Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:20:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 508 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread [Self-Moderated]  (Read 771073 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
coinminers

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 06:43:54 AM

Hi, I was also wondering if I could transfer my ActiveMining shares to Havelock. So I guess I vote +1 on that Smiley

http://bit.co.in - Shorten your address and make/receive payments on the go! Decentralized!!

http://www.coinjabber.com - Submit, review, discuss, and promote Bitcoin & virtual currency websites!
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:44:56 AM

Hi, I was also wondering if I could transfer my AM shares to Havelock. So I guess I vote +1 on that Smiley

This is the ActM thread.
coinminers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 06:47:33 AM

Hi, I was also wondering if I could transfer my AM shares to Havelock. So I guess I vote +1 on that Smiley

This is the ActM thread.

Yes, sorry that's what I meant by AM. Will correct it in my comment if it's important.

http://bit.co.in - Shorten your address and make/receive payments on the go! Decentralized!!

http://www.coinjabber.com - Submit, review, discuss, and promote Bitcoin & virtual currency websites!
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:01:34 AM

Yes, sorry that's what I meant by AM. Will correct it in my comment if it's important.

I actually thought you meant ASICMINER. Sorry for being pedantic I know some ASICMINER shareholders are moving to Havelock.
Sou

Activity: 210

(Bitcoin related text here)

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:02:07 AM

I was under the impression that Havelock carried some rather large fee's to begin trading on that platform.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:02:49 AM

I am hoping an exchange pops up soon taking advantage of the new crowdfunding laws being passed in the USA. I believe within 6 months a fully legal, unaccredited investor based stock site for bitcoin will emerge in the USA and this exchange will finally put an end to the cowboy exchanges Bitfunder and Havelock.

Its only a matter of time.

First one to legal wins this race. Its a shame Bitfunder isn't even going to try. (Are they even aware of the new laws on the horizon?)
Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:05:26 AM

I am hoping an exchange pops up soon taking advantage of the new crowdfunding laws being passed in the USA. I believe within 6 months a fully legal, unaccredited investor based stock site for bitcoin will emerge in the USA and this exchange will finally put an end to the cowboy exchanges Bitfunder and Havelock.

Its only a matter of time.

First one to legal wins this race. Its a shame Bitfunder isn't even going to try. (Are they even aware of the new laws on the horizon?)

I'm sure Ukyo is quite aware.
coinminers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 07:40:13 AM

I actually thought you meant ASICMINER. Sorry for being pedantic I know some ASICMINER shareholders are moving to Havelock.

Yes, I'm also trying to get those moved over. I think TAT has indicated that they're doing it, but no word yet from Ukyo about G.Asicminer-Pt as far as I know =(

Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:42:05 AM

Yes, I'm also trying to get those moved over. I think TAT has indicated that they're doing it, but no word yet from Ukyo about G.Asicminer-Pt as far as I know =(

Even if people move to havelock what happens when this all happens again?
coinminers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 08:08:39 AM

Even if people move to havelock what happens when this all happens again?

Then we'll find another solution. =)

girlfawkesy

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

I have an idea but I"m not sure if its a good one. I woke up with it. Sometimes those are bad. I've been reading a lot of suggestions on various sites and this is sort of my amalgam of a lot of other people's ideas.

Why not have ken create an altcoin "Activeminingcoin" that he sets the parameters for. 25 million coins generated on the genesis block (like the initial shares).

Then, after that, only transaction fees per block (which are set to be very low). The coin can be a simple sha256 and set so that blocktimes are every 2 minutes or so. It wouldn't matter if people mined it as long as someone did (probably ken).

Everyone with ActM stock tenders the stock to ken. They download the client, and set up a wallet. Ken transfers coins to those people based on how much stock they've tendered 1:1

Then, ken sets up a website where people can register their addresses. You make a signed message with both your BTC address and also your ActM coin address. This proves you own both.

When it comes to dividends a simple scrypt can be run to check the balance of any ActM coin address and send the corresponding amount to the registered BTC address.

Want to sell your stock? No problem. I would wager money Big Vern would put it on cryptsy as this is a "coin" and not a stock and exchange operators would gradually accrue these coins through fees. If I ran cryptsy I'd put every shitcoin on there that had sufficient volume to make it worth the bandwidth cost. Why not add stock coins?  This allows liquidity in the stock and people to sell and buy shares as they see fit. If a major exchange goes down, who cares, you withdraw your coins and can trade directly on bitcointalk or reddit or any other means.

Thoughts?
Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:29:21 PM

I have an idea but I"m not sure if its a good one. I woke up with it. Sometimes those are bad. I've been reading a lot of suggestions on various sites and this is sort of my amalgam of a lot of other people's ideas.

Why not have ken create an altcoin "Activeminingcoin" that he sets the parameters for. 25 million coins generated on the genesis block (like the initial shares).

Then, after that, only transaction fees per block (which are set to be very low). The coin can be a simple sha256 and set so that blocktimes are every 2 minutes or so. It wouldn't matter if people mined it as long as someone did (probably ken).

Everyone with ActM stock tenders the stock to ken. They download the client, and set up a wallet. Ken transfers coins to those people based on how much stock they've tendered 1:1

Then, ken sets up a website where people can register their addresses. You make a signed message with both your BTC address and also your ActM coin address. This proves you own both.

When it comes to dividends a simple scrypt can be run to check the balance of any ActM coin address and send the corresponding amount to the registered BTC address.

Want to sell your stock? No problem. I would wager money Big Vern would put it on cryptsy as this is a "coin" and not a stock and exchange operators would gradually accrue these coins through fees. If I ran cryptsy I'd put every shitcoin on there that had sufficient volume to make it worth the bandwidth cost. Why not add stock coins?  This allows liquidity in the stock and people to sell and buy shares as they see fit. If a major exchange goes down, who cares, you withdraw your coins and can trade directly on bitcointalk or reddit or any other means.

Thoughts?

This has been brought up, and is one of the many options being considered. There are a few problems with the idea though.
Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:31:12 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 12:47:56 PM by Sou

@girlfawkesy

First problem: how do you avoid a 51% attack?

I think this is where something like colored coins shows it's value - using the strength of the already well established Bitcoin network.

Edit: It might be possible to avoid Blockchain manipulation be keeping the difficulty low, and some how privately mine it in house. But, that's not quite decentralized, is it.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:36:52 PM

AFAICS, this is basically the same idea as colored coins. But disguising a company share as a coin isnt going to solve the problem. Sure it would make the exchange distributed and difficult to close down, in that sense its a good idea, but the coin will still have all the properties of a security, therefore be considered a security and therefore, the legal liabilities for the issuer remain the same. It might fool some folks at the security commissions for a while, but eventually they will understand it too (and perhaps before most posters on this forum)
kleeck

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

https://karatcoin.co

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:37:12 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 12:52:02 PM by kleeck

Want to sell your stock? No problem. I would wager money Big Vern would put it on cryptsy as this is a "coin" and not a stock and exchange operators would gradually accrue these coins through fees. If I ran cryptsy I'd put every shitcoin on there that had sufficient volume to make it worth the bandwidth cost. Why not add stock coins?  This allows liquidity in the stock and people to sell and buy shares as they see fit. If a major exchange goes down, who cares, you withdraw your coins and can trade directly on bitcointalk or reddit or any other means.

Thoughts?

I love it.

What about creating an exchange that uses this method? In order to list you have to either IPO with the exchange, creating your new altcoin or convert your current public offering into the appropriate altcoin. Would this completely mitigate the SEC's ability to intervene? Companies would be offering cryptocoins, not shares, but those coins would be tied to company profits as well...

Also, what are the technical details of this scenario? This sounds like it would take a highly modified protocol to accomplish. It would be ideal to have a template protocol in place for each security that would want to convert to this method. Interesting thoughts, fawkesy.

Edit:

@girlfawkesy

First problem: how do you avoid a 51% attack?

I think this is where something like colored coins shows it's value - using the strength of the already well established Bitcoin network.

I don't think this coin would be able be mined. I'm not sure how exactly that works out, but it obviously couldn't allow users to effectively mine shares.

I'm told that what we're describing is colored coins. I need to look into that concept more.

Edit 2:

Yup. Colored Coins is our solution: http://vimeo.com/71507400

█ █████       ▄████▀▄██▀
  █ █████     ▄████▀███▀
  █ █████    ████▀███▀
  █ █████  ▄███▀███▓
  █ █████▄███▀████▀
  █ ███████▀████▀
  █ █████▀▄█████▄
  █ ███▀▄█████████▄
  █ █▀▄██ ▀█████████▄
  █ ▄████   ▀███████▀█▄   
  █ █████     ▀███▀▄████▄
  █ █████       ▀▄████████▄

█████                   
                ▄███  █  ███▄               
             ███      █      ███             
         ▄███         █         ███▄         
       ██    ███████████████████    ██       
    ████            ██ ██            ████   
    ██             █     █             ██   
    █ █           █       █           █ █   
    █ ██         █         █         ██ █   
    █  ██      ██           ██      ██  █   
    █   ██    ██             ██    ██   █   
    █    ██  ██               ██  ██    █   
    █     █ ██                 ██ █     █   
    █     █████████████████████████     █   
    █  ███  ██                 ██  ███  █   
    ███       █               █       ███   
      ███      ██           ██      ███     
         ███     █         █     ███         
            ▀███  ██     ██  ███▀           
                ▀████   ████▀               
▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:45:34 PM

On another note, does anyone know the earliest we are meant to be getting the prototype miners up and running? I can't wait for some meaty dividends.
Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:52:50 PM

@Kleeck

Colored Coin are the way to go, but they just aren't ready for showtime yet. I imagine there will be a bigger push with all these shut downs happening. I believe there is a currant bounty of BTC200 for the team that gets it ready for implementation.
kleeck

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

https://karatcoin.co

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

On another note, does anyone know the earliest we are meant to be getting the prototype miners up and running? I can't wait for some meaty dividends.

Quote from: kslaughter
We are allowed to confirm that the BTC were converted some time ago and the
board designs are in progress.

This was from Aug. 28th. Let's say "some time ago" means ~two weeks. That puts chip production start @ somewhere between Aug. 7th and 14th - eASIC has an 8-10 week process from RTL to tapeout (http://www.easic.com/high-speed-transceivers-low-cost-power-fpga-nre-asic-45nm-easic-nextreme-2/easic-nextreme-2-overview/) which puts us, by these estimations, at around week 8 today. If tapeout hasn't happened yet, it ought to be soon.

I don't have any reasonable way to estimate progress on the board design/fabrication. The boards aren't under NRE so Ken could speak up on that front. What do you say, Ken? Care to give us some information on board progress?

█ █████       ▄████▀▄██▀
  █ █████     ▄████▀███▀
  █ █████    ████▀███▀
  █ █████  ▄███▀███▓
  █ █████▄███▀████▀
  █ ███████▀████▀
  █ █████▀▄█████▄
  █ ███▀▄█████████▄
  █ █▀▄██ ▀█████████▄
  █ ▄████   ▀███████▀█▄   
  █ █████     ▀███▀▄████▄
  █ █████       ▀▄████████▄

█████                   
                ▄███  █  ███▄               
             ███      █      ███             
         ▄███         █         ███▄         
       ██    ███████████████████    ██       
    ████            ██ ██            ████   
    ██             █     █             ██   
    █ █           █       █           █ █   
    █ ██         █         █         ██ █   
    █  ██      ██           ██      ██  █   
    █   ██    ██             ██    ██   █   
    █    ██  ██               ██  ██    █   
    █     █ ██                 ██ █     █   
    █     █████████████████████████     █   
    █  ███  ██                 ██  ███  █   
    ███       █               █       ███   
      ███      ██           ██      ███     
         ███     █         █     ███         
            ▀███  ██     ██  ███▀           
                ▀████   ████▀               
▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Sou

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:13:29 PM

Another alternative is Ripple. Word is there are already securities being traded and paying div's on there.
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:28:22 PM

what about this?

someone already created ActiveMining_Test. It's still Beta and runs testnet, but looks promising.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 508 »
  Print  

Jump to: