June 19, 2024, 08:45:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 18897 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 18910 [18911] 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 18961 ... 33462 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26403353 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10423

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:20:48 AM

So, let's see if I got it all right.

I go to the library, (with my clothes on), download the "make your paper wallet" site from the library computer (so the computer can't be traced to me) onto a USB stick. Buy a refurbished poo computer from Ebay, Get naked, take a shower just to be sure, put on a balaclava thats been in the microwave to kill the microcameras that might have been put there by the Chinese who made it, get an enema, make the wallets, preferably in a dark room with loud music, print them on a virgin printer, pour petrol on the printer and computer and burn them, put the wallets in an envelope seal it with wax and my coat of arms, and put it in my box in the bank.

Did I miss anything?

But seriously, thank you all for your input, I know OPSEC is important, and I do get more and more paranoid as the price goes up.

Seems like if you put it in the bank, then you still need one other location, in case the bank burns down or something.  Whether your second location is your home or another bank, it is not so likely that your catastrophic failure is going to happen at both of your locations at the same time, no?
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:23:33 AM

This is the 4th time on 6hr chart that we've had these bumps back up $750+.  Each time though the overall trend is it drops lower.

I hope we can get a REAL breakout on one of these and stay up finally.  Until then I definitely don't trust the increase in price as having staying power.  We

Isn't that just totally normal? 5% ups and downs, with a big of fluctuation.

And in the long run, since the big correction, the dips have stabilized. 10k - 16k bouncing for a while seems reasonable to me. 8k is possible, but would be an extreme low (that is literally quoting Novogratz, who I trust with predictions).
For the price to really drop, you would need some pretty bad news.

You must be new  Grin
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:26:25 AM

The part in question is the STM32F205RET6 ARM processor which is easy enough to order up at the usual sources.

Unfortunately, counterfeit parts are epidemic in the components industry today, and the incentive to spin up a "special" one of these is...rather large

Can't you trust the usual places to source you clean parts? Where do SatoshiLabs order their parts?

Now you are starting to think.  THAT is a very good question.  One would hope that they have a secure delivery arrangement with the manufacturer...one would hope...their website is mute on the subject.

You guys had convinced me to get one until I read this post.

Is there any evidence to raise the minimum glimpse of suspicion? #doyouknowsomethingwedont?

Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:27:56 AM

I go to the library, (with my clothes on), download the "make your paper wallet" site from the library computer (so the computer can't be traced to me) onto a USB stick. Buy a refurbished poo computer from Ebay, Get naked, take a shower just to be sure, put on a balaclava thats been in the microwave to kill the microcameras that might have been put there by the Chinese who made it, get an enema, make the wallets, preferably in a dark room with loud music, print them on a virgin printer, pour petrol on the printer and computer and burn them, put the wallets in an envelope seal it with wax and my coat of arms, and put it in my box in the bank.

Did I miss anything?

But seriously, thank you all for your input, I know OPSEC is important, and I do get more and more paranoid as the price goes up.

Do yourself a favour. Get a TREZOR. Seriously. I don't think you want to expose yourself to the risks of owning and maintaining a paper wallet. Write your 24-word seed on 2-3 small pieces or paper, laminate them, and store/hide them safely in 2-3 separate places. Also, use an additional 25th word/phrase (passphrase), so that even if someone finds your seed, it will be useless without the passphrase.

All done! You can sleep peacefully at night. Definitely worth the 100-something € to buy the TREZOR.

^^^ THIS

I really can't understand guys having a "fortune" in crypto and not owning some hardware wallets. You don't even need to put everything you own into it. Just buy it, play with it and, when you are confident enough, decide how much you want to manage with a hardware wallet, how much in paperwallets, how much in exchanges, in software wallets, etc....

I don't trust those electronic gizmo's. Paper and ink is after all paper and ink, and can't be tampered with. Keeping it in a safe place is the least of my worries.
Enjel

Activity: 70
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:28:38 AM

This is the 4th time on 6hr chart that we've had these bumps back up $750+.  Each time though the overall trend is it drops lower.

I hope we can get a REAL breakout on one of these and stay up finally.  Until then I definitely don't trust the increase in price as having staying power.  We

Isn't that just totally normal? 5% ups and downs, with a big of fluctuation.

And in the long run, since the big correction, the dips have stabilized. 10k - 16k bouncing for a while seems reasonable to me. 8k is possible, but would be an extreme low (that is literally quoting Novogratz, who I trust with predictions).
For the price to really drop, you would need some pretty bad news.

You must be new  Grin

I started in 2016 - for some that is new.

You are saying the price will reach 8k without bad news? Doubt it. Even South Korean FUD hasn't hurt much.
Rosewater Foundation

Activity: 392
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:31:56 AM

The part in question is the STM32F205RET6 ARM processor which is easy enough to order up at the usual sources.

Unfortunately, counterfeit parts are epidemic in the components industry today, and the incentive to spin up a "special" one of these is...rather large

Can't you trust the usual places to source you clean parts? Where do SatoshiLabs order their parts?

Now you are starting to think.  THAT is a very good question.  One would hope that they have a secure delivery arrangement with the manufacturer...one would hope...their website is mute on the subject.

Is there any evidence to raise the minimum glimpse of suspicion? #doyouknowsomethingwedont?

I'd like to know how much damage one of these counterfeit parts can do? How nefarious can they possibly act in this context? Given the amount of dough other people have at stake, I suspect there's already been a lot of digging. I'm personally willing to risk being weirded by technology more than I'm prepared to have someone walk away with a paper wallet. But just barely.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:32:30 AM

Let me be clear.

I am NOT trying to spread FUD, nor dissuade anyone from using a Trezor.  This is a purely theoretical threat vector.

I am one paranoid motherfucker gentlemen.  The sums are...substantial...
Arriemoller
Legendary

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:34:16 AM

Did I miss anything?

Seems like if you put it in the bank, then you still need one other location, in case the bank burns down or something.  Whether your second location is your home or another bank, it is not so likely that your catastrophic failure is going to happen at both of your locations at the same time, no?

I am, seriously, going to bury a laminated copy somewhere on my land. And have smaller amounts also in my hidden home safe. (I have a visible decoy safe bought very cheap from Cina with some crap in it).
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:35:21 AM

also, please see the edit to my post above regarding the Ledger

What I am waiting for before I migrate to a hardware solution is something well built, they are both just laughably flimsy, and open source save for the secure enterprise chip, with a larger screen and more than 2 buttons.

Is that too much to ask?
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:38:46 AM

I am, seriously, going to bury a laminated copy somewhere on my land. And have smaller amounts also in my hidden home safe. (I have a visible decoy safe bought very cheap from Cina with some crap in it).

and now the internet knows all these things
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:40:00 AM

I don't know much about paper wallets. But aren't they basically bearer bonds. Are they pw protected at all? Doesn't asset forfeiture apply to bank safe deposit boxes just as well as accounts?

I don't trust banks full-stop.

Seems like a very physical approach to security.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:41:17 AM

Did I miss anything?

First off, you people seem to have an inordinate amount of trust in banks.  'Safe deposit boxes'  Belong to the bank, just like your deposits.  Access is controlled...Not by You.

As for burying laminated paper... Maybe if you live in a desert.  Test your lamination in a bucket of water for double your minimum expected burial time, with many test subjects.  Plastic is water resistant.  For a time.  Not for all time. Better to bury stamped stainless, or even stamped plastic if you worry about metal detectors, or if heat is a zero concern (house fire, wild fire, etc.)
Arriemoller
Legendary

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:41:24 AM

and now the internet knows all these things

True, but I'm protecting against the random burglar, not the cheap wrench, that ship has sailed.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:42:44 AM

I don't know much about paper wallets. But aren't they basically bearer bonds. Are they pw protected at all? Doesn't asset forfeiture apply to bank safe deposit boxes just as well as accounts?

I don't even know what that means.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:44:40 AM

Did I miss anything?

First off, you people seem to have an inordinate amount of trust in banks.  'Safe deposit boxes'  Belong to the bank, just like your deposits.  Access is controlled...Not by You.

As for burying laminated paper... Maybe if you live in a desert.  Test your lamination in a bucket of water for double your minimum expected burial time, with many test subjects.  Plastic is water resistant.  For a time.  Not for all time. Better to bury stamped stainless, or even stamped plastic if you worry about metal detectors, or if heat is a zero concern (house fire, wild fire, etc.)

To clarify, they would in turn be in a airtight plastic container.
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:45:11 AM

This is what I meant. I can't English good.
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:45:35 AM

I don't even know what that means.

It means being your own bank requires that you don't cede control of everything... to a motherfucking bank!  I'd rather leave it all on Poloniex.
Arriemoller
Legendary

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:46:47 AM

Did I miss anything?

Maybe that applies to the US, but in Sweden The deposit boxes content belongs to me.
Rosewater Foundation

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:48:55 AM

Ah. Sweden. Sounds lovely. Smiley
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:49:27 AM

Did I miss anything?

Maybe that applies to the US, but in Sweden The deposit boxes content belongs to me.

Until it doesn't.  Used to be that way everywhere.  If you are correct, Sweden is one of the few remaining western states where this is the case.  I suppose you don't have bail-in laws either then.  Canada got those in 2013.  Depositors are 3rd tier creditors.
Pages: « 1 ... 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 18897 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 18910 [18911] 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 18948 18949 18950 18951 18952 18953 18954 18955 18956 18957 18958 18959 18960 18961 ... 33462 »
  Print  

Jump to: