Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:20:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How many BottleCaps do you own?
None - 86 (39.1%)
1-1k - 30 (13.6%)
1k-10k - 28 (12.7%)
More than 10k - 76 (34.5%)
Total Voters: 220

Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 219 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottlecaps 2.1 UPDATE REQUIRED - HARDFORK JULY 4 2014 to 200% Annual PoS  (Read 388604 times)
ScrappyD2o

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:38:53 PM

I've redownloaded the BlockChain several times now, but I constantly get the message Checkpoint is too old.

BottleCaps v1.5.2.0-g32a928e-caps

tried:
Clean .conf file with only official nodes
No .conf and letting QT figure it out
Nodes list from one of the sites listed in the OP

Every single time: WARNING: Checkpoint is too old. Redownload Blockchain.

What can I do to fix this?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:52:41 PM

I've redownloaded the BlockChain several times now, but I constantly get the message Checkpoint is too old.

tried:

This is normal, until he updates the checkpoint. There hasn't been any real issues with the chain, so a checkpoint wasn't actually required. (That is to ensure everyone is on the same chain. A default value from lite-coin, which few coins have "fixed" to compensate for the faster coins. Thus, it warns way to early than it should.)

You can ignore that warning. Though, they should all adjust it, and put auto-checkpoints.

To ensure you are on the right chain, if you have doubts, use cap-explorer.
http://bottlecaps.kicks-ass.net/block_crawler.php
eBit

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:26:32 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 04:42:15 PM by eBit

tried:

Hi ScrappyD2o. Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting the issue.

CAP has recently added a feature called advanced checkpointing. What BitCoin does is manually update the latest checkpoint in the client with each new client release. This checkpoint helps to secure the network. With BitCoin, sometimes a client update is not issued for months, so the checkpoint isn't updated either.

What advanced checkpointing adds is an external checkpoint server which the client checks after every block.  The regular checkpoint is still updated with each new client release, but security is enhanced further by verifying every block with the checkpoint server.

The message you are receiving pertains to this checkpointing.  Regular or advanced checkpointing are not required for the network to function properly and securely. They are an added security feature.  If your last synced block number in the client matches the one at http://bottlecaps.kicks-ass.net/block_crawler.php you have done everything right and can begin to use the client.

I'll contact Mullick, the main developer on the client to have him take a look at the checkpoint server. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post.

ScrappyD2o

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

tried:

Hi ScrappyD2o. Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting the issue.

CAP has recently added a feature called advanced checkpointing. What BitCoin does is manually update the latest checkpoint in the client with each new client release. This checkpoint helps to secure the network. With BitCoin, sometimes a client update is not issued for months, so the checkpoint isn't updated either.

What advanced checkpointing adds is an external checkpoint server which the client checks after every block.  The regular checkpoint is still updated with each new client release, but security is enhanced further by verifying every block with the checkpoint server.

The message you are receiving pertains to this checkpointing.  Regular or advanced checkpointing are not required for the network to function properly and securely. They are an added security feature.  If your last synced block number in the client matches the one at http://bottlecaps.kicks-ass.net/block_crawler.php you have done everything right and can begin to use the client.

I'll contact Mullick, the main developer on the client to have him take a look at the checkpoint server. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post.

Ah! The last block indeed matches, so I suppose it works as required. Thank you for the explanation Smiley Saves me a lot of time in constantly redownloading the entire blockchain.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:28:53 PM

The question remains: where is mullick?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:30:13 PM

The question remains: where is mullick?

He said a few posts back, that he was indisposed for a brief moment. He was going to check-in from his laptop, from where-ever he was at... I am not sure how-much he will be able to do, away from home. Not like everyone keeps their programming artillery with them on the go! Tongue

I wish more people would chime-in, on the coin.

I am looking into the paper-wallet thing more. Since I will be making go-cards with it, like I did with min-coins, months ago. (Which is why I had that code in the first-place.)

Now if they just had a wallet-generator that was repeatable, based off the locking-password and the original first receive-address... That would give our wallets something that others don't have... Recreatable wallets, from two solid values. (Unlike now, where only the first 100 addresses are recreatable, and any beyond 100, are just lost, if you don't know them or the wallet gets corrupted. Since the following 100, after the first 100 are purely random creations. Since it would use the locked-wallet password as part of the generation, that maintains the random security. Because if they know your password, then you are screwed anyways.)

Having multiple wallets would be a nice touch too... (Selectable from within the client.)

Having a coin-specific wallet, would be even better... (Cap-wallet.dat, as opposed to all wallets just called wallet.dat, which makes it a pain to backup. Because you have to make each in a folder, or rename them all then rename them again to restore them.)

Even better if it did an auto-backup, to a different location, checking that the wallet was OK before doing a backup. (One bad section in a hard-drive, and your wallet is just gone. It never even knows it is corrupt until you try to reload it. Especially after a computer crash, which happens often when you leave your wallet open to mine all the time. Hard-drive caching is guilty of that corruption.)

Even if you restore an older wallet, if you had tx's with newer random addresses, those are just lost forever, because they didn't exist in the older wallet, and the chances of recreating that address again, randomly, are slim-to-none. (For those of us who use more receiving addresses than the wallets first 100, to identify sales. But again, all coins are like that, at the moment.)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 07:50:17 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2013, 10:52:01 PM by ISAWHIM

Anyone have the wallet/daemon running on a raspberry-pi?

EDIT: Found a site with a nice tutorial... going to try and see how this works for the daemon...
http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/

Just have to put apachee with PHP and MySQL on there too... and you have a whole gateway sub-processor account all ready to go!

Would make a great turn-key solution, to sell, for those wanting processing integration on websites. (As opposed to bogging-down the website-server with that additional processing load, and exposing the wallet directly to the server. Especially since most web-shops are on shared-servers or home-servers.)

I would just rather spend $35 for a wallet-processor, instead of another $300+ for another dedicated power-hungry computer. Tongue

Plus, I can just put it right next to my router at home, where I can monitor it directly and swap-out physical wallets.

Now if the wallet just used something secure for talking, besides unsecured HTTP and JsonRPC... That would give us another advantage over other wallets. (Why it isn't HTTPS or simply encoded HTTP-URLs, I will never know.)

Also, might want to put up some simple RPC access-limits for the config. EG, I only need read-only access, or confirm-payment info. (As opposed to Allow-all, or Allow-none, by not allowing or not allowing RPC connections. Since the NAME and PASSWORD are both broadcast in the URL for POST connections over HTTP/HTTPS. Without URL encryption. EG, http://mywallet.com:3232/RPC?99s8f78ds7df8g7d9f8gdf6g7dsfsdfadfafdasd54656r5fg6" The command, name and pass would be encrypted, with salt, as well as the matching reply. Thus, useless reply to those without the key.)

Thus, having it limited to just those replies and commands, stops someone from maliciously "Creating new addresses", which would potentially break or fill a wallet with dead-addresses that can't be recovered through normal recreation of an earlier wallet. (That, or asking for wallet-info that otherwise might expose sensitive information or other commands from the wallet, from the JsonRPC interface, which I don't need. Which many of us will never even use. Those who do use them, also would know how to enable the ones they need. Thus, all except "Connection reply info", should be disabled, until turned-on in the config file.)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:27:34 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 03:48:28 AM by ISAWHIM

Also a suggestion...

Why not make the wallet use some CPU use, when not POSing... To mine POW, while POW exists. (This way, any-time the diff is low, instead of it all going to only a few cash-out miners, the found coins go to the people POSing, who would welcome the nice 10-coin reward between POSing blocks. Thus, limiting the cash-out, which just degrades the overall value and lowers the diff by pushing away miners.)

Eg, it only POSes, when POS is available to be generated. However, when not POSing, it just sits idle. If you allow us to select %CPU use, we could dedicate spare cycles to help reduce the further under-selling from cash-outs. One that wouldn't interfere with our normal computer use, by using 100% cpu power.

Perfect time to test that theory... If it adds only 20Mhs from the POS open-wallets, that is less POW miners will get, and will have to demand more for their coins. Yet, it won't be so much power that it would cripple the network when more actual miners begin mining the coin again. But the more POS users, the harder it becomes to "solo-harvest" by degrading other miners from mining. Which is happening now. Was happening... But I can't keep buying everyone's coins forever! (Ok, I am buying many, not all of them. lol. The point is, I am not buying them then instantly re-listing them, stopping others from mining and making it go lower.)

At these prices, the coins are still a steal to buy. Not so great to sell though, unless you are mining for the future.
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:12:18 AM

Im back now sorry for the long absense Had a family emergency and was out of town got back for one day then left again. 2,200 Miles later Im back lol

Checkpointing server got hung up a while back I rebooted it remotely the other day checkpoint message should be gone. Ill finish up the wallet hopefully tonight.

Ill keep everyone posted throughout the night
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:12:46 AM

Got an interesting email from my hosting provider. The server which runs the checkpointing client was suspended due to "excessive" bandwith usage.

Leave my caps alone! Please and thank you Smiley

So I moved it to another IP address. If it happens again ill look into some form of protection. This poses no threat to the network. It is self sufficient now im moving the checkpointing depth down now as well reducing the "Dependence" on the server
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 08:13:24 PM

Got an interesting email from my hosting provider. The server which runs the checkpointing client was suspended due to "excessive" bandwith usage.

Leave my caps alone! Please and thank you Smiley

So I moved it to another IP address. If it happens again ill look into some form of protection. This poses no threat to the network. It is self sufficient now im moving the checkpointing depth down now as well reducing the "Dependence" on the server
Was much is "excessive"? Do you have a log?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:33:24 AM

Mullick, any thoughts about the rebranding suggestions?
- My final suggestion is just "CAP" or "CAPs"... Thus, just calling them "Caps", or "Digital-Caps", or "Crypto-Caps", or "Cap-Coins"... as in, "Apex", or "Limit", or "Top". (Makes rebranding simple and easy. More like a refinement of the product. The wallet and site would not brand them as "digital-caps"... Just "CAP"... But they would be referred to as a "Digital Cap", or any of the above mentioned knick-names.)

Possibly too, some of the other suggestions, to make this next release a mile-stone release?
- Fixing the text for "what the fees actually go towards".
- Consideration for a flat-TXfee, since the penalty for unavoidable dust is irregular and makes no sense. (Similar to how POS is a fixed-percent. Since fees can be avoided entirely by inter-trading on the exchange anyways. Something like 0.01% to a minimum of 0.00000001, in order to be a valid TX. To limit super-micro dust-tx's, if it comes to that.)
- POS->POW(Idle) ability, for reducing low-diff mine-sell abuse. (And to reward those who save that mine POS, when diffs get low.)
- Every-other-block diff-adjust, instead of every-block adjustments. Limiting POS to the "other" blocks, when POS is available. (To alleviate network rejections where blocks just don't circulate fast enough, when POS waves happen.)
- Wallet-export and wallet-import, of only the critical "recreation" address info. (Not the individual tx's. For paper-wallet and safe-back-up.)

P.S. There is a lot to read... lol. (I just summed-up my crap into this one post.)

P.P.S. I am still buying all these under-priced CAPs, which are slowly rising in dollar-value, but not faster than I can buy them. Tongue (All those listing "sells" low are just handing me their investments. lol. The hardest part is buying them before the re-listing bot buys the lower ones. But he is still selling them to me at a bargain too! xD)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:36:51 PM

CAUTION: Fork?

Found my computers down and CAP wallet out of sync with only 3 connections this morning. Block-crawler down too... Reloading an old backup of the chain, since the existing chain isn't fixing itself, still... (Didn't realize that was still an issue.)

Hope it finds the right connections!

P.P.P.S. That needs to be fixed too... Chain correction. Whatever it tried to do, just caused my PC to shutdown and, again, I am having to download the whole chain or resort to my backup of a chain. (A backup I have to do manually, because the program doesn't auto-backup from the last hard-coded block.)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 01:49:18 PM

Back up and running with 8 connections. The one with 3 was running near-zero diff, and taller, but obviously the wrong height, by majority.

Block-crawler still not responding, so I assume it is on the same bad chain.

Block-height is  219226 and diff shows as 27.3K in the miners. (~0.41656494140625 diff)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:41:51 PM

That is too funny...

Video-cards (The 7970's), went from selling for $250-$300 NEW, back up to $400-$600 USED since all the alt-coins started rising again. (Good for us, because that keeps the cost of production up. Real good for Radeon, because this has got to be one of the only cards that goes back UP in price, every year... As opposed to going down by half each year. lol.)
DrGoose

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:14:32 AM

Mullick,

The alt-coin race is obviously on, and I think CAP is not visible enough on people's radar.

CAP need to be at least back on http://coinmarketcap.com

Is it something that is in your power to push for?

Thx.

ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:02:57 AM

At this rate, I might start building more miners. The ROI just dropped from 1 year to about 3 months!

Time to tell all your friends how easy it is to get into. Convince them to buy one or two or three 7970's or 7990's, which they can use for gaming later, or sell to other miners. (I have a feeling that someone is going to release a major scrypt overhaul soon. That code is not as optimized as it could be. This I say because there is one set of code which gives a gain of about 25%, over the one used in cgminer, but it is custom, at the moment for lite-coin. Also, there is a 7970 custom bios that "allegedly", used with a FPGA, produces almost 10x what the cards generic bios does. Might be why someone out there is able to just dump coins so cheap. It costs them a fraction of the energy to make them.)

By the way, "Power Color HD Radeon 7970 OC Edition" is the best card I have setup. It easily runs at 700Khs, without special cooling, if you have the power. However, I still run all of mine at a modest 550-650Khs, where they are most "efficient" with my power-supplies. (6 cards running at 600Khs is about 1200 Watts at the wall on 120v, including the CPU power. That would be about 980 Watts with 240v and a better PSU.)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:31:45 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 05:45:13 PM by ISAWHIM

Nice to see some heavy moves on CAPs today... Boggles my mind actually. Tongue

Bots got smarter. They are no-longer insta-listing small amounts. Guess they realized people actually want to buy larger volumes, all at once. Not play the 1/100th of a penny game. xD (Some are still insta-listing, but at wider spreads and half-volumes. Since they realize it is unavoidably going back up. Now if BTC falls, all these coins will sling-shot to the high positions they once were, a few months ago. Hope you are mining while the DIFF is still low! Future mine, ignore the price now... Think about what it will be in the next month, with those new coins out of the hands of insta-dumpers!)

P.S. Invest in Chinese Yuan (CNY), not USD... Double your returns, because USD is dropping fast. (We need Yuan to pay our debt, they are not accepting USD. Well, they are, but at 1/3rd the value of USD. Since this is now a major Chinese market. Obviously, they are creeping into all the ALT-Coins now too. All alts on the rise, and BTC = your USD value falling.)

P.P.S. Move your BTC positions up above $1300... Trust me, it will sell. Buy them back when it drops back down to $800 in a month, on a panic-sell. When the holidays hit, it will spike again. Cheesy

P.P.P.S. CAPs to 0.00009000... soon... Just saying... (That is ~1000 coins for ~$116... How many coins can you mine in a day? I still hit 2000-6000, depending on how-many miners I dedicate to CAPs, at this diff.)
ISAWHIM

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:23:02 AM

Ready for the next big BTC hike? Don't get scared if alts drop slightly... You have to keep tabs on the dollar-value of 1000 alts, compared to BTC, to see the value.

Caps went higher than I expected. Time for me to slow-down my buying. lol. My damn bots almost made me bankrupt!

And to think, a month ago I purchased 2 x-box 360 games for 0.5 BTC... Ouch. That guy made hundreds off of me! Was only $120 for 0.5 BTC a month ago. Now that is like $600, or $300 per game! (Shipping included, lol.)

The big question is... Should I keep buying coins or buy another mining rig. (It is getting cold outside, but buying coins is faster and easier. Tongue)

Still waiting for any more input about rebranding this coin. (The low-impact rebranding, not the full cross-dressing rebranding to a phantasmal cliché-coin.)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 08:46:24 AM

Why isn't CAP on coinmarketcap.com?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 219 »
  Print  

Jump to: