Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:10:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT - Easy persistent USB key based linux for dedicated miners/mining farms  (Read 167433 times)
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:05:07 AM

To all asking about wireless devices:  It's just not something I need, so it's not supported.  That isn't to say it won't work, but I don't have any wireless devices here so I won't be working on it. If you figure out how to do it, and there is something I can push out in a fix or add in future versions to make it work better, just let me know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jh1523

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:54:45 AM

Here's my solution to wireless: just attach the mining rig(s) to a cheapo wireless router running dd-wrt in repeater bridge mode. Especially advantageous if you run multiple rigs as you can connect them all to the same router.
lagios

Activity: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 09:49:18 AM

i try to boot from a Kingston USB on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 M/B but i only got the boot error.

Gigabyte won.

Angry

On the same machine i can boot Ubuntu Natty and Linuxcoin after i format the USB with the HP tool.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:45:10 PM

i try to boot from a Kingston USB on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 M/B but i only got the boot error.

Gigabyte won.

Angry

On the same machine i can boot Ubuntu Natty and Linuxcoin after i format the USB with the HP tool.

I will make BAMT work with any hardware you buy for me.  You can also donate BTC equal to the cost, let me know what hardware you want support for, and I will purchase the hardware myself and make it work for you.  There isn't much else I can do to help, since all my hardware works fine.
jh1523

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:59:35 PM

I can't make Diapolo's latest kernels (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25135.0) work with BAMT's mine script. The 8-4-11 and 8-11-11 kernels work if I start the phoenix miner manually after replacing the default kernel with the new ones, but if I use "/etc/init.d/mine start" the miners just don't do anything. Gpumon shows no activity and the pool doesn't receive any shares. No error messages either.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:17:17 AM

I can't make Diapolo's latest kernels (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25135.0) work with BAMT's mine script. The 8-4-11 and 8-11-11 kernels work if I start the phoenix miner manually after replacing the default kernel with the new ones, but if I use "/etc/init.d/mine start" the miners just don't do anything. Gpumon shows no activity and the pool doesn't receive any shares. No error messages either.

What happens if you attach to a device in gpumon?  You should be able to see something then.
mmartoccia

Activity: 47

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:17:39 AM

Gigabyte won.

Angry

I too have a Gigabyte and having the same problem and I love BAMT.  I had to replace my original MB (EVGA) to work in more GPU's and now having the same (seems rampant with Gigabytes and Booting from USB) issue.

I've tried numerous workarounds: Using the HP format tool and then Win32diskInstaller.  Starting over and using unetbootin with Debian set and the .IMG as the .ISO and still no go.  In my research I came across this pagehttp://derfian.hamsterkollektivet.se/?p=319 which states:

The problem is that the BIOS Gigabyte uses simply doesn’t like partitions on USB sticks. A simple guide:

• Erase any existing partitions on the stick with gparted (although your partitioner of choice would likely work as well)
  • Create vfat filesystem directly on USB stick
  • Set up a Live image. I used unetbootin, livecd-creator would likely work as well.

Maybe there is a way to make BAMT a single partition over that of 3?  This may solve the Gigabyte issue for us Gigabyte users.  BTW, love love BAMT!

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:25:43 AM

Maybe there is a way to make BAMT a single partition over that of 3?  This may solve the Gigabyte issue for us Gigabyte users.  BTW, love love BAMT!

Unfortunately, the current bamt system does require multiple partitions on the usb key.  It is probably possible to do a single partition based system, but it would mean rearranging quite a bit of the underpinnings we use.

Based on the relatively pathetic amount of donations, I really don't think I'll be putting time into BAMT going forward, certainly not enough to justify the time it would take to redesign to a single partition.  It is really discouraging to see the huge number of downloads and hits on the fix server (which I provide at my own expense), while not a single donation in over a week.

I think there is potential in BAMT to be a great system, but I'm just not into working for free.  If someone else wants to carry on with it, please do.  I release all work I've done under the GPL v3.0.
jh1523

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:33:10 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 03:58:12 AM by jh1523

What happens if you attach to a device in gpumon?  You should be able to see something then.

gpumon is acting weird for me even in normal situations. It doesn't display miners correctly even with the default kernel. Example:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9836/gpumon1.png
Looks like miner #0 is not working, right? Well that's not true, miner #0 is in fact working fine and pumping shares. If I attach to it I can see it working, but gpumon for some reason thinks it doesn't. That's with the default kernel.

However with Diapolo's new kernels what I get is: mine restart apparently works and doesn't generate any error message; in gpumon both my miners are red; if I attach to either there is a screen that briefly flashes then reverts to the main gpumon screen. If I keep 0 and respectively 1 pressed so I see what's on that screen (I get a continuous flickering between gpumon's main screen and the miner screen) I can distinguish that there's a succession of messages "There is no screen to be resumed matching gpu0." (for 0, and similar with gpu1 for 1). Again with the same new kernels if I start phoenix.py from the command line directly it works fine.

The--Captain

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 07:01:11 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 07:50:22 AM by The--Captain

What happens if you attach to a device in gpumon?  You should be able to see something then.

gpumon is acting weird for me even in normal situations. It doesn't display miners correctly even with the default kernel. Example:
[IMAGE REDACTED]
Looks like miner #0 is not working, right?

Edit: No, it looks like gpumon didn't pull *any* stats at all from that card.  Shouldn't be too hard to poke around in the gpumon scripts and figure out why.

Well that's not true, miner #0 is in fact working fine and pumping shares. If I attach to it I can see it working, but gpumon for some reason thinks it doesn't. That's with the default kernel.

However with Diapolo's new kernels what I get is: mine restart apparently works and doesn't generate any error message; in gpumon both my miners are red; if I attach to either there is a screen that briefly flashes then reverts to the main gpumon screen. If I keep 0 and respectively 1 pressed so I see what's on that screen (I get a continuous flickering between gpumon's main screen and the miner screen) I can distinguish that there's a succession of messages "There is no screen to be resumed matching gpu0." (for 0, and similar with gpu1 for 1). Again with the same new kernels if I start phoenix.py from the command line directly it works fine.

Uncomment out the line that prints the phoenix cmdline in wrapper.pl, restart mining, then attach using 'screen -d -r gpu0' to see the cmdline that is being used to start phoenix.  Compare that with the command line you have found that works.  You might be forgetting to specify a WORKSIZE, which that kernel seems to need.  Now donate to lodcrappo.

Edit:  As far as those who are complaining about their broken hardware not being able to boot BAMT - you should be yelling at your hardware vendor for a firmware update if not a refund. lodcrappo has nothing to do with it.  You can't expect everyone to supply workarounds for your broken equipment (unless maybe you're Cisco).  If you bought a car that couldn't drive uphill, would you complain to the government for building roads that aren't completely flat, or would you return the car to the dealership?
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:31:46 AM

Maybe there is a way to make BAMT a single partition over that of 3?  This may solve the Gigabyte issue for us Gigabyte users.  BTW, love love BAMT!

Unfortunately, the current bamt system does require multiple partitions on the usb key.  It is probably possible to do a single partition based system, but it would mean rearranging quite a bit of the underpinnings we use.

Based on the relatively pathetic amount of donations, I really don't think I'll be putting time into BAMT going forward, certainly not enough to justify the time it would take to redesign to a single partition.  It is really discouraging to see the huge number of downloads and hits on the fix server (which I provide at my own expense), while not a single donation in over a week.

I think there is potential in BAMT to be a great system, but I'm just not into working for free.  If someone else wants to carry on with it, please do.  I release all work I've done under the GPL v3.0.

+1 Cheesy
jh1523

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:05:08 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 11:18:39 AM by jh1523

Uncomment out the line that prints the phoenix cmdline in wrapper.pl, restart mining, then attach using 'screen -d -r gpu0' to see the cmdline that is being used to start phoenix.  Compare that with the command line you have found that works.  You might be forgetting to specify a WORKSIZE, which that kernel seems to need.  Now donate to lodcrappo.

I am specifying a WORKSIZE. And I have donated to lodcrappo the day after I started using BAMT, over 2 weeks ago.
After uncommenting the CMD printing and restarting mining, 'screen -d -r gpu0' returns 'There is no screen to be detached matching gpu0.' Similar for gpu1.
(if I use the same steps with the older kernel, I do get the command line printed before the normal miner output - but with the new kernel it looks it doesn't even get there).
zx9r

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:14:17 AM

I have installed a new version of phatk kernel and I got a little improvement, from 389 to 394 Mhash per each 5850

May be a patch upgrade would be fine for this
bitminers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:58:40 PM

I have installed a new version of phatk kernel and I got a little improvement, from 389 to 394 Mhash per each 5850

May be a patch upgrade would be fine for this

Thats cool! how did you do that can you list here the steps? That would be really great!
mmartoccia

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:45:36 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 03:31:10 PM by mmartoccia

I think there is potential in BAMT to be a great system, but I'm just not into working for free.  If someone else wants to carry on with it, please do.  I release all work I've done under the GPL v3.0.

+1 Cheesy

I've got Linuxcoin running and I'm verifying the multiple partition issue with Gigabyte by implementing persistance.  If persistence works its not the partitions but more how the image is created ala unetbootin.  I'll report back.

EDIT: Multiple Partitions are in fact working.  The difference here is using the .IMG compared to unetbootin.   How difficult would it be to make BAMT work with unetbootin?  Can BAMT be made into an ISO?

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:11:19 PM

I have 2 Gagabyte boards (which I'm planning on setting on fire this weekend) that boot BAMT and Linuxcoin.  I used dd command in linux. If you have a linux box run:

Code:
dd if=<BAMT>.img of=/dev/sd[x]

Or I'm sure you can use qemu to convert to ISO, not sure of the syntax though.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:33:19 PM

I have 2 Gagabyte boards (which I'm planning on setting on fire this weekend) that boot BAMT and Linuxcoin.  I used dd command in linux. If you have a linux box run:

Code:

Apparently the problem is not in all Gygabyte boards but only in a few models. I can confirm the Gigabyte 990fx UD5 is affected.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
mmartoccia

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 04:48:51 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 05:27:51 PM by mmartoccia

I have 2 Gagabyte boards (which I'm planning on setting on fire this weekend) that boot BAMT and Linuxcoin.  I used dd command in linux. If you have a linux box run:

Code:

Did BAMT work right out the box for you?  What MB's are you using and would you mind sharing the BIOS versions?  Maybe this could all go away with a BIOS downgrade.

EDIT I can do a similar action in terminal on OS X
Code:
dd if=bamt_v0.4b.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=8192

My question is, where does bamt_v0.4b.img need to reside to be seen? Sorry, Dee de dee.

I have 2 Gagabyte boards (which I'm planning on setting on fire this weekend) that boot BAMT and Linuxcoin.  I used dd command in linux. If you have a linux box run:

Code:

Apparently the problem is not in all Gygabyte boards but only in a few models. I can confirm the Gigabyte 990fx UD5 is affected.

I'm using the exact same MB.   Smiley
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:26:46 PM

Did BAMT work right out the box for you?  What MB's are you using and would you mind sharing the BIOS versions?  Maybe this could all go away with a BIOS downgrade.

Sorry, I've switched MB's recently...those are being shipped to my brothers. I'll try to get specs for you once they get there.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
mmartoccia

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:42:54 PM

Rebuilding the USB via Terminal on OS X:

Code:
dd if=bamt_v0.4b.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=8192

Same result as doing it with Win32 Disk Imager:

Code:
Loading Operating System......
Boot Error

Need to determine what the boot differences are between Linuxcoin and that of BAMT.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: