May 06, 2024, 12:29:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19799 19800 19801 19802 19803 19804 19805 19806 19807 19808 19809 19810 19811 19812 19813 19814 19815 19816 19817 19818 19819 19820 19821 19822 19823 19824 19825 19826 19827 19828 19829 19830 19831 19832 19833 19834 19835 19836 19837 19838 19839 19840 19841 19842 19843 19844 19845 19846 19847 19848 [19849] 19850 19851 19852 19853 19854 19855 19856 19857 19858 19859 19860 19861 19862 19863 19864 19865 19866 19867 19868 19869 19870 19871 19872 19873 19874 19875 19876 19877 19878 19879 19880 19881 19882 19883 19884 19885 19886 19887 19888 19889 19890 19891 19892 19893 19894 19895 19896 19897 19898 19899 ... 33327 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372865 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:58:07 PM

wow i think 43% bitcoin dominance is way too much

correction will come soon

I think it is not enough. Correction will come, but in Bitcoins favor.

for an coin that can not be used as a currency i highly doubt that

*sigh*  You don't really have very much bitcoin do you?

Most probably his net amount of BTC is *negative*. Simply not having any Bitcoin would not be enough of a reason to be here spreading ridiculous FUD with no vested interest at all.

P.S.: 43.1% now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:00:41 PM

As a business owner I wouldn't price anything in bitcoin. Not yet anyway. Maybe after wider adoption it's volatility calms down. But you can still price your products in ounces of gold or silver and take bitcoin as payment. So that whole "bitcoin cant be a currency" thing is dumb. It may or may not ever be a good money. But it makes a fine currency even right now.
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:07:44 PM

@birr... The first part of your discussion of dollar cost averaging lends some insight to the practice because you are indicating that there is something wrong with employing an opposite strategy... however, then your suggestion largely devolves into a kind of recommendation of a reverse dollar cost average strategy.

NO matter if you are in a BTC accumulation stage, or a maintenance stage or a liquidation stage, your strategy should be to attempt to sell BTC on the way up and to buy BTC on the way down.  Of course the more you are on one spectrum or another remains a personal choice but it also effects how you may employ the strategy.  So for example, if you are in a BTC accumulation stage you might buy more on dips and perhaps sell less on rises because your goal is accumulation, but that should not cause you to sell on the way down or buy on the way up.

Usually, if some one who is employing a sell on the way up and buy on the way down is panicking because they screwed up and did not sell enough, so the strategy probably would be to attempt to make up for the screw up by selling a decent sized chunk and then returning to the strategy of buying if the price goes down with the proceeds that were generated from the sale.

Continuing to sell on the way down or creating a plan that continues to sell on the way down is not a good strategy nor is it equally good as buying on the way down... and perhaps making and emergency sell because of a screw up and then maybe even going back to HODL, if not feeling comfortable enough to buying on the way down.

What's wrong with my post?  I am merely describing a practice, and my disagreement that a kind of incremental selling on the way down that has been described as dollar cost averaging is a good plan.. In essence, I think that largely it is stupid because it seems ill thought out because it contradicts the more important strategy, which should be buying on the way down (not selling on the way down).

Geez louise....I cannot tell if you are trolling or not?
It should have been obvious that I am agreeing with you here. I merited the post, then I post a picture illustrating that I agree with it.

I realize we have been at odds in the past but it should serve as a breath of fresh air for you that I find your opinion to be valid. Your strategy is very similar to mine, very simply, buy on the way down and sell on the way up.

-PoolMinor
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:10:16 PM

As a business owner I wouldn't price anything in bitcoin. Not yet anyway. Maybe after wider adoption it's volatility calms down. But you can still price your products in ounces of gold or silver and take bitcoin as payment. So that whole "bitcoin cant be a currency" thing is dumb. It may or may not ever be a good money. But it makes a fine currency even right now.
It's far more convenient than the payment methods Europe generally uses right now, as credit cards aren't really that much of a thing there. Once the likes of Lightning Network and mass adoption in retail take place I won't really see myself using any other currency anymore unless I had to.
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:20:27 PM

Just giving a 2x leverage short a try. We should be getting big green dildos, shortly. Grin

Yea you're screwed buddy. I just put up a sell order. That means the price is about to moon.

I'm too much of a chicken shit for this. Closed my position. Maybe another day.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898

Clueless!

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:27:06 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2018, 07:44:22 PM by Searing

Just giving a 2x leverage short a try. We should be getting big green dildos, shortly. Grin

Yea you're screwed buddy. I just put up a sell order. That means the price is about to moon.
'

yeah..I'm gonna have to sell on the low here also....scrypt-pow mining is in a downtrend...I have 13K of income tax to cover with tax man from last year

that I can't write off in any manner ..including equipment (used 2018 $$$ to dump into 15K solo401k for last year (which I can buy crypto with if it stays in

that sandbox...but then again when?) so all is good on that front..but a solo401 for a self-employed business...can only be funded according to you income stream

not on dividends (ie selling crypto more than I make in the year) in 2018....so I'm gonna start hitting a wall here soon with mining puking out

So looking at things now....I too will have to sell some to stay ahead of the rock rolling down ...like you see in traders of the lost ark....the 2018 tax man must be appeased too!

I am hoping that this downturn in crypto prices and BTC etc is due to people in 1) my boat in some manner ..miners or 2) just getting ducks in a row and

have to sell for last years taxes by April 15th in the USA

anyway, the only plus side of dumping stuff to usd now for the above purposes I state...is if the price of BTC dumps further...so I kinda fell like a traitor

but no choice...

the good news is as stated already by  anon136...by us both having to sell some now.....I too always sell at the low so the BTC price should shoot up..rapidly
!

(frigging reality sucks!)

gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:30:56 PM

'

yeah..I'm gonna have to sell on the low here also....scrypt-pow mining is in a downtrend...I have 13K of income tax to cover with tax man from last year

that I can't write off in any manner ..including equipment (used 2018 $$$ to dump into 15K solo401k for last year (which I can buy crypto with if it stays in

that sandbox...but then again when?) so all is good on that front..but a solo401 for a self-employed business...can only be funded according to you income stream

not on dividends (ie selling crypto more than I make in the year)

So looking at things now....I too will have to sell some to stay ahead of the rock rolling down ...like you see in traders of the lost ark....the 2018 tax man must be appeased too!

I am hoping that this downturn in crypto prices and BTC etc is due to people in 1) my boat in some manner ..miners or 2) just getting ducks in a row and

anyway, the only plus side of dumping stuff to usd now for the above purposes I state...is if the price of BTC dumps further...so I kinda fell like a traitor

but no choice...

the good news is as stated already by  anon136...by us both having to sell some now.....I too always sell at the low so the BTC price should shoot up..rapidly
!

chinese miners shitting on the free money parade? :-D >>Antminer should hire some pumpers Wink lol
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2018, 07:33:42 PM

...... FUD

It correlates very well (suspiciously well in fact) with the 2013 bubble aftermath. However, the timeline is hugely accelerated, meaning we're almost at the bottom of it already. By my reckoning, it will take a maximum of two more months to bottom out, assuming it hasn't already. The massive volumes we saw on 6 Feb  at $6k will be hard to beat and I'm still in two minds whether that's likely to get broken again.

http://telegra.ph/Inferno-market-outlook-The-Double-Bubble-Analysis-03-16

wow!  LOOK AT THAT GRAPH!

The bottom is in... me thinks!

Go BITCOIN GO

I wouldn't want to say it's a done deal yet. And even if $6k was the bottom, doesn't mean we won't dip near it again.
It does look like the worst is over though, as you'd expect at this point in a correction, and the next 2 months could well see some excellent opportunities for accumulation.

If someone has better art skills and access to the data they need, I'd be interested to see how the last 4 bubbles correlate. Nov 2013 and Dec 2017's aftermaths have been incredibly similar so far. Says a lot about human psychology.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10212

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:45:29 PM

Bitcoin as a currency is way fucking more understandable than ounces of gold or ounces of silver, because no one knows what the fuck those pms are.  Part of the reason for the move to the dollar was to make matters much more easy to calculate and recognizable.

Currently on a system's-wide basis, part of the problem with bitcoin has to do with Gresham's law, but another part is not widely adopted, but bitcoin is way better than pms in terms of divisibility, recognition, trustability and portability.. and perhaps a few more things when it just comes to the currency aspect of bitcoin.  

So merely because bitcoin is not being used on a general system's wide basis (and you specifically say that you don't want to use it in your pee brain pie in the sky ideas because gold/silver are supposedly better) does not mean that bitcoin is not already a better form of currency than those two pms that you mention, so long as you find a ready, willing and able second party to do the exchange.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898

Clueless!

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:46:47 PM

'

not on dividends (ie selling crypto more than I make in the year)

but no choice...

!

chinese miners shitting on the free money parade? :-D >>Antminer should hire some pumpers Wink lol

well i got my miners on a bet on april 1st on bitcointalk here of 6 buck LTC floor...so was ahead on that game miner wise..but all things must end

and nothing but 'dubious' miners i see in 2018...so might be wrapped up to being a 'hobby miner' again with 2 in the basement

but yeah, too many asic's too low a price...from what I hear ...BTC miners in countries with cheap electric are just breaking even...

so everything BTC and crypto wise seems to be in some distress

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:52:10 PM

[edited out]
Geez louise....I cannot tell if you are trolling or not?
It should have been obvious that I am agreeing with you here. I merited the post, then I post a picture illustrating that I agree with it.

I realize we have been at odds in the past but it should serve as a breath of fresh air for you that I find your opinion to be valid. Your strategy is very similar to mine, very simply, buy on the way down and sell on the way up.

-PoolMinor

I guess we are just speaking different languages.  I will work harder. 

d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:56:51 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1)

This can't be the trustee selling. On Saturday? Puh-leeze!

This is manipulation, plain and simple. Somebody wants to have our coins for cheap.

Don't let them.

Hodl.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:57:01 PM

wow i think 43% bitcoin dominance is way too much

correction will come soon

What altcoin actually has real utility? Monero, ethereum and maybe filecoin (when it comes out)? And of those 3 only one is a money. So really only Monero should be capitalized beyond what is necessary for on network token utility. Bitcoin dominance should probably be 80% or more.

gotta get me some of those Moneros yo
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:02:31 PM

not on dividends (ie selling crypto more than I make in the year) in 2018....so I'm gonna start hitting a wall here soon with mining puking out

but no choice...

!

There are a lot of people in the same boat, Wall St. wants those coins nice and cheap.

The pump will come immediately after tax day.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:03:19 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-16/fewer-americans-hold-cryptocurrencies-than-you-probably-think

Great stuff from Bloomberg there.
What do you reckon the real figure for ownership is? 0.5%?

If you average out the men and the women in the survey, then overall, it looks like bloomberg is finding about a 6% self-proclamations of ownership of crypto in the USA... and that does seem a bit high, even in the USA...

I do think that we are going to get variance in different parts of the world, and I think that there is quite a bit of speculation that puts world-wide involvement (ownership) at something in the neighborhood of .5%... which would be around 35 million.

So, yeah, those bloomberg self-proclamations of ownership numbers are a bit surprisingly high, but the seemingly higher number could be factored into their survey too.... or maybe questions about whether bloomberg are surveying americans broadly enough, and even some problems with seeming to fail to define what is a proper "ownership" threshold, something like currently own $10 or more or have transacted with $10 or more in the past calendar year?.. that is if we could deem such a low threshold of $10 as meaningful ownership?
d_eddie
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:04:18 PM

There are a lot of people in the same boat, Wall St. wants those coins nice and cheap.

Which is... when's the last deadline?
d_eddie
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:09:37 PM

(snip)

Currently on a system's-wide basis, part of the problem with bitcoin has to do with Gresham's law, but another part is not widely adopted, but bitcoin is way better than pms in terms of divisibility, recognition, trustability and portability.. and perhaps a few more things when it just comes to the currency aspect of bitcoin.  

We may be solving the tx fee issue soonish. Signs are promising. However, one problem I see with bitcoin as a currency is price volatility. It's unbearable. I think that's what Anon136 meant when mentioning gold.

OK, 1 btc = 1 btc - so the price in echo-chamber terms is stable, but

How many apples for 1 btc?
How much bread, gasoline?
How many lambos?

Until these questions get an answer that drifts as slowly as gold (or better yet, slower), general adoption as a currency isn't reasonable to expect.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:10:35 PM

April 17 is the tax deadline this year, but it seems a fairly random date to tie to any kind of meaningful BTC price performance
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:10:49 PM

17 April
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:14:02 PM

(snip)

We may be solving the tx fee issue soonish. Signs are promising. However, one problem I see with bitcoin as a currency is price volatility. It's unbearable. I think that's what Anon136 meant when mentioning gold.

OK, 1 btc = 1 btc - so the price in echo-chamber terms is stable, but

How many apples for 1 btc?
How much bread, gasoline?
How many lambos?

Until these questions get an answer that drifts as slowly as gold (or better yet, slower), general adoption as a currency isn't reasonable to expect.

You might be correct that Anon136 is referring to volatility, but he did not say that... and even accounting for volatility, bitcoin is probably better than an ounce of gold or silver as currency, even in the presence.. .. My point is that we can deal with bitcoin's volatility rather than trying to figure out how to currently transact with gold or silver... you go try it.. good luck.
Pages: « 1 ... 19799 19800 19801 19802 19803 19804 19805 19806 19807 19808 19809 19810 19811 19812 19813 19814 19815 19816 19817 19818 19819 19820 19821 19822 19823 19824 19825 19826 19827 19828 19829 19830 19831 19832 19833 19834 19835 19836 19837 19838 19839 19840 19841 19842 19843 19844 19845 19846 19847 19848 [19849] 19850 19851 19852 19853 19854 19855 19856 19857 19858 19859 19860 19861 19862 19863 19864 19865 19866 19867 19868 19869 19870 19871 19872 19873 19874 19875 19876 19877 19878 19879 19880 19881 19882 19883 19884 19885 19886 19887 19888 19889 19890 19891 19892 19893 19894 19895 19896 19897 19898 19899 ... 33327 »
  Print  

Jump to: