Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:33:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 121 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTracking - Profit/Loss Portfolio and Tax Reporting for Digital Currencies  (Read 121800 times)
Silviu77

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:45:11 PM

Ahh! I was referring to the chart on the Dashboard page which shows all your combined hodlings.

@sgjenks01
Indeed on Dashboard there is a toggle for USD/BTC, but when change to BTC all i can see is changed the price display from USD to BTC, while the trend 30 days display remains unaffected.
So i'm assuming the 30 days trend percent is hard-coded to measure in USD terms only.

I think it would be interesting to allow toggle of USD/BTC to the 30 days trend percent computation as well. For example as a would be crypto-investor i might choose to focus on increasing my crypto portofolio holdings in BTC terms. As by looking at a portfolio just in USD terms it might seem fine and be on the green, but actually it might have bled heavily in BTC terms..

Happy to hear more thoughts on this : )

Cheers!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kronny

Activity: 137
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:15:36 PM

Hi Dario, do u have any news about bittrex API?
Still same Ad

"Notare che l'API di Bittrex è attualmente in grado di includere solo le transazioni degli ultimi 30 giorni. Bittrex sta già lavorando su una soluzione. Per importare tutte le operazioni, si consiglia prima di utilizzare l'importazione di Bittrex CSV, e quindi di attivare l'API. In questo modo, verranno importate tutte le passate e future transazioni."

Ty

I buy private Nvidia miners.  PM me.
Arkaen

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:39:48 PM

Hi Dario,

Thanks for your hard work delivering all these features.

There's an import error with the new QuadrigaCX API.

I've included a screenshot below showing the correct import via spreadsheet (labeled "Quadriga") vs. the incorrect API import (labeled "QuadrigaCX").

The "buy" and "sell" amounts are reversed (should be BUY $245.02 CAD, SELL 0.74396196 ETH), and the transaction fee should be $1.23 CAD, not 1.23 ETH.

https://i.imgur.com/YJqZyCT.jpg

The same problem happens with BTC transaction imports.

Also, I recall there may have been a decimal place error when the API is allowed to import Canadian dollar deposits and withdrawals. I've since disabled this feature so I don't have a screencap, but I recall it was reporting a withdrawal of $10,000 as $10, when the true amount should be $10000. Likely an error based on comma vs point conventions in North America vs Europe.

Thanks!

-Tim
sgjenks01

Activity: 91

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:34:46 PM

Ahh! I was referring to the chart on the Dashboard page which shows all your combined hodlings.

i might choose to focus on increasing my crypto portofolio holdings in BTC terms. As by looking at a portfolio just in USD terms it might seem fine and be on the green, but actually it might have bled heavily in BTC terms..

@Silviu77
I have run into this exact issue. If you use the Realized and Unrealized page on CT, you can toggle it back and forth between USD and BTC. When you do that, it shows your P&L by USD or BTC and you may find exactly what you describe. I'm a pretty visual person, so I like to look at candlestick charts. To do that, I use https://www.tradingview.com  They have most cryptos priced in BTC and USD. They also list a ton of stocks from all over the world. The crypto listings are by exchange, so if you have a favorite exchange, you would probably want to pick that pair. They provide a free and a paid option. With the free option, you are able to create an account and maintain a watch list. I've never felt a need to get the features available with the paid subscription. I put a horizontal line on the chart at the price and time I buy or sell, which provides a very visual means of keeping score.
Dario3000 (OP)

Activity: 760
Merit: 516

CoinTracking - Crypto Portfolio & Tax Management

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2017, 11:40:35 PM

Hey,

@Arkaen: Yes, you're right. Sorry for that.
Quadriga was switched for FIAT sales.
I have fixed it and the decimal issue as well.
Thanks for your note.

@Its About Sharing:
ICOs will usually not have an automatically set cost basis since they are not traded on any exchange at the time of the ICO.
You will need to set them manually on the Enter Coins page (Edit -> Edit Asset value).
There is a detailed FAQ description called "My coin price/value does not seem correct" or something like that Smiley

@Kronny:
Sorry, we received a message from Bittrex that they are working on this issue, but I guess it will take them some time.

@sgjenks01:
You should be able to find the error in the Tax Report by clicking on the "show warnings" button.
And you can also find it in the "detailed calculation report" which is quite good to find the exact transaction.
If you have any issues fining the missing transaction, please send us a short support ticket and we will find it for you Smiley

Mined coins will be listed:
1) in the Mining report with the value at the time of the transaction (you will need to pay tax on that) and
2) in the Capital Gains Report in case some parts of your mined coins were sold (you will need to pay tax on that as well, but only on the gain which is the [sell price - the price at transaction])

You are all right. Currently the 30 days mini-chart is only for USD.
It's already on our to do list and we will try to add it soon.

Since we currently receive more than 100 support tickets a day, I apologize for any delays.

Best,
Dario

CoinTracking.info - Your Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Calculator for all Digital Currencies
Simply the best way to track your digital assets accurately. Get live data for more than 5000 coins, assets and commodities. Track Gains & Balances from all your exchanges and wallets.
Need help? CoinTracking FAQ
sgjenks01

Activity: 91

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 06:32:58 AM

@Dario @ Keven,
Okay, I got all the tax report errors to go away. Now I have a new question. The Capital Gains/Losses page shows that all the trades were short, when in fact they were all long. The profits seem correct. Why are they showing as Short trades?

Steve
LJF007

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:33:37 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2017, 11:05:28 PM by LJF007

Hello,

New Pro user here.  This subject was kind of touched upon in earlier posts, but I didn't find an answer so please bear with me:

As we know, a common situation is moving crypto from one place to another... a non-taxable Withdrawal and non-taxable Deposit (not a taxable Trade and not a taxable Spend). 

Also common is that a fee for that service is also incurred upon Withdrawal (say from an exchange when moving a crypto balance to a wallet).  The send amount is gross in CT, the fee amount is noted properly in CT, and the subsequent Deposit amount is less (net) in CT.  All that is correct.

But unlike the effective inclusion of fees in CT taxable events of Trade and Spend, I have yet to see how that service fee "spending" is to be carried over to the tax reporting side of CT.  I see the incurred capital gains reporting (for Trades and Spends).  I see the income reporting (mining and general income).  On the expense side, I see areas for inclusion of certain other costs.

Seems like when I incur a fee to simply move crypto from exchange to wallet, I am purchasing a service at that moment and so performing a taxable Spend at that moment for just that fee amount.  Subject to the FIFO (or other) taxable sale treatment as any other Spend.  Small as it is.  The movement of the net crypto amount (after that service fee) is certainly a non-taxable event.  But I have not figured out if CT has an automated mechanism for me to include the movement fee "Spend" as a taxable event in the tax reports... or if I am just not understanding something about this. 

After gain/loss tax treatment (if I'm right that is), seems it is ALSO then a tax expense deduction?  Being a cost to move the crypto around?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
zerogmd

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:05:50 AM

Hi Guys,

Anyone have this problem?
My main currency in Cointracking is USD. However, I make both EUR and USD deposits (from a US and a German bank account) in my Kraken account and then I buy BTC (and others) with these deposited funds. For those BTC trades I make from my EUR deposits, the tax form generator spits out an error message and states that no cost basis is present and calculates a 100% gain in USD with a USD 0.00 cost basis. I can not pinpoint where the problem lies as the EUR deposit and trades appear to be correctly imported.

Is there a remedy to this problem?

Thanks.
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:06:24 AM

Seems like when I incur a fee to simply move crypto from exchange to wallet, I am purchasing a service at that moment and so performing a taxable Spend at that moment for just that fee amount.

It doesn't look like a gain, more like a loss.

Does anybody know more?
hgmichna

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:19:34 AM

My main currency in Cointracking is USD. However, I make both EUR and USD deposits (from a US and a German bank account) in my Kraken account and then I buy BTC (and others) with these deposited funds. For those BTC trades I make from my EUR deposits, the tax form generator spits out an error message and states that no cost basis is present and calculates a 100% gain in USD with a USD 0.00 cost basis. I can not pinpoint where the problem lies as the EUR deposit and trades appear to be correctly imported.

If I'm not mistaken, if your home currency is set to USD then CoinTracking treats euros and all other currencies similar to other investments. Therefore it wants to know when and for how many dollars you bought those euros.

In short, it isn't enough to just transfer euros to an exchange, you have to buy them first and let CoinTracking know that.

If you bought the euros on the same day or if the exchange swapped dollars for euros, you could perhaps, instead of entering them as a "General Deposit (Transfer)"/"Allgemeine Einzahlung (Transfer)", simply declare the euros as "Income"/"Einnahme" to CoinTracking. I believe that CoinTracking then assumes that you bought the euros at that moment for the going euro exchange rate and even inserts that exchange rate automatically.

CoinTracking not only tracks cryptocoin gains and losses, it also tracks currency gains and losses and includes them in your tax calculations.

Note that you have to set your home currency to the one you are taxed in. For example, if you are a German resident then you have to set your home currency to EUR, and all I have written above has to be reversed between EUR and USD.

I don't work for CoinTracking and may be wrong. Don't rely on my hint alone.
LJF007

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:01:25 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 05:27:16 PM by LJF007

Seems like when I incur a fee to simply move crypto from exchange to wallet, I am purchasing a service at that moment and so performing a taxable Spend at that moment for just that fee amount.

It doesn't look like a gain, more like a loss.

Does anybody know more?

I should have explained better... by "a taxable Spend" I mean "a tax-impactable spending event CT refers to as a Spend type".   

A service fee is purchased (incurred) with crypto simply to move the larger crypto balance.  Seems to me like the fee part is a tax-impactable event...  a Spend in this case, so FIFO (or other method) capital gain/loss calculation takes place and that result goes to one's capital gain/loss tax reporting.

But then also... what was the Spend (or any Spend) used for?  That is, was it a tax deductable purpose or not?  If I buy a cup of coffee... no (unless it's a business entertainment expense!).  But in this situation, if I am buying a service (=incurring a fee) to move my crypto from the exchange to my preferred secure wallet... I'd say yes, the fee is also a deductible expense.  That fee expense reduces one's current taxable income and would appear as a deduction on tax reporting.

If this seems to end up being correct, I understand it isn't likely a huge priority.  CT is a great help to me... Thank You!  In an ideal world, I suppose one way to take care of this is to have the Withdrawal type address this common fee situation.  It would treat the fee portion only in the same manner as a "Spend".  It would also carry the fee value over to a tax expense report (maybe "Tax Deductible Fee Report"?). 

Or perhaps create another Withdrawal type that works like this so people are not suddenly impacted by this when they don't want to be until they choose to be.
caz777

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:28:12 PM

Thank you for a superb service. I really love the overview CoinTracking is giving me.

A minor issue I have is:

- I have QTUM in my portfolio. When I use the Binance trade history file import, this is read as QTU, which is not taken into all calculations, and thus is not contributing to the value of my portfolio. When I manually change from QTU --> QTUM it works as intended.
sirobvo

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:43:00 PM

Hi
I have looked for service like your for a long time
really happy to find you
I think there is a problem in bitfinex API import
it imports only a few of the trades I think only the deposit and after 5-6 tries
I have tried to change API keys I have tried to do it manually etc every time it import 1-2 orders out of 5-10
and the big problem is after when you import CSV it gives you a warning that asks you to delete all the trades in order for the API import to work and it still don't work Sad 
username is sirobvo@gmail.com
TreasureSeeker

Activity: 455
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 02:32:08 PM

Hello Dario and the great Cointracking team!

Can I ask if the update to add the Average Cost (AVCO) method of calculating capital gains to the Cointacking site is still on schedule to be available this month and maybe whether you can give an idea of roughly when?

Thanks for a brilliant service in the Cointracking site.

Fun & Friendly p2pool Mining at TreasureQuarry.  Litecoin http://litecoin.treasurequarry.com:9327 Dash p2pool  http://dash.treasurequarry.com:7903
cryptovski

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:13:47 AM

Hi
I have looked for service like your for a long time
really happy to find you
I think there is a problem in bitfinex API import
it imports only a few of the trades I think only the deposit and after 5-6 tries
I have tried to change API keys I have tried to do it manually etc every time it import 1-2 orders out of 5-10
and the big problem is after when you import CSV it gives you a warning that asks you to delete all the trades in order for the API import to work and it still don't work Sad 
username is sirobvo@gmail.com

I'm having this same problem. New trades are not being imported, even after a forced reload on the Jobs area.

Is this a problem with Cointracking or BitFinex API?

Best,
cptvk
GrumbleShark

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:35:48 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for CoinTracking.  I've gotten my modest portfolio entered, and it's amazing.  Well done guys.
kwest1

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 12:25:04 AM

@TreasureSeeker:
An average gain method calculation is already in progress and will be released soon.

Came here to ask for this. In Sweden we use Average Cost.. fingers crossed it'll be ready by the end of this year! Great service and site in every other way. Just bought an Unlimited membership.

Yes it will definitely be ready in November this year Smiley

Best,
Dario

Still nothing? November came and went already. "Definitely" is a very strong statement.. don't over promise, over deliver. Bad marketing practice to say that something is 100 % out by a certain time and then not follow through.
hgmichna

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:28:22 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 01:52:55 PM by hgmichna

English:

A little question about the "CSP-Mode" button:

Is it only about performance or can the wrong choice cause errors?

Deutsch:

Kleine Frage zum Button "CSP-Modus":

Geht es dabei nur um die Performance oder können auch Fehler auftreten, wenn man den falschen Modus verwendet?
dchou

Activity: 97

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:02:07 PM

Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked, but what is the best practice for handling Poloniex margin trades?

When i import margin trades it counts the initiation of my long as a btc sell (of which i don't have).

is it recommended to have multiple accounts where you separate out margin and spot trades?

Secondly, when i sell on Polo and transfer to coinbase to sell for fiat, it can't seem to find a basis for my sell.

Thanks for any help in advance...
sbct8876

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:31:50 AM

Cointracking questions:

1. How do you combine multiple transactions?  I'm using the automatic API from Poloniex and trying to group all my Poloniex lending transactions together since there's thousands of tiny trades.

2. How do you import transactions from a Ledger Blue?  I went to "receive" on my ledger and copied the bitcoin address there then plugged that in to my wallet import and created a new job.  However, it's not syncing any data.

3. How do I prevent overlap if I have multiple wallets and have moved the same coin between each wallet in the past?  For instance, I have a BTC balance on ledger and a BTC balance on poloniex.  And want to prevent them both appearing like I have earned twice the coin, when in fact it's the same coin.  Or does cointracking.info do this automatically for me?

4. How do I enter BCH transactions and trades?  I can't seem to find the option.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 121 »
  Print  

Jump to: