Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:52:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5254 5255 5256 5257 5258 5259 5260 5261 5262 5263 5264 5265 5266 5267 5268 5269 5270 5271 5272 5273 5274 5275 5276 5277 5278 5279 5280 5281 5282 5283 5284 5285 5286 5287 5288 5289 5290 5291 5292 5293 5294 5295 5296 5297 5298 5299 5300 5301 5302 5303 [5304] 5305 5306 5307 5308 5309 5310 5311 5312 5313 5314 5315 5316 5317 5318 5319 5320 5321 5322 5323 5324 5325 5326 5327 5328 5329 5330 5331 5332 5333 5334 5335 5336 5337 5338 5339 5340 5341 5342 5343 5344 5345 5346 5347 5348 5349 5350 5351 5352 5353 5354 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722574 times)
kointrend

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 08:40:34 PM

Oooh, 3 months... still, 50 pages is a lot of writin'

We already introduced some of the concepts of Evolution in Amsterdam, the videos of the presentation should come out soon.  Besides the presentations in Amsterdam we had meetings with people from the industry and they were really impressed with the work Dash is doing. As a result of those meetings the idea to give Dash Evolution a proper introduction to the world in the next North American Bitcoin conference came to fruition.

This is a very prestigious event with a history of high profile speakers so we are really looking forward to this keynote.

Everyone on the team is really excited about the project we just came back from Europe Thursday night so more material will be coming out over the next couple of weeks, as everyone gets up to speed.

I would just like to remind everybody that this conference is where Ethereum was announced two years ago. Vitalik was literally mobbed after giving his speech, and the interest in the project soared so much that they cancelled the impending presale so they could "do it right" given the huge amount of interest he generated.
Thanks.
cryptonewb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 08:50:21 PM

question:

What % of the number of transactions are darksend transactions?

I want to know this, because fungibility depends on it... I learned that monero has mixing by default. What's more, mixing can be done client side (and even offline). So I want to know how DASH compares...

I mean, XMR tech seems to be solid, but DASh clearly has the first mover advantage and also offers other things like InstantX and a GUI. So for now I'll stick to DASh as long as the tech is usable and not flawed Smiley

I don't think the fungibility of Dash necessarily depends on which proportion of transactions are darksend transactions. The traceability of funds depends on the number of rounds of darksend mixing they go through. The more rounds of mixing, the more difficult it is to trace. If you receive funds which are then "blacklisted" you can always put the questionable funds through as many rounds of mixing as you want, then it will be impossible to say for sure that the funds that you hold are the blacklisted funds, as they will have passed through many different addresses in many different transactions.

One important difference between Dash and CryptoNote mixing is that with Dash it is done off chain by the Masternodes, as opposed to the on-chain mixing CryptoNote currencies use. I don't know enough about CryptoNote to go in to it in much detail, but I believe that while it may be impossible to trace transactions today, in the future the technology may exist to trace all mixing which has ever happened as it recorded in the blockchain.

All DASH transactions are engraved in the blockchain as well, so that doesn't really make a difference.

Transactions yes, but the mixing (linking inputs to outputs) is not. i.e. simplest example 3 people (A, B, and C) are involved in the mixing, the inputs to the mixing transaction are a, b, and c respectively. They are coins they got from a KYC source, i.e. they are not anonymous coins. A mixing transaction is constructed that will have outputs to fresh new addresses d, e, and f. Now when the money in d is spent, there is nothing in the blockchain from which could be determined to whom (A, B, or C) the d belongs to.

In reality it's more complicated than that as there are multiple mixing rounds, multiple inputs and outputs, and multiple different people mixing.

As for as I understand, with  cryptonote mixing you also can't determine which input is the real one. It seems that every transaction is mixed by default without needing a masternode. It's another approach, but I think in the end, DASH should try to incentivise every node to mix. seems like a better approach because every input will be fungible.
Having non-fungible coins on a network makes it vulnerable to blacklisting: some service could refuse mixed coins...

Did someone already answer my question about the possibility of idle masternodes? I asked if it is theoretically possible to have a masternode online that doesn't do the required work (intantX confirmations and mixing) but still receiving masternode rewards. There was so much trolling I probably missed the answer...
oaxaca

Activity: 671

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:17:45 PM

Did someone already answer my question about the possibility of idle masternodes? I asked if it is theoretically possible to have a masternode online that doesn't do the required work (intantX confirmations and mixing) but still receiving masternode rewards. There was so much trolling I probably missed the answer...

All nodes in the masternode network are in constant communication with each other.  They are "used" in a deterministic order when there is "work" to do.  This means that there are no idle masternodes.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:32:25 PM

Brainstorming..... thinking....

What function(s) - other than mining - could the GPU miners preform, for the DASH network?
Could they be reconfigured to preform, any other service(s), other than what services we currently have now?

What do you see as possibilities?
...if any.

Make a huge virtual world server, by utilizing their cpus and memory?  Make a rendering farm?  Rent it out to studios? Oops, actually, a rendering farm would use the GPU, but you could use the cpu to run servers?

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:40:49 PM

Oooh, 3 months... still, 50 pages is a lot of writin'

I'm pretty sure both papers, the 50 pager and 25 pager are pretty much all ready written (hence knowing the size) but it's all hush hush until release Wink  Or at least testing time Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Jestah

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:57:42 PM

What function(s) - other than mining - could the GPU miners preform, for the DASH network?
Could they be reconfigured to preform, any other service(s), other than what services we currently have now?

...if any.

Make a huge virtual world server, by utilizing their cpus and memory?  Make a rendering farm?  Rent it out to studios? Oops, actually, a rendering farm would use the GPU, but you could use the cpu to run servers?

That's actually a very interesting idea.
AzzAz
Legendary

Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:27:46 PM

Pure awesomeness

Hopefully this is funded as part of governance? 

If not, the costs of the travel, attendance etc. should be covered.
[/quote]
 You forgot, Evan instamined zillions :-)
kointrend

Activity: 655

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:44:54 PM

3282 Masternodes. Is it ATH?
Nope, it's 3288! Cool
http://178.254.18.153/~pub/masternode_count.png
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:56:34 PM

...if any.

Making GPU manufacturers exceedingly wealthy? Combining in a GPU megacluster to play counterstrike at 4x10^100 x 6x10^100 resolution? Wink There was big market for GPGPU servers at one stage, no idea what they where being used for and how the market is now but there could be a cloud computing type market there.

I have to admit, that if I had the money, I'd be making a rpi super computer, LOL (there is a professor and his students that did that (created an OS so it could all talk to one another, pretty freakin cool)

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:59:08 PM

A PR activist of another coin made a claim that InstantX is not safe and seems to have a lot of flaws. Anyone happen to know what these flaws are that he is talking about?

instant confirmations aren't safe. instantX seems to have a lot of flaws, so we are not messing with that.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 12:00:51 AM

I would just like to remind everybody that this conference is where Ethereum was announced two years ago. Vitalik was literally mobbed after giving his speech, and the interest in the project soared so much that they cancelled the impending presale so they could "do it right" given the huge amount of interest he generated.

Really?  Does that mean we might finally be heard?  I just want Evan to get a little respect.  LOL

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 12:11:35 AM

A PR activist of another coin made a claim that InstantX is not safe and seems to have a lot of flaws. Anyone happen to know what these flaws are that he is talking about?

instant confirmations aren't safe. instantX seems to have a lot of flaws, so we are not messing with that.

Sorry, there are no flaws and in fact instantX's performance is what Evolution, the next stage of Dash are built upon.  So that person has no idea of what he speaketh Smiley

I just checked the link and realized you got me, you bugger!  LOL

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 12:45:07 AM

Sorry, there are no flaws and in fact instantX's performance is what Evolution, the next stage of Dash are built upon.  So that person has no idea of what he speaketh Smiley

I just checked the link and realized you got me, you bugger!  LOL

Lol, was going to quote a point one of the others brought up and thought better of it Smiley It's not only 6 folks providing liquidity for mixing dumbasses, its 6 folks funded by the worlds first Decentralized Autonomous Organization to provide liquidity, there's hundreds mixing ensuring fungibility today and thousands are just months away.

1) the fact that you need liquidity providers to have somewhat usable mixing (still very slow) shows clearly that your system is flawed
2) the "decentralized autonomous organization" is neither decentralized, nor autonomous as it requires a "fund manager" for the liquidity providers.
3) instantX is a crazy form of "proof of stake" which is just flawed by design. You can't get consensus when miners decide to mine a double spend in stead of the "locked" transaction.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 12:50:02 AM

Lol, was going to quote a point one of the others brought up and thought better of it Smiley It's not only 6 folks providing liquidity for mixing dumbasses, its 6 folks funded by the worlds first Decentralized Autonomous Organization to provide liquidity, there's hundreds mixing ensuring fungibility today and thousands are just months away.

I was actually editing my answer with a detailed description on how IX works, when I looked up, saw Illodin's name, and thought WTF, he knows where to find this info, then hit the link and knew I was had, LOL.

Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 02:02:53 AM

1) the fact that you.....

Ah dnaleor, how are you son?

Looks like you are on shift for monitoring the DASH forum.  Don't deny you guys have a roster now,  i think it's cute.

Say hi to fluffy for me!

Hmmm.
Interesting let me try, this seem easy :
-Monero is flawed by design.

O.o it's easy, I'm good?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2015, 02:10:04 AM

-Peter Todd on InstantX

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 02:50:52 AM

The meeting is 2 days long?
Miami not so far from where I'm, but .. January don't think I could go.
Bridgewater

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:08:50 AM

What's the bitcoin rally about this time then ?

Keeps adding $10 a day.

Dash is proving very resistant to this rally and managing to ride the fiat wave for the most part. Almost no volume on the dips. Valuation tight-elastic.

(But I'd still like to know what's driving it: TA ? (1-week EMA crossover), Gemini ?, China safe-havens ? Public panic ? The media -throwing-in-the-towel-on-trying-to-convince-people-of-a-distinction-between-"blockchain-tech"-and-bitcoin ?.....add your favourite fundy.

the last auction of silk road coins is coming up on Nov 5th, they are pumping up the price so the bidders pay top dollar

That was my first guess, but we also need to remember that the block halving is finally approaching and it must get priced-in at some point.  Either the mining costs get cheaper, the hashrate drops or the price must go up. I don't think the current miners are going anywhere, so if something's gotta give it's going to be price.
Bridgewater

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:16:55 AM

...if any.

Making GPU manufacturers exceedingly wealthy? Combining in a GPU megacluster to play counterstrike at 4x10^100 x 6x10^100 resolution? Wink

Damn, that's a mighty big display!

I saw a strange dot in the northern sky yesterday. Guess it must have been a stuck pixel.
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 04:34:50 AM

...if any.

Making GPU manufacturers exceedingly wealthy? Combining in a GPU megacluster to play counterstrike at 4x10^100 x 6x10^100 resolution? Wink

Damn, that's a mighty big display!

I saw a strange dot in the northern sky yesterday. Guess it must have been a stuck pixel.

minecraft server could be run on top of MN i think...?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Pages: « 1 ... 5254 5255 5256 5257 5258 5259 5260 5261 5262 5263 5264 5265 5266 5267 5268 5269 5270 5271 5272 5273 5274 5275 5276 5277 5278 5279 5280 5281 5282 5283 5284 5285 5286 5287 5288 5289 5290 5291 5292 5293 5294 5295 5296 5297 5298 5299 5300 5301 5302 5303 [5304] 5305 5306 5307 5308 5309 5310 5311 5312 5313 5314 5315 5316 5317 5318 5319 5320 5321 5322 5323 5324 5325 5326 5327 5328 5329 5330 5331 5332 5333 5334 5335 5336 5337 5338 5339 5340 5341 5342 5343 5344 5345 5346 5347 5348 5349 5350 5351 5352 5353 5354 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: