Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:22:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435331 times)
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:51:48 AM

+1

I would also be looking for kits, initially probably 20 x K1`s and a few K16`s to see how I get on. I will probably get most of my chips assembled by a third party to get mining quick then play with some K1`s, if a K16 works well I shall do all my own from kits with future chip orders.

Looking at the pdf`s and terra`s photo of populated board https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198489.msg2487159#msg2487159
Is probably enough to get me going so dont waste too much time on it..

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:22:28 AM

Mine was 3.14.5 Build 130318 rel,6432ln. Came up on IP address 1.0.232.194 for some reason.
FWIW:

1.0.232.194: TOT Public Company Limited, Phuket, Phuket, Thiland. 

Quite possibly just random, though, wouldn't you think?
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:43:35 AM

I'm sure there are many who are toying with the idea to DIY the assembly of the K16 or K1, but considering there we are at least few weeks (and maybe more) far from batch chip delivery, I don't think you should waist your time right now on that, there will be plenty of time for that later. It look's to me that getting the prototypes functional is of the highest priority.
No, that was for later, but I needed something for my own prototype assembly.

Placing this many parts by hand without a guide sheet sitting next to me that I can work from would be error prone. The plan is to print sheets and mark them in groups. eg. sheet one has all the 0.47uF caps highlighted. Each sheet with only a few values so they can be identified without mixing them up. I can work through them in passes, and see easily when I've completed a group. I'll be working under a lighted ring magnifier with fine tip tweezers.

It will be in stages anyway at first, with testing in between, and for later I have stuff coming to make a manual PnP table for doing my own boards.

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:45:45 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 03:57:25 AM by BkkCoins

Looking at the pdf`s and terra`s photo of populated board https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198489.msg2487159#msg2487159
Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen it yet.

I'm not sure they realise over there that this isn't going to plug in and mine right now. A lot of the code is present but it's not debugged and it will require quite a bit of work still to get it working as expected, not to mention there is no driver yet for cgminer. So the best case initially is using the ktest program to feed test data and getting any result nonces back.

I've been working today on a kslog utility which takes sharelog data from cgminer and decodes the merkle and midstate data so that suitable test data that is known to give a nonce result can be fed in with ktest. Also, this data is used for the chip detection algorithm so it's needed for completing the firmware. kslog is written and works but I have no idea if I got the endian swaps right. It outputs python and C syntax data statements to use in ktest and the firmware.

SoggyLettuce

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:14:24 AM

This might be a weird question but whatever. On the k1 miner board photos you linked, is that the official klondike miner logo that is on the boards? If so can you link me to an image of the logo itself? I am wanting to customize my cases a bit.

Thanks in advance
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:15:38 AM

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen it yet.

I'm not sure they realise over there that this isn't going to plug in and mine right now. A lot of the code is present but it's not debugged and it will require quite a bit of work still to get it working as expected, not to mention there is no driver yet for cgminer. So the best case initially is using the ktest program to feed test data and getting any result nonces back.

I've been working today on a kslog utility which takes sharelog data from cgminer and decodes the merkle and midstate data so that suitable test data that is known to give a nonce result can be fed in with ktest. Also, this data is used for the chip detection algorithm so it's needed for completing the firmware. kslog is written and works but I have no idea if I got the endian swaps right. It outputs python and C syntax data statements to use in ktest and the firmware.

Quick/stupid question. Tried going thru kicad, is my understanding correct?
There are 4 outer holes for stacking the pcb, and 4 inner holes for mounting heatsink.
The gap between outer holes is 9cm and between inner holes is 8.5cm.
So if stacking vertically using hex spacers, the heatsink should not be bigger than 8.9 cm x 8.9 cm
^ Is this correct?

Also, whats the diameter of the holes? Would a M3 screw fit or we should use M2 ?

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:27:27 AM

There are 4 outer holes for stacking the pcb, and 4 inner holes for mounting heatsink.
So if stacking vertically using hex spacers, the heatsink should not be bigger than 8.9 cm x 8.9 cm
^ Is this correct?

Also, whats the diameter of the holes? Would a M3 screw fit or we should use M2 ?
The inner holes are spaced closer than 8.5cm - more like 6.2 x 5.5 cm.

The heat sink should not cover the spacer positions if you use spacers, or unless you put holes in the heatsink. It can extend a full 10cm in one direction as long as the other is < (9cm - spacer radius - a bit).

The holes are 4mm diameter which seemed to about right in metric for the regular ATX motherboard size screws. I don't recall is that's M3 but it sounds right.

turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:37:52 AM

^ Is this correct?

The inner holes are spaced closer than 8.5cm - more like 6.2 x 5.5 cm.

The heat sink should not cover the spacer positions if you use spacers, or unless you put holes in the heatsink. It can extend a full 10cm in one direction as long as the other is < (9cm - spacer radius - a bit).

The holes are 4mm diameter which seemed to about right in metric for the regular ATX motherboard size screws. I don't recall is that's M3 but it sounds right.

Ah thanks.
M3 is 3mm and M4 is 4mm. They just use the Mx rating for screws. Maybe ill try with both. Its best if the screw attaching the heatsink is as snug as possible...

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:46:01 AM

This might be a weird question but whatever. On the k1 miner board photos you linked, is that the official klondike miner logo that is on the boards? If so can you link me to an image of the logo itself? I am wanting to customize my cases a bit.

Thanks in advance
It is the logo but I'm not sure I'd call it official. I just found it on google images and decided it was fitting and it'd be nice for a graphic on the board. There could be someone out there who's going to be stompin mad I used their pickaxe and shovel graphic. So if a talented graphic designer here wants to make up a similar or even different and better one that can be released as CC licensed I'd be open to that.

For the time being I'll see if I can dig up the image and put it up on github.

(... done)

stayhomedad1

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:18:10 AM

Thanks in advance
It is the logo but I'm not sure I'd call it official. I just found it on google images and decided it was fitting and it'd be nice for a graphic on the board. There could be someone out there who's going to be stompin mad I used their pickaxe and shovel graphic. So if a talented graphic designer here wants to make up a similar or even different and better one that can be released as CC licensed I'd be open to that.

For the time being I'll see if I can dig up the image and put it up on github.

(... done)

How bout a pick axe mining away on the open source symbol?
mrm0

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:18:38 AM

Ah thanks.
M3 is 3mm and M4 is 4mm. They just use the Mx rating for screws. Maybe ill try with both. Its best if the screw attaching the heatsink is as snug as possible...

Nope, stay with M3 screws. For two reasons:
- drilling tolerances
- thermal expansion of the PCB.

1BUcKJVz5n34VwuiyiLtPud1PGn3BLkcPb  :-)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:25:51 AM

Yeah. Need room for cables as well.
You may want to look at FPC or ribbon cable w/headers to tie the klego connectors on each side to the next side. Usually side-side would use a 2x5 pin header wired correctly, but since you have a corner to wrap maybe a short 3 lead FPC type connector could be fitted. Or possibly if the spacing is right a right angle header on one side matched with a vertical on the next would line up.

Anyone find these ribbon connectors?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 08:49:01 AM

Ah thanks.

- drilling tolerances

Thanks. Any tips for mounting heatsink? Would the PCB take the weight of aliminium heatsink if the pcb is mounting on hex spacers?

LaserHorse

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:26:21 AM

k - here's a very basic axe & shovel I drew up in illustrator.  I'm open to revisions/etc, can also provide an EPS or SVG format if needed.

PiMiner - control & monitor your miners with Raspberry Pi   •   BTC: 1AV5JekeEVET5u2jTsLDMRsTtagrBnNTBR
mrm0

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:31:58 AM

Ah thanks.

- drilling tolerances

Thanks. Any tips for mounting heatsink? Would the PCB take the weight of aliminium heatsink if the pcb is mounting on hex spacers?

Probably it would, but the generic rule is not to use PCBs as mechanical carriers. I would mechanically attach heatsink(s) to the frame/enclosure and have PCBs mounted to heatsinks. So the heatsinks would support PCBs rather than the other way round. Or, if you want to use hex spacers as stands, use them to directly support the heatsink as well, i.e. use only the inner set of holes.

1BUcKJVz5n34VwuiyiLtPud1PGn3BLkcPb  :-)
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:37:15 AM

Ah thanks.

- drilling tolerances

Probably it would, but the generic rule is not to use PCBs as mechanical carriers. I would mechanically attach heatsink(s) to the frame/enclosure and have PCBs mounted to heatsinks. So the heatsinks would support PCBs rather than the other way round. Or, if you want to use hex spacers as stands, use them to directly support the heatsink as well, i.e. use only the inner set of holes.

Ah makes sense. So, drill small hole in the base of the heatsink, but leave a bigger gap in the fin area such that the screw of the spacer goes thru heatsink base plus pcb, but the weight is is carried by the heatsink. Going to be a little tricky. Or maybe not use the heatsink hole for the spacer, but rather get heatsink bigger than pcb and use the outside area for spacers... decisions...

Another advice : Any issues with using thermal adhesive rather than screws/bolts for mounting pcb on heatsink? <-- cause we are no longer mounting heatsink on pcb, but other way round.

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:40:16 AM

Ah thanks.

- drilling tolerances
Yes, I believe I started out with 3mm and made them bigger to accommodate standard ATX screws with some clearance.

BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:47:04 AM

Ah makes sense. So, drill small hole in the base of the heatsink, but leave a bigger gap in the fin area such that the screw of the spacer goes thru heatsink base plus pcb, but the weight is is carried by the heatsink. Going to be a little tricky. Or maybe not use the heatsink hole for the spacer, but rather get heatsink bigger than pcb and use the outside area for spacers... decisions...

Another advice : Any issues with using thermal adhesive rather than screws/bolts for mounting pcb on heatsink? <-- cause we are no longer mounting heatsink on pcb, but other way round.
I wouldn't use only adhesive on a board the size of the K16 but perhaps it would work on the K1.

My personal plan was to use bigger heat sinks as a long bar with several K16s fastened using spring clamped bolts to the heat sink. This should put a little less stress on the PCB where it mounts but keep even pressure on the thermal pads. This may not be the best way as I've yet to experiment with different arrangements and for a commercial product it may be more costly and so less desirable if it only works as well as smaller heat sinks. But this way the mount holes only support the weight of the board and not the heat sink.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:09:49 AM

I currently have about 6mm space along top and bottom because the corner holes are there.
The first metal exposed on the holes is at 2.8mm from edge.

Stacking/mounting hole centers from each corner are at 5mm, 5mm and dia. currently 3mm.
Holes centered between ASICs are at 18.5mm, 22.5mm same 3mm dia.
See diagram posted further up for layout.

You could probably use a VGA heat sink mounted under each quadrant of 4 ASICs. The total size covering 4 ASICs is 28mm x 25mm.

The Mask gerber was the one I needed. Tried using Kicad first, but it didn't have any export options. Got it now. 100 x 100mm board, 90 x 90mm mounting holes spaced 5mm off board edge and 55 x 62mm heat sink mounting. Perfect!
I am toying with the idea of a quad mounting bracket.

Uhm, if the ancient post from BKK is still right, I come up with 55x63mm..

Does this look right?

Ente
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:12:43 AM

Also:

good work mrb,

this is what we wanted to see in the beginning.

hint hint: the chip has a much higher clock cap.  Wink Roll Eyes

Yes, I know the top priority is to get Klondike out and running stable at stock clock.
But damn, this haunts me! :-)

Ente
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: