfactory overall...

I've thought about this in the past too. I tried to model it as a supply/demand system.

I failed miserably, but the journey was enlightening Smiley

I understand that there has been various discussion about this point of weighted trade volume, and I understand that it could be quite a bit of work to attempt to establish any kind of exact system, and therefore, probably good in concept, even though in practice we may want to merely attempt a kind of ballparking of such weighted trade volume considerations.

1) there is some actual faked volume easily visible watching trades, verified by people who should know etc. This makes modelling (and therefore weighting) very inexact.

In the end, each of us is working with various kinds of imperfect information; however, yes, as you say, from time to time, some insiders will reveal some of the insider practices (such as faking trade volume), and various kinds of corruption and deception such as this is going to vary from exchange to exchange (and some will be attempting to be on the up and up), so we just would need to ball park approximate with the best that we can.

2) as in all demand/supply models you either take into account some external resource limitations, or you accept an infinite demand when the price is zero. This means the zero transaction fee volumes are limited by unknowable things like traders' bandwidth, bot speeds, exchange processing limitations, etc. Weighting this is pretty much unknown (and even if you could, it wouldn't last long).

I understand that these kinds of factors can exist, sometimes, and sometimes these kinds of factors may need to be considered in various scenarios, but other times, maybe they constitute too many trees for missing the forest....   I mean big things and big lumping of factors is likely better than getting caught too much into the details, in my thinking.

3) where the fee is above some threshold, it starts to become doable. I was looking at something like measured volume = a 'base' volume scaled up by some measure of the jiggling around of the price by traders with the start and end price over an analysis period (volume bar times). That base volume was to be just the volume 'swept' out under the effective supply/demand curves at the start of the analysis as the price moved (no retracements) from the starting price p0 to the end price p1 in the analysis period. I finally realized that the offered volume would, itself, probably be dependent on the fees (?).

The scaling up would need to be done by adding randomness, restricting possible transactions to those that actually made a profit greater than their fee plus maybe a factor expressing the drop in demand for transactions simply because of the fee (a trader sentiment kind of thing). The effective demand/supply profile would probably need to be approximated by the exchange order book.

I gave up looking at all the bad approximations needed in that lot. Lol.

TL;DR zero fee volumes can't be used sensibly unless you model those fake and external influences. Different fee volumes probably can't be modelled the way I described but maybe the basic idea is usable.

I personally think that it would be easier not to get caught up too much with any particulars of the exchange, just down grade them a bit from 100% if they have questionable practices.  For example a place like Okcoin or Huobi have extraordinary trade volume, so maybe just count them as 10% or 20%, and maybe even less, if you come to the conclusion that the trade volume does not really represent anything meaningful...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 05:59:49 AM

2013. Without Willy. We all want to see that November again, right? Smiley

On a serious note, all the ingredients (-ETF WF, India waking, SW, LN upon, scaling solved, WS and other institutionals are ready, MSM free advertise) are ready for it. The fundamentals are there, the halving getting priced in (yes, i said it!) slowly, just like the last time, and i am sad that i did not bought last month. Even thought my strat is buy+HODL. I shall and will buy moar.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:07:41 AM

2016 post-bitfinex hack is unique in that there is that there is now NO authoritative exchange to follow. There always used to be mtgox, bitfinex, bitstamp or something you could follow with a large USD volume, Now, all USD exchanges are trading very thin volume and all CNY exchanges are trading massive amounts of obviously fake volume with meaningless numbers. You can no longer pick out a market leader or use any kind of volume analysis. No order books, no walls, no volume, only price action. You just have to kind of blindly trust what is going on behind the scenes on the chain based on the candles. It is like trading Forex.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:15:25 AM

Newsflash:  Some of what's going on right now is people positioning for the pre-pump of gold, silver, and Bitcoin if a Trump win is announced.  Gains if Trump wins, no losses if he loses = asymmetric trade.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:19:17 AM

So I should be expecting that test of $660 on Nov 9?
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:23:56 AM

Not really since both Clinton and Trump were going to announce massive public works projects (out of control spending stimulus) and Shillary was probably going to try and implement "basic income", because helicopter money as a one-off event wouldn't stop terminal decline in monetary velocity leading to cascading deflationary collapse.  A last ditch effort at saving/extending their fractional reserve, debt based currency scam.
AZwarel

Activity: 401
Merit: 280

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:25:09 AM

I wish. No, seriously, i want to buy in with like 3+ BTC, so i wish we crash back to $660 even for a couple of hours. Alas, i do not see why that would happen. Market behavior has changed. It is a wide spread accumulating phase now, and we can not say a thing about it.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 06:27:06 AM

2016 post-bitfinex hack is unique in that there is that there is now NO authoritative exchange to follow. There always used to be mtgox, bitfinex, bitstamp or something you could follow with a large USD volume, Now, all USD exchanges are trading very thin volume and all CNY exchanges are trading massive amounts of obviously fake volume with meaningless numbers. You can no longer pick out a market leader or use any kind of volume analysis. No order books, no walls, no volume, only price action. You just have to kind of blindly trust what is going on behind the scenes on the chain based on the candles. It is like trading Forex.

I personally believe, at this time, that the price is going up on relatively overall low volume (or medium volume at best), but anyway the various USD exchanges are going to pick up and show their actual capabilities in respect to processing higher levels of volume once the price battle begins (in other words the price battle has not begun yet).

At this point, also, I theorize that there are three logical places in which the price battle could most feasibly begin:  1) after a price rise into the upper $700s, 2) after a price rise in the mid-$800s or 3) after a price rise into the above $2k arena.

I believe that scenario 2 above is the most likely, and I am less than 50% confident that the bulls are going to win that battle - but I certainly would like to be pleasantly surprised against my best intuitions (maybe like some others in this thread, I have become a bit battle fatigued and I remain a bit scared of the bears, since they had been successful in beating us bulls down several times over the past 3 years - even when there seems to be continuing pretty decent upwards price pressures at the moment) 
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 07:41:41 AM

Hey tok _ n

I was thinking about our recent interaction, and I am really thinking that if you were to consider a kind of weighted average to the trade volumes of exchanges, then that could be more satisfactory overall...

I've thought about this in the past too. I tried to model it as a supply/demand system.

I understand that there has been various discussion about this point of weighted trade volume, and I understand that it could be quite a bit of work to attempt to establish any kind of exact system, and therefore, probably good in concept, even though in practice we may want to merely attempt a kind of ballparking of such weighted trade volume considerations.

TL;DR zero fee volumes can't be used sensibly unless you model those fake and external influences. Different fee volumes probably can't be modelled the way I described but maybe the basic idea is usable.

I personally think that it would be easier not to get caught up too much with any particulars of the exchange, just down grade them a bit from 100% if they have questionable practices.  For example a place like Okcoin or Huobi have extraordinary trade volume, so maybe just count them as 10% or 20%, and maybe even less, if you come to the conclusion that the trade volume does not really represent anything meaningful...

You may well be correct if you're saying there's no better way than to suck your finger and hold it in the wind. I certainly didn't come up with anything better.
Nevertheless, you won't get any agreement amongst the people you're talking to with such a subjective guess. Everyone will have their own guess - the details matter here.

I hoped to supply some real analysis.

PS: have you checked your pm's lately?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 07:54:39 AM

Hey tok _ n

You may well be correct if you're saying there's no better way than to suck your finger and hold it in the wind. I certainly didn't come up with anything better.
Nevertheless, you won't get any agreement amongst the people you're talking to with such a subjective guess. Everyone will have their own guess - the details matter here.

You seem to misunderstand me or to misread me, if you are suggesting that I am saying put your finger into the wind.

The subject came up when toknormal seemed to have been relying almost exclusively on the chinese exchanges.

I said that I believe that they chinese exchanges are a very unreliable predictor, and I suggested first to use USD/BTC exchanges, and alternatively, I suggested a kind of weighted formula to give less credit to chinese exchanges, as compared with USD/BTC exchanges.  I was not arguing any kind of random or vague scenario, because I did not necessarily want to get caught up in a lot of technical work..

I don't get super excited about technical analysis merely for the sake of technical analysis, yet on the other hand, if guys want to put in the work to attempt to apply various kind of technical analysis, then surely sometimes that can sometimes be informative... to the extent that they are able to either use it themselves or share it with others.

I usually attempt to keep up with my PMs, and I saw one from you from a bit over a week ago.  I kind of forgot about it, but I will respond, now... sorry about that.

bitcoinsforall

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 08:12:05 AM

1000+ $
savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 08:46:59 AM

China is FUCKING HUNGRY

You do realize that in July/August 2015 ... the Yuan was 6.2 on the dollar... right?? Smiley

And in 2016... it went now to 6.75 - 6.80 per each dollar... and 3-4 months ago was 6.50 - 6.60 ... And pointing this out... you do realize for billionaires those are F'-ing huge numbers!!!

And besides that... even if the dollar/euro/yuan... etc... crash&burn.co ... BTCitcoin usually keeps up with gold/silver since those will be the things it will be pegged to after the crashes.  Cool

harrymmmm

Activity: 576

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 08:51:51 AM

Hey tok _ n

You seem to misunderstand me or to misread me, if you are suggesting that I am saying put your finger into the wind.

I followed the thread and understood your position.

I'm saying you want to guess the weighting to apply, and I'm saying you won't get general agreement with your guess.

The only way to get some agreement would be to add at least a modicum of math. Smiley
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2016, 10:19:17 AM

1000+ $

luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 10:34:23 AM

what with the 1000 dollars i see 750

although looks like a cup and handle fully formed, so it might double top to 1000
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 10:57:10 AM

Once again...
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 11:20:29 AM

Starting to feel distinctly nostalgic...  I am cautiously getting excited again. 

It's a fair way to go before I pop the champagne cork, though - if we do see 1000 I will for sure.   Conditions have not looked this good for a long time, but let's see.

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 11:22:57 AM

At what point does FOMO really kick in... 750?  800?  ATH?
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 11:52:32 AM

I think breaking $800 (high from June) is when we'll see the real rockets kick in
Master mind

Activity: 691

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 11:54:56 AM

1.  BTC980,000*. Satoshi Nakamoto
LETS PUMP THIS SHIT

Since we're throwing out baseless numbers you can add:

2. BTC500,000 Elwar

LETS PUMP THIS BTC SHIT WITH FIAT
Pages: « 1 ... 15878 15879 15880 15881 15882 15883 15884 15885 15886 15887 15888 15889 15890 15891 15892 15893 15894 15895 15896 15897 15898 15899 15900 15901 15902 15903 15904 15905 15906 15907 15908 15909 15910 15911 15912 15913 15914 15915 15916 15917 15918 15919 15920 15921 15922 15923 15924 15925 15926 15927 [15928] 15929 15930 15931 15932 15933 15934 15935 15936 15937 15938 15939 15940 15941 15942 15943 15944 15945 15946 15947 15948 15949 15950 15951 15952 15953 15954 15955 15956 15957 15958 15959 15960 15961 15962 15963 15964 15965 15966 15967 15968 15969 15970 15971 15972 15973 15974 15975 15976 15977 15978 ... 33314 »
  Print  

Jump to: