June 19, 2024, 08:27:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 18897 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 [18910] 18911 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 ... 33462 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26403343 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Rosewater Foundation

Activity: 392
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:58:31 AM

randomness

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10423

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:00:31 AM

Very interesting CNBC conversation around Bitcoin and hedge funds.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/12/26/hedge-funds-want-in-on-the-bitcoin-action-heres-why.html

Yep...

Holy moley!!!

This guy has a very conservative presentation of the bitcoin situation, and even how bitcoin might fit into traditional financial thinking - but if you really consider what he is saying, it seems that bitcoin has to do another 5x - 10x before it is going to begin to be treated seriously by traditional investment circles.

Which hedge funds did he say were getting involved?  I tried 3 times to catch it but can’t make out the names.  I don’t think he is saying Sequoia?

I was not really interested in that level of detail regarding who exactly are the "firms" looking at this Bitcoin thingie-ma-jiggie because a lot of what wallstreet journalist Gregory Zuckerman is saying is that none of the hedge funds are getting involved seriously, and each of them are kind of waiting for bitcoin to become more "safe" and BIGGER and more safe on both the upside and the short side, and currently bitcoin remains difficult to short without an adequate level of liquidity for such shorting possibilities.

So these ongoing considerations by traditional financial institutions but largely failure to actually act, seems to be overall bullish, in my thinking.   Each and all of them are too chicken shit, but they are itching, and thinking and any of them could be getting into bitcoin "on the side" or covertly considering ways to invest in bitcoin on the side while bitcoin gets bigger and Bigger and BIGGER.   

Without getting into particulars regarding "which ones" or "who" is considering getting in, doesn't the skittish scaredy-cat of traditional financial fucks kind of talk demonstrate to you that we are in such an "early adoption" phase that perhaps we have not even reached an "early adoption" phase yet because mainstream remains ongoingly too scaredy-cat, while being enticed by the thought of it and still having some quasi-bullish discussions about BTC historical performance coupled with future performance contemplations and desires to short bitcoin in some undefined future moment? perhaps after bitcoin reaches a $10 trillion market cap (my numbers here)?
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 3516

born once atheist

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:02:04 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2017, 05:13:24 AM by sirazimuth

Lol ..jsyk.... weed.....  Consuming that shit now makes me paranoid in my old age.
I used to be able to smoke a doobie and party hearty back in the day.
It just got to damn potent for my taste. Probably a blessing in disguise mind you....
Now its just old fashioned martinis and beer that light me up ... i know ...boring.....
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:06:17 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/12/26/hedge-funds-want-in-on-the-bitcoin-action-heres-why.html

Yep...

Holy moley!!!

This guy has a very conservative presentation of the bitcoin situation, and even how bitcoin might fit into traditional financial thinking - but if you really consider what he is saying, it seems that bitcoin has to do another 5x - 10x before it is going to begin to be treated seriously by traditional investment circles.

It's getting more and more publicity each day. All that publicity will get more and more newcomers investing in bitcoin every day.

There were almost a hundred thousand new members registered on bitcointalk in November this year. During November last year it was closer to ten thousand new members registered. When it's a million new members a month bitcoin will be going mainstream.

hahahahaha..

That is funny.   Cheesy

Imagine, the registration of 20k trolls out of the 100k new members in November 2017; however, when we reach a million members registered in a month, the trolls will have to work harder on a percentage basis, and perhaps, there will be 50k trolls, yet we know that trolls are louder than regular peeps, they are smarter too, and they don't scare off easily.. .Those fucks.   Angry Angry   but the trend is against the fuckjob trolls.... sorry lillie trolls, you are in a losing battle, ultimately....  Cry Cry  But you can still come over to the enlightened side and buy ur selfies a bit of bitcoin, because even today's prices are going to seem cheap when the monthly registrations reach 1million per month...  Kiss
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:22:04 AM

yup, the 24 word seed is all you need if trezor and ledger both go belly up your coins are safe. just use any bip39 software or hardware wallet and import the seeds.
True true, that does work, but it would be nice to have your own little mini-trezor server so you could still use the damn thing. I absolutely hate relying on a vendor and their web site.

My understanding is that Trezor is totally open source, so it seems that someone who is sophisticated enough would be able to build their own Trezor and/or to tweak it in any kind of personalized way that they would like - surely a kind of feature that is beyond my current abilities to take advantage of such.  I suppose if bitcoin makes me rich enough, then I could hire someone to do such; however, can we really trust hired help with securing the vast majority of our wealth?   
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:25:37 AM

Saddle up boys. Time to ride that bull !

Well that is an impressive 15 minute green dildo. Grin

I blinked and it pumped by $500!

Keep blinking!!!!!!     Angry   Help us out..  Angry
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:26:19 AM

My understanding is that Trezor is totally open source, so it seems that someone who is sophisticated enough would be able to build their own Trezor and/or to tweak it in any kind of personalized way that they would like - surely a kind of feature that is beyond my current abilities to take advantage of such.  I suppose if bitcoin makes me rich enough, then I could hire someone to do such; however, can we really trust hired help with securing the vast majority of our wealth?   

it is, the issue becomes sourcing guaranteed genuine microcontroller parts
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 3516

born once atheist

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:26:42 AM

Yep...

Holy moley!!!

It's getting more and more publicity each day. All that publicity will get more and more newcomers investing in bitcoin every day.

There were almost a hundred thousand new members registered on bitcointalk in November this year. During November last year it was closer to ten thousand new members registered. When it's a million new members a month bitcoin will be going mainstream.

hahahahaha..

That is funny.   Cheesy

Imagine, the registration of 20k trolls out of the 100k new members in November 2017; however, when we reach a million members registered in a month, the trolls will have to work harder on a percentage basis, and perhaps, there will be 50k trolls, yet we know that trolls are louder than regular peeps, they are smarter too, and they don't scare off easily.. .Those fucks.   Angry Angry   but the trend is against the fuckjob trolls.... sorry lillie trolls, you are in a losing battle, ultimately....  Cry Cry  But you can still come over to the enlightened side and buy ur selfies a bit of bitcoin, because even today's prices are going to seem cheap when the monthly registrations reach 1million per month...  Kiss

So every time someone says  "trolls" on this thread i hafta drink...damn! . jjg just made me run outta boos!
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:29:13 AM

it is, the issue becomes sourcing guaranteed genuine microcontroller parts

Oh. I see. You boys are talking about a DIY hardware wallet. That's a good idea.
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:39:56 AM

Moonshot. Someone blinked.

AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 4322

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:46:08 AM

So, let's see if I got it all right.

I go to the library, (with my clothes on), download the "make your paper wallet" site from the library computer (so the computer can't be traced to me) onto a USB stick. Buy a refurbished poo computer from Ebay, Get naked, take a shower just to be sure, put on a balaclava thats been in the microwave to kill the microcameras that might have been put there by the Chinese who made it, get an enema, make the wallets, preferably in a dark room with loud music, print them on a virgin printer, pour petrol on the printer and computer and burn them, put the wallets in an envelope seal it with wax and my coat of arms, and put it in my box in the bank.

Did I miss anything?

But seriously, thank you all for your input, I know OPSEC is important, and I do get more and more paranoid as the price goes up.

Do yourself a favour. Get a TREZOR. Seriously. I don't think you want to expose yourself to the risks of owning and maintaining a paper wallet. Write your 24-word seed on 2-3 small pieces or paper, laminate them, and store/hide them safely in 2-3 separate places. Also, use an additional 25th word/phrase (passphrase), so that even if someone finds your seed, it will be useless without the passphrase.

All done! You can sleep peacefully at night. Definitely worth the 100-something € to buy the TREZOR.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:48:08 AM

Haha, now this is choice.
http://www.businessinsider.com/ethereum-founder-threatens-to-leave-if-the-crypto-community-doesnt-grow-up-2017-12

Vitalik Buterin goes on a rant pointing out all that is currently wrong with the crypto world, as well as admitting what goals Ethereum and other cryptos haven't yet accomplished.

But then he threatens to leave the Ethereum project because of it. Which inadvertently highlights another fallacy: how important he supposedly believes he is to the Ethereum project, or that a decentralized cryptocurrency should have ever had a CEO/Lead creator/developer in the first place.  Tongue  Roll Eyes

Also, it's pretty ironic that the MSM want to use the analogy of Beanie Babies when referring to Bitcoin. But the CryptoKitties dapp is literally a digital version of Beanie Babies reincarnate. But of course they don't say shit about that.

He wants the Crypto community to grow up whilst he posts a pic of himself in which he looks about 12 years old?

... Whilst threatening to rage quit as a crying child would do because of trolls are being just trolls.

ETH is an exploding clown car. So now he cares? There isn't a worthwhile dApp now, and there wasn't even the hint of one when he created this mess. It has no use case. It never did. He should feel bad.

missing the boat and didnt buy ETH at sub 10 $?  Cry

I saw that boat. I chose to stay in this one. No big woop.

Bet you saw the other 20 or so  now mega yachts too....like me....sux dont it?

I don't come to any kind of conclusion regarding your boat being bigger than mine, in the event that it happens to be bigger.

My bitcoin boat is performing about 3x to 4x beyond my most bullish expectations, so what good does it do to conclude that the grass is greener somewhere else, or I could have been 20x.. ?  Who fucking cares?  Does not matter in the whole scheme of things, because bitcoin has been delivering and is likely to continue to deliver. 

Perhaps some of the alts, such as ETH or BCH or some of the others might deliver in the future and could perhaps deliver BIGGER than bitcoin, bitcoin still does not seem to be a bad boat to be in, when you weigh the pros, cons, and both the upside and downside risks.  Good luck to you and your various alts...  and anyone else who feels inclined to compare the size of dicks, I mean boats.  Tongue

jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:49:30 AM

The part in question is the STM32F205RET6 ARM processor which is easy enough to order up at the usual sources.

Unfortunately, counterfeit parts are epidemic in the components industry today, and the incentive to spin up a "special" one of these is...rather large
the artful bodger

Activity: 292
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:50:12 AM

There was a 500 coin wall on bitfinex holding things back. It's disappeared now, so $15500 is the next target.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:53:17 AM

Now that the forum is completely pessimistic I wouldnt be suprised if it just spiked straight up to 20K like 'Aha! Fooled you. The bear market is off.'

so I see you set yourself up for both ways eh? you should be a cold reader. the credulous folk would see you as a psychic genius...

EXACTLY what these predicting folks try to do.  Predict in both directions, and then try to act as if whatever happens was consistent with what they were predicting all along.  The best posters remain those who condition their predictions and remain humble about correct outcomes.  I really doubt that anyone can predict with more than 80% confidence, and even that is quite high, but yeah, I already understand that a large majority of folks do like to predict in terms of absolutes, even though future outcomes do not work like that (until they become historical events).   Wink
I was making more of a sarcastic remark rather than a prediction.

However there are people who set themselves up using a matrix of accounts with every combination of multiple predictions. For example if there are 3 yes/no predictions to be made then they need 8 accounts. Whichever account made all the correct predictions is then used to pump something.

You know too much about the business of trolling.  Therefore, you should be eliminated...  Wink   That's my level of endearment, currently, towards your asserted good intentions.   Tongue
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:02:39 AM

So, let's see if I got it all right.

I go to the library, (with my clothes on), download the "make your paper wallet" site from the library computer (so the computer can't be traced to me) onto a USB stick. Buy a refurbished poo computer from Ebay, Get naked, take a shower just to be sure, put on a balaclava thats been in the microwave to kill the microcameras that might have been put there by the Chinese who made it, get an enema, make the wallets, preferably in a dark room with loud music, print them on a virgin printer, pour petrol on the printer and computer and burn them, put the wallets in an envelope seal it with wax and my coat of arms, and put it in my box in the bank.

Did I miss anything?

But seriously, thank you all for your input, I know OPSEC is important, and I do get more and more paranoid as the price goes up.

Do yourself a favour. Get a TREZOR. Seriously. I don't think you want to expose yourself to the risks of owning and maintaining a paper wallet. Write your 24-word seed on 2-3 small pieces or paper, laminate them, and store/hide them safely in 2-3 separate places. Also, use an additional 25th word/phrase (passphrase), so that even if someone finds your seed, it will be useless without the passphrase.

All done! You can sleep peacefully at night. Definitely worth the 100-something € to buy the TREZOR.

^^^ THIS

I really can't understand guys having a "fortune" in crypto and not owning some hardware wallets. You don't even need to put everything you own into it. Just buy it, play with it and, when you are confident enough, decide how much you want to manage with a hardware wallet, how much in paperwallets, how much in exchanges, in software wallets, etc....
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:04:10 AM

There was a 500 coin wall on bitfinex holding things back. It's disappeared now, so $15500 is the next target.

I really wanted to go sideways for a while at $16400. It was a fine number.
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:10:49 AM

The part in question is the STM32F205RET6 ARM processor which is easy enough to order up at the usual sources.

Unfortunately, counterfeit parts are epidemic in the components industry today, and the incentive to spin up a "special" one of these is...rather large

Can't you trust the usual places to source you clean parts? Where do SatoshiLabs order their parts?
Enjel

Activity: 70
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:12:51 AM

This is the 4th time on 6hr chart that we've had these bumps back up $750+.  Each time though the overall trend is it drops lower.

I hope we can get a REAL breakout on one of these and stay up finally.  Until then I definitely don't trust the increase in price as having staying power.  We

Isn't that just totally normal? 5% ups and downs, with a big of fluctuation.

And in the long run, since the big correction, the dips have stabilized. 10k - 16k bouncing for a while seems reasonable to me. 8k is possible, but would be an extreme low (that is literally quoting Novogratz, who I trust with predictions).
For the price to really drop, you would need some pretty bad news.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:20:38 AM

Can't you trust the usual places to source you clean parts? Where do SatoshiLabs order their parts?

Now you are starting to think.  THAT is a very good question.  One would hope that they have a secure delivery arrangement with the manufacturer...one would hope...their website is mute on the subject.

This is where, despite its truly shamefully cheap physical implementation, the ledger is a cut above as it uses a proprietary, locked down ST31H320 secure micro for the sensitive bit and the ARM just runs the display/buttons and USB.

You will note that that link goes to an adverpage, not a datasheet.  There isn't one.  This is a hardened, enterprise class part.
Pages: « 1 ... 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 18897 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 [18910] 18911 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 ... 33462 »
  Print  

Jump to: