May 03, 2024, 10:57:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27335 27336 27337 27338 27339 27340 27341 27342 27343 27344 27345 27346 27347 27348 27349 27350 27351 27352 27353 27354 27355 27356 27357 27358 27359 27360 27361 27362 27363 27364 27365 27366 27367 27368 27369 27370 27371 27372 27373 27374 27375 27376 27377 27378 27379 27380 27381 27382 27383 27384 [27385] 27386 27387 27388 27389 27390 27391 27392 27393 27394 27395 27396 27397 27398 27399 27400 27401 27402 27403 27404 27405 27406 27407 27408 27409 27410 27411 27412 27413 27414 27415 27416 27417 27418 27419 27420 27421 27422 27423 27424 27425 27426 27427 27428 27429 27430 27431 27432 27433 27434 27435 ... 33320 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371647 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 02:13:12 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), JayJuanGee (1), Torque (1)

It's happening again - I've started getting messages from friends-of-friends asking whether I think they should invest in xxx shitcoin, because apparently it's the new bitcoin.

So 2017.

I am moving beyond just saying "yes, just by bitcoin and hold it".

Instead I will ask them to ask themselves why they never bought bitcoin before. In what ways are they living their life differently from the many people that bought bitcoin early. Why is it that they are just now considering buying. If they just want to get rich in dollars then they have missed the whole point of bitcoin and they should not buy.

If they want to buy bitcoin they should stop watching the media and propaganda that has hidden bitcoin from them this whole time. They should actually start looking into what money is and what gives it value.  They should actually read the White Paper to find out what this whole 'Bitcoin' thing is all about.

If they want to go down that road, then my door is wide open and the advice is free. If they just wanna get rich on the next boom, then gtfo.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:31:22 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), 600watt (1)

@karenSanmol
We found the first time someone said "Bitcoin is going to the moon".

The price of #bitcoin   was $0.11

https://twitter.com/karensanmol/status/1327307056332890120?s=21

How is it that so many of these Bitcoin OGs fall into the shitcoin trap? That Bimmerhead dude should be a Bitcoin gazillionaire by now (and a maximalist).

the farther back in time, the less clear everything was around bitcoin. I, for example thought at the beginning that additional protocols are important as a replacement chain should bitcoin go offline ( Cheesy) and that competition was good on protocol levels.

i had no idea that this was the start of the great plague of shitcoinery.

imho Vitalik will be remembered as the guy who coined the term "bitcoin maximalist" but no one will remember ETH. it is kind of ironic that is was vitalik who gave the bitcoin community its identity. before a bitcoiner was a bitcoiner. but a bitcoin maxi is a completely different beast. he tried to introduce this term as an insult. and in typical bitcoin grandeur, the supposed attack was morphed into something that made bitcoin stronger.

hasta la victoria siempre!

As far as that guy goes, he gets what he gets. I distinctly remember when Vitalik launched ETC, he made it very very clear that ETC was not even a "cryptocurrency" per se. He said that. He also said that ETC would never be a competitor to Bitcoin. Those were his exact words. Then somewhere along the line he started to get 'selective amnesia' about the things he actually said... so fk that guy.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 02:38:10 PM

imho Vitalik will be remembered as the guy who coined the term "bitcoin maximalist" but no one will remember ETH. it is kind of ironic that is was vitalik who gave the bitcoin community its identity. before a bitcoiner was a bitcoiner. but a bitcoin maxi is a completely different beast. he tried to introduce this term as an insult. and in typical bitcoin grandeur, the supposed attack was morphed into something that made bitcoin stronger.

hasta la victoria siempre!

As far as that guy goes, he gets what he gets. I distinctly remember when Vitalik launched ETC, he made it very very clear that ETC was not even a "cryptocurrency" per se. He said that. He also said that ETC would never be a competitor to Bitcoin. Those were his exact words. Then somewhere along the line he started to get 'selective amnesia' about the things he actually said... so fk that guy.

LOL.

Couldn’t resist.  Yes, I know what you meant.  :-)
V8s Road Warrior

Activity: 90
Merit: 44

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:47:21 PM

nullius can you please conform to Bitcointalk Suchmoon's Vision and not retitle the thread. apparently it equates to derailing.
V8s Road Warrior

Activity: 90
Merit: 44

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 02:49:23 PM

she would have those darn trains running on time i'm pretty sure of it
"the new leaderette"
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 02:53:01 PM

Yeah, but mine was a typo 'cause of my cheap useless keyboard. Hairy just can't spell, and he is a native speaker.

sure.

the fact that u need 3 posts to excuse your stupidity and blaming it on cats and keyboards tells a lot about your maturity. a spelling/grammar nazi should really be a tiny bit more careful in his own posts. I saw your mistake yesterday and so did everyone. did I or harry or anyone else take the effort and point it out to you? take it like a man, sissy. you are making it worse.

Your wrong.  There is a world of difference between a simple typographical error, which everybody (and even nobody) sometimes makes (its just human!), and a looser who cant distinguish the meanings of drastically different homophones.

If that upsets you, to bad.

Relevant:

#condescension backfire

What’s wrong?  You are literate in ancient Greek, and you have a scholarly critique of my admittedly amateurish grammar?  Or do you complain that the word I constructed from Greek roots was inadvertently omitted from your dictionary?

[...much lulz...]

P.S., just in case you ever do catch me in such typographical errors as I not infrequently find in my own posts, keep handy my stock answer for criticisms from creatures far below my level:

Am I mortal?  Do I myself sometimes make bizarre typographical errors (usually induced whilst editing) which are not caught by my obsessive exercise of the preview button to read proof?  Alas!  It most saddens me when such a fate befalls one of my precious little belles-lettres.  Nobody has yet dared to flame me over such a triviality; but if or when that happens, my response may be expected to be along these lines:

Quel dommage!  I have erred!  😢  The form of my art is marred by some trivial flaw which dishonours its unavoidable substance!  I will now slap myself in the face with a large trout, and then drink myself into a stupor.  Meanwhile, complaints from my critics shall be filed according to the virtù of their own substances, as measured against mine. 🗑️”
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 03:50:13 PM

Bitcoin near ATH and no one bats an eye.

Only when the altcoin section is booming again together with Bitcoin ATHs, we are reaching a peak again.

#stillearly  Cool
FullNode

Activity: 505
Merit: 270

Don't Trust, Verify

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 03:58:51 PM

Bitcoin’s Price Action Rhymes With 1970 Gold Markets, Says CitiBank
Key Takeaways
An independent report from Citi Bank’s Managing Director argues that Bitcoin is the digital gold of the 21st century.
The devaluation of the worlds’ reserve currency—the U.S. dollar—formed the basis of the commentary.

https://cryptobriefing.com/bitcoins-price-action-rhymes-1970-gold-markets-says-citibank/
friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:11:41 PM

Bitcoin’s Price Action Rhymes With 1970 Gold Markets, Says CitiBank
Key Takeaways
An independent report from Citi Bank’s Managing Director argues that Bitcoin is the digital gold of the 21st century.
The devaluation of the worlds’ reserve currency—the U.S. dollar—formed the basis of the commentary.

https://cryptobriefing.com/bitcoins-price-action-rhymes-1970-gold-markets-says-citibank/

Indeed independent (as opposed to 'from CitiBank itself'), so at least now we know with certainty which assets his bags are filled with. Wink
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 04:21:43 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2020, 04:41:33 PM by nullius

nullius can you please conform to Bitcointalk Suchmoon's Vision and not retitle the thread. apparently it equates to derailing.

Bitcointalk SV is not accepted here.  suchmoon’s opinions are just that; I file most of them in “taken under advisement”.  Here, specifically, her opinion about “derailing” is arrant nonsense. 🗑️

Observe how wildly suchmoon lashes out at me from petty spite:  She follows up her opinion of “derailing” by arguing against my expectation that I can post serious discussion outside of the Serious Discussion forum (!).  Seriously?  Roll Eyes

I don’t know why people take suchmoon’s pronouncements so seriously.  She is not an administrator, she is not staff, she is not even very smart—well, she is exceptionally skilled at winning popularity contests.  You may guess how much weight I accord to popular opinion.

I do have reasons for changing the titles on many of my posts; please see below, just in case my motive for retitling posts may be questioned by somebody whose opinion means more than suchmoon’s.

she would have those darn trains running on time i'm pretty sure of it
"the new leaderette"

LOL, I see what you did there.  Vide the title of this post.

Why I Retitle

I have always retitled posts when I thought that was appropriate.  That has never brought any complaints in Development & Technical Discussion, which in my opinion is the most serious forum (yes, more serious than “Serious Discussion”).  It has never caused complaints in Bitcoin Discussion, either—n.b. that that link is to me retitling on my own topic, which I assuredly did not wish to “derail”.

Although my retitling of posts is sometimes hostile, that only occurs if the post itself is hostile to OP.  As aforementioned, I not infrequently retitle posts in my own threads—and in others’ threads, I oft receive merit from the topic starter on a retitled post.  N.b. that that last link is to a post where I rewrote Lauda’s topic title—and Lauda merited me!  I have even retitled my posts in the (strictly self-moderated, very authoritarian) Cult of Lauda thread—just in case there was any remaining doubt about “derailing”, or any intention thereof.

My post titles have sometimes been accorded praise in the titles of replies.  Other than a few prior not-quite-complaining remarks in WO, the only place where it has brought complaints was in Reputation—from petty-minded nitwits with personal grudges against me, who were searching for an excuse to nitpick.  —Now, what was that about suchmoon?

Besides aesthetics, one of the reasons why I often (but not always) set custom post titles is that I use my received merit list as a navigational aid.  Indeed, all of the links in the preceding paragraphs were rapidly found just now by hitting Ctrl-F, and typing in keywords that I remembered.  I do this almost every day, usually multiple times per day; my most memorable posts often receive merit, and have memorable topic titles, so...  Compare the Last of the V8s received merit list, which is more formidable than mine, but—opaque.  (I have explained this before somewhere, in PMs and/or publicly; alas, I don’t know where, and I don’t have a handy navigational aid for finding it.)

I like to keep things organized.  Properly labelled.  For the same reason, because WO is special, I retitle my WO posts with a “[WO]” marker.  Where I think it’s appropriate, outside WO, I sometimes retain portions of the original topic title—sometimes not; I determine that by the overall context, whether I agree or disagree with the OP (and even whether I am the OP).
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3426
Merit: 4344

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:35:12 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2020, 04:55:50 PM by Paashaas
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Breaking News; World’s second-biggest bank embraces bitcoin.

The second-biggest bank in the world is the latest institution to embrace bitcoin.

China Construction Bank (CCB) has announced that it is working with digital securities exchange Fusang to raise up to $3 billion through a publicly-listed debt security on a blockchain.

A special purpose vehicle has been established for the purpose of issuing the “Longbond.” Retail investors will be able to purchase digital tokens on the Fusang exchange using dollars or bitcoin, with investments of as little as $100, Finextra reports.
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 4159

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:50:17 PM

The second-biggest bank in the world is the latest institution to embrace bitcoin.

China Construction Bank (CCB) has announced that it is working with digital securities exchange Fusang to raise up to $3 billion through a publicly-listed debt security on a blockchain.

A special purpose vehicle has been established for the purpose of issuing the “Longbond.” Retail investors will be able to purchase digital tokens on the Fusang exchange using dollars or bitcoin, with investments of as little as $100, Finextra reports.

Further down they mention Bitcoin, but phrases like "a blockchain" make me feel a little wary...
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:53:17 PM
Merited by nullius (1)

I sometimes retain...    ...sometimes not; I determine that by the overall context, whether I agree or disagree with the OP (and even whether I am the OP).

Tash

Activity: 1190
Merit: 305

Pro financial, medical liberty

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 04:57:34 PM

Further down they mention Bitcoin, but phrases like "a blockchain" make me feel a little wary...

When i read "Chinese bank" if feel very wary as a scam victim of the third largest Chinese bank (ABC) Agricultural Bank of China
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 05:03:10 PM
Merited by strawbs (1)

It's happening again - I've started getting messages from friends-of-friends asking whether I think they should invest in xxx shitcoin, because apparently it's the new bitcoin.

So 2017.

Same here. In the past weeks the first couple of acquaintances contacted me to ask about Bitcoin. Every cycle it's the same. The psychology doesn't change either. It's all about speculation. But Bitcoin is too expensive now. So what about Ethereum? They read an article. Or which shitcoin would I recommend? I do try my best to re-focus their attention from speculation to understanding the tech & its implications.

I am moving beyond just saying "yes, just by bitcoin and hold it".

Instead I will ask them to ask themselves why they never bought bitcoin before. In what ways are they living their life differently from the many people that bought bitcoin early. Why is it that they are just now considering buying. If they just want to get rich in dollars then they have missed the whole point of bitcoin and they should not buy.

If they want to buy bitcoin they should stop watching the media and propaganda that has hidden bitcoin from them this whole time. They should actually start looking into what money is and what gives it value.  They should actually read the White Paper to find out what this whole 'Bitcoin' thing is all about.

My recommendation is always the same. Start with the white paper. It's not that difficult to read. A quiet evening & a bottle of their alcoholic beverage of choice should do the trick. Once fully understood, allocate a % of your net worth you're comfortable losing and buy a hardware wallet. Control your private keys and don't be a weak hand.

Every cycle a few of these people learn their lessons and join our ranks of strong hand hodlers.

It is important that us old-school hodlers help these folks out. We want them to hold coins as well, not just the grayscales and microstrategies of this world.

BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1826
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 05:11:09 PM
Merited by 600watt (1)

After wiring the funds from our latest windfall, to our main, joint financial institution, the most difficult decision I need to make today is "How many mg of psilocybin do I want to dose myself with, and is today the day that I finally put @nullius on ignore..."

Life is good.

Have a great weekend, gentlemen.
strawbs
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1340

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 05:28:08 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (2)

After wiring the funds from our latest windfall, to our main, joint financial institution, the most difficult decision I need to make today is "How many mg of psilocybin do I want to dose myself with, and is today the day that I finally put @nullius on ignore..."

Life is good.

Welcome to the "Retirement - Psilocybin - Nullius on Ignore" hat-trick. It's a wonderful place Bob, I think you'll like it here  Grin
rdbase
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1501

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2020, 05:33:56 PM

-Wayyy TMI- Wink

https://twitter.com/JimBTC/status/989152686430973952
Above link is in regards to rules of fomo'ing in.
Maybe having a WO hat would be better than a tin foil one. You can just ask xhomerx to make you one with your mirror symbol on it.

This is the wall or have I made a wrong turn into meta Huh

Life is good.

Probably for the best since the next stop is the twillight zone.

Have a good one too! Wink
LFC_Bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 9544

#1 VIP Crypto Casino

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 05:40:51 PM
Merited by FullNode (1)

https://twitter.com/100trillionusd/status/1327631471973117952?s=21

TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
November 14, 2020, 05:45:27 PM

Once we hit 20k im going to starting sending that gif again -- was doing it in 2017 every 1000 increase!
Pages: « 1 ... 27335 27336 27337 27338 27339 27340 27341 27342 27343 27344 27345 27346 27347 27348 27349 27350 27351 27352 27353 27354 27355 27356 27357 27358 27359 27360 27361 27362 27363 27364 27365 27366 27367 27368 27369 27370 27371 27372 27373 27374 27375 27376 27377 27378 27379 27380 27381 27382 27383 27384 [27385] 27386 27387 27388 27389 27390 27391 27392 27393 27394 27395 27396 27397 27398 27399 27400 27401 27402 27403 27404 27405 27406 27407 27408 27409 27410 27411 27412 27413 27414 27415 27416 27417 27418 27419 27420 27421 27422 27423 27424 27425 27426 27427 27428 27429 27430 27431 27432 27433 27434 27435 ... 33320 »
  Print  

Jump to: