Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT - Easy persistent USB key based linux for dedicated miners/mining farms  (Read 167431 times)
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:39:41 PM

It should try to go back to the original after however many shares you set for it.

Link your pools configuration file for the miners (I assume it's the same or very similar).  Just blank out any usernames/passwords you need to.

Ahhh. Is there an example of this somewhere? My current pools files looks like this:

http://x:x@arsbitcoin.com:8344
http://x:x@mining.eligius.st:8337
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mikeo

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:45:32 PM

A proper pools file example in the wiki for multiple mining rigs would also be helpful. I currently have a separate poolsX file for every GPU. This works but there must be a simpler method.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:12:20 PM

It should try to go back to the original after however many shares you set for it.

Link your pools configuration file for the miners (I assume it's the same or very similar).  Just blank out any usernames/passwords you need to.

Ahhh. Is there an example of this somewhere? My current pools files looks like this:

http://x:x@arsbitcoin.com:8344
http://x:x@mining.eligius.st:8337

Check for a blank line after second pool.  I use nano to edit the file and every time I open a pool file it will insert a blank line - even if I don't change anything (open the file, hit down arrow 3 times and see where you land).  You can test failover manually by hitting ctrl C in the miner screen to see if it will loop back.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Disposition

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

I'm having a weird issue where the gpu0 is not showing up in gpumon, but if you press 0 to attach to the screen it's running and submitting shares just fine. I didn't even bother to change anything for customization yet so the phoenix args is all default from the conf.

any thoughts on this?
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:40:02 PM

Check for a blank line after second pool.  I use nano to edit the file and every time I open a pool file it will insert a blank line - even if I don't change anything (open the file, hit down arrow 3 times and see where you land).  You can test failover manually by hitting ctrl C in the miner screen to see if it will loop back.

Thanks for the tip. I too use nano, but didn't think it would create a new line when you just opened the file.  Huh

Maybe BAMT should ignore empty lines in the pool file?
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:40:02 PM

A proper pools file example in the wiki for multiple mining rigs would also be helpful. I currently have a separate poolsX file for every GPU. This works but there must be a simpler method.

One simpler method is to just have one pools file and use it for all your GPUs.  You only need separate files if you actually want each GPU going to a different pool.
gnar1ta$
Donator

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:47:13 PM

@gigasvps

Sorry I didn't read your original question right, I think this might be what your looking for - to check original pool status periodically after a failover:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28967.msg399636;topicseen#msg399636

Though I have a feeling the new proxy will take care of this much more efficiently  Smiley

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:51:49 PM

@gigasvps

Sorry I didn't read your original question right, I think this might be what your looking for - to check original pool status periodically after a failover:

Though I have a feeling the new proxy will take care of this much more efficiently  Smiley

yes, this is now in mainline so anyone with 0.4b or who's been applying fixes as they come out will have it.
this is the only way to fall back to your main pool at the moment, its basic but it works.
better stuff is in the works.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:30:24 PM

Thanks for the tip. I too use nano, but didn't think it would create a new line when you just opened the file.  Huh

Maybe BAMT should ignore empty lines in the pool file?

I've not seen nano create new lines in a file, and i edit pool files quite a bit.

The entire pools file thing was just a quick hack that I never had time to do right.  It will go away someday.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:34:54 PM

@gigasvps

Ahhh, perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. BAMT FTW!
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:51:01 PM

I'm having a weird issue where the gpu0 is not showing up in gpumon, but if you press 0 to attach to the screen it's running and submitting shares just fine. I didn't even bother to change anything for customization yet so the phoenix args is all default from the conf.

any thoughts on this?

It can happen for a few reasons, usually no big deal...  just restart miner (press  shift-R in gpumon) will fix most times.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:40:26 PM

In my rig, Xorg keeps crashing ( cause 100% CPU usage). Coldreboot does not work sometimes, and if it does, only one of 2 5850s is recognized after a reboot. I had to manualy switch PSU off for abit then turn the system back on.

What might cause such problem? I know its not the GPU or overclocking.

The rig can mine for couple hrs or so b4 Xorg crashed.

"I know its not the GPU or overclocking. "

I could say I know it's not BAMT.  I have miners running BAMT with 35 days uptime, and have gotten reports of similar stability from plenty of others.  What is your reason for thinking it isn't your hardware?  I think the most direct approach will be to look at the most likely cause, which given the history of basically every similar issue thats come up in this thread, would be precisely your GPU or overclocking. 

Step 1.  Remove all overclocking.  Does it stop locking up?  We need to know this before proceeding.

I'm sorry for not being clearer. The rig was my desktop pc, i used ubuntu to mine while i didnt use the desktop and it never crashed. I didnt bother overclocking much due to noise at my desk. Recently i bought a laptop and decided to have this rig as mining dedicated rig. I moved it to the basement and tried Bamt. When the first time it crashed i already removed all overclocking.

I suspect its the mobo.... but when i booted ubuntu it ran fine again. So i have no clue. I notice its the Xorg that crashed so i tried another USB with fresh BAMT , still same result.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:41:54 PM

In my rig, Xorg keeps crashing ( cause 100% CPU usage). Coldreboot does not work sometimes, and if it does, only one of 2 5850s is recognized after a reboot. I had to manualy switch PSU off for abit then turn the system back on.

This sounds familiar...what MB are you using?

So you had the same issue? how did you fix it?

I'm using Asus AMD board, not sure of the model, will have to check.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
gnar1ta$
Donator

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:48:13 PM

My fix was to take the extenders off and buy a new MB. My GD70 will not work with extenders so I replaced it with a GD65.  I have seen xorg crashes and phoenix crashes on the GD65 which I have narrowed down to the extenders (1x on 65 and 16x on 70).  If no hardware changes are made and it works with Ubuntu but not BAMT, you may want to try running Ubuntu from a USB and see if the same crash occurs.  It's most always hardware related, you just have to figure out which hardware - or buy new hardware. I did remove the xserver-xorg-video-radeon package on the 65 and haven't seen xorg crash, but that was with new extenders also so I can't be sure it had any effect.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:22:23 PM

It's pretty clear that some hardware works with bamt, some doesn't, and bad hardware and over zealous overclocking have made it really hard to tell which is which.  We also just don't have enough info in lots of cases. 

The motherboards reported working on the HCL in the wiki are safe bets, and if you can let me know the exact model you have I'll list it there as questionable so maybe others can avoid it.  All we can really do at this point is gather information, there just isn't enough to make any good conclusions.
kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 08:52:41 PM

It's pretty clear that some hardware works with bamt, some doesn't, and bad hardware and over zealous overclocking have made it really hard to tell which is which.  We also just don't have enough info in lots of cases. 

The motherboards reported working on the HCL in the wiki are safe bets, and if you can let me know the exact model you have I'll list it there as questionable so maybe others can avoid it.  All we can really do at this point is gather information, there just isn't enough to make any good conclusions.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128485 Gigabyte board, with bamt, I have five of them. Running mostly (reference and non-reference, HIS ref, HIS iceqx turbo non-ref, and asus directCU non-ref)) 6870's, with one 5830 (XFX, reference) and one 5870 (Asus, non-ref Sad)all working fine. the 5870 and one 6870 are running via X1 pci extenders with molex from calbesaurus. No jumping or anything needed.

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
Disposition

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:17:32 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2011, 01:01:07 AM by Disposition

weird, tried on another person's gd70 board and getting a kernel panic error that's so weird even though that's on the "tested" hardware list.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:08:50 AM

Anyone running 8 GPUs with bamt? I have 4 5970s i am trying to setup on a single machine, here's the setup:

2 - thermaltake 850w single rail PSUs
1 - ASRock Extreme4 MB -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262
3 - 16x extenders, no extra molex
1 - 1x extender, no extra molex
4 - OEM 5970 that just came in from newegg.com

So, when i had 8 GPUs installed, BAMT died when it tried to display the GUI. So it made it through the BAMT startup screen and the initial startup.

I removed the GPU on the 1x extender and all is well. Is this a problem of me needing a MB with 4 16x PCIe slot or is it a problem with BAMT?
mikeo

Activity: 196

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

One simpler method is to just have one pools file and use it for all your GPUs.  You only need separate files if you actually want each GPU going to a different pool.

@lodcrappo
Feeling rather dense tonight. So if I create one pool file for 9 miners on Deepbit the three separate machines hosting the 9 GPUs will read the file (on each machine, haven't done a single config file yet) and they will all 9 find a miner account on Deepbit? I must be missing something.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:21:46 AM

@lodcrappo
Feeling rather dense tonight. So if I create one pool file for 9 miners on Deepbit the three separate machines hosting the 9 GPUs will read the file (on each machine, haven't done a single config file yet) and they will all 9 find a miner account on Deepbit? I must be missing something.

you need one pools file per machine, though the managed config option can help you get a single central file onto all the machines.  for instance I have one pools file running 12 machines with total of 30 GPUs.  it is stored on a server, and all the rigs pull the file using rsync.  this is through the managed_config_command in bamt.conf. 

a simpler compromise would be to just copy the same pools file onto all your machines, if you don't change pools a lot that will work fine.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: