Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:10:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT - Easy persistent USB key based linux for dedicated miners/mining farms  (Read 167433 times)
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 09:48:30 PM

For those using bamt on 50+ gpu farm, One of the hurdle is using a quality router or using a proxy for distributing work. Because some pool require as much as 12 active connections per gpu, and most cheap router start to choke past 500 connections,  add to this a bittorrent client and web browsing and this figure can easily double.

Aaron had a Proxy in the making but did not release it.

I am using a well supported Hopping proxy and # of connections is ~80% less.

What proxy is this? Also, do you just run the proxy on one of the rigs and point the others to it?

yes, the idea was that you run the proxy on one machine and the other nodes just pull work from it.   ideally the nodes would just find the proxy via broadcast and so could be zero configuration.

i used the proxy myself for about a month, but it has some issues that i never sorted out.  it is written in python and is very high performance, 100s of Ghash should be no problem for it.  if someone who knows python wants to take it over, i will give them what i have, but it is not suitable for public consumption at this time and i do not have the time to make it so.

you could also explore using one of the other proxies out there.. when i started the project all the proxies i could find pretty much sucked massively, but that may have changed by now.

Would you be willing to put the code for the proxy up on your github account?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 10:35:05 PM

For those using bamt on 50+ gpu farm, One of the hurdle is using a quality router or using a proxy for distributing work. Because some pool require as much as 12 active connections per gpu, and most cheap router start to choke past 500 connections,  add to this a bittorrent client and web browsing and this figure can easily double.

Aaron had a Proxy in the making but did not release it.

I am using a well supported Hopping proxy and # of connections is ~80% less.

What proxy is this? Also, do you just run the proxy on one of the rigs and point the others to it?

yes, the idea was that you run the proxy on one machine and the other nodes just pull work from it.   ideally the nodes would just find the proxy via broadcast and so could be zero configuration.

i used the proxy myself for about a month, but it has some issues that i never sorted out.  it is written in python and is very high performance, 100s of Ghash should be no problem for it.  if someone who knows python wants to take it over, i will give them what i have, but it is not suitable for public consumption at this time and i do not have the time to make it so.

you could also explore using one of the other proxies out there.. when i started the project all the proxies i could find pretty much sucked massively, but that may have changed by now.

Would you be willing to put the code for the proxy up on your github account?

not in it's current form.  if someone wants to clean it up and maintain it, let me know.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 07:11:03 PM

My linuxcoin's xorg got messed up somehow when the system rebooted, so I'm switching over to BAMT for my dedicated miner.  I'll let you know what I think.  So far it looks really useful.

mikeo

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 07:17:47 PM

My linuxcoin's xorg got messed up somehow when the system rebooted, so I'm switching over to BAMT for my dedicated miner.  I'll let you know what I think.  So far it looks really useful.
I found BAMT far more stable than Linuxcoin for my two miners, of course YMMV.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2011, 09:58:00 PM

I found BAMT far more stable than Linuxcoin for my two miners, of course YMMV.

Now that my clocks are set per GPU, i rarely have any stability issues with the OS. mgpumon is awesome and I can even monitor my GPUs when they are doing other tasks. BAMT rules.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 12:17:14 AM

I am in need of some modifications to BAMT. Basically i need an new init script named something like "setfans" that will use the bamt config to only set the gpu fans on a rig. I also need this to come as a .tar fix that i can explode onto an existing BAMT install. It would be great if I could donate this to the project for others to use.

I need this because I have rigs doing other tasks besides mining (yes, I know) but I still need to be able to set the fans for the gpus.

I am willing to pay in BTC, dwolla or whatever and need this rather quickly, if at all possible.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 12:47:56 AM

I am in need of some modifications to BAMT. Basically i need an new init script named something like "setfans" that will use the bamt config to only set the gpu fans on a rig. I also need this to come as a .tar fix that i can explode onto an existing BAMT install. It would be great if I could donate this to the project for others to use.

I need this because I have rigs doing other tasks besides mining (yes, I know) but I still need to be able to set the fans for the gpus.

I am willing to pay in BTC, dwolla or whatever and need this rather quickly, if at all possible.

is there some reason you cannot just remove the items you don't want from the config?  leave the fan setting, remove the rest?
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:01:38 AM

is there some reason you cannot just remove the items you don't want from the config?  leave the fan setting, remove the rest?

The GPUs are being used by a different software and I do not want mining to start at all.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:09:49 AM

The GPUs are being used by a different software and I do not want mining to start at all.

mv /opt/miners/phoenix/wrapper.pl /opt/miners/phoenix/wrapper.no

now it won't start mining.  there are lots of other ways too, thats from memory as i don't have a bamt rig anymore, but basically just do anything that makes the phoenix part fail.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:19:06 AM

now it won't start mining.  there are lots of other ways too, thats from memory as i don't have a bamt rig anymore, but basically just do anything that makes the phoenix part fail.

I am sure I could hack at this and make it work, but I have 20 rigs and it would be nice to just run the installer. Again, I am willing to pay for your time to help me with this. I was under the assumption that you wanted to get paid for the work you did. I am offering that.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:24:28 AM

I am sure I could hack at this and make it work, but I have 20 rigs and it would be nice to just run the installer. Again, I am willing to pay for your time to help me with this. I was under the assumption that you wanted to get paid for the work you did. I am offering that.

i appreciate the thought.  i was trying to give you a quick and easy free solution, but if you really want something more sure i can add a "dont run phoenix" option to bamt.conf, would that work? 

i don't even have a test rig set up anymore, but i can probably hack it into the perl easy enough, it isn't much of a change.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:39:05 AM

i appreciate the thought.  i was trying to give you a quick and easy free solution, but if you really want something more sure i can add a "dont run phoenix" option to bamt.conf, would that work? 

i don't even have a test rig set up anymore, but i can probably hack it into the perl easy enough, it isn't much of a change.

So here's the skinny - 5 days a week the rigs are doing other tasks with the GPUs. 2 days a week they are mining. I have used update-rc.d to make sure /etc/init.d/mine does not start at startup. I need something like /etc/init.d/setgpufans that i can setup to run on startup to just set the fan speed based on the bamt config.

I have 5970s running the in low 90s right now and this cannot go on for long. I appreciate your help.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 02:06:52 AM

So here's the skinny - 5 days a week the rigs are doing other tasks with the GPUs. 2 days a week they are mining. I have used update-rc.d to make sure /etc/init.d/mine does not start at startup. I need something like /etc/init.d/setgpufans that i can setup to run on startup to just set the fan speed based on the bamt config.

I have 5970s running the in low 90s right now and this cannot go on for long. I appreciate your help.

ok.. well it depends on how much you want the value to come from the bamt.conf.. to set the fan speed its just one command that can be included in any startup script:

atitweak -f XX

where XX is 0-100 percent... it will set all gpus to that or you can do them individually by specifying -A X where X is the gpu #.

if you just want all your fans at 100% or some other common value, i'd really just add an atitweak command to your startup.  If you truly want a tool to pull it from the bamt.conf, its a lot more work but i should have some time this weekend.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 04:20:56 AM

I have a rig that ended up like this on mgpumon, the machine is hung and unresponsive,

0: 40.5c     0%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 75% (3736+ rpm)
1: 43c      99%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 60% (2933+ rpm)
2: 41c       0%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 70% (3560 rpm)

I have no way to know if it's a specific gpu that caused the trouble.

Is that symptom indicative of a problem you already had ?
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 04:38:11 AM

I have a rig that ended up like this on mgpumon, the machine is hung and unresponsive,

0: 40.5c     0%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 75% (3736+ rpm)
1: 43c      99%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 60% (2933+ rpm)
2: 41c       0%      Mhs  0/0               Fan: 70% (3560 rpm)

I have no way to know if it's a specific gpu that caused the trouble.

Is that symptom indicative of a problem you already had ?

yeah, #1 is suspicious (99% load reported by the card, yet it's not doing anything)
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 04:48:30 PM

ok.. well it depends on how much you want the value to come from the bamt.conf.. to set the fan speed its just one command that can be included in any startup script:

atitweak -f XX

where XX is 0-100 percent... it will set all gpus to that or you can do them individually by specifying -A X where X is the gpu #.

if you just want all your fans at 100% or some other common value, i'd really just add an atitweak command to your startup.  If you truly want a tool to pull it from the bamt.conf, its a lot more work but i should have some time this weekend.

After 4 hours of back and forth with my new buddy mega_p2k, we have a start up script that just sets the fans. You can download the package here:

http://p2k-network.org/~p2k/atitweak.tar.gz

and see the init script here:

https://gist.github.com/1370598

If you like and use the script, please donate to Patrick as he did an amazing job.

Donation address: 166rK7eEVgnGvs9aA7jvu8NoPv8KzbPQ3L
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:02:31 PM

atitweak -f XX

After 4 hours of back and forth with my new buddy mega_p2k, we have a start up script that just sets the fans. You can download the package here:

If you like and use the script, please donate to Patrick as he did an amazing job.

glad you have something that will work for you.  unless i've missed it, this doesn't actually pull a fan value from bamt.conf and is really a stand alone type of thing with it's own configuration file in /etc/default/atitweak.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:11:44 PM

atitweak -f XX

glad you have something that will work for you.  unless i've missed it, this doesn't actually pull a fan value from bamt.conf and is really a stand alone type of thing with it's own configuration file in /etc/default/atitweak.

You are correct. I went for the quick and dirty.  Grin
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:14:09 PM

atitweak -f XX

if you just want all your fans at 100% or some other common value, i'd really just add an atitweak command to your startup.  If you truly want a tool to pull it from the bamt.conf, its a lot more work but i should have some time this weekend.

glad you have something that will work for you.  unless i've missed it, this doesn't actually pull a fan value from bamt.conf and is really a stand alone type of thing with it's own configuration file in /etc/default/atitweak.

You are correct. I went for the quick and dirty.  Grin

echo "atitweak -f 85" >> /etc/rc.local

there's quick and dirty Smiley  but what i meant is that you could use that fan script on any machine, its not limited to bamt rigs at all.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:20:34 PM

echo "atitweak -f 85" >> /etc/rc.local

there's quick and dirty Smiley  but what i meant is that you could use that fan script on any machine, its not limited to bamt rigs at all.

you are correct. although with atitweak, if i just did the command you typed above, it would only effect the first 5970 on the rig and not the other 2. Weird.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: