Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:23:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 [5722] 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 5772 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722673 times)
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:53:36 PM

tungfa : maybe we can open a Dash main topic in https://bitco.in/forum/forums/cryptocurrencies-and-altcoins.22/
and keep it updated with relevant information / new announcements ?

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 04:13:29 PM

He sounded fairly supportive of alt coins, he suggests there is a potential scaling problem with the governance voting system.

Even still, his dialogue is a classic deflection without being negative about Dash. Not that it's his intention to be negative, but not to show he doesn't know all that much about it. This is pretty much standard with highly eloquent individuals. Politicians are extensively trained in this form of discourse.

Very common on TV and radio... there is actually a technical name which I forget right now.

"I think you are completely wrong and only say bogus, but I'm not going to tell you what"

"Ah yes, it very interesting you mention that. And I tend to agree with what you say. Nevertheless, there are other who believe that what I say actually has strong fundamentals, and "bogus" is in fact a cultural phenomena with a high degree of subjectiveness. Did you know the etymology of "bogus" actually comes from late 18th century, originally in the US, denoting a machine for making counterfeit money?"

Now tell me truthfully, when you read this^ did you hear Andrea's voice in your head?
I am a huge fan of Andreas myself, though what you are saying about the guy is not wrong. I think he is a master at public speaking, this is something I really admire in the guy and it goes a long way in evangelizing cryptocurrencies. To be the best public speaker in a subject does not require you to be the greatest expert in said subject, it is a different skill set. What Andreas does is performance and art, I look up to what he does hoping that one day I might be as good of a public speaker as he is.

I do respect his thinking, but it is good to keep in mind that when Andreas does a speech, there is acting as well as intellectualism, these two go together to arouse our emotions and inspire us. This I appreciate, I want to be inspired.

The term you are looking for might be demagogue or sophist. Though personally I think that is a bit harsh, I just think he is a great public speaker, knowing how to engage his audience and inspire, we should be thankful that we have such a person promoting cryptocurrency. Smiley

I completely agree with you!

Definietly not a demagogue. That is plain bullshit in layman's terms. Sophism is also not it, though comes closer, but not really what he does. He doesn't deceive anyone. He sometimes deflects by validating the "opposing" argument or question without exploring it's content, or adding to the train of thought. The term I'm looking for may no even exist in english, I know it in portuguese though my brain seems to not want to remember it, and it comes from the entertainment/political merketing field.

It's easy to tell once you understand what he is doing.

Still love all his appearance. He is a indeed and artist.
moocowmoo

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

bovine quadruped, professional loafer, dash dev

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 04:44:22 PM

Just added to the count too  Grin

Also a shout out to Moocowmoo and his DASHMAN masternode management utilities. Thanks for sharing with the community.

https://dashtalk.org/threads/dashman-linux-masternode-mangement-made-mootastic.6376/

If you are planning on setting up your first masternode then i would suggest the above utility and use one of the guides from the official forum:

https://dashtalk.org/forums/masternode-guides.66/

Thanks ceti
I like dashman also.
Dashman is good masternode manager.  
Increasing masternodes number,  there are many supporters to DASH.  

Thanks guys! I'm glad you find it useful!

I've been busy working on other projects, but I quietly added two commits last night to dashman:

Code:
# pull UdjinM6's latest boostrap.dat during 'dashman install'
commit 1ceead7b180dff2239915ca0ec5d2a5a63028e1c
    enh - bootstrap blockchain on install

# enable 'dashman install' and 'dashman update' on raspberry pi 2's
commit affab92f62663c85e5bbd3fd9a27095bffdcb77b
    enh - rpi2 support

do 'dashman sync' to pull them in.
(fresh clones will already have them)

Enjoy!

Oh, and I recommend Reubens latest guide.  It's up to date and features a lot of dashman! yay! Smiley

https://www.bolehvpn.net/blog/2016/02/07/what-is-a-dash-masternode-and-how-do-i-set-up-one/

tips: XmoocowYfrPKUR6p6M5aJZdVntQe71irCX | identity: https://keybase.io/moocowmoo
service: https://masternode.me -- The first automated masternode service. Ugly website, stellar uptimes and hands-on support. Over 150 nodes with 300+ days uptime!
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 04:53:48 PM

I completely agree with you!

Definietly not a demagogue. That is plain bullshit in layman's terms. Sophism is also not it, though comes closer, but not really what he does. He doesn't deceive anyone. He sometimes deflects by validating the "opposing" argument or question without exploring it's content, or adding to the train of thought. The term I'm looking for may no even exist in english, I know it in portuguese though my brain seems to not want to remember it, and it comes from the entertainment/political merketing field.

It's easy to tell once you understand what he is doing.

Still love all his appearance. He is a indeed and artist.
I also think there is a word that I am trying to think of that describes this, you might be thinking of the term Public Relations, I guess he is good PR for Bitcoin. Smiley

I think a better term might be rhetorician, a master of rhetoric. However it does not roll of the tongue as nicely does it. We could also say that Andreas has a silver tongue. Grin

He doesn't deceive anyone. He sometimes deflects by validating the "opposing" argument or question without exploring it's content, or adding to the train of thought.
This is common in philosophical argument, admittedly I do this myself, I like to think of it as having a flexible mind. See what I did there. Wink

Also know as "moving the goal posts" or "biting the Bullet". Often a consequence of both principled yet pragmatic thinking.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:01:10 PM

tungfa : maybe we can open a Dash main topic in https://bitco.in/forum/forums/cryptocurrencies-and-altcoins.22/
Great idea, there are a lot of good people on that forum, and not everyone is a fan of theymos. Wink
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:34:34 PM

Great idea, there are a lot of good people on that forum, and not everyone is a fan of theymos. Wink
Call me an old conspiracy theorist, but it is in the interests of the PTB to fracture bitcoin into as many pieces as possible, when I heard staff from the US state department were getting involved I figured subversion was almost complete, anything that threatens to end central bank power and the military industrial control mechanism will be infiltrated and splintered from the inside out, it is naive to assume otherwise. And when they won't shut up, they are killed, such as Arran Swartz,over 30 bankers (suicide by repeated shots of nails into the head), the list is endless. This guy inteviewed 100s of agents, he tells it as it is,
https://www.corbettreport.com/interview-709-douglas-valentine-on-ellsberg-and-the-cia/

https://youtu.be/6ir5Bbc0CSg

Have a nice day.

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:47:24 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2016, 09:04:34 PM by TanteStefana2

Good (very late, last 1/2 hour to) Morning everyone!  I finally got some proper rest, and feel better today ;P  Happy Valentine's day!  

I see Bitcoin is soaring up again.  That's nice, but isn't it strange that the oldest crypto-currency is more volatile than Dash?  It bounces up and down, and Dash is so stable.  I know it's because of our well thought out balancing act of incentivized nodes, but it still amazes me how stable Dash is.  Sure it's not exciting for a trader, but at the same time, you can see how Dash by far a more workable currency.  After all, a currency has to hold it's value, and if it changes so much constantly, you can't hold on to it, but have to exchange for fiat to have some sort of stability.  Sure Dash still moves up and down, all crypto-currencies are extremely new, but I can see a future where Dash will slowly rise, naturally through growth, at an overall stable rate.  

(replaced image to one better lined up and dates added in-between)

You can see, earlier on, we were way more reactive to the volatile Bitcoin market, today, with Bitcoin soaring up, we're flat-lined Smiley  This is amazing stuff IMHO

Edit:  Thinking more on this, it's probably due to the fact that there are hardly any exchanges that offer Dash services.  This is rather depressing.  It also boggles my mind Sad

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 08:02:56 PM

Call me an old conspiracy theorist, but it is in the interests of the PTB to fracture bitcoin into as many pieces as possible, when I heard staff from the US state department were getting involved I figured subversion was almost complete, anything that threatens to end central bank power and the military industrial control mechanism will be infiltrated and splintered from the inside out, it is naive to assume otherwise. And when they won't shut up, they are killed, such as Arran Swartz,over 30 bankers (suicide by repeated shots of nails into the head), the list is endless. This guy inteviewed 100s of agents, he tells it as it is,
https://www.corbettreport.com/interview-709-douglas-valentine-on-ellsberg-and-the-cia/

https://youtu.be/6ir5Bbc0CSg

Have a nice day.

Hubbie is always pulling me back from my own conspiracy theories, LOL, but you gotta wonder how much is "conspiracy" and how much is really just an open game of chess.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 08:54:59 PM

Hubbie is always pulling me back from my own conspiracy theories, LOL, but you gotta wonder how much is "conspiracy" and how much is really just an open game of chess.
Thats why Douglas Valentine lets the agents tell their own stories and tries not to present his opinion on what they do, apparently many don't fit into normal society which suits their occupation because of what they are involved in (eg international drug dealing, funding terrorists, false flags, hits, torture etc).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Program-Douglas-Valentine/dp/0595007384

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:02:54 PM

Thats why Douglas Valentine lets the agents tell their own stories and tries not to present his opinion on what they do, apparently many don't fit into normal society which suits their occupation because of what they are involved in (eg international drug dealing, funding terrorists, false flags, hits, torture etc).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Program-Douglas-Valentine/dp/0595007384

Thanks, I'm going to sit back and listen Smiley

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:46:14 PM

Nodecount now motoring which means the reserve market continues to attract investment - now at an all time high.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:34:17 PM

Nodecount now motoring which means the reserve market continues to attract investment - now at an all time high.

yep, new ATH looks like this now :

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
Bridgewater

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:05:42 PM

Thinking more on this, it's probably due to the fact that there are hardly any exchanges that offer Dash services.

You may be right.  Coinmarketcap is a sea of green currently, except for Dash, which is down 9% in the last 7 days.  But, as others have pointed out, the pendulum swings both ways; we were the only green in a sea of red just a few weeks ago.

Regarding your volatility observation, I think you would need to have both Dash/BTC and BTC/USD lines on the SAME chart and view them logarithmically in order to compare the difference.   You can do that on bitinfocharts:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/price-btc-dash.html

Now go to the bottom left and switch from linear to log, and then change the time to 3 months or something, and you will see that bitcoin is much more flat than Dash.   Dash swinging from .011 to .09 is a larger percentage than BTC swinging between 370 and 400.

Edit: looks like you can only compare USD value on the same chart.  But it should still be representative of the price behavior even with Dash/USD.
Riseman

Activity: 690

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:14:19 PM

Maybe it's because these are mostly speculative pumps and Dash is not attractive for manipulators because of its distribution.
bigrcanada1

Activity: 673
Merit: 531

Proud Lifetime DASH Foundation Member

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 11:38:49 PM

Maybe it's because these are mostly speculative pumps and Dash is not attractive for manipulators because of its distribution.

Perfect.  Adds stability.  In a perfect world a few percent increase every year is what you would want.  Once there is double digit growth, based no increase of real world adoption or technological innovation, we are in a situation that is being driven by manipulators.  Not ideal.  Time will tell...but I for one want sloooooow growth.   My masternodes keep plugging away and plus a slow increase in value and I'm more then happy.  Volatility is NOT your friend.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:46:37 PM

The only stable currencies are ones that are designed to be stable (i.e. pegged) against some reference asset or currency.

Dash is a risk asset - it is not monetarily designed to be stable. It's designed to reflect the balance of supply and demand. (It can't do that AND be stable since those priorities are in conflict).

I think there's confusion about currencies being good if they're "stable". Yes - if that's what they're designed to do (for example Fiat responds to demand for more liquidity by issuing more currency and adjusting interest rates, not necessarily through price inflation so it's more stable than, say a limited supply commodity like gold).

Cryptocurrencies like Dash and bitcoin however cannot do this. They respond to demands for liquidity through price inflation.

The cryptocurrencies which are designed for stability are things like Bitshares (the assets - not the shares) or NuBits. Have a look at the dollar price for BitUSD  or NuBits or Tether.

What do you notice ? Rock solid against the dollar - even if they are all over the place against bitcoin. That's because they were designed to be used as currencies, actual trading currencies in which prices of goods and services could be denominated and accordingly they have some kind of stability against volatility built in. They use a variety of mechanisms for this - some of which are very elegant such as playing the demand for risk assets off against the demand for stable currency in order for one to support the other and keep the dollar value pegged through market forces.

Even though Bitcoin and Dash are effective stores of value, I don't see them ever being used as currencies in the sense that goods and services will be priced in those denominations.

Bitpay does for Bitcoin what BitAssets do for Bitshares - provides it with a liquidity response buffer in a stable currency against the goods and services which are being traded. That means that Overstock can price their stuff in dollars, receive payment in bitcoin, and actually receive the amount of dollars that they priced the good in, even if the bitcoin supply/demand balance moved since they set their prices.

So we should not judge Dash on it's stability. We should judge it on it's ability to reflect supply and demand for Dash  Wink

Great fun all this stuff isn't it !  Grin
bigrcanada1

Activity: 673
Merit: 531

Proud Lifetime DASH Foundation Member

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 11:49:34 PM

The only stable currencies are ones that are designed to be stable (i.e. pegged) against some reference asset or currency.

Dash is a risk asset - it is not monetarily designed to be stable. It's designed to reflect the balance of supply and demand. (It can't do that AND be stable since those priorities are in conflict).

I think there's confusion about currencies being good if they're "stable". Yes - if that's what they're designed to do (for example Fiat responds to demand for more liquidity by issuing more currency and adjusting interest rates, not necessarily through price inflation so it's more stable than, say a limited supply commodity like gold).

Cryptocurrencies like Dash and bitcoin however cannot do this. They respond to demands for liquidity through price inflation.

The cryptocurrencies which are designed for stability are things like Bitshares (the assets - not the shares) or NuBits. Have a look at the dollar price for BitUSD  or NuBits or Tether.

What do you notice ? Rock solid against the dollar - even if they are all over the place against bitcoin. That's because they were designed to be used as currencies, actual trading currencies in which prices of goods and services could be denominated and accordingly they have some kind of stability against volatility built in. They use a variety of mechanisms for this - some of which are very elegant such as playing the demand for risk assets off against the demand for stable currency in order for one to support the other and keep the dollar value pegged through market forces.

Even though Bitcoin and Dash are effective stores of value, I don't see them ever being used as currencies in the sense that goods and services will be priced in those denominations.

Bitpay does for Bitcoin what BitAssets do for Bitshares - provides it with a liquidity response buffer in a stable currency against the goods and services which are being traded. That means that Overstock can price their stuff in dollars, receive payment in bitcoin, and actually receive the amount of dollars that they priced the good in, even if the bitcoin supply/demand balance moved since they set their prices.

So we should not judge Dash on it's stability. We should judge it on it's ability to reflect supply and demand for Dash  Wink

Great fun all this stuff isn't it !  Grin

Interesting...I've never thought of it that way.  I suppose that based on what your are saying there is built in volatility.  I guess my thought is if graphed out over several years...the price would move up an down...maybe even drastically at times...but over the long period, using averages...the "investment" would increase in value.  Thoughts?
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:09:10 AM

I suppose that based on what your are saying there is built in volatility.

Yes - that's what I'm saying. There are 2 distinct types of currencies:

[1] - ones with built in stability
[2] - ones with built in volatility

Limited supply commodities, Bitcoin, Dash and such are of type [2]. Pegged, and asset backed currencies such as the ones I mentioned are of type 1.

I guess my thought is if graphed out over several years...the price would move up an down...maybe even drastically at times...but over the long period, using averages...the "investment" would increase in value.  Thoughts?

These types of analyses are a bit incomplete without qualifying the currency pair. So when we use terminology like "stability", "liquidity" or even "price" we need to say "stability against what", "liquidity in what" and "price against what". For example the stable cryptos I mentioned above are designed to be stable against the dollar. But they are volatile against bitcoin. Dash gets more "dollar" liquidity by raising its price against the dollar but it doesn't get any more Dash liquidity by doing that (it only gets that through mining).

When you say "the price moved up and down" I'm not sure if you meant the Dash price against bitcoin, the bitcoin price against the dollar (which would in turn imply the Dash price against the dollar) or the price of goods and services denominated in Dash (which is what I think you meant).

Basically, if you priced retail goods in a limited supply crypto, then there would be far to much volatility for commerce to function I imagine. The volatility wouldn't only come from Forex trading (or change in value against other currencies). It would simply come from the expansions and contractions in the economy. This would be less as the marketcap grew obviously but it would still be there.

I think thats the problem that Yanis Varoufakis had with bitcoin. He just thought it was ridiculous straight off the bat, but I think he misidentified the role that cryptocurrencies are strongest in. He was seeing them as an actual front door currency rather than a base asset.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:26:26 AM

Thinking more on this, it's probably due to the fact that there are hardly any exchanges that offer Dash services.

You may be right.  Coinmarketcap is a sea of green currently, except for Dash, which is down 9% in the last 7 days.  But, as others have pointed out, the pendulum swings both ways; we were the only green in a sea of red just a few weeks ago.

Regarding your volatility observation, I think you would need to have both Dash/BTC and BTC/USD lines on the SAME chart and view them logarithmically in order to compare the difference.   You can do that on bitinfocharts:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/price-btc-dash.html

Now go to the bottom left and switch from linear to log, and then change the time to 3 months or something, and you will see that bitcoin is much more flat than Dash.   Dash swinging from .011 to .09 is a larger percentage than BTC swinging between 370 and 400.

Edit: looks like you can only compare USD value on the same chart.  But it should still be representative of the price behavior even with Dash/USD.

Oh, er  Nevermind Wink

I knew I was getting something wrong, LOL

tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 01:19:55 AM

Good thinking
tx for the ping, we are up and rolling !
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/dash-digitalcash.891/
 Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 [5722] 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 5755 5756 5757 5758 5759 5760 5761 5762 5763 5764 5765 5766 5767 5768 5769 5770 5771 5772 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: